AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-29, 23:45   Link #121
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post

To be fair though, I never liked Buriki's designs. But holy hell is that p awful. Ah well, at least Uchoten Kazoku shows that PA is actually trying for once as that looks different in art style and direction to anything they've done in the past.
Thats unfair.

Buriki's designs are good.

And PAW killed Kumeta designs... ugh... the noses... is that hard to make them into anime? Somebody call Shinbo please .

Btw, Kyoani designs has no spines on them, way too tiny hands and feets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I must be a M or something because despite being a PA Works fanboy I find it extremely amusing and enjoyable when people bash PA for da lulz including myself.
I'll give you only that.
__________________

Deal with it!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 00:16   Link #122
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
PA Works is like Kyoani tier when it comes to character designs lately (aka awful). Same looking shit or exaggerately moe-ifying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Btw, Kyoani designs has no spines on them, way too tiny hands and feets.
*cough*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
But at least they'll be the shotas in drag to laugh at some point (or eyeroll depending on what side of the fence you are). Okada will make sure of that.
You keep saying this, but that doesn't make it true. How many of her shows have had characters in drag, exactly? One? Two?
Besides, a ton of shows these days have crossdressing shotas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I must be a M or something because despite being a PA Works fanboy
You know, I've never understood why this studio is so popular among Western fans. Virtually all of their shows are incredibly unimpressive on every level.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 00:44   Link #123
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat
PA Works is like Kyoani tier when it comes to character designs lately (aka awful). Same looking shit or exaggerately moe-ifying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
You keep saying this, but that doesn't make it true. How many of her shows have had characters in drag, exactly? One? Two?
Besides, a ton of shows these days have crossdressing shotas.
On top of my head: Hanasaku Iroha, Wandering Son, Lupin, Aquarion EVOL, Anohana, Toradora. I'm sure there's more in the "lesser known" works shes done. Yes, I reliase half of these it was present in the source material, but it still doesn't change the fact that majority of Okada shows have some form of male emasculation, usually in the form of crossdressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon
You know, I've never understood why this studio is so popular among Western fans. Virtually all of their shows are incredibly unimpressive on every level.
Your opinion, but since we are on the topic, let me share you mine. I'll also put it under a spoiler tab in case the mods decide to nuke it for offtopic, because it is offtopic and I don't want to create a thread just for it.

Spoiler for Offtopic talk regarding PA Works and other studios:


There, I think I sufficiently showed by fanboyism with that . See I don't bash things all the time.
__________________

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-06-30 at 01:04. Reason: Added some stuff.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 00:59   Link #124
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
PA Works is noted by many because they make a lot of original anime, which has its own appeal. And certainly they are responsible for quite a few moe characters. On average, I may trust a PA works character to be better as of late, over a Kyoani one.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 01:11   Link #125
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
exaggerately moe-ifying
Hyouka is only show on that list where they "moe-fied" the original designs. All the others looked more or less like they ended up being originally. Haruhi 2009 is actually more like the original art than the first season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Yes, I reliase half of these it was present in the source material, but it still doesn't change the fact that majority of Okada shows have some form of male emasculation, usually in the form of crossdressing.
SO MANY SHOWS have things like that. You only notice it in Okada's shows because you don't normally pay attention to scriptwriters, who, by the way, don't always have that much power over a show's content.
What will you say if Nagi no Asukara doesn't have the boys crossdressing in any way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
There, I think I sufficiently showed by fanboyism with that . See I don't bash things all the time.
Funny, that whole wall of text was you bashing KyoAni.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 01:46   Link #126
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
SO MANY SHOWS have things like that. You only notice it in Okada's shows because you don't normally pay attention to scriptwriters, who, by the way, don't always have that much power over a show's content.
What will you say if Nagi no Asukara doesn't have the boys crossdressing in any way?
Many shows have a lot of things, and sure I'll give you that the human mind tends to see patterns when they're aren't. But this is no less wrong then saying that Togashi from HxH often likes to put genderly ambiguous characters even when many other shows do the same even though most of the examples are cited from just two. Sure, it's not fair to attribute adaptations of works in, but most of those works described above were original works which the writer has more influence in. It wouldn't be too out of place to have such an expectation with one Mari Okada on this upcoming anime, though yes, it may not actually happen. The world will continue to turn regardless.

