AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-29, 16:04   Link #101
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm still baffled some people still accuse Japanese regarding this fiasco despite there was so many issues with the event to begin with.

On another note, sales for LWA1 isn't really that good to begin with. A trusted source of mine ordered his copy this monday and he got number 801. That's hardly as hyped as back with the kickstarter momentum for LWA2.
Isn't it mostly backed by foreigners?
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 16:35   Link #102
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Pretty much, and even so, there wasn't really any of them buying the BR either.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 22:39   Link #103
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
I know Japan generally has shit taste, but I wonder if the main reason they don't like this is because we like it....
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 03:01   Link #104
Kimidori
Let's Play
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 19
there no such thing as shit taste, nothing can really make your taste superior to others.
__________________
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 09:14   Link #105
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
We'll have to agree to disagree on that.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 09:21   Link #106
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I know Japan generally has shit taste, but I wonder if the main reason they don't like this is because we like it....
Have your facts straight:
1) the information I have mentioned so far concern the -OVERSEAS- sales for LWA1, which is not fantastic by any means. So besides the hype of the kickstarter project, it isn't like LWA as a whole attract many people's support otherwise they would have bought LWA1 as well.

2) Points are already made regarding the cancelled panel: the organizers made too many critical mistakes to have a successful event in Japan. In fact, it is a miracle they could sell 93 seats, despite they had every odds against them.

3) Even if LWA executive commitee pretended they didn't want to discriminate japanese or western fan, they literally screwed the PR in Japan: barely no one knew about the kickstarter project in Japan, because there wasn't any ad there.
That's the reason why the vast majority of the backers are westerners, because the producers banked everything on the PR moves for the western market, due to the nature of kickstarter.

If you were to check japanese blogs properly, you would have realized that Japanese fans were actually confused/not in touch with LWA2 at all, plainly because they were left out. The same can be said for the event, because the producers screw the timing big time.

That said, some japanese are being annoyed by all of this PR move as well, exactly because a lot of western fans are pretending they are "the real fans" by being flashy in their support, despite the whole point of funding a project is to see the very project into fruition, not just parading everywhere saying you did for the greater good.
It is the insult to the injury, when Japanese fans are the main reason the anime industry is still alive because they buy DVD/BR at full price, unlike western consummers. Furthermore, a minor group of them are also concerned that projects like this will incite producers to take the same path, which might lead to similar issues like for LWA, but also the fact anime might be more "western like" which isn't always welcome (and doesn't make sense since anime is, by definition, japanese so heh).

I find that particularly childish to pretend "japanese have shit taste" when it was a failed PR decision to begin with, and a flawed approach for the JP fans by doing all of this.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-08-30 at 09:38.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 11:13   Link #107
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Have your facts straight:
1) the information I have mentioned so far concern the -OVERSEAS- sales for LWA1, which is not fantastic by any means. So besides the hype of the kickstarter project, it isn't like LWA as a whole attract many people's support otherwise they would have bought LWA1 as well.
Now I agree with all your other points but you can't just ignore the kickstarter project,people wanted to see more of LWA and paid for it, it's not the same as BD sales but it has the same effect.

In a way you could say there've already got a bit over 5000 BD preorders for Little Witch Academia 2 even before starting production on it.

I know that's not massive but far from a flop.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 11:36   Link #108
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
I'm rather baffled that people want to watch "more of it", yet doesn't really follow their support with the original LWA that they liked.
It isn't like the kickstarter project was a flop, considering it managed to break through the goal the producers have set, but at the same time, it is just quite the irony that only the kickstarter project generated the hype, whereas the original animation is not even on the manabi line, in term of oversea sales.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 12:06   Link #109
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
6000 yen + 2000 yen shipping for one episode is kinda.... Expensive for most people.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 12:12   Link #110
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
I did consider this point as well. Needless to say, it is exactly because of that I found amusing some people blaming japanese despite the latter had to spend that much all the time, while it is hardly the case for the former.
That being said, Trigger messed up big time with that 2K flat rate. I can understand for a figure, but this shipping rate for a mere BD is more or less a rip off.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 12:46   Link #111
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That said, some japanese are being annoyed by all of this PR move as well, exactly because a lot of western fans are pretending they are "the real fans" by being flashy in their support
This just seems like a flimsy excuse to justify their attitude. Anyway, this answers my question, and I see I was right to some extent. Thanks.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 12:50   Link #112
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
This just seems like a flimsy excuse to justify their attitude. Anyway, this answers my question, and I see I was right to some extent. Thanks.
Arguably not. The very problem was LWA producers didn't even bother promoting the series in Japan.
Hell, some even admitted in an interview the concept of kickstarter was alien to them until it was presented to them.

Japanese had no way to find out about the kickstarter project beforehand, and the lack of japanese language support for that, and the incompetence of the production commitee regarding this are the core issue. The project barely was mentioned in japanese board when the goal was reached for LWA2, and afterwards there was still not even any move from them to reach the japanese community. Heck, even kickheart had some guidelines in japanese. But LWA2? No.
And with the damn event being awkwardly planned, it is obvious it was the production commitee fault there (announced in Japan through their twitter account only (2 tweets in english, 2 in japanese), on weekday, 11PM - 1M, the day before animelo)

And frankly, from what I can see from several board, the whole feud started by the westerner to begin with, with the weird assumption the Japanese didn't care about the series, while they just didn't know about it.
So de facto, it has -nothing- to do with whoever has the better taste or the fact the westerner liked it "more" (and if you read my post properly, it was a minor part of the community that was pissed off. The rest was just ignorant or disappointed they weren't told proper information).
That's a childish straw man no matter how you look at it.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2013-08-30 at 13:12.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 13:52   Link #113
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm rather baffled that people want to watch "more of it", yet doesn't really follow their support with the original LWA that they liked.
The thing is since the BD is coming out after the kickstarter there's no real need to show support,they already know a new OVA is coming.

