AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Danganronpa

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-16, 16:25   Link #21
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
So... hasn't it occurred to anyone that the fan translation might be part of the reason why it's being localized now?

Also, just because NISA is gonna localize the first game, how does that spell trouble for fan translations of the second?
They said they'll consider localizing the second if the first sells, and the translation team doesn't want to step on their toes because they want to seem legitimate, which is ridiculous in my option, but it's their time and effort.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 16:28   Link #22
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
I'd say that it would be quite annoying to work on a translation project for months, and then being irrelevant after an editor decides to localize it.
It is just a huge waste of time and a potential risk of having a C&D in the face.

If it wasn't for NISA announcement, it would be a complete different story.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:04   Link #23
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
I... suppose there's nothing I can say to that.

So basically it's NISA's fault for making a long wait even longer.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:08   Link #24
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
So basically it's NISA's fault for making a long wait even longer.
Yes.
But in all likelihood, like I said, they're going to sit on their license for years after the first bombs in sales, so...
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:12   Link #25
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Meaning no fan translation for years to come.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:14   Link #26
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Realistically speaking, if the fan translation group doesn't work on it already, everything depend on when NISA announce they won't localize SDR2.
And suffice to say, I don't expect much from the sales because:
1) The anime will be done by the time Trigger Happy Havoc (the hell with that name...) is released, so a lot of people won't bother since they already know the solution
2) Being a vita game, it arguably won't appeal a lot of customers to begin with

And knowing NISA, they will take their sweet time with any announcement whatsoever. Theorically, if the translation group really wait for their decision, I can't see them starting the translation before 2015, so no translation patch before at least 2016 (unless they get insane translator all of a sudden).

The ideal situation would be that the translation group isn't hindered by NISA and/or NISA announce they will release DR1 and SDR2.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:23   Link #27
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
What's Trigger Happy Havoc?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:24   Link #28
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
The official "sub title" for Dangan Ronpa in English.
However, the logo looks like it is the MAIN title (or the translation?) as Dangan Ronpa is written below in small letters.

http://nisamerica.com/games/danganronpa/
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:28   Link #29
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
I'm... Not sure how to feel about that title.

I don't even get it. What does that word even have to do with what happens in the game?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:36   Link #30
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Our best hope is that somebody gets sick of waiting, takes the LP's translation, edits it, and releases that, I think.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 17:38   Link #31
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
That's.... a LOT of work still. Especially if you want to live up to the quality of DR1's translation patch.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 20:08   Link #32
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Well at the moment SDR2's LP is ongoing. Chances are we'll never have to worry about that project being halted. Eventually they'll reach the ending (although it may take another year...).

Project Zetsubou's twitter confirmed the other day that they are working on SDR2. They claimed that if NISA didn't put out a localization for the game they would, eventually. As for what that means in the face of a C&D and any number of things, it's hard to say. I suspect, however, that we would eventually see a fan patch in the next two years in the absence of an official localization.

Also, about the question of the fan translation being the cause of the remake for Vita, such is extremely doubtful. Chances are that Dangan Ronpa's remake started the same time that production of the anime started.

So based on the link Klashikari provided, I have some very large concerns about the quality of the translation for Dangan Ronpa. Not even just the 'Trigger Happy Havoc' title they're using, but the SDHS titles. Clairvoyent? Pop Star? FASHIONISTA? MORAL FREAKING COMPASS? We know what a Prefect is, Japan. They even left the name Monokuma in apparently instead of switching to Monobear to appeal to Western audiences. Sounds like we may have to use the fan translation even after it's released.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 20:13   Link #33
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Actually, Clairvoyant and Fashionista are proper translations.
To begin with, Yasuhiro with "shaman" doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Clairvoyant is closer to the real meaning of 占い師, which is fortune teller.
Meanwhile, Junko's title is 超高校級の「ギャル」. ギャル is a slang term from US "gal" to name girls who are really into fashion, make up and the likes (some extreme exemple would be the subgroup named "ganguro").
Which means that Junko is actually a girl who follows closely fashion tendencies and all. It is -not- the same as a model, whose job is to promote fashion. Hence why Fashionista is actually the correct translation.
Same thing can be said for Celes's title: high roller doesn't make much sense, while she is just... well a gambler. Same for Leon, and "all star" which implies he can do any sport stuff despite he only excels at Baseball.

Funnily enough, NISA "changed" a mistake they have put so far: Hifumi title was "fanboy" the moment the site was created, and now got changed today as "otaku", but still got quite wrong, considering it is doujin author instead.
Byakuya title is overcomplicated despite heir or scion would work plenty. Mondo's title is overexaggerating his role and will lead to issue with SDR2.
Meanwhile, Sayaka's "pop star" and Kyotaka "moral compass" are just so wrong in so many levels it isn't even funny to me.