Quote:
bashing KyoAni.
Only half of it was, though I'm pretty apathetic and disagree with most of it. This is a topic for another time and place.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 03:28   Link #127
Nachtwandler
Yurifag
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kharkiv, Ukraine
Age: 26
How I'm pissed of people harassing PAW. Especially than it comes to animation quality and charadesignes?

They butched the charadesigns? Where? PAW are one of the studios which has perfect balance here. They fit the designs to main studio style but always keep them recognizable. Just compare how A1 butched Mel Kishida's designs for Sora no Woto and how PAW adapted them for Hana-saku Iroha, or how A1 butched designes in SAO and how 'typemoonish" they are in PAWs Canaan.

Their designs look the same? someone should clean their eyes or buy the glasses

Their animes are visually unimpressive? Than what studio could beat them where? In fact only KyoAni keeps better level in their works
__________________
The thing I hate the most of english fansubbers is than they keep honorifics in European-stylized animes. For this I want to kill.

My Anime list
My VN list
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 04:20   Link #128
RollingPenguin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
PA works animation is usually horrible,but some of their works are decent like HanaIro.Their background work is outsourced to different studio,but they look nice.
I am always surprised when people say that they produce well animated works,I am guessing that it is mostly because background work is good,and because people confuse art and animation a lot.
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 04:23   Link #129
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
The animation in most PA shows is... bad, and even if you somehow think animation is equivalent to how on-model the characters are so that everything looks pretty in screenshots, they can't even manage that.
Really, like I said, I can't understand why PA Works is considered to be anywhere near KyoAni's level.
Maybe Nagi no Asukara will be different though, we'll have to see.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 04:40   Link #130
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Spoiler for More offtopic that isn't about Nagi no Asu Kara:


And that is why I'm skeptical about this series. Because it falls in the latter. Cute girls? Check. Melodrama? Check. Love triangle romance? Check. Mari Okada writing another character drama blah blah blah? Check. It's just Key and Anohana done by another studio.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 04:57   Link #131
Nachtwandler
Yurifag
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kharkiv, Ukraine
Age: 26
Proofs. Or all this is just a subjective shit. Just post the examples of "bad animation" from PAW. RGD didn't count. And I mean animation not charadesigns which are subjective.
__________________
The thing I hate the most of english fansubbers is than they keep honorifics in European-stylized animes. For this I want to kill.

My Anime list
My VN list
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 05:07   Link #132
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
RDG wasn't that bad... visually. Though I had major problems with it in terms of pacing. Another adaptation that failed cause it only had 1cour worth of time. I'm seeing this trend too often this days. If I was to say the series that looked the worst from a PA production, it would have to be Another. Too many still frames in that, although what was animated was still pretty decent.

I doubt Nagi no Asu Kara is gonna face any budget issues. It's been in production for a long time, first announced more than a year ago, and it's an anime original... by Mari Okada. So it's bound to get a big budget. Content wise is a totally different story.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 05:11   Link #133
Nachtwandler
Yurifag
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kharkiv, Ukraine
Age: 26
I personally like all the originals of PAW. And most of Okada's work(the only one from her I watched but disliked was AnoHana). It's just the matter of taste.
__________________
The thing I hate the most of english fansubbers is than they keep honorifics in European-stylized animes. For this I want to kill.

