AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 45 42.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 27.36%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 11.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 11.32%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.77%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.94%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.89%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.94%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-13, 22:06   Link #201
peskylemur25
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Because an anime costs much more money than a manga.[/QUOTE]

So that has nothing to with the original question.
peskylemur25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 10:41   Link #202
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No, he wasn't, not yet.
After the capture failed, Erwin asked Levi to resupply in blades and gas. That said, Levi had already used a pair of blades during the initial strike against the FT. Suffice to say, he probably would have to change his second pair considering how much he lacerated FT all around.
The close up during the retreat portion with Dieter showing up with titans weren't because he was out of blade (arguably not, since you can see 3 blades in his gear), but because he broke his ankle.
Re-watched and yeah you're right. Well the will to talk about episode I watched when I was dead tired. I did know notice the broken leg, but Levi still strikes me as someone who would act to save people regardless of his physical condition. If were still humanly possible anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateraldeath View Post
actually i rewatched the part he walked, he was limping.
I can confirm it too though it's pretty subtle detail.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 14:47   Link #203
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
Past or future doesn't really matter.
Since, the society in the story resemble medieval Europe, their behavior should resemble one as well.
It's not like they have supermarket where you can buy food and leave it in a fridge for your kid while you go to work. Someone have to stay home looking after them. Hell, it doesn't look like they even have a school. (Look at Eren and Mikasa in Episode 1)
The fabric of their society, their beliefs, the factions, the social forces at play, the leaders' goals, etc, are completely different from medieval Europe's. Don't think that because there's a king and a castle that's enough to tag "Medieval Europe" on it, that's an extremely shallow comparison.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-15, 17:29   Link #204
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
The fabric of their society, their beliefs, the factions, the social forces at play, the leaders' goals, etc, are completely different from medieval Europe's. Don't think that because there's a king and a castle that's enough to tag "Medieval Europe" on it, that's an extremely shallow comparison.
I didn't say they resemble Medieval Europe because there is a king and a castle in it.

I said they resemble Medieval Europe because they lack infrastructure we have in modern society. They are mostly small agricultural communities with only 12(now 8) settlements large enough to be called city,"walled cities". They have to go hunting, gathering and farming for themselves. No electricity. No refrigerator. No supermarket. No school. Parents need to stay home to look after their children.

One of the disclosed information indicated that there is a city inside wall Sina called Factory town. Perhaps, the central is already industrialized and the society there may be different. That is remain to be seen.



Tag something "post-apocalyptic" without a single evident shown in the story yet is beyond shallow if you ask me.
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 11:18   Link #205
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Except I said it looks like post-apocalyptic future, as in we don't know, whereas you're claiming their behaviour is like the people of medieval Europe, which is beyond ridiculous. I'd suggest you pick up a history book before jumping to dumb conclusions.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 12:53   Link #206
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
If it's a post-acopalyptic future, where are the ruins?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 17:27   Link #207
kitsunisan
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Except I said it looks like post-apocalyptic future, as in we don't know, whereas you're claiming their behaviour is like the people of medieval Europe, which is beyond ridiculous. I'd suggest you pick up a history book before jumping to dumb conclusions.
The presence of a king implies a medieval-style feudal system.
The style of dress is similar to what you would have seen in Western Europe during that time.
The design of the buildings are what you would expect from that time.
What part of all of that screams post-apocalyptic to you?
kitsunisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 17:50   Link #208
rocket
Senior and Demented
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
You know what's ridiculous? Getting upset at people on the internet because of message board postings. Deep breaths all around - we're all friends, we all root for Eren and hate Titans (except for the crazy ones who root for FT but we don't talk about *them*).

It's my personal impression that this is a post-apocalyptic setting simply because I recall (perhaps mistakenly) when the slavers were hunting for Mikasa's mom it was because she's one of the last Asian people around? That suggests a past where many races were common (or known) like through most of post stone age human history (i.e. well before the Middle Ages)...
__________________
rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 17:57   Link #209
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Post-apocalyptic in the sense that something terrible happened, then yes, the Titans happened.

But it usually means we go from something modern or even futuristic to, well, something medieval or worse. Here, there are no indication of a prior advanced civilization that fell. Unless you count the Titans themselves as such a sign.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 23:32   Link #210
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
First the presence of a bunch of different nationalities points towards post-apocalyptic. Erwin Smith = English, Eren Jaeger = German, Mikasa = Japanese, etc. If you look at the names, the vast majority are German so if I had to guess the walls our protagonists are living is in the equivalent of Germany. Although we've yet to see any snow.

