AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 46 21.80%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 19.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 39 18.48%
7 out of 10 : Good 36 17.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 29 13.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 2.37%
4 out of 10 : Poor 7 3.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.95%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.42%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.95%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-23, 04:36   Link #101
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
As I can often be I'm very late to the party, but I've just managed to finish Sword Art Online and in one solid sweep!

A little prefacing here: I was a huge fan of the .hack series, so initially the prospect of another "stuck in a virtual game world" game was met with a lot of skepticism for me. In a lot of ways though, I feel like SAO really made something of itself compared to .Hack, save for one serious parallel that I'll touch on.

Spoiler for My detailed wall of text on Sword Art Online:


All in all, I had a lot to say about SAO both positive and negative. I devoted the day to watching through this entire series and I don't regret it, nor do i think I'll forget it any time soon. Personally, I wish for a bigger and better SAO from this author. Heck, I welcome other anime with the premise of a virtual game world.

Edit: I should add that my rant betrays the fact that I'm aware that this is an adaptation.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 22:24   Link #102
Excalib3r
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Finished watching this and I realised my life sadly fails in comparison, Kirito and Asuna are so perfect for eachother it makes me pretty sad that I don't have that magic with my girlfriend. Kirito was a complete loner in the start of the series & yet he has no trouble finding friends / admirers, and even worse he falls for this perfect girl and she falls for him. They have the perfect life the perfect true love its depressing; every girl Kirito meets likes him, if only life were like that. The final moment after SAO finished was sad not just in the anime but for me as well, it was such a beautiful moment where Kirito and Asuna shared that perfect moment 'last kiss'.

I watched the series again hoping it would make me feel better but it just made it a lot worse.
Excalib3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 19:50   Link #103
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalib3r View Post
They have the perfect life the perfect true love its depressing; every girl Kirito meets likes him, if only life were like that.
It's a fairy tale story, so it's not unexpected that it will be unrealistic and cater to the fantasy whims of its viewers. For what it's worth I disagree with the idea that their life would be perfect. Being trapped in a game, forced to battle various monsters and players, and having their friends torn from them? I doubt that the series would show this angle even if there were a sequel, but Kirito and Asuna both would likely have PTSD to contend with. Then there would be readjusting to society, as well as the fact that they lost two years of their lives in a game, placing them two years behind their peers in education and career. Sure, their time in the game arguably honed other skills and abilities, but they're still at a disadvantage.

Cheer up
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 00:24   Link #104
ramhari purush
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
thanku

thank u very much for informing about the rank indication, achieving more points leads to the better performance .
ramhari purush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 23:28   Link #105
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ente Isla
Sound : 9/10 the OST and the openings were very good

Plot : 7/10 your typical romance/harem anime,, save the girl from the enemy story. except is just enclosed in a virtual world

Art : 9/10 looks great

Voice: 8/10 they did pretty well

maybe if they add gun gale online it could make the storyline better
and I think SAO is better than Accel world though
__________________
Friendship and Rivalry. These two have it
Bakaizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 07:04   Link #106
nGumball
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Alot can be said.

However to make a long story short, Sword Art Online was an anime that I more or less, totally enjoyed. I even, took the time, to watch it twice, something that I haven't done in a long time. It may not be perfect, but was good enough to catch my attention and therefore entertained quite alot.

8/10
Waiting for the second season!
nGumball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-26, 21:10   Link #107
Roe
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I vote Excellent yeah

i want this game the risk of losing ur life in a video game means losing ur life in reality thats one hell of an adrenaline rush i want this game now i want to risk my real life in a virtual world

and omg guys check this working virtual console. So close to nerve gear XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OrANjgeYe0

sorry for the 5 second delay first

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-07-28 at 15:59. Reason: switched to regular link
Roe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 02:37   Link #108
Ravagerblade
Magic God Othinus
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: "United" States
Age: 23
What this series needs. Is a complete reboot to build onto same overall plot but flesh out it as much as possible and instead of the boring as hell completely overused 2-cour broadcasting w/e shit, make as many episodes as needed to fully immerse into the world.

SAO arc - I could write more than page worth of Animesuki page talking about it that I won't or I'd try to cut down on talking about it massively. I will say one thing though, The Kirito and Asuna relationship is so far fetched it's not even funny. I don't see the appeal in it. Episode 2 we first meet her; she's quiet the loner herself. next episode apparently she's good with a stabbing sword but somehow doesn't know much about the game's UI even though it's been a month in game, The next time we see her she apparently took a level in badass and is just as good as our resident hero; From sheltered girl to demanding girl whose apparently on the front lines and is hot tempered. After the next few instances of the anime episodes, we get a romance. ? Ummm where did this happen? Because the damn show doesn't show much interaction between those two developing such bonds. They want to marry all of a sudden? Time flies when your having fun I guess, I didn't even know they were friends! acquaintances at best.
For me the whole damn thing was rushed. I blame the Author's fault, he clearly doesn't know what to write for romance. (I'll try and be more generous and blame the script but it's an adaption from a LN) The biggest fault the story has is rushing the damn arc itself. Personally I wouldn't mind a 100 or so episodes focusing on SAO to flesh out the two years. Characters came and went that its hard to 'bond' with the characters and cherish them; Sachi actually is an exception; no matter how much her
Spoiler for spoilers of characters:
could have been avoided, but apparently story demands the hero go BSOD.

