AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-10, 19:30   Link #1461
DuelGundam2099
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I started watching this series a week ago and managed to catch up to episode 17 a couple hours ago. I am about to give ep 18 a watch, but before I do I might as well share my thoughts so far:

Good:
-I like the titans themselves, very neat monsters
-Very pretty looking scenery
-The action (when it actually happens) is not half bad
-The mystery surrounding Eren's basement/origins is well done
-The setting is very well detailed

Bad:
-I did not care for the first quarter of the series or the music (contrary to popular opinion)
-The character designs really throw me off
-It kind of irked me that only Mikasa could slay titans for the first third of the series
-None of the characters are interesting
-Too many flashbacks in the first half
-Not toward the series itself but wow are the potato jokes unnecessary

So yeah, not seeing the hype, but I'll keep watching regardless.
__________________

I will return one day, I promise that much.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-10, 19:44   Link #1462
Iron Maw
Devil Buster
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Note that this was taken during the first day, which easily reached 40 as early as 9AM with 50-60% humidity. Adding the fact they are all volonteer, they deserve a brofist.
Agreed, I didn't think SnK would have that much of a presence there since slots for Comiket would most llikely be booked.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 00:36   Link #1463
Iron Maw
Devil Buster
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
For those interested, Pixiv is having an art contest and its open to intentional users too.

Entry and prize details here:
http://www.pixiv.net/info.php?id=1788
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 14:13   Link #1464
ANM789
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Something bugs me: Why they don't wear any armor AT ALL?
Since the military isn't fighting against anyone who can use guns, but just a bunch of giant naked people that cant thrown them away very easily (on walls, on roofs, on trees, on the ground)... An armor wouldn't help? I know they are supposed to be light and skinny, but I'm not talking about any medieval heavy full plate armor, just something more impact-absorving and resistant than a cotton shirt and a denim jacket (and a poncho cloak). Afterwards, an armored - let's say - Levi would still be lighter than Reiner is and still able to hand the 3d maneuver gear.

Pretty sure someone already pointed that out, but I can't find it with the search

Last edited by ANM789; 2013-08-14 at 22:09.
ANM789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 16:28   Link #1465
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
If a titan catches you, you're pretty much dead. Sure, there are exceptions, like Eren or Reiner, but not enough to matter. Mobility's their only defense, and an armor would interfere with that, and wouldn't protect them against almost anything the titans are going to do. Not so much because of the weight, but because it would restrict their movements.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 16:29   Link #1466
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
If a giant smashes you against a wall or eats you, the armor will most likely NOT help though...

Also it is not just about speed, but also about flexibility. Armor may not make you slower, but complicated 3DMG moves would become very hard or even impossible, because the mobility is lower.


EDIT: Ninja'ed
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 18:42   Link #1467
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Well the only thing that would be useful is some kind of protection to the knees, elbows and head, and not as a defense against titans but as a way to reduce possible damages from falling and smashing against walls and obstacle (which would be a serious threat considering all those 3D gear maneuvers).

We have actually seen already Armin and Eren suffering concussions to their heads and that could have been prevented if they wore a helmet, but I guess that the mortality rate is so high that they probably thought it was better to leave the soldiers as much as light weight as possible, because if someone gets hit 99% of cases he is dead already.

Or more simply the author didn't want to draw them with helmets, because they are cooler that way.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 20:51   Link #1468
ANM789
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well the only thing that would be useful is some kind of protection to the knees, elbows and head, and not as a defense against titans but as a way to reduce possible damages from falling and smashing against walls and obstacle (which would be a serious threat considering all those 3D gear maneuvers).
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Or more simply the author didn't want to draw them with helmets, because they are cooler that way.
Well, considering the already "problematic" character design in the manga, it sure is a better decision to give the character an unique hairstyle each.
And they would look like a bunch of Quidditch/Polo players with a leather armor and helmets
ANM789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 05:45   Link #1469
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
We have actually seen already Armin and Eren suffering concussions to their heads and that could have been prevented if they wore a helmet, but I guess that the mortality rate is so high that they probably thought it was better to leave the soldiers as much as light weight as possible, because if someone gets hit 99% of cases he is dead already.
They probably also don't want to diminish peripheral vision. It's pretty important to see a titan before he sees you.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-14, 10:12   Link #1470
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They probably also don't want to diminish peripheral vision. It's pretty important to see a titan before he sees you.
Yeah I thought about that too, but there are helmets that do not limit that

Then again even in the real world I keep wondering why skaters and cyclists wear protections (at least some do) but parkour practitioners do not, even though logically they should need those even more.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 12:30   Link #1471
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Yeah I thought about that too, but there are helmets that do not limit that
Don't forget that this show takes place in Medieval times. They probably didn't have helmets like that back then, even if they wanted them.

