AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-07-20, 14:02   Link #981
ReddyRedWolf

For wondering how big Robots in Robot Jox are compared to Pacific Rim's Jaegers.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 16:26   Link #982
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Question about the alien broskis.

Spoiler for ending spoiler:
The planet was a lot more different back then. Probably too clean for the aliens.

It was only in the 21st century when the Earth had become polluted that the conditions are now ripe for the aliens.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 17:52   Link #983
Xagzan

Just saw it, WOW that was pure adrenaline fun. I could actually see what was going on during the fights.

Idris Elba was awesome, Mako was excellent, and fuckin Hannibal Chau, man!

"Where's my goddamn shoe?"

I only wish there had been more battles,
Spoiler:
But on the whole I loved it. Most thrills I've had in theaters since Avengers. Also found myself half hoping during the epic fight scenes that the seats would rock like a ride at Orlando's Universal Studios, or that they would spray the audience with water or blast us with hot air during appropriate moments
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 20:06   Link #984
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm I find it really weird that the Western audience seem to like Mako more than what I've seen from my Asian friends here in Asia.

I thought her acting was really awkward, both adult and child versions. The child flashback scene started out really great but became really weird towards the end when she put on a really huge smile.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 21:17   Link #985
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Watch this movie twice and I love it a lot. The robots on monsters brawl were awesome, but I really wished that the other Jaegers had more spotlights. The Hong Kong fight also overshadowed the final fight by a mile.

Love the main theme
Old 2013-07-21, 00:25   Link #986
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I never was a big Godzilla fan or of big monster movies. The only big monsters I saw with big mech battles were back when I was a kid watching Power Rangers.

To be honest, this movie was fun to watch. It did lack story and plot, but the animated fights were very fun to watch. This movie was the very first movie that I decided to watch in 3D so it was cool.
Old 2013-07-21, 13:52   Link #987
bumbayker

Looks like Pacific Rim more than doubled it's gross compared to its opening weekend both in the US and internationally in its second week. It's now $68m in the US and $110m internationally. And its not even released in Japan and China yet.
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 14:43   Link #988
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
Looks like Pacific Rim more than doubled it's gross compared to its opening weekend both in the US and internationally in its second week. It's now $68m in the US and $110m internationally. And its not even released in Japan and China yet.

Here in our mall alone, we have like 12 Cinemas.. All of which are field with viewers, and with long lines for the next full show.. I really wish gundam for the part 2. xD
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 14:57   Link #989
Xagzan

The IMAX I went to wasn't packed, but it sure wasn't empty either.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 15:01   Link #990
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
The IMAX I went to wasn't packed, but it sure wasn't empty either.
I go home and watched the movie the next day after our first attempt. Even the last full show of about 9 in the evening were all packed..
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 15:49   Link #991
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
I really wish gundam for the part 2. xD
Del Toro hinted at a Kaiju/Jaeger hybrid, so more like Mechagodzilla.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 18:28   Link #992
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
One question- if the movie cost 190 million to make, why do they need twice that to be profitable?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 18:41   Link #993
Seitsuki
Onee!

Numerous factors. The biggest ones I can think of is the marketing budget, and of course the fact that money grossed ≠ money in the bank for the studio. Foreign revenue earns them an even smaller cut. (Expenses, currency fluctuations, tariffs...)
Old 2013-07-21, 18:55   Link #994
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
One question- if the movie cost 190 million to make, why do they need twice that to be profitable?
Because movies have a marketing budget that's separate from the production budget. And in addition, the movie makers don't get all the money from ticket sales, especially from countries outside of the USA.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 19:34   Link #995
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Hmmm I find it really weird that the Western audience seem to like Mako more than what I've seen from my Asian friends here in Asia.

I thought her acting was really awkward, both adult and child versions. The child flashback scene started out really great but became really weird towards the end when she put on a really huge smile.
That IS weird. Kikuchi (Adult Mako) was solid, not better or worse than any of the other actors but the few scenes with young Mako were terrifying and gave me the chills, they were spot on, although I know what you mean about the awkward smile at the end, that was out of place.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 19:37   Link #996
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
That IS weird. Kikuchi (Adult Mako) was solid, not better or worse than any of the other actors but the few scenes with young Mako were terrifying and gave me the chills, they were spot on, although I know what you mean about the awkward smile at the end, that was out of place.
Mako's smile there seemed a bit off I'll admit. But Stacker smiling seemed spot on to me.

Still. I don't think it detracted from the scene.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 19:52   Link #997
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Mako's smile there seemed a bit off I'll admit. But Stacker smiling seemed spot on to me.

Still. I don't think it detracted from the scene.
...I had to go to the bathroom during this scene so I missed it...>_>;
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 20:01   Link #998
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
I think it is because Kikuchi isn't AMAZING. by Amazing, is that Kikuchi look like a girl you can meet on the street somewhere, pretty, but you can easily mistake her for a engineer, comp sci major, or a simple salary woman. Not a super idol by any means.

In order to make it in Asia you pretty much have to be HOT, I mean, really hot, C-cup and truly A level faces (that is probably plastic anyway).

Plus, she really bombed in several of her interviews in Japan, and isn't popular in any TV show.
Old 2013-07-21, 20:21   Link #999
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
There are a variety of factors involved in the production and distribution of a film. The 190 figure represents the production budget only, but the marketing (which is generally undisclosed, but on average a third to a half of the production budget) represents at least 50 million if not closer to 80 million, and then the actual distribution (which includes things like subtitling and physical transportation and printing of the actual films themselves amongst other things) represents at least another 50 million. Additionally, distributors only get around 50% of the money a film makes in theatres (the theatres themselves make money not only from their deathly snacks, but also the tickets sold). This and a few other reasons is why on average a film needs to make twice its budget to be considered profitable.

Here's a good link that explains this info and more (of particular interest is how little foreign gross matters).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 20:33   Link #1000
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
The marketing for Pacific Rim sucked though so it can't be that high. Hell a lot of people didn't even know this movie even existed.

The thing though while Domestic counts for a lot you cannot ignore international markets as they pull in a lot of money. As that article points out Avatar made only 27% of it's box office in America alone. The rest was foreign markets (specifically China).
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster