AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-03, 14:08   Link #9461
GlassesLady
dat apple
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: I'm aliens
Don't worry, Anh Minh, I at least agree with you.

And Mentar... check your shipping goggles, man. HnG has not been "naturally" leading towards "what the fans want" in the least. You're being a bit myopic, here. As for the pacing, this manga has been casually taking multiple chapters to cover a single day since the very beginning. I really don't know why you're complaining now.
__________________
Let me show you my Pokemans.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 14:21   Link #9462
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Then I have a rather different perspective from most fans, I guess.

I've never really cared about the "plot". I've always been here for:
- the humor;
- Hayate and Nagi's loyalty for each other. I'm still not sold on making their relationship a romantic one, and I don't think I ever will be. But I like seeing the lengths Hayate will go to for her, and I love seeing her few moments of personal growth (or at least, temporary un-selfishness) whenever he really needs her. I don't want to see them "together", but I'd hate to see them part ways.
The humor is hit and miss. The last two chapters I actually laughed at were the Hayate vision chapter and the chapter where Hayate taught Ruka how to ride a bike.

I do enjoy seeing Nagi act more than the NEET she is, but again, the last time I was impressed with her character was when she shattered her King's Jewel looooong ago.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 14:53   Link #9463
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Don't worry, Anh Minh, I at least agree with you.

And Mentar... check your shipping goggles, man. HnG has not been "naturally" leading towards "what the fans want" in the least. You're being a bit myopic, here. As for the pacing, this manga has been casually taking multiple chapters to cover a single day since the very beginning. I really don't know why you're complaining now.
Like I was saying...

There's lots of people who agree with you around, they just don't post nearly as often, or at all. This is not exactly the sort of place casual fans go to hang out.

(And I was telling you guys years ago it wasn't going to be Hina, you just didn't believe me.)
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 05:31   Link #9464
bowow0708
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Um, hi? Long time lurker here, I just recently decided to join up in the forum. You guys really have some fun discussions! XD

Just finished reading the latest chapter. For me it was kinda "meh". A bit of good comedy, but to sum it up, Hata sensei is stalling for more time as usual.

by the way Ruka has quite the imagination
bowow0708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 07:26   Link #9465
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Hayate is obviously the real enemy, Ruka's just avoiding the issue by trying to change the setting.

Okay chapter, but yeah it's just setup for the next one. Typical for the chapter before a double issue.

Prior to this chapter though I hadn't realized that the scene where Nagi stumbles unto Hayate and Ruka was supposed to be after the concert. So next chapter is the important one, I suppose.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 10:32   Link #9466
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
This was a great chapter. Hayate might have his good qualities but he's also EVVILLLL I say!
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 13:25   Link #9467
ChampDream
Alive
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: in my really nice house
this chapter was kinda boring, but Ruka does have a silly imagination
__________________
ChampDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 13:38   Link #9468
Mentar
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But I like seeing the lengths Hayate will go to for her, and I love seeing her few moments of personal growth (or at least, temporary un-selfishness) whenever he really needs her. I don't want to see them "together", but I'd hate to see them part ways.
Really? What kind of "growth" do you see?

That's one of the things I find sad, in fact. Whenever there is a chance to actually give Nagi a trace of growth, there is a relapse into her old NEET ways to make another joke about it. Nagi is essentially exactly the same she was at the beginning of the show. There is neither growth nor progress. None whatsoever. Zero.

But hey - if you seriously enjoy what's going on, more power to you. To be honest, I found the entire long Nagi-manga arc incredibly tepid and boring. And seeing yet another fairly likable character (Ruka) tossed into the reset grinder doesn't even really bother me anymore. Which indicates that my personal investment into the show has hit rock bottom.

*shrug*

Well, enjoy.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 15:50   Link #9469
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Really? What kind of "growth" do you see?

That's one of the things I find sad, in fact. Whenever there is a chance to actually give Nagi a trace of growth, there is a relapse into her old NEET ways to make another joke about it. Nagi is essentially exactly the same she was at the beginning of the show. There is neither growth nor progress. None whatsoever. Zero.
Nonsense. At the beginning of the manga, Nagi had no friends except Isumi and Sakuya, spent money like water, could barely be coaxed outside the mansion, was getting into constant tsunder-ish misunderstandings with Hayate, basically never went to school and was incapable of working hard or taking constructive criticism of her manga.

Now she runs an apartment house for a boatload of girls she's good friends and frequently does stuff with, knows how to live on a budget, understands Hayate like no one else, (See the "you did it again, didn't you?" chapter) expresses herself to him freely (See, for instance, her little sitdown and talk with him about the Ruka situation.) and basically fights with him never while Hina is still punching and running.