Quote:
Then again even in the real world I keep wondering why skaters and cyclists wear protections (at least some do) but parkour practitioners do not, even though logically they should need those even more.
Probably because they weigh them down. Professional cyclists are built for speed and in a tournament every gram counts. While protection would benefit them in case of a crash or fall, it also slows them down. Also, it can get mighty hot underneath a helmet on a bright and sunny day, making wearing one a very unpleasant experience.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 14:50   Link #1472
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Probably because they weigh them down. Professional cyclists are built for speed and in a tournament every gram counts.
Professional cyclists wear helmets.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 21:52   Link #1473
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Don't forget that this show takes place in Medieval times. They probably didn't have helmets like that back then, even if they wanted them.
Medieval? I thought this was a dystopian speculative-future time period...I mean the principle behind the 3D gear are more 100 years from now than 500 years ago...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 21:58   Link #1474
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Medieval? I thought this was a dystopian speculative-future time period...I mean the principle behind the 3D gear are more 100 years from now than 500 years ago...
I'd say the only thing that really advanced is the unbelievable high compression of gas they can perform. Aside from that most mechanics were already present a few hundred years ago from our present day 2013 real world. It was just a matter of putting it all together.

Example:
In the ancient time of the Romans, someone was VERY close to creating a steam engine. He basically knew most of the principles behind it, but he simply didn't put them together at the end, which caused it to be delayed for another 2000 years.
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 23:42   Link #1475
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
^I'm not really buying it though...

I think the fact that Misaka's mom was basically the last known Asian woman on earth, Eren's father and the Pandora's box that is the genetic manipulation/science behind the Titans, and religious ethos surrounding the walls speaks to an age that has run its course and then something post-apocalyptic takes place or shape creating the dystopian mishmash we see right now...

I know there is certainly enough speculated history to say the scientist, alchemists, Egyptians doctors, if not wizards themselves existed in the past and could conceivable be tangent reasoning in a context where this is actually the progression to what is now a medieval world, but the genetic aspect concerning the titans is post modern IMO...

The 3D gear (which is sooo much more than just a grappling device) is also something that screams "lost tech" in the face of what is so much primitive engineering on a world level...Which is to say,...

...Titans are of the future...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 23:06   Link #1476
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Though if this isn't Earth the point is moot, since technological progress doesn't necessarily need to follow a precise path with preset checkpoints.

Using the same logic you should conclude that steampunk settings are in a future after the loss of digital technology, which in most cases isn't true.


BTW where did you get the genetic bit?
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 00:01   Link #1477
lateraldeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
I started watching this series a week ago and managed to catch up to episode 17 a couple hours ago. I am about to give ep 18 a watch, but before I do I might as well share my thoughts so far:

Good:
-I like the titans themselves, very neat monsters
-Very pretty looking scenery
-The action (when it actually happens) is not half bad
-The mystery surrounding Eren's basement/origins is well done
-The setting is very well detailed

Bad:
-I did not care for the first quarter of the series or the music (contrary to popular opinion)
-The character designs really throw me off
-It kind of irked me that only Mikasa could slay titans for the first third of the series
-None of the characters are interesting
-Too many flashbacks in the first half
-Not toward the series itself but wow are the potato jokes unnecessary

So yeah, not seeing the hype, but I'll keep watching regardless.
Your opinion doesn't surprise me. You get to see just about everything that happened so far in the anime at once. So the points that we go oo and aa on, the cliffhangers, the discussions we have, none of that really mean much to you. We are sorta forced to take each chapter in as we wait a week for the next ep while you just let each ep wash over you while moving onto the next ep. It's a natural reaction that I've seen a lot in anime for people who watched something all at once vs the ppl that talk about this in each week's discussion posts.
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 06:08   Link #1478
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Attack on Titan TV and Blu-Ray Comparison

Not only did the DVD/BD fixed some of the animation errors from the TV airing but got rid some of the still shots. Funnily, Eren looks more handsome in the TV version.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 08:58   Link #1479
desrtsku
Kyaaaa!!!!
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Himelda Window Cure Queen Of The Blue Sky's palace.
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Funnily, Eren looks more handsome in the TV version.
No, he sincerely looked horrible and out of model.
__________________
desrtsku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 18:25   Link #1480
Veviticus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
I wouldn't say it all looks horrible. Definately out of model.

Bishounen Eren
__________________
Veviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.