AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-19, 15:39   Link #861
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
It's not uncommonly phrased in interviews. The second Chuunibyou booklet has its series composer, Junki Hanada, comment that everything except the chuunibyou images was difficult to write. Saying that composing an original series is hard isn't unexpected to hear.
It's not that. First he implies he had trouble writing the main character because he's... a guy? o__o) OK... Then he says that at first he wrote lots of lines for the female characters. I mean... do you realize what kind of anime you're supposed to be writing and who the main characters are? And then he says Ama-chan-sensei is not "feminine"... yes, I understand what he means but come on, just because a female character is not being a hot male fantasy all the time she's not "feminine" or what? o__o) Bad choice of words there...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 17:01   Link #862
MeggieMay
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
Nobody ships poor Makoto...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lota View Post
I do! I do! Makoto and Gou... I have no idea why, but I don't want either of them with anyone else. Though it'll be tough for poor Gou to watch Makoto making goo-goo eyes at Haru all the time
I'll second Makoto and Gou for a pairing! I also think the Captian of the other school team isn't out of the running for Gou, which is setting up a non Yaoi love triangle which could get interesting if this show gets a second season. Because I think this is only a 12 episode series and I'm not sure there's time to really go into relationships that much with it being that length. As for why I feel this might work, it's because Makato is the person who first notices Gou in Episode 1 (IIRC she noticed all three of them first but I don't have time to re-watch the episode at the moment so I hope I'm right). It's not much of a reason but it just stood out to me, for what it's worth . Another triangle is Haru/Rin/Pool-chan which has to be one of more amusing situations to think about I've seen in a anime
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 17:11   Link #863
Triple_R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Thanks!

I don't really understand what they mean when they say thinking of Haruka as a heroine made things easier for them. He doesn't really act like a heroine... and I don't get how writing a heroine is easier than writing a hero.
Your typical male lead in an anime show has romantic interest (in a specific girl, or girls in general) as a core motivation. Lots of well-worn tropes arise from that, meaning that a lot of scenes practically write themselves.

So for writers used to this sort of male character, one like Haruka (a major male character in a show aimed at fujoshis) can be a challenge. Because the guy has no obvious interest in romance, so a lot of the "easy outs" aren't there. So what do you look to in order to shape the character's characterization? What characters can you use as references for him?

Well, girls in all-girl shows often have driving motivations that have nothing to do with romance. Consider the girls of Love Live!, or Girls und Panzer, or many a magical girls show. They tend to have passionate goals that they work towards in a certain fashion. I see a little bit of that in Haruka, and his passion for swimming.



Quote:
I get what he's saying about Gou and Ama-chan. They're not exactly "girly" by anime standards. They act like sensible human beings rather than "anime girls", which means they don't offend anybody and can therefore be liked by female viewers (males too).
Ama-chan strikes me as pretty feminine. She's no less feminine than any of the adult female characters in Majestic Prince, imo.

Gou isn't particularly feminine, but nor does she make me think tomboy. She's more feminine than a lot of anime female characters, imo.

The thing with both characters is that, yes, they're wrote to be sensible human beings. But sensible human beings can come in a wide range from very feminine to very masculine. There's nothing particularly feminine about, say, a KugRie Tsundere exploding on someone. It's just silly. Thankfully, these female characters aren't like that.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 18:05   Link #864
Suomi
Kaiba
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: David Tennant's bedroom in the TARDIS
Can I just say that I love all the male fanservice in this show.
Even if it's not sexualized in quite the same way as a lot of anime girl shows are, I still love that. Haru's eyes and abs. Yum.
I sort of ship Haru/Rin already, though Haru/Mako could make a nice ship also. I'm really enjoying the introduction of Rei also, because he's hilarious and his pure adoration of Haru's swimming beauty is great.
I also appreciate that the show is targeted at females in some ways, but not in the traditional way as with a female-dominated show. It's unusual.
I'm waiting every week for Tuesday to come so the next episode will come out...
__________________
Suomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 20:36   Link #865
leongsh
Daijoubu!
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malaysia
This is one of those anime that I watch mainly to read the reactions thereafter. The very good animation of swimming scenes helps although there's still limited amount of it so far - likely to cost a lot of time and money to have extended stretches of the action.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 21:20   Link #866
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i'd totally ship Makoto and Gou.
Same here!

I think they'd be cute together. Besides, Nagisa has his new waifu with Rei the BellyFlopper now.

I'm totally surprised at how much I really liked Rei, considering that he didn't stand out at all in the previews...
__________________
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 00:01   Link #867
mistress_kisara
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I saw this in Tumblr and I can't stop laughing! XD

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Actual amazon product: http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Cheyenne-...rhf_se_p_tnr_1
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 00:08   Link #868
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

Ama-chan strikes me as pretty feminine. She's no less feminine than any of the adult female characters in Majestic Prince, imo.

