AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-05-22, 05:32   Link #161
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Officer is reunited with suicidal man he talked down from from the Golden Gate Bridge eight years ago... to find he's now happily married with two kids

Quote:
A San Francisco man who almost took his life eight years ago by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge has been reunited with the hero who saved his life.

Kevin Berthia was perched on the iconic bridge ready to take a fatal leap on March 11, 2005, when he heard the voice of California Highway Patrol officer Kevin Briggs calling out to him from above.

Over 60 life-changing minutes, Briggs managed to convince Berthia, as he has done with hundreds of suicidal men and women, to climb back over the rail and give life another shot. Since that significant day Berthia hasn't looked back and is now happily married with two children.And this week he was able to thank the man who made all that possible. The pair reunited as part of an emotional ceremony honoring Briggs and other members of the CHP known as the Guardians of the Golden Gate Bridge, whose job it is to gently talk people like Berthia down from the structure.

'It was phenomenal,' Berthia, 30, told Yahoo News about the reunion at the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention public service ceremony.

I didn't know what I was going to feel, or how I was going to react,' he said. 'But when I first saw him, he walked up me and I just shook his hand. It felt like I had known this man my whole life. The nerves weren't there. It was just two old friends being reunited.'

As he presented Briggs with the award, Bertha explained how grateful he was for Briggs' help and urged others to seek help, insisting they could too get better and life a fulfilled life.

'I didn't want him to try and stop me but now I'm glad he did,' he told the crowd. 'All I can say is that I am truly grateful. You gave me an opportunity to live.'

The pair were reconnected after a Yahoo documentary in December 2012 chronicled the work of Briggs' team, centering on Berthia's case.

A resounding image of the man clinging to the bridge as Briggs spoke to him provoked an outpouring of support from the Bay area community.

After he received the award, Briggs said he was 'very humbled, honored and happy' to have the recognition for his team's hard work.

'I (accept this award) on behalf of the California Highway Patrol and police officers across this country who strive to do their best each and every time they receive a suicide call.

'During my career I've encountered numerous suicide attempts on the Golden Gate Bridge. Of those attempts, I've only lost one person. It's something you never forget.

'Kevin found the courage in himself that day to climb back over the rail, thus beginning a new stage in his life. Here, standing before us, is the reason we do what we do.'

Briggs said, since Yahoo's video, he had been contacted to get his life rights for a movie and other police departments have called to speak to him about the CHP's work.

'It's all been very humbling, to be honest,' he said.

Briggs, a cancer survivor and army veteran, first met with Berthia's mother and then the two men and their families met privately in a small room before the ceremony began.

'I wanted to meet him again,' Briggs told Yahoo, acknowledging that it was 'very unusual' for him to have contact with any of the men and women whose lives he's saved over the years.

'I just said, "It's great to see you." He said, "My Mom is your No. 1 fan." It was really neat.'
Berthia said the bond the pair forged during those 60 significant minutes will see them being friends for life.

'Now that I have his number, I don't see us never not being friends,' he told Yahoo. 'We are of such a different age but it never feels like that. I've shared things with Officer Briggs in those 60 minutes that no one else in the world knows. It's a special bond there.'

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 09:19   Link #162
willx
Nyaaan~~

Poignant considering I think there was a jumper on the subway today. Massive delays through large swathes of the network .. and they said "power outage due to injury at track level"
Old 2013-05-23, 11:16   Link #163
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Dashcams record positive things too.

Endless "Helpful" Soul
Old 2013-05-24, 23:22   Link #164
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I guess this fits here
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-05-26, 21:41   Link #165
Traece
:cool:

Just got back from half a week in Seattle.

Here's dis cute otter.

YouTube
Old 2013-05-28, 13:34   Link #166
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Expectant mother dies, gives birth, lives again

Quote:
It's the stuff Lifetime movies are made of: Expectant mother Erica Nigrelli died, then gave birth — and lived to tell about it.

Nigrelli, 32, an English teacher in Missouri City, Texas, collapsed in a coworker's classroom when she was 36 weeks pregnant.

"Apparently I told her I feel very faint and I put my head down and I essentially just passed out," Nigrelli tells ABC News.

Her heart had stopped.

Coworkers started CPR and used a defibrillator on Nigrelli, keeping her alive until paramedics arrived.

"My wife is pregnant," Nigrelli's husband, Nathan, also a teacher at the school, said in his panicked 911 call. "She's having a seizure! The baby's due in three weeks!"

Doctors delivered baby Elayna by emergency caesarean section. Nigrelli's heart wasn't beating at the time, so the operation was considered a post mortem delivery.

Immediately after Elayna was born, doctors tried to revive Nigrelli again. Remarkably, her heart started beating. She was placed in a medically induced coma for the next five days.

"The doctors told me that Erica delivered post-mortem because she did not have a heartbeat when they took the baby out," Nathan tells the Fort Bend Star.

Also see: 'Miracle twins' born 87 days apart

"But I married a fighter and now I had a baby girl who was a fighter too."

Nigrelli was diagnosed with a previously undetected heart condition known as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a condition in which the heart muscles thicken.

"Thankful is...not a strong enough word for what they've done for us," she says of her coworkers who were honoured this week at a city council meeting.

Now three months old, little Elayna is doing well, weighing more than eight pounds. While she still required oxygen and will have to undergo therapy, doctors are confident the baby will make a full recovery, CBS News reports.

"We feel great," Nathan tells CNN. "We have a wonderful baby. My wife is back to 100 per cent."
*cues in music*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-31, 02:05   Link #167
Fran
★The Eternal Lotus★
*Graphic Designer

Green Legend Ran
"this video made me cry more than awww...but Ran + Aira was more awww since both were lovely/cute couple.
haven't seen the movie in a very long time. still gives me the chill." <3
YouTube
Old 2013-06-12, 10:13   Link #168
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Here's my contribution after a long while.

An owww and an awww.
Old 2013-06-28, 09:46   Link #169
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

YouTube
Old 2013-07-01, 01:39   Link #170
Fran
★The Eternal Lotus★
*Graphic Designer

awwww....my favorite couples: Masakado (Aoto) & Ria (Tyria)
Tyria Binary Field (happy path) 1
Spoiler:

Tyria Binary Field (happy path) 2
Spoiler:

Confession ~Tyria: "I like you so much."
Spoiler:
Old 2013-07-04, 06:47   Link #171
Qikz

Not my cat but it keeps hanging around in our garden. I realise this grass is obscenely long, but it's the last part of the garden I haven't managed to strim down yet.

Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 07:39   Link #172
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
YouTube
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh my heart can't take it!
Old 2013-07-04, 12:06   Link #173
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
<snip>

Old 2013-07-06, 14:18   Link #174
Miraluka
Banned

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 20:57   Link #175
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
I'll see your Anime and raise you RL Awww

Old 2013-07-11, 21:46   Link #176
Chaos2Frozen
"What is it you desire?"

Classic

"The blood makes us human... Makes us more than human... Makes us human no more..."
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 06:49   Link #177
TheEroKing
is Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Old 2013-07-19, 05:53   Link #178
TheEroKing
is Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
Old 2013-07-19, 20:06   Link #179
Kirito
Tease to Please!♥

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Just goes to show how someone so little can do really big things! Best scene from this really great movie, and a classic one at that.
YouTube
Old 2013-07-26, 12:12   Link #180
Kreceir
♥~Likes to post Fan art~♥

Tags
cute