On another note, Zetsubou project translation was some sort of mixed bag to me: at times, they really sound like localizing company and changed the meaning of too many things. For instance, Genicoder explanations about her "art" is that she admits being a fujoshi. However, ZP made her say "it is just hot" to do guys, that's it.
Whereas I understand they can't afford using honorics due to the texbox size, it did kill at times how interactions went (Aoi and Hifumi being the main oddball about these). It also change a bit how Genocider considers Byakuya whom she doesn't see as a white knight at all.
They did a good job in general to the point it sure blows some other projects of the same caliber, but some stuff got lost in the process. That being said, NISA is arguably not a company I would praise for their faithfulness in their localization... (I'm looking at you, Neptune series).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-07-16 at 20:27.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 20:41   Link #34
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Personally, I still think it's a little premature to say that DR1 Vita will flop once it's released overseas, but whatever. I'll drop that matter for now.....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
On another note, Zetsubou project translation was some sort of mixed bag to me: at times, they really sound like localizing company and changed the meaning of too many things.



Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about the Zetsubou translation. Though IMO my take on it is that they're trying a little TOO hard to differentiate themselves from Oren's LP translation at Something Awful (because, let's face it; Oren's thread was a HUGE part of the reason why this series grew such a large fanbase outside of Japan in the first place). I mean hell, I still can't get over their "One Percenter" title that they had for Mondo in the demo (which got changed in the final release, but still).



And this is just a personal nitpick of mine.... but I still feel that "Super High-school Level" has a better ring to it than "Super Duper". I dunno, it just feels...... right to me, somehow. Apparently NISA is going with "Ultimate" as far as the student's titles go, and while I do actually like that choice as well, I still really feel that Oren nailed it the first time around.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 20:43   Link #35
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Thank you.
And seing this I can just agree... Sayaka and Mukuro could really need a few pages more.
Strangest think is though that some characters got more pages than Togami or Kirigiri who are main characters oO
Exactly: Whereas I sort of understand that Aoi has that much interactions, it still baffled me that Kyouko barely has 5, and that even with her final interaction, nothing goes on afterwards.
I sure hope the vita remake will fix that point with the school mode, although I shouldn't hold my breath about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Personally, I still think it's a little premature to say that DR1 Vita will flop once it's released overseas, but whatever. I'll drop that matter for now.....
Well, I have a vita and checking the niche game left and right, it isn't really that engaging from either jp or westerner POV. Which is why NISA decision surprised me (as in, localizing DR) but then figured out there is a catch, thus only DR1.
Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about the Zetsubou translation. Though IMO my take on it is that they're trying a little TOO hard to differentiate themselves from Oren's LP translation at Something Awful (because, let's face it; Oren's thread was a HUGE part of the reason why this series grew such a large fanbase outside of Japan in the first place). I mean hell, I still can't get over their "One Percenter" title that they had for Mondo in the demo (which got changed in the final release, but still).
One percenter...? What the hell?
Quote:
And this is just a personal nitpick of mine.... but I still feel that "Super High-school Level" has a better ring to it than "Super Duper". I dunno, it just feels...... right to me, somehow. Apparently NISA is going with "Ultimate" as far as the student's titles go, and while I do actually like that choice as well, I still really feel that Oren nailed it the first time around.....
The thing is: the original japanese title indicates that the said student is X with a category that is beyond simple high school class. It really implies a category.
To me, super duper is just that, a notion that indicate the student is an excellent high schooler of a given speciality, but that's that.

To illustrate this:
Super Duper High School Programmer: means to me that Chihiro is a high school programmer being quite brilliant
Super/Ultra High School Level Programmer: means Chihiro is a programmer, but from an outstanding high school category.

That's a bit nitpicky, but I see a certain difference there, hence why I was never fond of "super duper" either.
That said, Ultimate doesn't sound that great to me, considering it would mean they are "the" best at that speciality, unless they mean "Ultimate High School X". If they remove the high school part, it will be quite awkward.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 21:06   Link #36
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I was pissed off by the major difference in pages between some characters. I certainly think that Yasuhiro and Celes really didn't need that many pages for them, whereas Sayaka and Junko have the utter short end of a stick.
Still, good thing SDR2 doesn't have the same system. Grinding the profiles/skills and medals are a major PITA.

Yeah, the sequel really does have improve over the original's weak points by leaps and bounds. Though personally I'm not that bothered about Hagakure getting so many free time scenes since he's hilarious, lol.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
One percenter...? What the hell?
From Wikipedia:


Quote:
One Percenter, a term for a member of an Outlaw motorcycle club derived from the statement "99% of motorcyclists are law-abiding citizens"

HERP DERP LETS USE AN OBSCURE BIKER REFERENCE FOR THE BIKER GUY



Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
The thing is: the original japanese title indicates that the said student is X with a category that is beyond simple high school class. It really implies a category.
To me, super duper is just that, a notion that indicate the student is an excellent high schooler of a given speciality, but that's that.