Gou isn't particularly feminine, but nor does she make me think tomboy. She's more feminine than a lot of anime female characters, imo.

The thing with both characters is that, yes, they're wrote to be sensible human beings. But sensible human beings can come in a wide range from very feminine to very masculine. There's nothing particularly feminine about, say, a KugRie Tsundere exploding on someone. It's just silly. Thankfully, these female characters aren't like that.
I don't know if they mean that the girls aren't "feminine" per say. Just that they aren't your usual anime (or even Japanese, to a degree) standard of girl. They aren't ultra submissive, nor idiots, nor blank slates, nor personality deprived, nor soft-hearted ditzes, nor yelling tsundere, nor girls with something to prove that will end up being soft and squishy later.

They act like normal girls, that do normal things. Something that is an extremely rare breed in anime. And yet, they wonder why female anime characters don't often do well with the female audience?
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 01:03   Link #869
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Age: 25
well, it is the same backpack. haha. kyoani really went above and beyond for that.

also, i know why i like makoto. he reminds me of nathan adrian.
__________________
Aria is the best series EVER. Rewatch Origination with me.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 03:06   Link #870
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
I was taking a shower and I suddenly found my self waving off the water in my hair like Haru in the ED.

I'm sure all of you tried it at least once.

Don't lie to me! I'm not the only one doing this! Also this:

MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 03:09   Link #871
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Don't lie to me! I'm not the only one doing this!
I'm afraid if I do that I'd lose more of my hair.

*is getting bald at a young age*
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 03:46   Link #872
Blonto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Your typical male lead in an anime show has romantic interest (in a specific girl, or girls in general) as a core motivation. Lots of well-worn tropes arise from that, meaning that a lot of scenes practically write themselves.
I'm really not sure where you're getting that? Shounen and sports anime from my albeit limited experience tend to have getting better and competitiveness as core motivation. Romance is thrown in more as an afterthought. Occasionally it will be used to motivate the guy to protect someone, however this same motivation tends to be done using friends and family.

Harems aren't much different either. Take the typical harem lead. He's practically castrated and incredibly passive because giving him a romantic motivation would ruin the harem (since harems strive due to indecisiveness).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
What characters can you use as references for him?
Only every Kyoani lead ever? Passive stoic with a hint of eccentricity is a trope they're very fond of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, girls in all-girl shows often have driving motivations that have nothing to do with romance. Consider the girls of Love Live!, or Girls und Panzer, or many a magical girls show. They tend to have passionate goals that they work towards in a certain fashion. I see a little bit of that in Haruka, and his passion for swimming.
This is a fairly recent change. The rise of all-girls show happened due to the fact that the authors realized horny otaku and yuri fanboys would rather watch an all-girls show, than the same show with boys. Strong motivations used to be a guy thing (especially in shounen and sports anime), but now guys are relegated merely to passive, empty self-inserts.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 06:40   Link #873
Triple_R
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
I'm really not sure where you're getting that?
Perhaps "Romance as a core motivation" isn't the best way to convey it. So rather, romance tends to surround the typical anime male lead whether he wants it or not.

This lends itself to all sorts of "easy outs", writing-wise. You guys know what I'm talking about here. They're some of the oldest harem anime cliches in the book.


Quote:
Only every Kyoani lead ever? Passive stoic with a hint of eccentricity is a trope they're very fond of.
Haruka isn't passive. He's very proactive when it comes to his swimming passion. It's not something he has to be dragged into, initially against his will and/or considerable reservations (as is the case with most KyoAni male leads).


Quote:
Strong motivations used to be a guy thing (especially in shounen and sports anime), but now guys are relegated merely to passive, empty self-inserts.
Yes, but like you say, times have changed. And perhaps whoever is writing this is somewhat new, and never handled anybody like, say, DBZ's Goku or Bleach's Ichigo before.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a sad commentary that a male writer would have a hard time writing a male character like Haruka, to the point he'd have to think about female characters to make Haruka work. I'm just trying to explain where the writer might be coming from, because he must be coming from somewhere. There's no reason for the writer to lie about this, after all. So him finding it easier to write Haruka with a heroine template in mind instead of a hero one must be rooted in something.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 07:08   Link #874
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
After 3 episodes, the lolfactor for this series has worn off for me now. Essentially, I'm feeling the same way about the series like I did for Tamako Market whereby there was a element or two that interested me but what it's largely been so far has been manservice which although was initially funny is kinda boring me now. The characters are not very interesting and two dimensional. Both the teacher and Gou are kinda stereotypical moeblobs and stand in fujioshi character. The male characters are just fanservice for the females. There is a severe lack of swimming or swimming related activities. The visuals although not Hyouka-tier, is great and the dubstep audio does suit the sports theme, but it is severely lacking in meaningful content. I'll still continue to watch it, since the reactions to the show is more entertaining than the show itself, but in the end it's just another Kyoani money grabbing scheme.

