AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 35 33.02%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 23.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 27.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 12.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-01, 02:50   Link #101
Anime Online
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper_oats View Post
By the way, here's a fun fact. If you go by the anime, the rock that Eren lifts is about 4500 metric tons. For comparison, modern tanks are usually about 60-70 tons. Suppose you scale a human to the size of a 15 meter class, they would be about 40 tons. That means Eren can carry and move at least 100 times his body weight over long distances.

The boulder is round. Wouldn't it be easier and faster to push it and roll it along? I get it the anime wants to show how manly Eren is by making him to carry that boulder on his shoulder all the way.

When those few titans went close to Eren and some of the humans took on the dangerous task of luring the titans away, I was thinking, "Why doesn't Eren just put the boulder down so he can kick the stuffing out of the other titans? Is there something preventing him from carrying it up again?"

Episode 13 is a disappointment for me. After the build-up of Episode 11, I thought Episode 12 would be an exciting finale to the arc. When Episode 12 turned out to be full of fillers, I told myself, "It's okay, they are saving the best for last". All I got is Eren suddenly lugging that big rock - there wasn't even any scene of Eren shaking off his stupor and straining those muscles to lift that rock up - and the humans being generally ineffectual (as usual).
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 02:59   Link #102
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper_oats View Post
My biggest complaint thus far from the series, the numerous cuts and edits they made to the original material. And it looks like they decided to remove one of my favorite parts this episode. Maybe they'll still put it in after the flashback episode but considering the timing was perfect right then and there, it'll probably never happen.
I'm curious, what's the part you're talking about? Because last I re-read (this morning), the parts cut out were the flashbacks that were shown already in the anime. And the anime so far has been very faithful to the manga, except that it sorts things in the easier-to-follow chronological format instead.

Quote:
By the way, here's a fun fact. If you go by the anime, the rock that Eren lifts is about 4500 metric tons. For comparison, modern tanks are usually about 60-70 tons. Suppose you scale a human to the size of a 15 meter class, they would be about 40 tons. That means Eren can carry and move at least 100 times his body weight over long distances.
I'm not quite sure this is true, but what do I know? Isayama hasn't even disclosed that yet...

But what we DO know:
Spoiler for one panel in the near future:


So no solid information, but I can tell you your fun fact is a biiiiiiiit off.
__________________

Last edited by LuxorMG; 2013-07-01 at 04:18.
LuxorMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 03:21   Link #103
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
I'm curious, what's the part you're talking about? Because last I re-read (this morning), the parts cut out were the flashbacks that were shown already in the anime. And the anime so far has been very faithful to the manga, except that it sorts things in the easier-to-follow chronological format instead.
Mutilated corpse of Miina isn't really my cup of tea, but hey, I won't judge other people's fetish!
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 03:37   Link #104
Jerseykid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Eren would have been way cool at the end there if he said something like "Let me out of this cell or I'll transform right now and crush all of you.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 03:48   Link #105
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
The complains about this episode are perfectly valid
I think it's quite disproportionate though.
It's like 90% good, and 10% bad, but the discussion is 90% about the bad parts.

