AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-05-04, 07:49   Link #21
Inactive
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Russia
Send a message via ICQ to Inactive
Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
That's a lot of moolah for some ancient fanservice.
Old shit = new shit, old win > new win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Majokko Megu-chan is not one of those influential series
It is. Go back to school and learn anime history again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Seriously, go do something productive with your life instead.
Are you talking to yourself again?
Inactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 08:03   Link #22
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive View Post
Old shit = new shit, old win > new win.
It is. Go back to school and learn anime history again.
Are you talking to yourself again?
Indeed! Megu-chan is the first _shoujo_ magical girl show to include fanservice elements like panty shots to attract a secondary creepy guy demographic.

If that isn't influential to the current anime industry I don't know what is!

(It also introduced the concept of a witch "rival" to magical girl shows.)
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 15:56   Link #23
tyciol
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Hey Quarkboy, I herd u might be translating Maiichingu Machiko Sensei Episode 3 this autumn. Was I misinformed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
if you had actually read the thread you'd have noticed that the only known translation of those three episodes were VHS fansubs from ten years ago, that couldn't be located at all even five years ago when this thread was posted. it is highly doubtful that the scripts even exist in separate form anymore, and if they do, good luck with contacting whoever is sitting on them.
e: looks like "they" (she) never finished the translation at all
Well, even if the scripts don't exist as text files anymore (I guess we can't rip them from hardsubs) one could always convert the VHS into digital format and watch it all retro low-qual style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
I hear that once people claim on the internet that they will do something they are bound by that promise even five years later
Damn straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
This is actually a pretty interesting post. Disregarding the somewhat nonsensical argument that you'd have to watch a show that is described as a "magical girl fanservice anime" in order to know that it is shitty (it's pretty much shitty by definition)
I doubt everyone would agree with that. Fanservice is subjective opinion. I'm sure lots of people saw fanservice in CCS, and some people might try and say that's all it is, when it clearly isn't.

Many like to judge shows after watching them, not before based on others' analysis. Many can find good things in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
there's the much more interesting subject of the general watchability of anime from the 1970's to deal with.
A good point, but many of us anime historian-wannabes are willing to deal with low quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Today, about three (or maybe five if you're feeling really generous) of these can be considered to have been so influential or are so historically significant that they might be worth watching for someone who is a huge anime nerd, but you'd better bring a lot of fucking patience because most of them are really fucking boring, even to an interested viewer. Note that I said "influential or historically significant", not "good". They might have been A Thing at the time, but to a modern viewer they just aren't very interesting. At all.

Either way, Majokko Megu-chan is not one of those influential series, and thus, there really aren't any legitimate reasons for watching at all. [mod edit: removed attack] There are three thousand years' worth of literature out there waiting for you if human imagination is your thing, or fifteen billion light years of universe in any direction waiting to be explored if the wonders of nature is your thing.
I think there's a legitimate reason for watching EVERYTHING. If we don't watch them, stuff like this is going to get forgotten.

While I agree the newer series tend to be more interesting, better animation, story, etc. in many cases, they're in less danger of being forgotten.

Plus, sometimes people are in moods where they can tolerate this stuff. I may have put Perrine Monogatari and Little Princess Sara on hold for a while while I watch some demonic ghost anime, but that doesn't mean they're useless. Sometimes a slow-paced boring anime is just what you need when you want to sip some tea or share it with a friend.

New anime with all their panchira shots can be a little intimidating if you're trying to introduce the genre to someone unfamiliar with it.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 23:59   Link #24
Quarkboy
Anime Translator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
Hey Quarkboy, I herd u might be translating Maiichingu Machiko Sensei Episode 3 this autumn. Was I misinformed?
Um, no? Not that I've heard of.
__________________
Yomiuri Television Enterprise
International Media Strategy Chief
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 09:10   Link #25
tugatosmk
1982 tuga
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portugal
I remember watching here at Portugal the dubbed version that circled around Europe in the 80's/90's thanks to Italy - the "censored" version.
Back in 1990 or 1991, I remember the Portuguese dub being good, while the series itself was "70's anime average quality" but still watchable, I kind of liked it back then.

