AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-29, 16:04   Link #2041
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupkeika View Post
Hello,
My name is Keika and I'm new to the AnimeSuki forums.
I'm so glad there is a thread about KyoAni! I am the Kyoto Animation intern from 2002.
If you have any questions about my experience with KyoAni, please feel free to reply to this post or send me a private message.
Thank you!
cupkeika
Great to have you around these parts. We would love to hear more from your experience there.
__________________

Dextro is offline  
Old 2013-06-29, 19:33   Link #2042
Dagger
Nitro+ fan
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hyogo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
I wonder, was there much overtime work when you were an intern?
This is what I'm most curious about. What were the hours alike? Did people tend to arrive/leave in waves, or all at once? Were there any rituals like a morning greeting with all the staff? (Wondering how an animation studio is similar to / different from your average Japanese company office.)
__________________
Dagger is offline  
Old 2013-06-30, 23:39   Link #2043
cupkeika
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
I wonder, was there much overtime work when you were an intern?
I worked 5 days a week, 10 hours a day as an intern. They never asked me to do overtime as my objective for the internship was to complete a short anime film. If I had to work more hours it was only because I had to in order to finish my film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
Hello! Nice to meet you. Thanks for coming here!
I guess you learnt animation process and such things but did you learn things specific to KyoAni ?
And are you still in contact with KyoAni folks ?
I learned about KyoAni's culture and philosophies surrounding their work.
Yes, I am still in contact with KyoAni. In fact I visited them a year ago with my husband. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
This is what I'm most curious about. What were the hours alike? Did people tend to arrive/leave in waves, or all at once? Were there any rituals like a morning greeting with all the staff? (Wondering how an animation studio is similar to / different from your average Japanese company office.)
What great questions!
Everyone tended to be in by 9am and when I would leave the office at 8pm-9pm most of the studio was still working away.

My favorite meetings I was invited to were when the studio finished an episode of "Inu Yasha" everyone would gather in a room and watch the final product together on a projector. The director and leads would say their comments and everyone would enjoy the accomplishments. It felt like a family.
__________________

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-01 at 01:36. Reason: please edit to add to existing posts rather than posting multiple times in a row
cupkeika is offline  
Old 2013-07-01, 05:54   Link #2044
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: \(_o)/
Whoa direct interaction with a KyoAni insider. Truly an honour Hope you enjoy our little corner of the internet here. Warm greetings and welcome to Animesuki!

- From your visit a year ago, how much has changed since your time there as an intern?

- Could you elaborate more on the KyoAni philosophy if possible?

- Which KyoAni work would you consider to be your favourite?

Much appreciation for both sharing your KyoAni experiences with us and taking time to answer our questions too. Many, many thanks!
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline  
Old 2013-07-01, 20:01   Link #2045
kyouray
2D > 3D
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupkeika View Post
I learned about KyoAni's culture and philosophies surrounding their work.
Yes, I am still in contact with KyoAni. In fact I visited them a year ago with my husband. ^_^
Thanks for the answer. I see you have an active blog so I guess I will have more details
That's great you're still in contact. Did you see again Tomoe Aratani since she's still in Kyoto (Nintendo) ? I'm looking forward to reading your post about her.
__________________
kyouray is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 08:04   Link #2046
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
So with KyoAni's now into uncharted territories with Free and on the verge of it becoming another hit for them, there a couple thoughts that came up in my head.

Will KyoAni's other staff take notice on Free so they could apply:

1.) The girl character design for Gou into any future works involving a mostly female cast? Seriously, it's been awhile (probably since Hyouka with Irisu though Shinka and Touka from Chuu2 are close) since I've been enamored over a female character, and I'm jealous she's there in show that's clearly aimed for girls.

2.) The campy fanservice shots on the guys and use it on the girls in a future work that's most appropriate. Obviously the girls' agency has to be maintained or else it'll look creepy and be like those other trashy ecchi shows aimed for men.

And out of curiosity, considering as of late KyoAni are branching out their LN label, does anyone know if any of their "honorary mentioned" titles has premises that has "legit fanservice" opportunities on girls like sport stories about a girls' gymnastics team, high diving, Latin dancing, or cheerleading?
__________________

darkchibi07 is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 11:24   Link #2047
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Santa Barbara
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
So with KyoAni's now into uncharted territories with Free and on the verge of it becoming another hit for them, there a couple thoughts that came up in my head.
Free is just the female equivalent of K-ON! This is not uncharted territory. It's the same old, same old just applied to a different audience. I don't think there's a lot to take away here.
Reckoner is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 14:41   Link #2048
Random32
Also a Lolicon
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
The level of fanservice in Free is beyond typical KyoAni imho.

