AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-08-20, 12:53   Link #41
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!

The last time I pondered about death was in a porta-shitter at the Haditha Dam, during which some asshats decided to lob some mortars at us.

My only thoughts were "Well, this would a pretty shitty way to go(pun intended ), and "I don't give a * * * *, I gotta get up in 4 hours, and I'm going to finish taking my shit!"

Not very philosophical, I know
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 13:04   Link #42
EscapeReality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Still NATO (No Action, Talk Only). What good is talk and thought but no action?

Usage of the words shows about your current train of thought :

Trying : To make an effort to do or accomplish
To be able : Having sufficient power or resources to accomplish something

So you are making an effort to have power to come to terms with death? How do you acquire power to come to terms with death? What resources to you need to come to terms with something that unpredictable and one-chance?

That is the huge hole in your logic, and it is the lack of knowledge, then even worse, the methods to acquire the necessary knowledge. It is simply a hovering idle thought at playing philosopher - a frightful waste of time more than that of having an obliviousness to death.

Concepts are best approached with King Henry and his six wives. Have you ever asked, "What is death?", and the questions thereafter?
So the only way of accepting death is to put oneself in mortal danger? In that case, few people have done so.

I disagree with the fact that one must be familiar with death in order to embrace it. Being familiar with death (e.g. by engaging in near-death experiences) certainly removes some of its stigma, which would faciltiate acceptance, but it is not required. Acceptance means (for me) to internalize the inevitability of death and to live accordingly, with a clear life purpose based on that internalization. Can one not do that without a near-death experience? Familiarity and acceptance do not imply each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Can you be sure at this very point? Steady states only occur in closed systems.
The amount of escaping is negligible. Oxygen molecules are too bound by gravity to escape Earth's atmosphere. I don't think we live life to such an efficiency that the amount of air we breathe should be a concern.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosph...esses_on_Earth

Last edited by EscapeReality; 2013-08-20 at 14:34. Reason: More stuff to change and add
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 15:28   Link #43
Kreceir
♥~Likes to post Fan art~♥

I was once to the point about thinking about ending my own life, that was 3 years ago.

This may sound Cliché, but it all started when I was in school when I was 12-13 year old.

I was getting Bullied cause I was the typical quiet guy and only said things in the classroom if it was needed.
In the lunch break if I wasn't with my friends I would get singled out and just be the point of there frustration.
So I was quite afraid to go to school

(Blood related to my Mom, My dad wasn't biological)
My Mom and Dad were both working and my little sister was at the baby sitters house, so I was usually always alone in my home till like 20:00.

And they would always scream to each other cause our house was like Dirty as heck, the plates with rest over food still in the living room that was like 2 weeks expired.

They would throw plates, pillows,cups to each other.
I was once hit by a shard flying of the wall in my back, had to go visit the doctor and I had to tell him that it was a accident, or else I would get punishment.
in other words, I had no place that I would feel safe, I was always scared.
And yes, my Mom Drinks alcohol she usually vented her frustrations on me, I got hit by a Wooden spoon - a belt and once a Cigarette pushed on my arm.

And then my Mom wouldn't come home at all for like straight 2 weeks, so my Dad was quite suspicious, and because she wasn't home and my Dad was only home at like 20:00, the laundry and the dishes were only done till my dad was free every Sunday.

When it was my 15th Birthday, I was at home. All alone, and then suddenly my mom comes home.

After she packed her clothes and stuff she gave me 50 Euro and said ''Goodbye'' After that, to this day, I didn't see her again.

My dad came home, so I told him what happened.
He was quite furious.

my dad still tried to get me to school, until I got a Panic attack and called my dad, I was confused, Didn't know where I was and I was crying and scared, after that I didn't have to go to school any more.

I don't know what its called in English but, My dad got contacted by Youth Care.

We had to go to the court and stuff,
They tried to get me out of the household into a new family, my Dad did absolute everything to prevent that.
(I'm still very thankful what my Dad did)

Age 16, the forced me to go into a Psychological Hospital.
The said my Mental state was rather not ''Normal''
Had to spend in total, 1 year and 5 months, and it wasn't the best time I ever had.

Monday till Friday 13:00 then people with so called ''Freedom'' can go home in the weekends.

Because my dad didn't have the time to pick me up, He asked his friend to pick me up and drop me off at my house.

Because I wasn't suicidal in the house I was the only one with the ''Unlimited Freedom''

If I wanted to go outside, I had to ask one of the Caretakers to open up the door.

Had the share this ''House'' with 7 other people.

The 1 year I spend in the hospital, did my really good, I had quite positive thoughts and it really helped me out.
Mentally and physically.
The last 5 months Everything turned upside down.

My Grandma died of cancer, after attending her funeral I had 1 week time to stay at home and grieve.