Immigration and being able to move freely between countries is a recent thing, for instance if we were to say that this series is situated in the past, how do you explain Mikasa's ancestors being there? From what I could research, the first Japanese immigrants to Europe arrived in the 1800s.

Then there's also the possibility that the walls were not constructed to just randomly hold whoever was there at the time, but also as a sort of Noah's arc. If titans showed up and started ravaging cities and people knew that civilisation was going to collapse, it's possible that a bunch of different countries got together, built the walls, and sent a "sample" of humanity to go live there.

Then knowledge was lost, and people inside the walls reverted to using more primitive technology and a more primitive ruling system.

Ever since the first wall was breached, the recon corps haven't gone to the outside world. The expedition that Eren was on for example was going through the part that they lost to the titan attack years prior. We haven't seen the recon corps go outside ever since the very first episode, and then it was said that they never got very far because causalities were too heavy. There might absolutely be ruined cities and information about what happened outside just waiting to be found.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 04:28   Link #211
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I suppose it's possible it's some kind of space colony that had stuff happen. How is that different from "it's another world unconnected to Earth", though?

What it's very probably not is a post-21st century Earth. Where would they have found an area greater than Germany to build those walls, empty of pre-existing cities and far from the sea? With that climate and those trees, too.

And how come they're so racially homogeneous? If something happened to our societies and only western Europe survived, there's no way that a mere century later we'd be down to one half-Asian, zero Blacks, zero Arabs.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 06:27   Link #212
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
As I said in my initial post.
Past or future doesn't really matter.

I don't mind it being post apocalyptic future.
There may indeed be super advance civilization(or its ruin) out there.
However, people inside the wall do not live in such advance civilization.
They do not have access to such advance technology.
They do not have infrastructure to maintain such advance society.
The society inside the wall right here right now resemble Medieval Europe.



IIRC, all this discussion stem from "Petra's father want her to get marry so she will abandon her military career"
Then someone argue that "No, she won't abandon her career. This is not medieval age. This is actually post apocalyptic age"
I merely said she will more likely than not. As the society the way it is, both parents can't afford to work out and leave their children home.
If she can find understanding husband who agree to house keep for her, sure she can continue her career.
If she goes for Levi though, I'm sure Levi will retire from military and look after kids for Petra
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:20   Link #213
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
I don't know how to say it in a way you'll understand "Hmm", the world of attack on titan does not resemble the middle ages beyond superficial aspects. I can tell you haven't studied the middle ages in detail.

Your understanding of the previous discussion is wrong. Petra's father expected that his daughter would quit her job in the recon corps when she got married. This is a modern Japanese concept, women take jobs but when they get married it's expected they will quit their job and focus on family. I pointed out that this shows that the author unconsciously projected his Japanese views onto western characters.

Someone jumped to defend the author stating that he planned this because the series takes place in the past. If this society was on the same level as the middle ages, a woman would not have gotten a place in the army to begin with. Women's rights wise, the society you see in attack on titan is clearly as advanced as ours. This also suggests that the series takes place in the future - they've lost their technology but the beliefs they held before endured.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 08:50   Link #214
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I don't think one should make too much of a Japanese author inserting one bit of modern Japanese thinking into his story. I doubt he put all that much thought into it.

The gender equality is modern. The monarchy and slavery isn't. All in all, it's probably a patchwork of whatever the author thought was cool or would serve the story.

The absence of myth about super-advanced ancestors or of anything much from the past doesn't point to post-apocalyptic. More like "they've got their own history, which doesn't look much like ours."
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 10:19   Link #215
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
I don't know how to say it in a way you'll understand "Hmm", the world of attack on titan does not resemble the middle ages beyond superficial aspects. I can tell you haven't studied the middle ages in detail.
I believe my choice of word was good enough.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/resemble?s=t
re·sem·ble [ri-zem-buhl] Show IPA
verb (used with object), re·sem·bled, re·sem·bling.
1. to be like or similar to.
2. Archaic. to liken or compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Except I said it looks like post-apocalyptic future, as in we don't know, whereas you're claiming their behaviour is like the people of medieval Europe, which is beyond ridiculous. I'd suggest you pick up a history book before jumping to dumb conclusions.
resemble, similar, is like, look like. Enlighten me what is the different between these four words.


It doesn't not need to be exactly the same in every detail to be deemed resemble medieval society.
By your logic, SnK is not in any way look like post apocalyptic future as well.
What should post apocalyptic society look like anyway ?
I would love to hear your definition on that subject.

In fact, what does being in post apocalyptic future help your case at all ?
What can their belief do if the circumstance does not allow it.
As I keep saying over and over it doesn't matter.



