AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 45 42.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 27.36%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 11.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 11.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.94%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-11, 02:58   Link #181
Iron Maw
Devil Buster
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-kun View Post
The difference between Levi and the others is that Levi assumes the worst case scenario before making judgement, which is why he doesn't fall into FT's bait (I am assuming FT lets her nape out on purpose rather than shielding it with the tree). This is why he survives and the rest, including Mikasa, fail. To begin with he gives up killing FT to preserve his blades and gas in case FT chases back or he meets other titans on the way back. Tired FT means longer regeneration time and more time for him to escape. He cuts FT excessively before even going for her mouth.

I think Mikasa has a long way to go, not because she's not skilled or experienced, but because Levi's survivor mentality is not something someone can just learn. Some people are naturally more reckless and some people are more careful.
I think she baits too, hell that's more or less she killed Levi's Squad. I agree on Mikasa, one can't forget that this is the trainees first official mission and against a completely abnormal enemy off the bat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Such assumptions are exactly what it costed them dearly in this situation:
Erwin's plan was flawed from the very premise that human piloting titans would be on the same foothold as Eren's. It was proven wrong from the fact the one behind FT could evade them even though she got captured at some point.
Like I mentioned, Levi doesn't have unlimited gas nor blades, so he -won't- be able to cut through FT's flesh indefinitely: the very moment he cannot move with his 3D gear, he is dead meat. And judging from Levi's stunts, he probably wouldn't last long at all (Mikasa managed to expand her gas tank during Trost battle, on a long run but arguably not pushing her gas reserve until when she went reckless after learning Eren's "death". And trust me, Levi's actions were arguably more gas heavy than any of her actions thus far).
Hell, even if he manages to defeat FT this way, the return trip will be hell since they would have to regroup with everyone else in a awkward fashion (while tons of titans are still there).
Also, making a makeshift tag team with someone like Mikasa who is solely solo with little battle experience is a very very foolish idea, especially against an unknown enemy.
To add Klashi's point, Levi was out of blades.

During the chase scene in the second half Levi looked like he was going to desperately attempt to kill the two Titans running after Dieter, but then stopped and remembered he had no blades. Considering that FT was the last battle he fought before regrouping with everyone even if Levi had been in a better condition, he wouldn't have been able to fight due to the lack of weapons.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 02:59   Link #182
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I agree. It's not as if it's not a risk to take such actions, though the FT in her current state is clearly quite vulnerable no matter what gauge is used. Between him and Mikasa, I have no doubt that they could easily kill the pilot of the already immobilized FT. Unless of course they decide to write-in some magical ability for her to ignore the massive amount of damage and fatigue she's incurred over time, and her muscles being carved out so she can't move her body.
We've known since the beginning Titans can heal. They can heal severed heads, for that matter. And if that fails, maybe she can get out of her titan body and make a brand new one.

Fatigue is an issue, but how much of an issue? At this point, risking his, Mikasa's, and Eren's life on the assumption that the FT had no further trick and was too tired for her old ones would have been foolish. It's not like she's above pretending to be worse off than she is to draw them in.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 06:32   Link #183
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Saitama, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
To add Klashi's point, Levi was out of blades.

