AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-13, 08:44   Link #1321
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
It's a little too little too late to redeem Rin now, since the show is only two more episodes..and I"m sure the relay will be in there, if not the last episode.
Oh, I wouldn't say so. The guy's been changing slowly here and there throughout the later half of the series. Also, I doubt they would be going through all of this in showing all the characters emotions and backstory and how much Rin is beginning to regret if they weren't going to do anything with it and come to some conclusion. And Free doesn't seem the type to come to a sad conclusion either. I think it's likely that all 5 might be if not friends, on their way to becoming so, by the show's end.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 09:26   Link #1322
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
If somebody doesn't like Rin yet, then they probably never will, and that's fine. You don't have to like every character in a show in order to like the show.

That being said, I think that Rin's negatives are a bit blown out of proportion. It's not like he committed a crime, or bullied someone, or cheated on a lover. He's just a bit rough around the edges and has been a bit jerkish to his old friends. I've seen anime characters do far, far, far worse things than Rin's ever did, and still get forgiven for it by a lot of viewers due to some last minute sob story (a character development approach I usually dislike).

It's fine if some viewers of Free! dislike Rin, but he's not a terrible villain or anything that severe. He's just mildly assholish at times. And even when it just comes to being a jerk, I've seen worse.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 10:37   Link #1323
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Personally, I don't think Rin is a villain or anything, he just annoys me and his whole story just makes me roll my eyes. I'm not at all fond of this character type to begin with, and Rin is not only a perfect specimen of his kind, he's even a key character. Plus he is the kind of role where Miyano's voice and performance rubs me the wrong way, so even his voice irritates me.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 18:40   Link #1324
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Rin is the perfect example of a teenager; cute as a kid and then they grow up.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 19:22   Link #1325
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Oh, I wouldn't say so. The guy's been changing slowly here and there throughout the later half of the series. Also, I doubt they would be going through all of this in showing all the characters emotions and backstory and how much Rin is beginning to regret if they weren't going to do anything with it and come to some conclusion. And Free doesn't seem the type to come to a sad conclusion either. I think it's likely that all 5 might be if not friends, on their way to becoming so, by the show's end.
I guess that's where the relay probably comes in?
__________________
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 22:05   Link #1326
Peanutbutter
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Knowing it's Kyoani, it'll probably be some silly reason why Rin is like that now.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 20:44   Link #1327
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
The little five minute movie was cute

Spoiler:
__________________
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 21:02   Link #1328
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
The little five minute movie was cute
What little five minute movie??
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 21:21   Link #1329
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Rin is the perfect example of a teenager; cute as a kid and then they grow up.
But as a kid he was using the team to relive his father's past glories. As a teenager he used his ex-friend as a benchmark to overcome so that he could go to bigger and better things. He's been using and discarding for a while now.

He's not my favorite character.

Also, what 5 minute movie?
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 02:23   Link #1330
OZ7UP
Reckless Rock'N'Roll
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Age: 25
* Makes a dramatic entrance after a long absence *

The 5-minute movie mentioned is an extra from the volume 1 DVD/BD. GDiddy got the gist of the first half of the segment - in order to prevent something like the fish tank incident from happening again, Makoto and Nagisa decided to conduct an experiment to determine Haru's temptation point so that they can predict and prevent his spontaneous stripping in the future. If you're wondering where to find it, look up the show's funny moments on TV Tropes.

* goes off to cook an early dinner so that he can hit the gym at 6am the following morning *
__________________

I'm not really into claiming characters, but these are my exceptions: Alexandra Garcia (Kuroko no Basket), MAGES. (Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory), Nyotalia!France (Hetalia), Nyotalia!Austria (Hetalia), Mayumi Kisaki (The Devil is a Part-Timer!), Kirishima (Arpeggio of Blue Steel), Federica N. Doglio (Strike Witches), and Uomi (Seitokai Yakuindomo).
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 05:31   Link #1331
mistress_kisara
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Woah Free vol. 1 BD/DVD sold 25,726!! It sold better than any Kyoani series since K-on!

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=664041
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 06:30   Link #1332
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
That's not really surprising, though... well, at least I hope this will shut up those people who still claim that female fans don't spend enough money on anime so there's no reason to make shows for them. They just have to be well-made shows.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:35   Link #1333
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Will we see an era with a plethora of cute boys doing cute things?