She still doesn't go to school much but makes an effort and feels bad about it now and again. Furthermore she just got done staying up all night to finish her manuscript after consulting with several people to storyboard and get ideas, ect after an extended trip that involved among other things walking several miles to the point of exhaustion and being able to reach out and ask strangers for help, a stark change from her previous self that was too proud to even admit being lost and couldn't run 50 meters without collapsing. Now days Nagi is as likely to organize a rescue mission for Hayate as the other way around.

Yes, she's still a NEET and still backslides frequently for comedic purposes but claiming she's had zero character growth is absurd. Character growth and becoming a completely different person are not the same thing.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 16:30   Link #9470
Mentar
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Nonsense. At the beginning of the manga, Nagi had no friends except Isumi and Sakuya, spent money like water, could barely be coaxed outside the mansion, was getting into constant tsunder-ish misunderstandings with Hayate, basically never went to school and was incapable of working hard or taking constructive criticism of her manga.
Most of her friends weren't won by herself, but by association with Hayate. She STILL needs to be coaxed out of the mansion, she DID go to school before (though less regularly, it seems), and she is still incapable of working hard. Her manga skills had not improved either - with the exception of the deus ex machina revelation of the second latest chapter which was not prompted by anything but "the author wills it so".

Quote:
Now she runs an apartment house for a boatload of girls she's good friends and frequently does stuff with, knows how to live on a budget, understands Hayate like no one else, (See the "you did it again, didn't you?" chapter) expresses herself to him freely (See, for instance, her little sitdown and talk with him about the Ruka situation.) and basically fights with him never while Hina is still punching and running.
She doesn't run _zip_ (Maria and Hayate do that), she still has no clue about a budget - just doesn't have unlimited funds anymore - and every single girl in the story in a position to help Hayate had "you did it again, didn't you" chapters, too.

Quote:
Yes, she's still a NEET and still backslides frequently for comedic purposes but claiming she's had zero character growth is absurd. Character growth and becoming a completely different person are not the same thing.
Excuse me. If you seriously see her wanton actions in the manga arc as _growth_, be my guest. The way I see it, she did exactly the same she has always done: Flailing around pointlessly, making huge boastful declarations and then realizing her inability to make good on them.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at Nagi, I'm mad at Hata. What he is doing is BS, in my opinion. Yes, every once in a while, Nagi does something which could possibly be construed as "progress", or "growth". And then, 1-2 chapters later, he undoes it again by making Nagi relapse into the same old silly naive childish NEET behavior to score another cheap joke. No consistency. No lasting development. Just a rehash of the same jokes.

I guess Anh_Minh may be right. This story isn't about romance or development after all, it's about the unwavering loyalty of Hayate towards Nagi. Fine then. That simplifies my emotional disattachment. Ask yourself how your interest in this show over the course of the last 150 chapters has developed (that's since Greece). If you can honestly claim that it hasn't significantly waned since them - congrats.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 16:49   Link #9471
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Most of her friends weren't won by herself, but by association with Hayate. .
Kayura. Chiharu. Ruka.

I could go point for point on the rest, but it's a waste of time for both of us.

Quote:
I guess Anh_Minh may be right. This story isn't about romance or development after all, it's about the unwavering loyalty of Hayate towards Nagi. Fine then. That simplifies my emotional disattachment. Ask yourself how your interest in this show over the course of the last 150 chapters has developed (that's since Greece). If you can honestly claim that it hasn't significantly waned since them - congrats.
Still a fan, sorry!

Seriously, I get that you're mad about the direction the manga has gone. It would be awfully hard to miss with you ranting about it the last three years. That doesn't make Mentar the Every-Fan everyone needs to justify themselves too for the crime of still enjoying a comic book.

If it brings you that much grief, just move on already. There's never been any shortage of romcom manga in the world.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:05   Link #9472
Mentar
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Seriously, I get that you're mad about the direction the manga has gone. It would be awfully hard to miss with you ranting about it the last three years. That doesn't make Mentar the Every-Fan everyone needs to justify themselves too for the crime of still enjoying a comic book.

If it brings you that much grief, just move on already. There's never been any shortage of romcom manga in the world.
Point taken. It's the kind of advice I tend to give others, too, so I guess there's divine justice in having them tossed back at me now ^_^; ... and I admit that you are right.