People are completely overlooking the rest of the episode which was done fantastic, and only focusing on small bits of failure.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 03:51   Link #106
hyper_oats
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
The boulder is round. Wouldn't it be easier and faster to push it and roll it along? I get it the anime wants to show how manly Eren is by making him to carry that boulder on his shoulder all the way.
The easiest explanation is that some of the streets may have been too narrow to roll the rock through. That and yeah, Atlas reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Online View Post
When those few titans went close to Eren and some of the humans took on the dangerous task of luring the titans away, I was thinking, "Why doesn't Eren just put the boulder down so he can kick the stuffing out of the other titans? Is there something preventing him from carrying it up again?"
Couple of things off the top of my head. More and more titans were getting attracted to Eren, if he tried fighting them off, it might have been an endless battle. Lifting it again may have been beyond his ability, he was definitely strained. And if he dropped it and tried rolling the boulder, it may have gotten stuck on some titans. Plus, it probably wouldn't have sealed the breach as well if he didn't slam it in from that height.
hyper_oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 03:57   Link #107
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
I think it's great that we have for once (or for once in a long time) an anime that doesn't shy away from making the effort to show how brutal war can be. It really isn't much success or heroism; simply a lot of dudes getting killed in gruesome ways. Many military operations do involve deliberately sacrificing a shitton of men.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 04:04   Link #108
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Mutilated corpse of Miina isn't really my cup of tea, but hey, I won't judge other people's fetish!
....My GOOOOOD I did not notice that.
__________________
LuxorMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 06:52   Link #109
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Oh please spare me. You have a very weird definition of "far"
Since we don't have factual data about the length of the grappling hooks we can only rely on estimates.
You estimate them to be long enough to reach those buildings but I guess that so far you are in a minority because I do not either.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 10:48   Link #110
yankky5
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Between a dragon(China) and a kangaroo(Australia)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Since we don't have factual data about the length of the grappling hooks we can only rely on estimates.
You estimate them to be long enough to reach those buildings but I guess that so far you are in a minority because I do not either.
Yeah janpoo is right we dont know the effective range of 3dmg. Using only assumptions really isnt a very good way to win us over and besides how long was that operation actually taking just fighting for a 10 min would already deplete ones supply of gas even if they are the best they have limits
__________________
http://www.wallpaperhere.com/thumbnails/detail/20111109/4eba21545dc9a.jpg
yankky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 11:25   Link #111
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
The composition for this episode was quite outstanding, as it definitely gives justice to this part of the story, that is the battle of trost.

But as mentioned already, this episode unfortunately suffered a -lot- of its budget constrain, to the point it is ironically the episode with the best animated sequence, but also the worst in term of animation recycling stunts.

In order:
TL;DR…
breakthrough of ep13 specific budget saving portions
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
If you factor also the other "usual" still frames we had with this episode, it sure 5-6 min of recycling stuff.

The execution of the episode managed to dampen the technical issues, but considering the actual content of the episode and the few animation burst (Jean's escape, Mikasa's strike, Eren's arrival, Miko's strike), it became a tad too obvious to the point it was sort of disrupting.

I can't help but worry quite a bit, as I don't think a recap episode will help the animators to catch up the series pace (which was slowed down big time already), and considering the budget allocation thus far is a bit in shambles, the second half might suffer more in the long run.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 18:50   Link #112
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The composition for this episode was quite outstanding, as it definitely gives justice to this part of the story, that is the battle of trost.

But as mentioned already, this episode unfortunately suffered a -lot- of its budget constrain, to the point it is ironically the episode with the best animated sequence, but also the worst in term of animation recycling stunts.

In order:
TL;DR…
breakthrough of ep13 specific budget saving portions
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
If you factor also the other "usual" still frames we had with this episode, it sure 5-6 min of recycling stuff.

The execution of the episode managed to dampen the technical issues, but considering the actual content of the episode and the few animation burst (Jean's escape, Mikasa's strike, Eren's arrival, Miko's strike), it became a tad too obvious to the point it was sort of disrupting.

I can't help but worry quite a bit, as I don't think a recap episode will help the animators to catch up the series pace (which was slowed down big time already), and considering the budget allocation thus far is a bit in shambles, the second half might suffer more in the long run.
Budget allocation isn't in shambles. They just don't have enough personnel to animate all the stuff. But simply speaking, shouldn't they have finished animating the ENTIRE series before it started airing? I can't believe they are still recruiting animators as we speak.
__________________
Moe Connection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 19:12   Link #113
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
When I'm talking about budget, by extention, I include manpower shortage (to begin with, with a sizeable budget, you would have enough animators right from the get go).
And I rarely heard of an anime series being complete before its broadcast time.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 19:19   Link #114
Iron Maw
The Black Wing
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The composition for this episode was quite outstanding, as it definitely gives justice to this part of the story, that is the battle of trost.