All in all, I agree with Anh_Minh.
SnK world is most likely patchwork from the author and not by any mean related to our Earth.
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 13:01   Link #216
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
The people in the world of SnK don't act like people did in the middle ages, we know how people in the middle ages acted and lived, it's called history. I'm pointing out that your comparison is wrong, that's all. Post-apocalyptic future could be just about anything indeed, it's fiction.

Yep a Japanese actor unconsciously putting Japanese thinking into his works is a pretty normal thing. Westerns authors could do the same while trying to write Japanese characters.

But apparently some people took this simple observation to heart and feel the need to transform this into a "Is this story in the past or future?" debate. Which is inane as we don't know either way. At the end of the day I think this is post-apocalyptic future, based on our earth, I've made a post above detailing why. PS: I love how you conveniently ignored all my points. There's nothing left to do but to watch the show and see how it rolls out, we'll see who is right
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 15:48   Link #217
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
What points have been ignored?

The modern Japanese behavior you backpedaled on? The immigration which, as I've pointed out, tends to disprove the post-apocalyptic scenario?

You say we don't know. I agree. So why do you insist there are clues it's a "post-apocalyptic" world? What do you mean by post-apocalyptic anyway? Because it's lacking the most important marker of a post-apocalyptic world: the ruins of an advance civilization.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 06:13   Link #218
Hmm....
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
You say we don't know. I agree. So why do you insist there are clues it's a "post-apocalyptic" world? What do you mean by post-apocalyptic anyway? Because it's lacking the most important marker of a post-apocalyptic world: the ruins of an advance civilization.
He will say that is a superficial aspect just like a king and a castle



Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
The people in the world of SnK don't act like people did in the middle ages, we know how people in the middle ages acted and lived, it's called history. I'm pointing out that your comparison is wrong, that's all. Post-apocalyptic future could be just about anything indeed, it's fiction.
Byakou, when you want to point something out, you need to clearly state your reasons. Why you are right ? Why I am wrong ?
In this case:

1. How did real people in real medieval Europe act and live ?
Show us your intensive study of medieval European life.

2. Which part of SnK does not resemble/similar/is like/look like medieval European ?
You offer us one reason so far. Better woman right, which I agree.
Is that all ? That alone wouldn't crumble the whole medieval setting, would it ?

3. Which part of SnK does resemble/similar/is like/look like post apocalyptic future ?
We are talking about society structure here. Being racially homogeneous is not one of them.
You can replace all character's name with Japanese one. You can replace all character hair with red/green/blue as many anime love to do.
I would still call SnK society medieval-like.

When I press you to clarify what exactly is apocalyptic society, you keep saying you don't know.
So you don't know what post apocalyptic future look like. You don't know if SnK is one.
Yet you repeatedly insult a poster who think otherwise that it is shallow, dumb, ridiculous ?
That is not how you make an intelligent post my friend.



PS. I do admit I am guilty for getting upset over some random internet post as rocket remind me. Thank you very much.
However I do hate Eren, believe Titans just live their lives and think Humans deserve to die as much as Titans.
But that is another story
__________________
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 20:58   Link #219
forgotaboutanime
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
After FT "eats" Eren, why doesn't Levi simply destroy her? He testifies to Mikasa they can't take her down due to her ability to harden her skin, but he demonstrates that he is faster than her ability to do that. Why did it have to be either save Eren or take down FT? Yes, I know he broke his ankle while saving Mikasa, but that was AFTER he testified that it was impossible to take her down. And yes, Irwin also wanted FT alive but given Levi's skill it seems entirely plausible that he would be able to destroy her titan body without mortally wounding the human inside. By the time he split apart her jaw she was already susceptible.
forgotaboutanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 21:30   Link #220
Snow White
★ Starlight Breaker ★
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lolicon Realm
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotaboutanime View Post
After FT "eats" Eren, why doesn't Levi simply destroy her? He testifies to Mikasa they can't take her down due to her ability to harden her skin, but he demonstrates that he is faster than her ability to do that. Why did it have to be either save Eren or take down FT? Yes, I know he broke his ankle while saving Mikasa, but that was AFTER he testified that it was impossible to take her down. And yes, Irwin also wanted FT alive but given Levi's skill it seems entirely plausible that he would be able to destroy her titan body without mortally wounding the human inside. By the time he split apart her jaw she was already susceptible.
>Levi has limited blades
>No matter how fast he is, FT can always harden the nape of her neck before he even starts attacking.
His speed has advantages only if Levi attacks another parts of her body that FT can't predict.
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.