K-On was a lot more pure than Free. Maybe I notice fanservice on guys more because I'm not used to it, but general consensus seems to be that Free has fanservice and K-On just has adorable.
Random32 is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 15:12   Link #2049
Warm Mist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
The first season of K-On! had some fanservice here and there. Free has more, but it's not overwhelming in either of these shows.

I agree it's not uncharted territory. The method of execution is extremely similar to K-On!
The most interesting part in Free! is the treatment of water, especially since Utsumi stated that they have a dedicated team just for that. Of course, for people who don't care about these things it's little more than a gimmick, but I'd say it's healthy for the animators to hone their skills at doing water and FX. You can see there's a lot of ground to improve- look at Rei falling to the pool in episode 3 and the splash, it's pretty rough.

Kyoukai no Kanata might be closer to "unexplored territory" depending on how heavy it gets with the action and gore. From the outside it just seems like a generic action LN, but it's not the type of thing the studio has been doing, the last of this kind was FMP: TSR, 8 years ago. I'm certainly looking forward to that much more than the movie and S2 of Chuu2, especially if they're really going to let Ishidate direct and Chise Kamoi be chief sakkan.
Warm Mist is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 16:02   Link #2050
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Free is just the female equivalent of K-ON! This is not uncharted territory. It's the same old, same old just applied to a different audience. I don't think there's a lot to take away here.
Free seemed far more focused on building its premise of swimming directly while K-ON! was rather wishy-washy on the music aspect. Granted KyoAni was bounded by the manga source, but their original episodes did contain a substantial amount music. You could say they used the same formula in K-ON! and REALLY polished its pacing in Free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
The level of fanservice in Free is beyond typical KyoAni imho.

K-On was a lot more pure than Free. Maybe I notice fanservice on guys more because I'm not used to it, but general consensus seems to be that Free has fanservice and K-On just has adorable.
This is why I hope some of the other KyoAni staff take notice of how they applied the fanservice of the guys in Free and use it on female main characters in some undisclosed title. I'm getting a feeling that Free will be starting to become a pioneer on the playful manly physique fanservice, and it'll great for KyoAni does the same in reinvigorating the womanly features of a female while still being playful and not creepy.
__________________

darkchibi07 is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 17:14   Link #2051
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Kyoukai no Kanata might be closer to "unexplored territory" depending on how heavy it gets with the action and gore. From the outside it just seems like a generic action LN, but it's not the type of thing the studio has been doing, the last of this kind was FMP: TSR, 8 years ago. I'm certainly looking forward to that much more than the movie and S2 of Chuu2, especially if they're really going to let Ishidate direct and Chise Kamoi be chief sakkan.
Want to bet that Kyoukai no Kanata is going to be awesome and pull in the lowest sales since Tamako Market? Yes, I'm have that much lack of faith in the japanese fandom right now
__________________

Dextro is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 17:48   Link #2052
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
I'm getting a feeling that Free will be starting to become a pioneer on the playful manly physique fanservice, and it'll great for KyoAni does the same in reinvigorating the womanly features of a female while still being playful and not creepy.
I'm pretty sure that when straight women are presented with that glorious display of pumped meat, the reaction creators expect out of them is primarily sexual. Sure, us guys can watch it for the camp, but that's not why they dumped so much money into making the characters look great. Comparing Free! to K-ON! in terms of fanservice feels so wrong to me. I can acknowledge that some scenes from K-ON!'s first season were created specifically to appease the moe-buhi fan crowds. Their intent to please the target audiences is thus the same, but K-ON! simply wasn't made to be sexual. What you're suggesting they should do with female characters is interesting, because that approach is just really rare. I remember Mikura from Mezzo Forte done this way. It was an adult OVA title, but still a piece where you could ignore the sex scenes and recommend it to other anime fans without hesitation. Her character was sexually charged, but tasteful in execution. To see that in modern anime without the characters going through some process of deformation is just extremely rare.

Free's characters need more bulge to really compete with Mikura though. Just my heterosexual 5 cents.
__________________
cyth is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 22:02   Link #2053
darkchibi07
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
What you're suggesting they should do with female characters is interesting, because that approach is just really rare. I remember Mikura from Mezzo Forte done this way. It was an adult OVA title, but still a piece where you could ignore the sex scenes and recommend it to other anime fans without hesitation. Her character was sexually charged, but tasteful in execution. To see that in modern anime without the characters going through some process of deformation is just extremely rare.
Yeah, and that what aggravates me if you consider most of the male-oriented female fanservice nowadays tends to be wish-fulfillment power fantasies where you don't get that in the female-oriented male fanservice found in Free. It makes me wish KyoAni would announce their next project which stars sexy female characters with agency. And then they could show off to those other anime companies that utilize male-oriented fanservice and say, "See? This is how you do female fanservice, and we learned that from Free!" after raking in high sales and popularity.

