AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-04-06, 19:48   Link #8621
S.Freedom

He could also work for kodansha/another such group. While his name may've taken a hit because of how Negima ended. I'd still think he commands enough respect within the community that perspective writers would want to work with him.

I think the problem with J Comi is that it's a new concept in a very old fashioned industry. They are still making a profit with printed media. So why risk going digital when the old way is still making them money.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 19:25   Link #8622
Kuze

There are a lot of magazines that were already digital only by the time Negima came to a end and there's only been more since then.

Comic Valkyrie has gone online. Comic Falcom has gone online. Viz has licensed One-Punch Man for the WSJ digital release, and that is already hosted by the author and Yusuke Murata on a website for anyone to see. seiga.niconico even has a section entirely for free reading of releases, with the authorization of the publishing companies. It just keeps going on and on.

If KA thought he was doing something exciting and hot with j-comi that would spark some kind of revolution, then I just don't know. Maybe he is blind to his industry or something.

Getting linked back to this topic through a relink site through ANN is weird.
Kuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 23:26   Link #8623
Dargor

Quote:
While his name may've taken a hit because of how Negima ended...
I'm not sure how much of that is entirely true. While I certainly get that feeling, most reactions I've seen have been between mellow to rather disappointed, but there isn't a whole lot indicating to me that hes created some clusterfuck that groups like Bioware somehow manage to get themselves into (Then again, larger fanbase) on a consistent basis. I'm not even entirely sure how popular the series was, since the few places I've seen have been rather uninterested in it.

Quote:
If KA thought he was doing something exciting and hot with j-comi that would spark some kind of revolution, then I just don't know. Maybe he is blind to his industry or something.
I honestly haven't followed his work on that front, but the few snippits I've seen give me this impression. Maybe he hoped it would at the very least put another viable media to the industries table, but I'm not seeing any sign of that yet. I don't think you would be completely in the dark about your own craft if you're honestly trying to put something new out there for others to use, but hell, it wouldn't shock me.
Dargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 06:43   Link #8624
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yeah, to continue the Bioware comparison, Bioware's reputation is in the gutter it is because many of their recent games had or were great disappointments. Dragon Age II, The Old Republic and of course the Mass Effect 3 ending debacle. It wasn't just one game, people were fully supporting Bioware after DAII and even TOR, ME3 was just the final straw in a line of disappointments.

Likewise for Akamatsu, his reputation has taken a hit due to the abysmal ending of Negima, but it's only one event, not enough for him to be completely blacklisted.
Old 2013-04-15, 12:38   Link #8625
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Likewise for Akamatsu, his reputation has taken a hit due to the abysmal ending of Negima, but it's only one event, not enough for him to be completely blacklisted.
It all will depend on how he starts his next series, especially on catching the fancy of the new Japanese readers (older hardcore Japanese otakus are very forgiving as long as you toss them some T&A, love pillows and a crappy video-game tie-in). The majority of the teen audience Shonen magazines aim to isn't particularly concerned with the authors' prior reputation, which is both good (when you have flopped in the past) and bad (when you want to bank on your good name- All the success of Takahashi Rumiko's works still hasn't made Rinn-e more than a series with so-so public recognition that doesn't even have an anime yet).

However, the Akamatsu who will start the next series is probably closer to the tired-of-his-job, rather-be-editing Akamatsu that couldn't be bothered to write a half decent end for Negima than to the man he was at the top of his game.
Old 2013-08-15, 10:55   Link #8626
Sakura_Tsuki

I just read on anime news network that Ken Akamatsu will begin serializing his new manga series titled Uo Holder in the 39th issue of Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine.

This means no continuation of Negima . I am a big fan of Ken Akamtsu and i am a bit disappointed. Well let us see what this new manga is like. It will be out on 28 of august. I hope it will be a great manga like Love Hina and Negima.
Sakura_Tsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 02:51   Link #8627
AstroNerdBoy

One can only hope that the new manga is good like Love Hina or Negima. I'm still hoping for some sort of publication to fill in the gaps left by Negima.
Old 2013-08-17, 03:27   Link #8628
azziz

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
One can only hope that the new manga is good like Love Hina or Negima. I'm still hoping for some sort of publication to fill in the gaps left by Negima.
so do i,to my taste,love hina was mediocre;only negima(after vol.3)impressed me:i particularly liked the original use of latin and ancient grec for spell.
the magic system was,to my humble opinion,one of the best devised among all fantasy story,no just manga.
but i don't vexpect much of his next work:after all,no only is he L.H. author,but the lazy way he concluded negima betray his weakness.
azziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 09:19   Link #8629
Sakura_Tsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
so do i,to my taste,love hina was mediocre;only negima(after vol.3)impressed me:i particularly liked the original use of latin and ancient grec for spell.
the magic system was,to my humble opinion,one of the best devised among all fantasy story,no just manga.
but i don't vexpect much of his next work:after all,no only is he L.H. author,but the lazy way he concluded negima betray his weakness.
Before we can conclude that. Let us first see what his new work is like. Negima ending was the worst ever I agree and I also want a continuation very bad. But you also have to consider that Ken akamtsu at that time had different problems etc. And think about the child law he was fighting and other things. Some people are saying because of that he ended it that way. here is a link for you:

Spoiler for Child law:

So before I make that judgment about his new work. I want to see his new work first. Maybe I am too optimistic but I do rather Judge his work first after reading it and not because Negima had an epic fail ending.
Old 2013-08-17, 11:18   Link #8630
chaosprophet

More news about his new manga from ANN:

Quote:
The "near-future battle fantasy" series(...)

In the decade since the world became aware of the existence of magic, the world has undergone massive upheaval. However, a boy named Tōta lives in seclusion in a rural town far removed from these changes. His ordinary life is highlighted by his magic-using female teacher and his supportive friends. However, when his tranquil daily life is disrupted, he embarks a unique adventure.
... You know this may actually be in the Negima universe... didn't Negi reveals magic to the world a bit later in the future of the manga as part of his plan?
Old 2013-08-17, 11:40   Link #8631
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Yes! That means we get to see the Negima cast again!
Old 2013-08-17, 11:44   Link #8632
shadow1296

if thats the case then Tota might be connected to negi in some way, either by being his kid/descendant or through his teacher being one of negi's students or both
Old 2013-08-17, 12:14   Link #8633
Sakura_Tsuki

Yes, I'm more excited now. If there is a connection between negi and this boy. Then we will get the answers we want for sure.

EDIT: Damn can't wait anymore, just saw this article on ANN. I hope Ken Akamtsu does something big with this manga. If there is a connection with Negima, then definitely it will have some answers for us. That is why I don't like to Judge Ken Akamatsu his new manga only because of Negima ending (without seeing the new manga first).
Old 2013-08-17, 12:28   Link #8634
Von Himmel
やっはろーヽ(*∀`)ノ

It's highly possible that they're connected with this. Guess we're going to see the future Negi students in it.

Also if it's really connected with Negima then I think it's good that we can see different perspective on the change of the world from different person

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 13:41   Link #8635
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I was wondering when KA-sensei was going to start his next series... after what happened with Negima (truth be told, I have never bothered to read the ending because o9f how abysmal the ending is), but I know there were certain circumstances surrounding what happened there as well

And it will be interesting to see just how this series will tie in with Negima, as you guys are hinting.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 13:44   Link #8636
chaosprophet

Now if it's connected, another question is at which part will it happens. Ken did say that the last two chapters timeskip was just one possibility (considering the universe of the story does deal with parallel universes as we see with Chao near the end.

Considering the learning about magic would likely be because of Negi's plan, then at least up to Asuna being sent to the future would be the past of this story. Now it may be an universe where Asuna never got back thought time travel, it may be one where she got back through travel but the timeskip didn't happen as we were shown, or may follow all the way to last chapter.
Old 2013-08-17, 13:48   Link #8637
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Can someone explain to me what made Negima ending so bad?

Other than that glasses girl whose ending I found a bit sad since she was clearly the most clever girl in the whole group yet became some recluse after her adventures, the ending is mostly ok.

I also like the fact Negi kept his vow as a teacher and as far as I can tell, isn't dating one of his students.

So what gives?
Old 2013-08-17, 13:52   Link #8638
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Can someone explain to me what made Negima ending so bad?

Other than that glasses girl whose ending I found a bit sad since she was clearly the most clever girl in the whole group yet became some recluse after her adventures, the ending is mostly ok.

I also like the fact Negi kept his vow as a teacher and as far as I can tell, isn't dating one of his students.

So what gives?
because none of the major plot lines were resolve.
1. what happen to Asuka
2. how was Nagi rescue
3. the unification of the Mars and Earth
4. the Senators who sent the demons to attack Negi.
5. there is a teaser with the demon world but we never got to see it.
6. who is the Negi in love with.
Old 2013-08-17, 13:57   Link #8639
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I'm sure you'll find the answer if you go back many pages, but to save you time... IIRC, these are the main complaints:

First and foremost, unlike all his other works, Negima! did not have what you would call a true ending- there were literally dozens of plotlines left open, something that KA was known to in general never let happen. Then after that, since we all knew that Chao was a descendant, she also revealed that she was a descendant from an alternative timeline. Few authors can handle time travel very well, and in the end, KA showed he is also one of those who can't handle it well... basically a way to dodge the question of who negi ends up with in the end

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 14:05   Link #8640
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
magic-using female teacher
speculations on who the teacher is?

Tags
action, fantasy