Also while it is below the manabi line we have no real other anime released at such prices in the west to compare it with, Aniplex of America doesn't disclose sales figure as far as I know so we while it's doing poorly by japanese standards there's no way of knowing how well it's doing by western standards.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Anyway, this answers my question, and I see I was right to some extent. Thanks.
still,the majority of japanese audience "don't like it" because they don't even know it exists not because of anything to do with the west liking it.That's just some people on 2ch, taking them seriously is like taking /a/ seriously when they start threads saying "anime was saved" when LWA reached its goal.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 14:41   Link #114
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm rather baffled that people want to watch "more of it", yet doesn't really follow their support with the original LWA that they liked.
Why order an over-priced disc from Japan with even more over-priced shipping costs when we can wait for the American release?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 15:12   Link #115
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The thing is since the BD is coming out after the kickstarter there's no real need to show support,they already know a new OVA is coming.

Also while it is below the manabi line we have no real other anime released at such prices in the west to compare it with, Aniplex of America doesn't disclose sales figure as far as I know so we while it's doing poorly by japanese standards there's no way of knowing how well it's doing by western standards.
The problem is that the actual release for LWA1 doesn't have a region specific market model. In fact, the western market and japanese market are buying the exactly same copy, unlike your usual licensed series in the west.

That being said, it isn't like producers are in need of active support considering Anime Mirai subventions given directly from the government. However, I'm pretty sure that the low sales won't be a positive factor for the producers, leading to more reliance on kickstarter than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Why order an over-priced disc from Japan with even more over-priced shipping costs when we can wait for the American release?
Because the over-priced disc from Japan is the very same one you get for the so called "american release".
If you check acttil's LWA page you will find out they will redirect you to Trigger's LWA site.

LWA1 BR release is a single worldwide release. There isn't any Japanese release nor American release. That's why trigger's site is called "Trigger Global Shop". You pretty much have only 1 option there.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 19:01   Link #116
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I did consider this point as well. Needless to say, it is exactly because of that I found amusing some people blaming japanese despite the latter had to spend that much all the time, while it is hardly the case for the former.
That being said, Trigger messed up big time with that 2K flat rate. I can understand for a figure, but this shipping rate for a mere BD is more or less a rip off.
I was one of the people who believed that Japanese tastes sucks. Until I had someone translate a webpage for me (as in summarize). Besides the fact that they put a talk show before an anime con... And on 11 PM....
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 19:35   Link #117
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Europe, Belgium, Brussels
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I was one of the people who believed that Japanese tastes sucks. Until I had someone translate a webpage for me (as in summarize). Besides the fact that they put a talk show before an anime con... And on 11 PM....
Just to correct something: it isn't even a mere animecon, it is the damn Animelo.
The Animelo is an annual event that regroup tons of artist for a big marathon of anisong concerts, with big names like Mizuki Nana etc.
This year was particularly stuffed with major performers, like Chihara Minori, May'n, LiSA, Kitamura Eri, Miyano Mamoru, Tamura Yukari, Hikasa Yoko, etc.

So, Trigger has organized that event, the very day before the animelo? And that late? Like I said, it would be as insane as preparing an event right before any comiket. It is the very same caliber: hardly any hardcore fan would miss it, and since it spans for 3 days, stamina is key for that. Not only they would be tired as hell as the LWA event ends at 1AM, but they would have hard time to go home since there is no train in Tokyo after midnight. And suffice to say, since it was a thursday, only unemployed people and students would be able to attend it.

It was flat out a failure even before they started selling tickets for it.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-30, 19:49   Link #118
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Just to correct something: it isn't even a mere animecon, it is the damn Animelo.
The Animelo is an annual event that regroup tons of artist for a big marathon of anisong concerts, with big names like Mizuki Nana etc.
This year was particularly stuffed with major performers, like Chihara Minori, May'n, LiSA, Kitamura Eri, Miyano Mamoru, Tamura Yukari, Hikasa Yoko, etc.

So, Trigger has organized that event, the very day before the animelo? And that late? Like I said, it would be as insane as preparing an event right before any comiket. It is the very same caliber: hardly any hardcore fan would miss it, and since it spans for 3 days, stamina is key for that. Not only they would be tired as hell as the LWA event ends at 1AM, but they would have hard time to go home since there is no train in Tokyo after midnight. And suffice to say, since it was a thursday, only unemployed people and students would be able to attend it.

It was flat out a failure even before they started selling tickets for it.
Yep... It was like they didn't know anything about that.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 23:06   Link #119
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Why order an over-priced disc from Japan with even more over-priced shipping costs when we can wait for the American release?
Because the way it is going, shows with limited appeal might never get an American release. Because the only reason people wait is because they want a discount, and if that's what they want then there is no money to be made.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 12:17   Link #120
bastek66
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Age: 26
First teaser image of LWA2
http://animemirai.jp/exhibition/
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.