To illustrate this:
Super Duper High School Programmer: means to me that Chihiro is a high school programmer being quite brilliant
Super/Ultra High School Level Programmer: means Chihiro is a programmer, but from an outstanding high school category.

That's a bit nitpicky, but I see a certain difference there. Ultimate doesn't sound that great to me, considering it would mean they are "the" best at that speciality, unless they mean "Ultimate High School X". If they remove the high school part, it will be quite awkward.



Again, I get the point, and I even admit myself that I'm being nitpicky. But I guess I feel that SHSL is simple and to the point, is all. I mean, the whole reason for the title in the first place is that the Hope's Peak students are all supposed to "super-excel" in their respective fields, correct? So it's not like the original Japanese term literally translates to something like "Ultra Mega Hyper High-school Level", right? I guess what I'm saying is that I feel "Super Duper" is a slightly excessive way of translating a term that already sounds pretty ridiculous in the first place (though again, this is just me being biased here).....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 21:19   Link #37
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Actually, I was agreeing with you but for other reason.
Past the fact super duper looks even more ridiculous than the "normal translation", I think you lose a certain subtlty by removing the class/level mention. It basically remove that aspect of a "category" which is actually required after learning more about DR in general.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 22:03   Link #38
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
HERP DERP LETS USE AN OBSCURE BIKER REFERENCE FOR THE BIKER GUY
I read about this. From what I could gather this was a completely legitimate use of the phrase and the only reason it failed is because of the movement in the U.S. using that same phrase. As far as I could tell, that's not actually an obscure reference. I suspect we'd have to ask some people from Japan about that for a nail in the coffin, though.

Quote:
Again, I get the point, and I even admit myself that I'm being nitpicky. But I guess I feel that SHSL is simple and to the point, is all. I mean, the whole reason for the title in the first place is that the Hope's Peak students are all supposed to "super-excel" in their respective fields, correct? So it's not like the original Japanese term literally translates to something like "Ultra Mega Hyper High-school Level", right? I guess what I'm saying is that I feel "Super Duper" is a slightly excessive way of translating a term that already sounds pretty ridiculous in the first place (though again, this is just me being biased here).....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Actually, I was agreeing with you but for other reason.
Past the fact super duper looks even more ridiculous than the "normal translation", I think you lose a certain subtlty by removing the class/level mention. It basically remove that aspect of a "category" which is actually required after learning more about DR in general.
I was always under the impression that the SDHSchoolers are supposed to be beyond even professionals in their field. That's the precedent they create with the majority of the cast. Chihiro is supposed to have created an absolutely amazing piece of software as her first project at a young age, something that was above and beyond professional work. Maizono and Junko are both, from what I could tell, the most famous idol and model in the country. Touko has basically done the equivalent of Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray in her career as an author.

So going off of their history it seems like they're supposed to be the best of the best, in a sense.

To clarify about the titles from last page, I think that some of them were done well. Celes for example was perfectly fine. It mainly those select few that were a bit strange to me. Any particular reason why they would choose to label Touko as 'writer' instead of 'author'?
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-16, 22:24   Link #39
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
To clarify about the titles from last page, I think that some of them were done well. Celes for example was perfectly fine. It mainly those select few that were a bit strange to me. Any particular reason why they would choose to label Touko as 'writer' instead of 'author'?

Well, if you want to get real specific about it, her title in the original Japanese was "SHSL Literary Girl", which I believe suggests she was the bookish type in general. Though personally "writer" doesn't really bother me much.



Actually, going back to the SHSL thing for a bit, part of what makes the original translation so funny to me is that a bunch of those kid's abilities barely have anything (if at all) to do with high school. I mean, just what does stuff like good luck or fortunetelling have to do with high school in the first place? Last I recall, Hope's Peak wasn't described as being some kind of Japanese Hogwarts. And wouldn't being a biker leader make you more of a SHSL Dropout, which is kind of the OPPOSITE of representing the world's greatest hope?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 03:37   Link #40
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Funnily enough, NISA "changed" a mistake they have put so far: Hifumi title was "fanboy" the moment the site was created, and now got changed today as "otaku", but still got quite wrong, considering it is doujin author instead.
It was originally "Fatty", actually. Yes, you're reading that right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
whereas Sayaka and Junko have the utter short end of a stick.
...Which is mostly because they die so early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Though personally I'm not that bothered about Hagakure getting so many free time scenes since he's hilarious, lol.
Oh wow, someone else who likes him. I'm not as alone as I thought, heh.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.