/sigh again i'll re-edit with more, this is time consuming lol

ALO arc - The whole urgency to see if Asuna was there up at the Tree is somewhat understandable, So for the biggest flaw and fail for this Arc is the way it was developed right from the beginning. Kirito going off to save the damsel in distress/captive. Oh she just so happened to have been one of the 300 people who Sugou re-routed, Diablo ex Machina/Contrived Coincidence much?

I think I'm one of the few who liked the arc, flaws not withstanding, Elfs? yes cliché but hey it's still interesting with difference racial bonuses(World of Warcraft anybody?) This arc features Suguha who we don't know much about; but hey this is were character development happens. We learn that she is in Kendo, and so on. Over the course of the arc we find out she has feelings for her brother... errr her cousin! (I'm one of the few if the only one that actually ship these two together, the whole KiritoXAsuna felt to rushed for me to enjoy(maybe with more content it could change)) while this somewhat overused plot point(w/e) is used (excuse me for my bias) over the course of two years of waiting for her 'brother' she had developed what I call the Florence Nightingale Effect, it happens. So while Kirito had feelings for Asuna, Suguha has feelings for Kirito (WTF its a love triangle, cliché but it happens lol(just look at the Snapped show on TV my mom likes it for some reason) not the point). Suguha who previously stated she detested VRMMO's, plays ALO to understand her brother, this most likely happened around a year after SAO came out. If that isn't love then I don't know what love is! lol.

lol I'm getting tired, I'll probably write more later. but there's some things to how I felt about the latter part of this anime.
__________________
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-02, 22:19   Link #109
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Finished.
Many many plotholes here and there, big lack of actual fighting, strategy or any real MMO stuff.
But lots of plot (in both meanings), a nice emotional background, good graphics and good music.

Overall a very pleasant experience. Hype for S2 I guess.

I really need to get my hands on OP2 and ED2 and loop them 24/7 for the next week...
__________________
Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-02, 22:51   Link #110
Rageth
That Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
Many many plotholes here and there
You say that, but I'm not sure you actually know what that means.
Mind giving some examples?
Rageth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-03, 05:06   Link #111
Farodin
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
What this series needs. Is a complete reboot to build onto same overall plot but flesh out it as much as possible and instead of the boring as hell completely overused 2-cour broadcasting w/e shit, make as many episodes as needed to fully immerse into the world.
That's where your critic seems unfair to me.Before it was animated SAO did not have the attention it has nowadays.Anime is business,which is why producers and companies will and cannot take the risk of animating a new series in 25+ episodes in the scale of Naruto,One Piece etc.,simply because each single episode involves high costs which can only be paid off through DVD and merchandise sales.Of course the producers had to cut certain scenes and things out and in my opinion SAO managed to do pretty well with it's limited episode count.Regarding the whole Kirito and Asuna relationship you're probably right.For those who only watched the anime it really seems rushed but having read the novels I think their relationship progress seems perfectly fine.
Farodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-05, 19:50   Link #112
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
Many many plotholes here and there, big lack of actual fighting, strategy or any real MMO stuff.
Series that cover MMORPGs are becoming greater in number, but before Sword Art Online there was only really .hack//Sign. .hack (the stand-alone anime series, not the video games) did a terrible job of conveying anything about MMORPGs, and after the first episode, video games. I felt that Sword Art Online beautifully conveyed a MMORPG world, from guilds and parties to dungeons and equipment changes. I also appreciated that life bars and in-game menus were fairly common, which was also a nice reminder that everything was within the game (again, big contrast to .hack). Now we have Log Horizon (and to a lesser extend, Accel World), which may make what Sword Art Online accomplished seem less unique. But SAO captured modern-day MMORPG elements and strategies very nicely.

Recently re-watched the series with my wife (my second watch, her first). She was more enthusiastic about it than any other anime series that we've watched together. We're both eagerly awaiting season 2.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-05, 19:56   Link #113
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Series that cover MMORPGs are becoming greater in number, but before Sword Art Online there was only really .hack//Sign. .hack (the stand-alone anime series, not the video games) did a terrible job of conveying anything about MMORPGs, and after the first episode, video games. I felt that Sword Art Online beautifully conveyed a MMORPG world, from guilds and parties to dungeons and equipment changes. I also appreciated that life bars and in-game menus were fairly common, which was also a nice reminder that everything was within the game (again, big contrast to .hack). Now we have Log Horizon (and to a lesser extend, Accel World), which may make what Sword Art Online accomplished seem less unique. But SAO captured modern-day MMORPG elements and strategies very nicely.