However, only recently I discovered the original opening of this series (I only had acess to the STUPID oh so STUPID song the Italians made...), and I found it to be incredibly catchy, it reminded me the Cutey Honey's opening.

Concerning the discussion of whether such old anime should be worthy of fansubbing... my opinion is that it should be fansubbed should someone want to do it. To me, old anime (and I mean OLD, like 70's or 80's) should be treated like old archaeological discoveries that need to be restored and preserved for the remainder of time in the current universal language, the English language. Of course, being the vast majority of the current fansubbers "youngsters" (compared to me, anyway, lol), it's expected to realize that those shows aren't their next target (they naturally probably never even heard of them before).

Sure, the 70's quality "pre-Gundam" may not be that great (Lupin III '71 or Attacker No. 1 being the exception to me, for example), but to "ostracize" them just because they're old doesn't seem to be enough reason for me.

The fansubbers have the last saying, though, and I or anyone else can't demand or even expect them to fansub whatever series we wish. Of course, hope springs eternal...
__________________
"Nous dirigeons vers un système planétaire inconnu..."
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 04:07   Link #26
ChazzySan
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Beach C.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
This is actually a pretty interesting post. Disregarding the somewhat nonsensical argument that you'd have to watch a show that is described as a "magical girl fanservice anime" in order to know that it is shitty (it's pretty much shitty by definition), there's the much more interesting subject of the general watchability of anime from the 1970's to deal with.

In anime, the 70's as an era can pretty much be said to have lasted between 1970 (Ashita no Joe, which is pretty much The Beginning of Anime) and late 1978 or early 1979 (Kidou Senshi Gundam, Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999; these all belong to the 80's more than they belong to the 70's). During this time period, about 150 anime series were produced for television. Today, about three (or maybe five if you're feeling really generous) of these can be considered to have been so influential or are so historically significant that they might be worth watching for someone who is a huge anime nerd, but you'd better bring a lot of fucking patience because most of them are really fucking boring, even to an interested viewer. Note that I said "influential or historically significant", not "good". They might have been A Thing at the time, but to a modern viewer they just aren't very interesting. At all.

Either way, Majokko Megu-chan is not one of those influential series, and thus, there really aren't any legitimate reasons for watching at all. [mod edit: removed attack] There are three thousand years' worth of literature out there waiting for you if human imagination is your thing, or fifteen billion light years of universe in any direction waiting to be explored if the wonders of nature is your thing.
Okay, so you don't like Vintage Mahou Shoujo that doesn't mean it sucks. I just so happen to be a big fan of 70's shoujo ,mostly because I find the vintage shoujo style totes adorable, but just because you think something is boring and a waist of time doesn't make it so.

You should know that the 1970's were a huge break through in mahou shoujo A.k.a. "magical girl'' anime. Seeing as how the first magical girl anime came out in the late 60's and was inspired by the tv show Bewitched. the 70's were literally the growing period for Mahou Shoujo Anime and Shoujo anime all around.

Majokko Megu-chan was an anime series that Highly influenced not just the future of magic girl/shoujo anime but anime all together, i'm not saying fanservice is the best thing ever but Megu-chan did pioneer it. and lots of other great Anime came from the 70's i.e. Cutie Honey and Candy Candy. and a great deal many of these anime are highly cherished in Japan.

