AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-01, 17:41   Link #181
mistress_kisara
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
As for my impressions for this anime, like most people I was really disappointed with the adaptation they made Arata so much of a pussy here and Kadowaki was so much more annoying here. Too bad were not going to see the other characters like Yataka (he's voiced by Mamoru Miyano godammit!!) So my score's 6/10 (Sadly, my lowest score for spring season)
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 20:04   Link #182
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I hoped it wouldn't come to this, but this really will go down as one of those "what a shame" series. I just don't get why they even bothered to adapt it if they were going to do this. You know it's a massive series. At least if you aren't going to just keep going and plan to cover the whole thing (I know the manga isn't done yet), then find a good stopping point and give yourself enough episodes to make it fit. Do it well and you can get further seasons and slowly cover the material.

Instead we get a mess of trying to cram a lot into 12 episodes. The end of the episode wasn't bad. Maybe I just liked the music . Flashing to opponents we're never actually going to see animated considering how badly this must have bombed. Just too bad we can't get many long running series anymore. They try to play it safe, but then just make something that won't get enough sales to warrant a sequel.

Well at least it gave me a good reason to re-read the manga at some point .
__________________
FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 22:33   Link #183
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Uggghhhh....

Honestly, what can I really say about this. We knew this ending was going to be rushed. We knew this was going to be anime original, but oh well, it was good, but like this anime...just wasted potential, and almost doomed from the start.

First off, the positive: While the fight was just okay, I thought that Hinohara finally making up his mind and doing that last attack, as well as Yorunami's submission was good. In fact, I'll give this episode this, Yorunami's submission and the reason he did so was actually better than what really happened in the manga. However, after that, that's all the points I can give you.

Now to the negative: Wow, did I roll my eyes a lot in this episode. Beyond the cliche lines, the boring dialogue, Kadowaki whining every other minute, Arata whining every other minute, Kotoha being an annoying weak female, this episode was still pretty lackluster. It was better than most other episodes of the series, but that's not saying much. They leave a lot of threads open, even though we know this series will not be getting a sequel. However, they changed quite a few things from the manga (Tsukuyo's powers, Yorunami's submission, the entire fabricated fight, missing characters, etc.) that many who want to find the answers will be baffled by the changes this series decided to make.

Also, I was willing to give this episode a pass and say it was pretty good in terms of most of the episodes of this series. But then--it went and showed the credit clips.

They decide to show us a lot of future plot points with the other Shinsho, the ones whose stories would have been awesome to see, but noooo...this series was only one cour and therefore shot itself in the foot before it even started. You show all these hooks for a sequel series, when both you and I know they will never get one!

Now, anyone who wants to know what all those scenes were about will have to read the manga. I guess they might as well just point the audience to the much better source material, since obviously they really couldn't do it justice.

Okay, I'm going to wrap this up by saying that this show did what it could, but it was really dead on arrival through no fault of its own. I however am thankful for it introducing me to Arata Kangatari and I will continue to read the manga until it ends. I suggest any who were intrigued by this anime to do the same and read the original source material. It's 10x better and you will probably get the answer to a lot of the questions you're asking.

This episode was a 7.45/10 and I give the series overall a 5/10.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 00:20   Link #184
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: At your house fixing A/C
It really doesn't feel like an ending at all. I am quite sure that they are waiting for a budget to do a sequel...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 00:53   Link #185
Kakkou
18歳腐った(?)少年
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
You'd think they'd muster up some budget to make the finale look sightly nicer at the very least but nope, everything still looked bad. That's just the production values too, the writing is plain goddamn awful. It also achieved the difficult task of having Nobuhiko Okamoto and Ryohei Kimura as leads along with a nice supporting cast and still make me unable to enjoy their performances.

So yeah, terrible, terrible show. It had signs of being able to at least be decent but that gradually vanished as the episodes progressed. The only actual good thing about it were the OP/EDs, especially the second ED, which is great. I love the song.

I rarely ever say this even towards shows I dislike but this one deserved to bomb like it did.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic101701_1.gif
Panel taken from here (NSFW-ish). Translation/type by some /a/non.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 09:07   Link #186
black_star
How should i say it?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Declassified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushio the Omega View Post
So volume 1 sales neither DVD or blurays ranked.

Blurays less than 211 copies and DVD less than 429 copies, ouch.

This is a late night anime right? cause if so it's dead.
Well, looking for the numbers, it won't make another Fractale, right? Damn, I'm itchin' to see the second season! If not, I'd just stick with reading the manga.