My Anime list
My VN list
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 08:07   Link #134
RollingPenguin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Like I have said before almost every single anime created by PA works has a bad animation,and inconsistent art style.
And I am not fan of KyoAni,but to deny that they produce the best animated TV works is baffling (from strictly technical point,I am not talking about stories and characters).But dont listen to me,listen to one of best animators around who had this to say about KyoAni http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=3917.
Yeah...
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 08:25   Link #135
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
Like I have said before almost every single anime created by PA works has a bad animation,and inconsistent art style.
And I am not fan of KyoAni,but to deny that they produce the best animated TV works is baffling (from strictly technical point,I am not talking about stories and characters).But dont listen to me,listen to one of best animators around who had this to say about KyoAni http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=3917.
Yeah...
Spoiler for More offtopic...:
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 09:11   Link #136
RollingPenguin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
How am I supposed to find this very credible This is why I take can't take any poster that decides to bash on PAW visuals be it animation or background art but praise Kyoani to the heavens very seriously. Particularly when they go how wonderful K-on was visually. Want to know something that was truly beautiful in terms of animation? Go see any of Redline, Garden of Words or the Mardock Scramble movies. Don't go "But they are movies!" because Kyoani has done K-on movie and Disappearance and they don't even come remotely close to what those three achieved.
Spoiler for offtopic:
RollingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 09:51   Link #137
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
PA works anywhere near Kyoani level? Aside from visuals Kyoani need to step up their game. Even in popular "commercialised" titles from popular LN, manga and whatnot, they are getting their asses kicked both in popularity and in sales from the likes of IG, Sunrise, A1 and JC Staff. And don't get me started on anime originals because Kyoani anime originals are laughable.
Da fuck is this? I mean you're free to hate whoever you want to hate but typing out flat out lies is pretty pathetic. The best selling IG show of the last 13 years is Kuroko's Basket @ 24,433 a volume. They have had 5 shows crack the 10k mark since the year 2000 compared to 11 by KyoAni, even though they have multiple studios and have way more output.

And yes Shingeki will probably outsell any KyoAni title but considering the amount of stills, long recaps and slow pacing it and poor production values after the first few episodes would've sold no matter who made the show, likewise with A-1 and SAO, the immense popularity of the source material meant they were destined to be hits.

The last JC staff show to crack 10k was Index II in 2010 which barely outsold Chuunibyou, laughable considering how popular the Index franchise is compared to the unknown Chuunibyou.

This is some dumb shit, and PAW have shit visuals *insert the infamous neogaf angel beats pic* compared to KyoAni, deal with it.

*chuckles while watching the cgi background characters move like stiffs, and to think I used to defend this shit when True Tears aired saying it was a cost cutting measure, wait until they're get bigger budget!*

Edit - oh wow comparing Redline, something which cost people careers and nearly destroyed Madhouse to KyoAni, lmao @ that desperation. Still doesn't change KA >PAW.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 10:28   Link #138
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
SO MANY SHOWS have things like that. You only notice it in Okada's shows because you don't normally pay attention to scriptwriters, who, by the way, don't always have that much power over a show's content.
What will you say if Nagi no Asukara doesn't have the boys crossdressing in any way?
Dude, I think the reactions towards crossdressing in Okada's shows can be ridiculously pissy at times but there's no doubt Okada likes to crossdress her characters. She only has a few original works so it may be inappropriate to draw conclusions from a small sample size but there has been crossdressing in most of them (Ano Hana, HSI, Mine Fujiko) and the general feeling is that it's more common in her shows. Of course it does also happen in shows without her but we're talking about degrees here.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 10:55   Link #139
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Ok...I'm just going to ignore he last page or so and carry on

Sad to not see Kanami Sekiguchi involved in this but I'll take Yuriko Ishii, hopefully the fact she hasn't had a big involvement in much of P.A latest work and the fact that we did get a trailer with actual animation footage 1 year in advance means they've been working on this for a while.
__________________
totoum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 11:03   Link #140
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Guys, we have threads were the inner workings of each studio can be discussed. Please try to keep this one focused on the show itself.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.