Call it selfish, but I'm not sure I want that...
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:38   Link #1334
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Why the hell did this became 5 minutes and 10 seconds long?!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:57   Link #1335
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Will we see an era with a plethora of cute boys doing cute things?

Call it selfish, but I'm not sure I want that...
I do. Not saying I'd watch most of it, but equal opportunity moe ftw! XD
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 12:57   Link #1336
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Will we see an era with a plethora of cute boys doing cute things?

Call it selfish, but I'm not sure I want that...
If it's executed well, why not? Besides, the boys have had their fun with the countless ecchi, harem and generic female fanservice shows (most of which I usually enjoy watching regardless), I don't see why the girls can't have their fun once in a while as well, especially not if it makes them spend money on anime, manga, etc.

Besides, the stuff for the boys will never go away, but I encourage a more diverse selection of shows to pick from. Doesn't mean I'll actually watch them all, but if this show is any indication, I might be pleasantly surprised, as I am genuinely enjoying Free!

So yeah, I think it's high sales are definitely deserved.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 13:14   Link #1337
Konja7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
If it's executed well, why not? Besides, the boys have had their fun with the countless ecchi, harem and generic female fanservice shows (most of which I usually enjoy watching regardless), I don't see why the girls can't have their fun once in a while as well, especially not if it makes them spend money on anime, manga, etc.

Besides, the stuff for the boys will never go away, but I encourage a more diverse selection of shows to pick from. Doesn't mean I'll actually watch them all, but if this show is any indication, I might be pleasantly surprised, as I am genuinely enjoying Free!

So yeah, I think it's high sales are definitely deserved.

I totally agree.


PS: Although I always thought that women prefer to see cool boys doing cool things.
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 14:10   Link #1338
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Will we see an era with a plethora of cute boys doing cute things?

Call it selfish, but I'm not sure I want that...
I'm a little bit worried, because the anime industry tends to milk new types of successful content for all their worth, arguably driving quality into the ground over time by taking a simplistic "monkey see, monkey do" approach. I mean, just look at all the light novel adaptations we get now, many of which are of dubious quality, imo.

That being said, if shows aimed strictly at fujoshis don't exceed, say, 20 to 25% of what's out there on a per season basis, I don't see a problem with it. That's certainly not to say that I want 75 to 80% of anime to be ecchi, harem, and generic female fanservice shows - I'd prefer to see that kept down to a quarter or less as well. Its shows that aim for more than simple pandering of any sort that I usually like the best, shows like Madoka Magica, Psycho-Pass, Fate/Zero, Usagi Drop, and Shin Sekai Yori.

Free! itself is a well-made show, though, that I think has a good story to it. So I don't begrudge it its success. But the simplest interpretation for explaining success is often the one that entertainment industries go with, so I have my worries over the ideas that some anime studios might take from Free!'s success.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 14:28   Link #1339
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in a van by the river
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
* Makes a dramatic entrance after a long absence *

The 5-minute movie mentioned is an extra from the volume 1 DVD/BD. GDiddy got the gist of the first half of the segment - in order to prevent something like the fish tank incident from happening again, Makoto and Nagisa decided to conduct an experiment to determine Haru's temptation point so that they can predict and prevent his spontaneous stripping in the future. If you're wondering where to find it, look up the show's funny moments on TV Tropes.

* goes off to cook an early dinner so that he can hit the gym at 6am the following morning *
What he said. I found it on a site that probably shouldn't have it XD


Quote:
Will we see an era with a plethora of cute boys doing cute things?

Call it selfish, but I'm not sure I want that...
I think we're already seeing that. Look at that series with the boys in glasses that's coming in a few weeks...

As long as it's written well, I"m on board with more cute boys. And as long as it's not as shitty as Diabolik Lovers.
__________________
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 16:20   Link #1340
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I think we're already seeing that. Look at that series with the boys in glasses that's coming in a few weeks...
That's not the result of Free, though. In fact, Free itself is the result of KyoAni hopping on a bandwagon. On the "shows about pretty boys for a primarily female audience" front just this year there was, so far: UtaPri 2000% (also sold like hotcakes), Hakkenden srs 1-2), Karneval, BroCon, Makai Ouji and of course Free. Sure, these are not, strictly speaking, "cute boys doing cute things" shows, but then again, neither is Free.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
abs, fabulous, sports, water animation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.