AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-22, 15:17   Link #1
a_ndy

Downloads tied to uploads?

I'm running on an asymmetrical DSL connection, which means that my upload can't exceed around 10 kbps, and even so consumes just about all of my upload bandwidth.

I know that Bit Torrent download is somewhat tied to upload, but I'm not sure just how much. If my max upload speed is set around 7 kbps, how much does this affect my downloads speed? Can my download speeds exceed my upload speed for more than a couple minutes?

So far things don't look so promising, and I know from browsing around that in general the amount of upload for BT is much higher than the amount of download for BT. But does this always have to be the case?
a_ndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 16:13   Link #2
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
No. I did a few tests on an Asymmetric connection, and no matter how low my upload was, I was able to get Max speeds.

That doesnt mean you have to keep your upload tied at 3k/s, Try to test a little, chcek various options, and check the speeds, dont be stingy, remember that the others might need what you are downloading.
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 17:27   Link #3
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ndy
I know that Bit Torrent download is somewhat tied to upload, but I'm not sure just how much. If my max upload speed is set around 7 kbps, how much does this affect my downloads speed? Can my download speeds exceed my upload speed for more than a couple minutes?

So far things don't look so promising, and I know from browsing around that in general the amount of upload for BT is much higher than the amount of download for BT. But does this always have to be the case?
If you want to know exactly how upload is connected to download you should check the documentation. On the official site I found this brilliantly written BitTorrent Economics Paper. It will answer all of your questions clearly and concisely.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote