AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-01-19, 21:26   Link #101
blackwhite67
Banned

I wonder how Ii will have developed as a character by the last volume?
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 02:55   Link #102
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Aside from being caught up in Jun's task for him at the beginning, I don't really see how this third volume involved Ikkun being caught up in a flow.

In the beginning him and Hime were caught up/trapped in Shiogi's strategy, but throughout that section it was mostly Ikkun leading the way. Subsequently they were rescued by Jun, but that only lead to them discovering the murder and locking themselves up in the Dean's office.

From that point forward, it was Ikkun's will to throw himself out there and not live in dependence upon someone greater than him. That/those actions got to one of the legitimate core of Ii-kun's character. Despite knowing himself as broken (or perhaps rather, because he knows himself to be broken), Ii-kun refuses to allow himself to depend on any other person. Correspondingly, Ii-kun develops a contempt for any kind of person who tries to depend on him. The only exception to this is Kunagisa Tomo, who is both the victim and responsible for why Ii-kun is broken in the first place.
This is actually a really good point. Thank you, I understand his character more now.
Old 2013-01-20, 03:26   Link #103
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Aside from being caught up in Jun's task for him at the beginning, I don't really see how this third volume involved Ikkun being caught up in a flow.

In the beginning him and Hime were caught up/trapped in Shiogi's strategy, but throughout that section it was mostly Ikkun leading the way. Subsequently they were rescued by Jun, but that only lead to them discovering the murder and locking themselves up in the Dean's office.

From that point forward, it was Ikkun's will to throw himself out there and not live in dependence upon someone greater than him. That/those actions got to one of the legitimate core of Ii-kun's character. Despite knowing himself as broken (or perhaps rather, because he knows himself to be broken), Ii-kun refuses to allow himself to depend on any other person. Correspondingly, Ii-kun develops a contempt for any kind of person who tries to depend on him. The only exception to this is Kunagisa Tomo, who is both the victim and responsible for why Ii-kun is broken in the first place.
When mentioned him being caught up in a flow, I was talking about the events of the novel in general. The fact that his presence had nearly no effect on the incident except to make it worse presents him as kind of a puppet to the flow of the story.

Regardless, this is an interesting interpretation. I intentionally left out the bit about Ii-chan's complex towards Jun since I couldn't find a way to reconcile it with what we already know about his character, but it seems you've done so pretty well. What exactly makes this interpretation is interesting is that it suggests the existence of another layer to his already convoluted psyche.

On the outside, you have his surface facade, a cool passive observer who struggles to maintain an air of non-involvement in most matters. Beneath that is an empty husk devoid of any morals, values, dreams, or ideals, defined only by an arbitrary set of rules to govern his actions. But this perspective then suggests a third, deeper layer to his character that actively perpetuates the aforementioned layers. It's the side of him that is averse to any influences that may threaten the way of life he's decided to adopt. Using this framework, I'd guess that it was this side of him that triggered his deep involvement in the events of Volume 2.
Old 2013-07-06, 17:22   Link #104
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

So now that Book 4 is translated, what do people think? Yes, it seems to be a 2-parter with the incomplete book 5, but...

Seems to me to be more conversation and less action than usual. Also less focus on Ii-chan sucking (though there is still a TON of that) and more on why he's with Kunagisa. There seem to be a larger number of people who are good at pushing his buttons... or at least getting him to admit he has buttons.

I like the female Jigen who goes as their bodyguard, as well as
Spoiler:
. And Kunagisa's reaction to the ending of the book was both startling and creepy and amusing all at once.

Also loved the description of that test that Ii-chan took while in Houston.

Reading Zaregoto just reminds me how light and fluffy Medaka Box is by comparison.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-01, 23:00   Link #105
Kunagisa
赤緑黒白

Spoiler for Mephisto 2014 vol 1:

What in the world? Look who's back hahahhaha. A new (spin off?) series to boot!
Please let Tomo get a cameo (probably impossible given the timeline ... but still), should be pretty awesome even if not though.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-13, 17:22   Link #106
HammerOrNails
One day...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunagisa View Post
Spoiler for Mephisto 2014 vol 1:

What in the world? Look who's back hahahhaha. A new (spin off?) series to boot!
Please let Tomo get a cameo (probably impossible given the timeline ... but still), should be pretty awesome even if not though.

Hmm, didn't we see already quite a bit of that in Zerozaki Magashiki's Human Human?
HammerOrNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-15, 12:34   Link #107
Cruor

You think its going to be a sequel to the Failure of Aikawa Jun?
Cruor is offline   Reply With Quote