AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-03, 21:46   Link #441
zztop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
I'm a bit confused about the first naming of the male characters and the female character, Gou.

Some forums have stated the guy's first names are 'feminine/gender-neutral' and the girl has a 'masculine' first name. Could anyone enlighten me on how this is the case?

Anyone who has intimate knowledge of how Japanese naming conventions work, the kanji meaning, and how the kanji give a masculine/feminine meaning to the names are much appreciated.
Here are the kanji for the names.

1) Haruka: 遥

2) Makoto: 真琴

3) Rin: 凛

4) Nagisa: 渚

5) Rei: 怜

6) Gou: 江

Thank you.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 21:47   Link #442
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I dunno, yanking a fully clothed guy into a pool and chasing each other around seems like a thing teenage boys do.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 21:50   Link #443
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
Well not to bad of an opening so Haruka so Gray instincts come into play when he is near water
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 21:51   Link #444
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
Thoughts

Was it worth the hype? Not really....it was okay. I liked most of the characters, though to be honest, I actually found myself liking Gou the most. Out of the guys....I guess I like Tachibana. Nagisa is annoying as fuck and Shark Boy is a douchebag.

Haruka is so, so, so pretty though......he'd marry a pool if it was legal.

Was it worth the fanboy RAEG? HELL YES. Apron over a swimsuit. And Haruka's willingness to strip whenever. 'Nuff said.
__________________
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 22:08   Link #445
Dr. Casey
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tennessee
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
There's a weird disconnect with these characters , at least for me. Imagine if the cast of Kimi to Boku were athletes instead of... whatever they were.
Aside from Shun and Chizuru: recently reanimated zombies that haven't fully become used to being alive again.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 22:15   Link #446
ZriviziMochi
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Asia
Well, better than I thought tbh
Really like the opening, it sounds cool and that top class animation
The ending is hilarious... in a good way
I don't know why people call this Gay ... Well not as gay as I expected
But certainly moe is there
And I predicted people will focus on the fanservices, fujoshit, moe, bla bla bla aspects on the show instead of everything else d:
ZriviziMochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 22:16   Link #447
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
I liked the OP song.

I just couldn't with the ED song though That was just too goofy.
__________________
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 22:18   Link #448
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
I'm a bit confused about the first naming of the male characters and the female character, Gou.

Some forums have stated the guy's first names are 'feminine/gender-neutral' and the girl has a 'masculine' first name. Could anyone enlighten me on how this is the case?

Anyone who has intimate knowledge of how Japanese naming conventions work, the kanji meaning, and how the kanji give a masculine/feminine meaning to the names are much appreciated.
Here are the kanji for the names.

1) Haruka: 遥

2) Makoto: 真琴

3) Rin: 凛

4) Nagisa: 渚

5) Rei: 怜

6) Gou: 江

Thank you.
Not sure about the kanji, but sound wise those first 5 are all definitely girls names, with the possible exception of Makoto.

I'm guessing Makoto is gender neutral? There are some males I can think of, but also females. This is probably the most famous female Makoto in anime.

Haruka is a common female name. I can think of a Haruka in Love Hina, Minami-ke, oh... and Sailor Moon again.

Rei... well do I have to mention Neon Genesis Evangelion? Not to mention Sailor Moon again.

Nagasi is the female lead in Clannad.

Rin has major female characters in Inuyasha, Vocaloid, Bunny Drop, and Little Busters just to name the few I can think of off hand.

So just based on anime character names, I'd say those are all pretty feminine names (again with the possible exception of Makoto, after all Sailor Jupiter was tomboyish wasn't she?)

As for Gou being a male name, I'm not so sure about that. I can't recall ever hearing it used as a male name, and Google shows pictures of this Gou from Free. (That and a disturbing number of rape manga, I shudder to think what would have shown up without safe search if that's what I got with it.)

Of course, Gou told us that the common reading is Kou, which is a female name. So I don't know. Just food for thought.