During the chase scene in the second half Levi looked like he was going to desperately attempt to kill the two Titans running after Dieter, but then stopped and remembered he had no blades. Considering that FT was the last battle he fought before regrouping with everyone even if Levi had been in a better condition, he wouldn't have been able to fight due to the lack of weapons.
No, he wasn't, not yet.
After the capture failed, Erwin asked Levi to resupply in blades and gas. That said, Levi had already used a pair of blades during the initial strike against the FT. Suffice to say, he probably would have to change his second pair considering how much he lacerated FT all around.
The close up during the retreat portion with Dieter showing up with titans weren't because he was out of blade (arguably not, since you can see 3 blades in his gear), but because he broke his ankle.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 07:42   Link #184
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
I think the animators could have made it a bit more apparent that Levi actually did break his ankle.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 08:25   Link #185
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shame Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhyka View Post
Why was Levi surprised after realizing that it was Mikasa while they were going after the female titan? It just struck me as a bit odd, I thought he knew she was in the survey corps after seeing her call him a midget.
I think he was just emotionally unstable but reacted more when Mikasa said it was his fault what happened. She kind of had a point though considering Levi's team seriously needed its leader in the previous episode.
amaterasu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 08:57   Link #186
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I think the animators could have made it a bit more apparent that Levi actually did break his ankle.
It was obvious enough when it happened, but then they seemed to kind of forget about it and have him walk around normally.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 10:35   Link #187
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I love the viewers reaction with the tear jerker scenes.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 10:44   Link #188
Claym0re
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Levi is around 30? I knew he is older but not by so much.
I always thought Levi's squad were in their mid-late twenties (including Levi) and Petra probably in her early twenties.
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 13:26   Link #189
lateraldeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It was obvious enough when it happened, but then they seemed to kind of forget about it and have him walk around normally.
Banes of filler content I suppose, Either they don't have the time to animate him limping, or just simply forgot.

Or maybe they have to have Levi look cool and limping isn't cool :P
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 13:35   Link #190
Double_Edge
Cool Lander
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Trivia, Auruo is only 19
Is that true? That kind of ruins the appeal of the character for me. I thought he was some old guy that still acts like a hooligan/juvenile delinquent. And it would have been more interesting to learn his backstory as to why he would have joined the Recon team so late (since it is implied he joined after the jedi guy and Gunther).

**** it, he'll always be an old guy in my imagination!!

EDIT: Also, did Levi give up one of his squads' badges to make that other guy feel better by making him believe it was Ivan's? It's kind of farfetched to think that Levi was walking around collecting them from the bodies ON TOP of not getting them mixed up (it wouldn't be hard to keep track of his own teams' though). They're not like military dog tags. If Levi did give up one of his teams badges to mjake a grunt feel better, he is a true gentleman!
__________________
Signature eaten by fluffy bunnies...nom nom nom!
Double_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 13:45   Link #191
frodonk
Master of Killing Time
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The World God Only Knows
Quote:
Also, did Levi give up one of his squads' badges to make that other guy feel better by making him believe it was Ivan's? It's kind of farfetched to think that Levi was walking around collecting them from the bodies ON TOP of not getting them mixed up (it wouldn't be hard to keep track of his own teams' though). They're not like military dog tags. If Levi did give up one of his teams badges to mjake a grunt feel better, he is a true gentleman!
that badge was petra's, it was supposed to be for petra's dad.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 22:53   Link #192
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
No matter how right someone is, how much of a point they may make...they lose credibility and respect once they resort to petty things like insults. There's also the fact that you're having this kind of discussion in a place where you shouldn't...if you have a problem with someone else's post then either go to PMs or inform a mod.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:

Last edited by monir; 2013-09-12 at 01:20. Reason: Thought it would have been a waste to delete these words since I hold them in high regards!
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 01:10   Link #193
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I think the animators could have made it a bit more apparent that Levi actually did break his ankle.
Why did he break his ankle? That part wasn't clear to me. My own theory is because he was moving at such an insane speed which, in turn, was putting a lot of stress on his body. Another enigma would be how he is able to generate so much speed. No really, why is he so fast? He is using the same type of propellant with those gas tanks along with the standard issued 3D Gears, so what is he doing so differently to attain such velocity in his attacks?
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 02:50   Link #194
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Why did he break his ankle? That part wasn't clear to me.
Because he kicked the FT's punch away. And she hits hard.

Quote:
My own theory is because he was moving at such an insane speed which, in turn, was putting a lot of stress on his body. Another enigma would be how he is able to generate so much speed. No really, why is he so fast? He is using the same type of propellant with those gas tanks along with the standard issued 3D Gears, so what is he doing so differently to attain such velocity in his attacks?
Less wasted motion, less wasted momentum, I guess.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 07:21   Link #195
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
FT punches are hard and he had to push it off with hiss body. Besides I think he twisted his leg a bit.