So yeah, KyoAni. What ever you next project will be, please have it star female characters with a premise that's allows them to be sexy and maintain credibility.
__________________

darkchibi07 is offline  
Old 2013-07-26, 22:35   Link #2054
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I always found it that Kyoani animes have great male characters like Sousuke, Kyon and Oreki if you ignore their comic relief side characters (*cough Sunohara*), but have very one dimensional, archtype-centric female characters designed to appeal to certain crowds. Although it's not solely a Kyoani problem since it's pretty much everywhere particularly in this light novel adaption plague we are in at the moment, it is very annoying.

But at least Kyoani has the male characters right most of the time, unlike the innumerable number of spineless, oblivious harem male leads we have as of late.
__________________

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-07-27 at 00:35.
Pocari_Sweat is online now  
Old 2013-07-26, 23:58   Link #2055
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
With regards to "sexy female characters that had agency". They already kinda did that with TSR... an anime ahead of its time. Although to be fair, it is an adaptation, so it might be more due to its source material than boardroom decision making.

Just wish it didn't bombed...

Natch.
__________________
Skane is offline  
Old 2013-07-27, 15:54   Link #2056
Haak
Haters Gonna Hate
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I always found it that Kyoani animes have great male characters like Sousuke, Kyon and Oreki if you ignore their comic relief side characters (*cough Sunohara*), but have very one dimensional, archtype-centric female characters designed to appeal to certain crowds. Although it's not solely a Kyoani problem since it's pretty much everywhere particularly in this light novel adaption plague we are in at the moment, it is very annoying.

But at least Kyoani has the male characters right most of the time, unlike the innumerable number of spineless, oblivious harem male leads we have as of late.
Well KyoAni does generally avoid spineless male leads but the characters in Free! are an entirely different problem altogether...
__________________
Haak is offline  
Old 2013-07-27, 16:16   Link #2057
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
but have very one dimensional, archtype-centric female characters designed to appeal to certain crowds.
If you're still saying this about Mayaka or even about Chitanda, you didn't pay much attention to Hyouka.
There's nothing wrong with "appealing to otaku" other than the fact that it clearly bothers you, an otaku, ever so much, it would seem.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2013-07-27, 17:12   Link #2058
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
There's nothing wrong with "appealing to otaku" other than the fact that it clearly bothers you, an otaku, ever so much, it would seem.
There's plently that can go wrong when appealing to otaku. To succeed in this industry is to make your work interesting inside the limitations of the medium, which of course has its audience with certain expectations in mind. KyoAni doesn't skirt around the margins of these limitations, with each work it fails to exceed these limits or impress us with some innovative approach.

Tell me, Kaisos Erranon, what recent Kyoto Animation work would you say exceeded your expectations of what anime can accomplish?

A person I knew once said she is not an anime fan, even though she watched a lot of anime. She said this because she couldn't take the moe stuff, the harems, the ever repeating stories and themes in certain genres. But she certainly loved anime as a concept. I guess being an "otaku" has its limits too.
__________________
cyth is offline  
Old 2013-07-27, 17:59   Link #2059
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
KyoAni doesn't skirt around the margins of these limitations, with each work it fails to exceed these limits or impress us with some innovative approach.
Bullshit, anime isn't -just- about storytelling. It's a visual medium as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Tell me, Kaisos Erranon, what recent Kyoto Animation work would you say exceeded your expectations of what anime can accomplish?
To that end, both Nichijou and Hyouka are incredibly excellent series from a visual standpoint; Hyouka in particular is very good at representing the thought processes of its protagonist through high-quality surreal imagery, and the sheer amount of detail packed into the backgrounds during the school festival arc made it feel more genuine and alive than anything similar I've ever seen.
Nichijou on the other hand, while not creative in the same way due to being tied down to an already visual source, has some of the best animation I've ever seen in a TV series -- and no, before anyone gets confused, art and animation are not the same thing.
You may have felt that these series were "unsatisfactory" because... because why, exactly? Because you feel KyoAni is "wasting its time" with school-life settings and """"moe"""" characters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
A person I knew once said she is not an anime fan, even though she watched a lot of anime. She said this because she couldn't take the moe stuff, the harems, the ever repeating stories and themes in certain genres.
Tell her to watch other stuff...? There is other stuff, you know, unless you think that "moe" means "anime that has girls in it", like a lot of idiots seem to.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Old 2013-07-27, 18:18   Link #2060
Warm Mist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I don't see what major difference there is between catering to "otaku" and catering to any other audience, like say, making child shows. It generally boils down to otaku being a questionable audience in moral terms, but I don't see how that isn't a sweeping generalization, or how that necessarily has to bring down the quality of the works made by anyone. A good show stands on its own merits, regardless of the context in which it was produced.

@cyth, I also want to know your reasoning for thinking Hyouka, Nichijou and even K-On!! are unsatisfactory. I hope you have at least a compelling argument about the quality of these works.
Warm Mist is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
studios

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.