But as mentioned already, this episode unfortunately suffered a -lot- of its budget constrain, to the point it is ironically the episode with the best animated sequence, but also the worst in term of animation recycling stunts.

In order:
TL;DR…
breakthrough of ep13 specific budget saving portions
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
If you factor also the other "usual" still frames we had with this episode, it sure 5-6 min of recycling stuff.

The execution of the episode managed to dampen the technical issues, but considering the actual content of the episode and the few animation burst (Jean's escape, Mikasa's strike, Eren's arrival, Miko's strike), it became a tad too obvious to the point it was sort of disrupting.
Yeah, I too pointed out this was a pretty well animated episode despite it's glaring technical flaws which is very weird. Episode 5 was the last one on this level and since then it's been average or above average with short bursts of really fluid scenes and some mostly well paced stills. Like I stated before, I doubt it's a budget problem since that seemed high for this week, but rather lack of time considering the incomplete nature of one or two scenes (the bit with Annie being the most noticeable one) and some framerate issue in the other.

Quote:
I can't help but worry quite a bit, as I don't think a recap episode will help the animators to catch up the series pace (which was slowed down big time already), and considering the budget allocation thus far is a bit in shambles, the second half might suffer more in the long run.
To WIT's credit, they're doing a lot better than lesser a studio would in this situation thanks to some smart managing and a big workforce, but the strain is starting to show more now. Best we can hope is that the break allows the animators some room to breathe and finish up the rest of without too much in the way of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
Budget allocation isn't in shambles. They just don't have enough personnel to animate all the stuff. But simply speaking, shouldn't they have finished animating the ENTIRE series before it started airing? I can't believe they are still recruiting animators as we speak.
No not necessary, it really depends on the studio and committee. However some episodes are always definitely done in advance.
Iron Maw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 19:41   Link #115
tenchir
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
If a 15m tall titan like Eren can just lift the boulder that size to block the entrance. What's stopping other 15m titans from just pushing it away?
tenchir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 19:45   Link #116
Haigon
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Recife
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchir View Post
If a 15m tall titan like Eren can just lift the boulder that size to block the entrance. What's stopping other 15m titans from just pushing it away?
Eren is way stronger than a regular 15 m Titan, look how he beat all those titans before.

The problem is... They don't think about the Armoured Titan showing up and blewing the rock?
Haigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 19:47   Link #117
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Eren isn't just a mere 15m class titan: he has distinctly much more power than these (hence why Erwin compared him to the Colossus and Armored Titan).
Granted, while Eren's titan form isn't as characteristic as the latter 2, he outclass by far regular titans.
So it is very unlikely a normal titan would be able to push it.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 19:49   Link #118
green-link94
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: mid-childa
It was mentioned a few episodes ago that Eren was stronger than the average 15 meter class.
__________________
[url]http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic165338_1.gif[/url
green-link94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 19:56   Link #119
tenchir
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by green-link94 View Post
It was mentioned a few episodes ago that Eren was stronger than the average 15 meter class.
I assumed he is so powerful is because he knows hand to hand combat compared to dumb titans. He does things that normal titan doesn't do such as biting down on a titan and using it as a weapon.
tenchir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 20:01   Link #120
Iron Maw
The Black Wing
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haigon View Post
The problem is... They don't think about the Armoured Titan showing up and blewing the rock?
It's not that they don't, but the fact of the matter is that they can't prepare or do much about him at the moment. The Garrison can only deal with the immediate problem especially since there is no longer a luxury of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchir View Post
I assumed he is so powerful is because he knows hand to hand combat compared to dumb titans. He does things that normal titan doesn't do such as biting down on a titan and using it as a weapon.
And blowing their heads off with his fists.
Iron Maw is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.