I admit I was intrigued by the Sailor Moon theme when looking at this. Too bad it didn't hold through for all of them. I wonder if the names have any other significance? Could they be heroines from anime that KyoAni animated? They did do Clannad.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 22:35   Link #449
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
The cynic in me thinks it's because he got left in the dust by other swimmers in Australia and that's why he returned to Japan... BITTER.
Hah! In all seriousness, Japan's actually been pretty good in the last decade or so in swimming at the international stage that are starting to be as good as Aussies, US, and Russia. I'm more surprised they don't do more anime on swimming like they do for Baseball and Basketball. Not that I'm expecting much on the sports side of thing with KyoAni in the helm, but still... swimming is one of the more intense individual sports out there.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 22:39   Link #450
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Knowing KyoAni they'll probably have at least one episode that's delves into the actual sport. The rest of the episodes will be focused on characters and relationships with the sport as background noise.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 22:51   Link #451
Puu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Hah! In all seriousness, Japan's actually been pretty good in the last decade or so in swimming at the international stage that are starting to be as good as Aussies, US, and Russia. I'm more surprised they don't do more anime on swimming like they do for Baseball and Basketball. Not that I'm expecting much on the sports side of thing with KyoAni in the helm, but still... swimming is one of the more intense individual sports out there.
I guess swimming isn't as big in Japan as those two? Which makes me wonder now: They've made swimming. Up next: Figure Skating Anime. With glitter and leotards, frilly shirts, and more sparkles!

Maybe Rin did fail (or at least, can't seem to be at the tops) in Australia though and was haunted by the fact that Haru was better all these years. So, he decided to run back to Japan to beat the guy he couldn't beat there so he can tell himself he's improved and go back to competing in Australia...

.... is he a dual citizen? Japan doesn't have dual citizenship though... I seem to remember them having to pick a country once they hit 18 or 21.
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 22:53   Link #452
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Thoughts
I actually found myself liking Gou the most

.
Spinoff series with Gou as the main protagonist anyone?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 23:59   Link #453
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
Up next: Figure Skating Anime. With glitter and leotards, frilly shirts, and more sparkles!
*coughs* Ginban Kaleidoscope *coughs*
__________________
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 00:11   Link #454
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
You know this isn't as bad as people have been making it out to be.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 00:38   Link #455
MeggieMay
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Ok, what we need next is a version set to Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar on Me! That's what really popped in my mind when I saw Rin pouring water all over himself
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 00:41   Link #456
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puu View Post
Up next: Figure Skating Anime. With glitter and leotards, frilly shirts, and more sparkles!
Not gonna lie, I'd watch it. I watch the HELL outta that. XDDD
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 00:57   Link #457
erhyka
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I mainly watched it for the eye candy ... them glorious toned and muscle-y athletic bods yum yum yum. The tight spandex swimsuit under the apron ... DIVINE. The random strippings ... DIVINE.

Now story wise, the first episode was boring, a real 'meh and their personalities stereotypical. It just started, but I'll continue watching it, though I hope it improves since good looking characters, at least for me, will dull out if the story isn't interesting, but I hope that doesn't happen since well ... you gotta make full use of that crunchyroll membership lol.

Does anyone know if this is about friendship between the 4 guys or is there actually some yaoi romance lol since I got the impression through some scenes that it might head for the latter?

Last edited by erhyka; 2013-07-04 at 00:59. Reason: question!
erhyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 00:59   Link #458
Puu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
*coughs* Ginban Kaleidoscope *coughs*
Quickly googled :3 But think of the fun it would be if it starred guys! One of them is absolutely manly and is a great figure skater. Except. He has to get over his issues in order to finally go on competitive skating- you know, where people can actually see! Helping him is his cute figure-skating buddy who helps him see how really manly pink and sequins can be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Not gonna lie, I'd watch it. I watch the HELL outta that. XDDD
Me too. Me too.
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 01:11   Link #459
U<3Anime
Boo!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhyka View Post
I mainly watched it for the eye candy ... them glorious toned and muscle-y athletic bods yum yum yum. The tight spandex swimsuit under the apron ... DIVINE. The random strippings ... DIVINE.

Now story wise, the first episode was boring, a real 'meh and their personalities stereotypical. It just started, but I'll continue watching it, though I hope it improves since good looking characters, at least for me, will dull out if the story isn't interesting, but I hope that doesn't happen since well ... you gotta make full use of that crunchyroll membership lol.

Does anyone know if this is about friendship between the 4 guys or is there actually some yaoi romance lol since I got the impression through some scenes that it might head for the latter?
Not into checking out toned athletic men nor am I into watching men acting cute. Think I now know what it feels like for girls to watch fanservice that crater towards boys .



Kyo Ani, please more fanservice for Rin's sister and the teacher also.
__________________
omg Ku-chan!
U<3Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 01:15   Link #460
Tranhieu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Why are there no nipples at all? Do I need to check out the 1080p?
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.