Will be looking at Kyoukai no Kanata for Kyoani's next legitimate good series instead.
__________________

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-07-20 at 10:53.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 09:12   Link #875
RainbowMagnet
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
The lolfactor for this series has worn off for me now. Essentially, I'm feeling the same way about the series like I did for Tamako Market whereby there was a element or two that interested me but what it's largely been so far has been manservice which although was initially funny is kinda boring me now. The characters are not very interesting and two dimensional. Both the teacher and Gou are kinda stereotypical moeblobs and stand in fujioshi character. The male characters are just fanservice for the females. There is a severe lack of swimming or swimming related activities. The visuals although not Hyouka-tier, is great and the dubstep audio does suit the sports theme, but it is severely lacking in meaningful content. I'll still continue you watching it, since the reactions to the show is more entertaining than the show itself, but in the end it's just another Kyoani money grabbing scheme.

Will be looking at Kyoukai no Kanata for Kyoani's next legitimate good series instead.
I'm not sure if we're watching the same series...

I agree with the rest of your post though. Although I'm still enjoying the series, some of the jokes are starting to wear off. Particularely the Gou/Kou thing.
RainbowMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 09:20   Link #876
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
"There is a severe lack of swimming or swimming related activities."

Little focus on the actual swimming element, much focus on male characters stripping and flexing their musclely bodies. See Chihayafuru or Ginga no Kickoff for recent examples on how to do sports anime.

"Kinda stereotypical moeblobs and stand in fujioshi character."

Teacher is a typical airheaded kyoani female adult. From Key adaptations to K-on to Chuunibyou to this, they have been consistently the same. Gou is a standin fujioshi character that just glees in delight everytime a male character strips. Both of them are very two dimensional and not interesting at all.

"Another Kyoani money grabbing scheme."

It's a pretty common criticism that Kyoani is a pretty poor studio when it comes to diversification. Just because they switched from cute girls doing cute things to cute boys doing cute things does not change the fact they are pandering with this one. It's just a different demography.


Now don't get me wrong. There is a lot of polish in this series as with other Kyoani series, but it's severely lacking in substance. I'm liking for the visuals and for the reactions it gets. The sexist/misogynist comments everywhere never gets old in their stupidity.
__________________

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2013-07-20 at 10:07.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 09:56   Link #877
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Pocari Sweat, be wary of KyoAni fans citing Hyouka. Also, diversecharadesigns.jpg. They will smack you with that shit until you say you're sorry.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 10:11   Link #878
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
They can cite Hyouka all they want and I wouldn't care. It may be a fantastic series and one of my favourites of 2012 but exceptions do not really change anything.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 10:18   Link #879
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I still don't understand why some people can't accept this anime for what it is (female-oriented fanservice show) and judge it on that basis instead of whatever else they were expecting (for some weird reason).

1) This is a sports anime as much as Sengoku Otome is a historical anime. It has some nicely animated swimming, yes. So?
2) This anime is not supposed to be about the female characters. (Also, if you're going to use a word at least know what it means and how to spell it.)
3) Anime is in fact a business and KyoAni wants to make money.
4) If you're a guy who doesn't enjoy shows focusing on guys who strip a lot, this show was never meant to appeal to you. You might as well just accept it.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 10:21   Link #880
Blonto
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Perhaps "Romance as a core motivation" isn't the best way to convey it. So rather, romance tends to surround the typical anime male lead whether he wants it or not.
I don't think you can compare Haruka to harem leads, since Free isn't a harem. Free is slice of life and sports and those genres tend to put little emphasis on romance, often not having any all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Haruka isn't passive. He's very proactive when it comes to his swimming passion. It's not something he has to be dragged into, initially against his will and/or considerable reservations (as is the case with most KyoAni male leads).
He is passive from a storytelling point of view. Pretty much the only drive you would expect from him, the competitive drive, is dead (in the water, harharhar). His only motivation is to not compete, to keep the status quo. That's passive. He is dragged around and told what to do and he has little initiative to do anything on his own that could be relevant to the story. This is typical of male Kyoani protagonists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Little focus on the actual swimming element, much focus on male characters stripping and flexing their musclely bodies. See Chihayafuru or Ginga no Kickoff for recent examples on how to do sports anime.
While you are undeniably right with your other criticisms, you seem to contradict yourself here. The show is pretty pressured to focus on swimming, since that's the only way to get maaanservice and it features swimming once or twice per episode. The rest is typical highschool antics, since that's like air to Kyoani.

I don't see how fanservice during swimming negates the fact that there's swimming going on. You might not register it as swimming relevant to your interests, but the swimming itself actually isn't fanservicey, considering you can't see much from all the bubbles and water. It's the preparations and the aftermath that produce the most fanservice.
Blonto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.