Speed wise, back during Trost arc Mikasa also was faster because she used more gas than others what could be the case here considering that Erwin told him to re-fill.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 07:51   Link #196
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
As pointed out above, Levi did kick off FT's back-hand while going at top speeds and grabbing Mikasa. There's only so much that the human body can handle before it breaks.
However, I feel that the animators could have shown him limping or trying to balance himself after landing on just one foot or something that showed how serious his injury actually was. After it broke you rarely see any evidence of how bad it is.

As for how he's so much faster...I really wouldn't know. In the manga we don't get a much of a sense of speed compared to animation so I don't even know if this is something the truly canon or if the animators took some liberties with the speed. We do know that Levi is faster than even Mikasa (much faster as she pointed out) now...how he's so fast while using the same gear...I suppose you could chalk it up to experience and less wasted movements amongst other things.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 10:23   Link #197
Graveyard Duck
Bag Giver
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Why did he break his ankle? That part wasn't clear to me. My own theory is because he was moving at such an insane speed which, in turn, was putting a lot of stress on his body. Another enigma would be how he is able to generate so much speed. No really, why is he so fast? He is using the same type of propellant with those gas tanks along with the standard issued 3D Gears, so what is he doing so differently to attain such velocity in his attacks?
He broke his ankle because he landed at an unexpected angle from having to suddenly change course and push Mikasa away, then putting his foot against the FT's hand. That is at least one spur of the moment voluntary course change and two collisions with objects that were moving on their own. Unaccounted for variables like Mikasa's momentum can easily make Levi lose his footing.

As for his speed:
1. Armin noted back in episode 7 that Mikasa was moving fast because she was using too much gas. The propellant was made with different settings in mind. As for why other soldiers don't use it, first they would have to be able to handle those speeds--and by handle, I mean coordination, not g-force--; then they would have to judge it appropriate to use the gas so fast.

2. There are other forces acting on the user, e.g. gravity, centripetal force, air resistance. Judicious use of these variables can lead to faster speed.
__________________
Graveyard Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 14:44   Link #198
lateraldeath
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It was obvious enough when it happened, but then they seemed to kind of forget about it and have him walk around normally.

actually i rewatched the part he walked, he was limping.
lateraldeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-12, 16:38   Link #199
normp571
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claym0re View Post
I always thought Levi's squad were in their mid-late twenties (including Levi) and Petra probably in her early twenties.
Levi, Mike, Irwin, Hanji, etc. are/were in their thirties, while Levi's squad was in their 20s-30s, and the members of the 114th are like 15-17.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskylemur25 View Post
I know but wouldn't they wait for the before the fall manga to have Marie chapter before they wait to make that anime. If not how can they sell that manga. Or why make that manga at all if u can just make your own anime based on the light novels. I helped made the thread for the before the fall manga so I am not dumb. I knew about the 3 light novel but no one has translate them, so I am hoping the manga will bring the light novel to life. and most likely they make a anime only attack on titan and not wait for the manga like fma.



I know!!!!!!! But why make the manga if they could just adopted stuff from the light novel? I think they will let more chapters for the manga to come out do we can see the new character then make a mini season.



It was a good addition to the anime. It shows another reason to feel the hardship the scouting legion goes through.
Because an anime costs much more money than a manga.

Last edited by monir; 2013-09-13 at 04:55.
normp571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 09:37   Link #200
Forever
Revealing the truth
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Why did he break his ankle? That part wasn't clear to me. My own theory is because he was moving at such an insane speed which, in turn, was putting a lot of stress on his body. Another enigma would be how he is able to generate so much speed. No really, why is he so fast? He is using the same type of propellant with those gas tanks along with the standard issued 3D Gears, so what is he doing so differently to attain such velocity in his attacks?
It is just his reaction is fast. Who is crazy enough to charge downwards (using gravity) at max speed other than him? Once u are too slow to react to cushion the impact of the speed, u break your ankle...

His upper body must be crazy to do all those turns also...
__________________
Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.