So next time please try to have your facts in order before you bash on the humble beginnings of anime and the people who truly enjoy anime. I'm not saying your opinion isn't worth while, I'm just saying don't act like you all dat and a bag of chips when you could be insulting the creators of the very anime you personally enjoy. <3
ChazzySan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 12:20   Link #27
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ISDB-T
Age: 27
Good job getting trolled by a post that's well over a year old, I guess? I mean, I'm impressed people even try to defend the whole "fanservice magical girl" thing as if it was something with literary merit and not just one in a very long series of Japanese pop culture gimmicks, one dumber than the other, but finding and bumping this ancient thread just to tell me that your particular favorite gimmick most definitely isn't boring at all isn't impressive, it's just embarrassing for everyone involved.

Also, you seem to think I enjoy anime. I'm deeply offended by this.
__________________
| ffmpegsource
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 14:42   Link #28
ChazzySan
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Beach C.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Good job getting trolled by a post that's well over a year old, I guess? I mean, I'm impressed people even try to defend the whole "fanservice magical girl" thing as if it was something with literary merit and not just one in a very long series of Japanese pop culture gimmicks, one dumber than the other, but finding and bumping this ancient thread just to tell me that your particular favorite gimmick most definitely isn't boring at all isn't impressive, it's just embarrassing for everyone involved.

Also, you seem to think I enjoy anime. I'm deeply offended by this.
well if you don't like anime then why are you here? I mean seriously, you think the people on this site are sad.... then what does that make you? oh and btw I am not to big on fan service ,mostly because i'm gay, but I do like sappy girly stuff, so i'm the perfect candidate for Shoujo anime. I know how old the post is, it could have been 3 years old. I just didn't care, i wanted to say my say and so I did. I wasn't sure if you were trololing, but if you actually were serious I did want to provide alittle bit of fact.
ChazzySan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-29, 18:34   Link #29
jfs
Aegisub dev
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazzySan View Post
well if you don't like anime then why are you here? I mean seriously, you think the people on this site are sad.... then what does that make you? oh and btw I am not to big on fan service ,mostly because i'm gay, but I do like sappy girly stuff, so i'm the perfect candidate for Shoujo anime. I know how old the post is, it could have been 3 years old. I just didn't care, i wanted to say my say and so I did. I wasn't sure if you were trololing, but if you actually were serious I did want to provide alittle bit of fact.
You seem to misunderstand the relationship between mahou shoujo and shoujo (there is none) and not actually have read synopses of this particular series (because they don't sound like the "sappy girly stuff" you want.) To elaborate a bit, mahou shoujo refers to a theme/genre of anime, which features young girls with magical powers, and implies having one of a bunch of typical set-ups for those powers to be relevant in. On the other hand shoujo refers to a target group for a work, girls around age 11-16, but implies nothing about theme or genre. (Although typically stories for that group have romantic plots of some kind. It's still not a genre.)
Either way, you should probably check what you're wishing for before doing so, because it seems this show isn't what you think it is.
And what's wrong with spending a minute a day checking a site for potential laughs from nerds who take cheap entertainment way too seriously?
__________________

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 02:07   Link #30
ChazzySan
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Beach C.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs View Post
You seem to misunderstand the relationship between mahou shoujo and shoujo (there is none) and not actually have read synopses of this particular series (because they don't sound like the "sappy girly stuff" you want.) To elaborate a bit, mahou shoujo refers to a theme/genre of anime, which features young girls with magical powers, and implies having one of a bunch of typical set-ups for those powers to be relevant in. On the other hand shoujo refers to a target group for a work, girls around age 11-16, but implies nothing about theme or genre. (Although typically stories for that group have romantic plots of some kind. It's still not a genre.)
Either way, you should probably check what you're wishing for before doing so, because it seems this show isn't what you think it is.
And what's wrong with spending a minute a day checking a site for potential laughs from nerds who take cheap entertainment way too seriously?
okay well that is highly arguable because its a matter of perspective, but this is actually becoming a waist of my time. So i'm just going to go ahead and say you win. I like being a nerd btw,and their is no shame in that hater. But you know what, if you want to believe that makes someone the worst kind of person that you business, any which way I am done none the less. you are rite i am wrong, you win, I have better things to do. bye <3
ChazzySan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.