My dad brought me back, and said to me just to try my best.
The Week passed, and my dad friend was about to pick me up.

I was waiting at the door, and peeking outside I saw him almost stumble over, after he reached the door he had a small talk with 1 of the care takers.

After I picked up my luggage he told me this, ''Sorry this is the last time I will pick you up, I'm diagnosed with Brain Cancer''

After that my Mental state was just a mess, I tried cutting my veins, hang my self etc, Every time a Care taker caught me doing it.

After my dad heard about it, he came to my room, in tears and just asked one question, ''Why?''
My answer to that was ''I don't know why, I was have the feeling to die and be done with this life, I can't take it any more.''

Then he said,
''Your not alone, what about me and your little sister, You two are the only ones I have left after your piece of shit mother abandoned you, I did my god damn best to have you stay in my household enough though I'm not your real Father, Because your MY son that I have and always will have''

Because of my actions I had to stay an extra 4 months in the hospital.

My Dad is the sole Reason why I'm still alive.
He sold his old house and moved to a new house that we are currently living in.

Sorry for my English, and quite the lengthy post.
and if you are reading it, and some sentence doesn't make sense, then its me most likely not able to remember it correctly.
Old 2013-08-20, 20:19   Link #44
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

It's not death itself you should fear, it's the way to death. If you ever have someone close to you(grandparents, parents or sibling) that suffer from debilitating diseases such as alzheimer, or stroke-induced total paralysis, then you might understand that sometimes living in such condition might actually be harder than death.

I personally never thought death as something to fear,because I've always tried to live my life to the fullest so I won't have any regret whenever I have to go(fortunately, my personal situation and environment enables me to live such life), but when one day one of my relative suffers from alzheimer, whenever I saw him, I somehow always reminded that it's such life that is to be feared, not the death itself.

Last edited by kuroishinigami; 2013-08-20 at 20:30.
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 20:52   Link #45
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Then we all return to our first question: What is a worthy and pleasure death? A quick one? Death for you country and idea? Die knowing that you've lived to the fullest?...

Also, death is the best way to judge people. If the person die regretlessly, and people bother to shed crystal tear for the death, it mean that person has spread the goodness inside them to the world. And Vice Versa.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 21:17   Link #46
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Existential angst is so much fun!
I don't see why people are calling thoughts of death "angst." Angst implies that you're worried or anxious about something. People can ponder death without feeling dread or anxiety, particularly if they're not facing death in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreceir View Post
I was once to the point about thinking about ending my own life, that was 3 years ago.
Sorry for my English, and quite the lengthy post.
and if you are reading it, and some sentence doesn't make sense, then its me most likely not able to remember it correctly.
I read it. That is quite the story. It sounds like you've been through quite a bit of suffering and trauma, both physically and emotionally. For what you have endured, I think that you are a very strong person. I sincerely hope that you have much better days ahead of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Then we all return to our first question: What is a worthy and pleasure death? A quick one? Death for you country and idea? Die knowing that you've lived to the fullest?...
Dying on your own terms, I suppose. We had one patient - a young woman in her 20's - who was dying, and there was nothing that we could do to save her. The only thing that we could do for her would be to take away the pain, but she refused. I don't know the reason why, but she wanted to experience the full pain of her dying process. She left the world too early, but she did it with as much control as fate granted her.

Yes, I've thought about death. I don't remember when it started, but I thought about death long before I entered the medical profession. My thoughts of death weren't related so much to wondering about what happens afterward, or to wondering what the specifics will be (what disease, how much suffering, and so on). I just wondered how it would feel, to be sitting at home or lying in a hospital bed, knowing that the remaining time in my life was likely measured in weeks or months, rather than years. Would I feel happiness as I looked back on my life? Would I feel fulfilled? Or would I have regrets?

Thinking about the end was a way for me to ground my life, to recognize what was important and what was not. Like many here (internet forums), I often feel inhibited. I don't take risks or "put myself out there." I also get bothered by things that seem like a big deal, but that really aren't. Considering the end is a bit of a motivator to take those risks, and to ignore the small things.

But simply thinking about it isn't enough. I suspect that you need to experience it in order for the end to have a profound impact on your life, and to change your views.

It's too bad that we can't live life forward, and then in reverse.
Old 2013-08-20, 21:51   Link #47
Qilin
Romanticist

In the first place, I do wonder if fear of death really is instinctual, that is to say something other than an extension of one's instinctual aversion to the pain that often associates it? Perhaps fear of death is rather more cognitive or affective in nature?

Death has always been both a fascinating and strange topic for me because I don't feel much about it. If I die, I take away any feelings I may have along with it. I won't even be able to react to it. I can't even be aware of it since my ego dissipates along with it. As a result, even worrying about its consequences is meaningless. I mean, what's the point of worrying about something I can't even experience? Hence, I tend to take an indifferent stance towards the whole thing.