I'd only ask you to understand something. Over all the years I invested countless hours into this show. I've been fansubbing the first two seasons and the first movie. I've been scouring the net for early spoilers. I remember the energy around the show back then - before the poor Manglobe Movie heralded the decline. And now, I can only see how "Cuties" didn't even manage to create more than 5-6 entries per episode.

Old love dies hard, and I hold strong resentment towards Hata for the predictable results of his decisions. Feels like visiting the grave of a former lover. A feeling of incredulity and loss.

Anyway, I shouldn't burden the remaining fans with this negativity. Sorry. I doubt I'll drop by much anymore.

Enjoy!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:18   Link #9473
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I guess Anh_Minh may be right. This story isn't about romance or development after all, it's about the unwavering loyalty of Hayate towards Nagi. Fine then. That simplifies my emotional disattachment. Ask yourself how your interest in this show over the course of the last 150 chapters has developed (that's since Greece). If you can honestly claim that it hasn't significantly waned since them - congrats.
I never liked the Greece arc all that much. My interest waned since way before that. Since... volume 5 or so. But it's been holding steady at "pretty entertaining" ever since.

(I guess the difference between us is that I've always been a lot more casual about HnG. I never loved it so much it disappointed me. I just... like it a lot.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:27   Link #9474
ellifeedn
Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Is the story still set in ~2003?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:31   Link #9475
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Is the story still set in ~2003?
Yes.

Though Hayate has included stuff like PS3s which didn't exist back then. He broke the 4th wall and didn't care.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:35   Link #9476
Megacrash Gr
Ad Astra Per Aspera
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ニューヨーク
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Yes.

Though Hayate has included stuff like PS3s which didn't exist back then. He broke the 4th wall and didn't care.
yea I would like to get an iPhone in that time
__________________
Megacrash Gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:49   Link #9477
ices
Working Hard
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Is the story still set in ~2003?
This chapter show the time of the manga:

Images
The time of the manga
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's 2005, not 2003. (hence, the story started at December 2004)

Last edited by ices; 2013-08-04 at 18:03. Reason: adding the Year
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 17:58   Link #9478
Seitsuki
Onee!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Auckland, NZ
I think the problem is it's hard to find a less appealing character than Nagi. Athena/Luka/Hina= best girl(s). Izumi/Maria don't get featured much (anymore) but are still miles ahead. Even Isumi/Ayumu are more endearing to me than the 'main heroine'.

I feel basically everyone else is either better written and/or better developed. Nagi is just relentlessly dragged along because the author prefers her. When all you have is a hammer...
__________________
thanks to Patchy ♥
Seitsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 18:26   Link #9479
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Nagi's a very unusual heroine. In a lot of ways she's intentionally designed to be different then you'd expect from a stock romantic comedy. And that's fine with me, but different strokes and all.

Still, I think you underestimate how many people do like Nagi, casually or otherwise. She's consistently been the third favorite character (by pretty narrow margins) for pretty much the entirety of the manga. That's actually not bad at all, considering. People like rooting for underdogs and the main heroine in most romcoms has it rough, comparitively.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-08-04 at 19:27.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 19:02   Link #9480
Sol Falling
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 27
I'm pretty fond of Nagi as a human character. Athena and Maria are the only attractive romantic options though. Ruka has gone down in my estimations since jumping into the romantic game so aggressively, so I admit to becoming slightly disengaged with the manga recently. I generally do appreciate Nagi's manga plotline though, so the story is keeping me engaged on that level.

Although romance was presented as a fairly cogent theme up to the Greece arc, I've actually got zero interest in HtG as a harem series. The sincerity behind the romantic themes of the series has really fallen lately (when was that last time I saw Ayumu...?) which is why I have no appreciation for Ruka being shoehorned into it. As far as I'm concerned, the story explicitly put aside romance (via Athena, i.e. Hayate's perfect romantic candidate) to focus on more general/universal themes (like wealth, misfortune, motivation, the creative act, and sustaining a livelihood -- all wrapped up in a fundamental/central concept, the 'power of royalty'), so it's those themes (which are much more tied to Nagi than Hayate right now) which I'm currently interested in. Ruka was much more interesting to me when she was struggling between debt and her dream/desire to be a manga author than now as she's chasing after Hayate.
__________________
Seasonal enjoyment ratings:
Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Sora no Method 20/5 :: Shirobako 20/5 :: Yuuki Yuuna 15/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5
Winter:
Yuri Kuma Arashi 24/5 :: Kancolle 24/5 :: Koufuku Graffiti 80/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Sonohana twitter follow campaign: mikajyo_info :: rewards (anime adaptation if they reach 50000!!)
Exceptional shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.