Recently re-watched the series with my wife (my second watch, her first). She was more enthusiastic about it than any other anime series that we've watched together. We're both eagerly awaiting season 2.
Heh, but keep in mind this only refers to anime. In other media we've had depictions of virtual reality worlds since the '80s.
And specifically in regard to MMORPGs the koreans have been making manwha regarding them for more than a decade as well.
__________________
Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.


Last edited by kache; 2014-06-06 at 14:11.
kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 06:59   Link #114
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Binge-watched season 1... Although I liked it, I think it could have been a lot better.

- I would have liked to see more MMO principles being applied/shown
- Character development was pretty horrendous tbh
- Some episodes didn't really add much to the plot/development and were too episodic
- Arcs were rather short so a lot of stuff felt rushed
- Kirito was a walking cliche, little to no depth to him (again, lack of character development across the board)

Nevertheless I did get sucked into it quite a bit, or I wouldn't have finished it in one go.

7/10
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 14:43   Link #115
chris211321
Anthony
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
What good people. My name is Anthony and I'm new here (just joined a minute ago). Just thought I'd jump right into this thread as I am an avid SAO fan.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that Kirito and Asuna stay together, and that someone else besides me thought they did a terrible job ending this series.

However, I also think that their relationship would be nothing without conflict and competition. Although I disliked how quckly they rapped up all the different plot arcs, I thought the brother-sister love twist was pretty interesting and emotionally charged. It also helped to bring out Kirito's devotion to Asuna, which we don't really see after episode 16 until the near end.

I had this incomplete feeling inside after the season finale, mainly because of how rushed it was. Interesting enough, I didn't get any closure after the extra edition came out. I still feel a sort of emptiness. However, this is probably because one of my all time favorite series was coming to an end, and I still have to wait for season 2 :/

I wanted to take a second to talk about something no one else seems to care about on this forum: how frequently Kirito taps girls on the head. Every female character in the show, from Asuna to his sister, gets a stead stream of these "love taps" throughout the season.

I generally regard myself as a sane, functioning, anime-loving alcoholic. However, last weekend, I decided to let my inner Kirito run wild, and began tapping girls on the head when they bugged/bothered/joked with/charmed me. The feedback I receieved was anything but what you'd expect.

Long story short, I met and have been seeing a girl for about a week now, never mentioning to her why I pat her on the head or what it means to me when I do. It's strange, but I think they nailed this part of human nature on the head. We have a weird kind of connection through this simple action, even though our relationship has been built upon a wide variety of other factors, opinions, traits, and interests.

That being said, I also noticed that certain people FREAK OUT when you touch their hair in any small way. So be careful out there fellow SAO-lovers.

10/10, best anime ever, shout-out to those who cried at least twice during the series (I'm right there with you). Peace.

Last edited by Flower; 2014-07-03 at 22:45.
chris211321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-27, 16:04   Link #116
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris211321 View Post
I wanted to take a second to talk about something no one else seems to care about on this forum: how frequently Kirito taps girls on the head. Every female character in the show, from Asuna to his sister, gets a stead stream of these "love taps" throughout the season.

I generally regard myself as a sane, functioning, anime-loving alcoholic. However, last weekend, I decided to let my inner Kirito run wild, and began tapping girls on the head when they bugged/bothered/joked with/charmed me. The feedback I receieved was anything but what you'd expect.

Long story short, I met and have been seeing a girl for about a week now, never mentioning to her why I pat her on the head or what it means to me when I do. It's strange, but I think they nailed this part of human nature on the head. We have a weird kind of connection through this simple action, even though our relationship has been built upon a wide variety of other factors, opinions, traits, and interests.

That being said, I also noticed that certain people FREAK OUT when you touch their hair in any small way. So be careful out there fellow SAO-lovers.

10/10, best anime ever, shout-out to those who cried at least twice during the series (I'm right there with you). Peace.
That's mostly females, because they put a stupid amount of effort in keeping it "perfect"...
__________________
Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 14:56   Link #117
chris211321
Anthony
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kache View Post
That's mostly females, because they put a stupid amount of effort in keeping it "perfect"...
So I'm guessing you wouldn't like me very much.
chris211321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 16:11   Link #118
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Italy
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris211321 View Post
So I'm guessing you wouldn't like me very much.
Guess I wouldn't be patting you much on the head.
__________________
Ipsa scientia potestas est.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-28, 17:38   Link #119
chris211321
Anthony
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
It takes me about an hour each day to arrive at this perfection, so no, you wouldn't be patting me much on the head.

I forgot to mention in my bio that I'm an accomplished male model. Just call me blue steel.
chris211321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-29, 06:28   Link #120
c933103
FTNR
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hong Kong, UTC+8
I would say it is only suitable to those of closer relations....
c933103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.