BTW, is the manga even popular in Japan? If not, the hope for the second season will be less than 50 percent.
__________________
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice! - Doquixote Doflamingo

MAL Twitter
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 09:25   Link #187
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_star View Post
BTW, is the manga even popular in Japan?
It's apparently Shounen Sunday, and as a big fan of Conan and Hayate I'd never heard of it, so... guessing probably not.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 10:28   Link #188
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
This was a very boring series, but I liked the setting. 5/10. I'm kind of interested in the manga, but I'm afraid it will just be a waste of time to pick that one up. Is it radically different from the anime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_star View Post
BTW, is the manga even popular in Japan? If not, the hope for the second season will be less than 50 percent.
Not popular at all. Sales are very low. I'm surprised this even got an adaptation. Maybe they hoped to boost the manga sales, but it apparently hasn't worked.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-02, 11:46   Link #189
Bern-san
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I noticed that there were a lot of Koreans in the staff. I know some studios rely from koreans to help with animation but I hadn't seen so many as the main ones in an anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
This was a very boring series, but I liked the setting. 5/10. I'm kind of interested in the manga, but I'm afraid it will just be a waste of time to pick that one up. Is it radically different from the anime?
Yes, the anime made a lot of changes. I'm not saying the source material is the best thing ever, because it's full of cliches but it's entertaining to read.
The first 6 volumes, which are the ones the anime covered, are considered the weakest ones but after Yorunami the next enemies are a bit more interesting although the anime skipped a lot of stuff. Also:
Spoiler for space:
__________________

Last edited by Bern-san; 2013-07-02 at 11:57.
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 00:43   Link #190
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 22
I can't explain what got me into this series. It's very, very generic. However, if you're looking for something with action that you can kind of turn your brain off to... It's not the worst thing ever. It's just... It's actually kind of entertaining despite its heavy stereotypes. Or maybe it's entertaining because of its stereotypes? I don't even know... Some of the designs are interesting to watch while animated, too.

However, I think I mainly stuck with it until the end because Kotoha is cute and the OP is my absolute most favorite song of the season. XD

Here's to hoping they adapt the rest of the manga. (And up the production value a little, too. I mean, really now...)
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 09:05   Link #191
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I can't say I disliked this series as some people here, in fact I enjoyed it more than I expected. I wasn't expecting much of anything so while this is not going to go on my best series list I wasn't disappointed. Things were rushed and I don't think the series did justice to its material, I did like the themes presented in the story and the growth of the main character. I also grew to like Kannagi a lot.

The two characters I was most disappointed in were Kadowaki who came off more as a caricature at times. And Kotoha. There is nothing wrong with Kotoha but her only purpose seems to be support the main character and I find this a bit disappointing. She lacks depth for being what came off as the secondary main character.

Oh well I'd give this series a solid 7. Not the best but I don't regret my time.

Don't think I enjoyed it enough to start a long running manga series though.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 10:13   Link #192
zztop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Re. events in the manga and the 6 evil Shinsho:

Spoiler for The 6 Shinsho in the manga:
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 21:56   Link #193
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
Well they pulled it together at the end but it wasnt enough to safe this Its right after they got out of the prison when this went to hell


5/10 this should of been at less 100+eps to make this great
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 10:09   Link #194
black_star
How should i say it?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Declassified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Not popular at all. Sales are very low. I'm surprised this even got an adaptation. Maybe they hoped to boost the manga sales, but it apparently hasn't worked.
Really? I've just checked ANN and the latest manga volume had got a decent amount of buys.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ng-march-17-23
Untfortunately though, after the anime broadcast, the older manga volumes doesn't make it through the oricon chart (unlike attack on titan, which has got quite lot of buys while the anime airs)
__________________
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice! - Doquixote Doflamingo

MAL Twitter
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 18:00   Link #195
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
26,268 is what I call low for manga (not terrible... but still low). It didn't rank the week after meaning it sold even less. I doubt the total sales reached 50k. Magi, from the same magazine, sells ten times that amount.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 04:03   Link #196
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Re. events in the manga and the 6 evil Shinsho:

Spoiler for The 6 Shinsho in the manga:
Well...

Spoiler for Manga and 6 Sho material:
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 19:20   Link #197
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
26,268 is what I call low for manga (not terrible... but still low). It didn't rank the week after meaning it sold even less. I doubt the total sales reached 50k. Magi, from the same magazine, sells ten times that amount.
Hayate, also from the same magazine, also sells about 10x that amount. And Detective Conan, the best selling from that magazine, sells about 650k-800k copies per volume.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 04:41   Link #198
black_star
How should i say it?
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Declassified
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Hayate, also from the same magazine, also sells about 10x that amount. And Detective Conan, the best selling from that magazine, sells about 650k-800k copies per volume.
Yeah. Well, it's still a surprise that Arata became an anime, considering the sales. 'Cause after watching quite a lot of Bakuman., the series that became an anime is the one that is getting quite a hype and good ratings at the magazine, right?
__________________
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice! - Doquixote Doflamingo

MAL Twitter
black_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arata, watase yuu

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.