My policy is to live as brightly and authentically as I possibly can then quietly fade into oblivion.
Old 2013-08-20, 22:56   Link #48
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

I used to think Death was this big, scary monster who ended your life but eventually learned it was also a way to end your pain. That said, I don't think about it often but when I do I always wonder about what happens after the fact assuming anything happens at all. Am I reborn? Do I exist the way I was at death? Am I at my prime? Is there nothing? Do I attend a high school that serves mapu tofu?

And yes, that cross-out made light of topic. But sometimes humor is all you can do to stave off the fear and my biggest fear about Death is the inevitable time the people close to me will die. It's going to suck. Then it won't. Then it sucks again. The most I hope for is the dying process to be quick and painless for myself and those I care about.
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 23:15   Link #49
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I don't see why people are calling thoughts of death "angst." Angst implies that you're worried or anxious about something. People can ponder death without feeling dread or anxiety, particularly if they're not facing death in the near future.
Yea, seriously. Practically every living thing tries to avoid death, thus it's rooted in the most powerful instinct.

And it's certainly something as you said later on your post to have it under your terms as much as possible, to at least wrest some control over your existence.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 23:56   Link #50
SummeryDreams

I'm rather not that concern with my own death, but a death of a loved family member or friends. That's way more tragic I guess than dying yourself. Atleast, for myself this is the case.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 00:10   Link #51
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, I guess Metaphysic will always have a place in people's mind and heart, simply because no one know what lies beyond death.

Also, which aspect of death scares you most? The unknown void? The regretful of not doing your best? The aloness of losing a beloved?
Old 2013-08-21, 00:11   Link #52
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

On this topic, the only thing I will leave here is a quote from a personal hero of mine. Some may think this is a cop-out, a lazy way of expressing my thoughts on the matter; but to me, I think of it as an act of humility, a reminder to myself that I still have a long way to go, in my command of the language, as well as another that I have yet to consider such an existential matter as deeply as I possibly could.

“Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.” - Christopher Hitchens, 1949-2011
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 01:11   Link #53
Lota

Ooooh, fun topic Emmm... Not so scared of death per se, and I don't actually think about that topic too much. Death is death. When it comes, you're gone. My first real experience with death was when I was 7 and my grandma died, and then I knew she wasn't coming back. Then I came to terms with my mortality. Now, thinking calmly, I'm not scared of death, though, who knows, on my deathbed maybe I will be.

The thought of my parents dying, however, really scares me. I hope that doesn't happen in a long looooong time. I also hope I don't die before my parents. No parent should bury their child.

Nope, death I'll somehow get over, I'm more scared of surviving life. Ugh... Life. Meaning. Existentialism. That scares the crap out of me. Ok, maybe I'm not as scared as I just don't like thinking about it. When I think about it too much I get all depressed, so lately when I feel this subject hanging over my head I just try to distract myself. So far so good

So, people, live your life the best way you can, don't be scared of death, but also don't wait for it, don't think too much about existential topics and you'll be happy. Probably.

Last edited by Lota; 2013-08-21 at 01:24.
Lota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 04:30   Link #54
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
After a few close encounters with death (stemming from my own stupidity), I just live my life out to the fullest without worrying about dying, because it's going to come anyways. Nothing to be scared about death itself; it's the slow process (for example, disease) to death that makes people fill up with regrets and sadness about their past.

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 06:03   Link #55
Masuzu
« ヒーロー »
*Author

I guess the one time I maybe could've died was a heart attack when I was 14.

On my way to the emergency, aside from the pain, there was a sense of relief.

To this day, I'm still not sure if I'm disappointed it didn't end there.
Old 2013-08-21, 08:19   Link #56
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

But what is "Living your life to the Fullest"?
Old 2013-08-21, 09:14   Link #57
EscapeReality

Quote:
Also, which aspect of death scares you most?
Probably the loss of a close one. It's the only one I can fully experience.
Quote:
The unknown void?
I don't believe in an afterlife, so the idea of vanishing forever and losing one's identity and memories permanently is quite awe-inspiring. I don't actively fear it though. That would be like a fear of going into a dreamless sleep. As someone pointed out earlier, I can't experience death.
Quote:
The regretful of not doing your best?
I'll try to not make that a problem, so I plan to live life to the fullest starting today.
Quote:
But what is "Living your life to the Fullest"?
It's defined by each person individually. Just follow your passions and your conscience, but also learn to move on from problems. That's how I would define it.

Last edited by EscapeReality; 2013-08-21 at 09:17. Reason: Forgot to Respond to Someone
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 09:15   Link #58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMRrCYPxD0I

- was quite an inspirational video with some interesting perspectives on death. I disagree with some aspects of the video but it does offer some serenity.
340.29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
death, existentialism