AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

View Poll Results: Code Geass: Akito the Exiled OVA - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 2 22.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 11.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 4 44.44%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-08-22, 21:06   Link #921
gordol
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
It seems like they must have torn off the face plate during the battle, or at least that's what I imagine.

We already know that Akito's unit will be heavily damaged as per the official poster.
nope, it's a mask off power-up

Think Gundam F91


Last edited by gordol; 2013-08-22 at 21:25.
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 21:34   Link #922
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
nope, it's a mask off power-up

Think Gundam F91
I get your point, sort of...but why can't it be both?

The mask comes off due to damage, but something else activates and counts as the "power-up" you're speaking about.

Especially since the RD isn't going to describe exactly what happens during the second episode in detail.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 13:44   Link #923
gordol
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
My prediction for OVA 2 story:

-W0 ordered to act as diversion
-Leila makes a plan to attack the city, she will sortie along them and drop using the gliders
-Shin's knighting and ball
-Japanese team development in the castle
-Jean orders Asura to bait the Wyvern team in the city battle
-City combat: The Asura team's mission is to gauge the W0's unit prowess, Akito fights Asura to a standstill, nobody dies. Asura retreats
-Shin uses the info to plan an attack on the W0's castle, knows Akito is alive
-Leila goes meet C.C in the night before Shin's attack so she hurries back to the battlefield in the bike
-Shin uses long range bombardment to attack the forest/castle to lure W0 out. They inflict heavy damage to the W0 unit
-Forest combat: no idea what will happen(not enough footage) but Shin and Jean sortie after awhile,
-Akito VS Shin round 1: flashback, Face Mask Off Powerup but Akito is seriously in injured after his Alexander is totalled.
-Ayano confronts Leila
-END

Suzaku seems to be guarding something coming by train, a KMF(Vercingetorix?) perhaps, delivers it to Shin?

For OVA 3 I think Akito will be out of the picture for most of the OVA and only comeback to battle Suzaku at the end.

Expect spoiler on the 8/31 premier

Last edited by gordol; 2013-08-24 at 14:01.
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 20:40   Link #924
Kurohane
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
^ Considering C.C. is on the run with Kallen during this time. I doubt she will appear in anything other than a flashback. Plus, there's no explanation of how Akito's unit ends up in space.
__________________
Kurohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 21:33   Link #925
gordol
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
^ Considering C.C. is on the run with Kallen during this time. I doubt she will appear in anything other than a flashback. Plus, there's no explanation of how Akito's unit ends up in space.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you think they are going to space?
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 22:14   Link #926
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Age: 8
Or maybe trapped in C's World. You know, the space between Earth and Jupiter.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 05:45   Link #927
Lost Cause
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 37
Or possibly hiding out in China.
During R2 there was some hinting that CC knew both Tanzi and Xing Ke prior to this meeting.
__________________

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 19:46   Link #928
gordol
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Saw new CM, nothing but finally some seconds of Akito VS Asura in the city



The background city CG is PS1 era level...
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-29, 20:46   Link #929
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
The background city CG is PS1 era level...
You're exaggerating, but then again I care about the robots, not the background city. And nobody can claim the robots are "PS1 era" with a straight face.

They can certainly create more detailed city backgrounds, going by the first episode, so this strikes me as a conscious choice or a compromise to avoid further delays.

If the price of having a more complicated battle this time with multiple Alexanders jumping around is to simplify the backgrounds a little, I'm all for that approach.

Thanks for the picture though. I guess it's good they're not really spoiling the important parts of the fight in the CM yet.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 02:26   Link #930
Scherzo09
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I don't get why people get into conniptions about the CG in the OVA. tbfh the action looks a lot better than it did in the series.

I really do hope that Leila becomes a legitimate champion of Democracy and Republicanism though, and is given examples of the EU's government actually working instead of just being like the EF circa Zeta era.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 04:20   Link #931
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Age: 8
I doubt it, considering the "Youth in Paradox" theme of Code Geass.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 05:01   Link #932
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
I don't get why people get into conniptions about the CG in the OVA. tbfh the action looks a lot better than it did in the series.

I really do hope that Leila becomes a legitimate champion of Democracy and Republicanism though, and is given examples of the EU's government actually working instead of just being like the EF circa Zeta era.
Leila gives me the impression that she was taught to believe in those ideals, either at school or at least in the military, despite her own father apparently not being quite like that, but the reality of the situation might not live up to them.

In a way, the E.U. is sort of trapped by the fact it's included in a story about the final years of a superpower. There should be parts of the government that still work well, or which people are sincerely trying to make them work, but others should suffer from corruption and other problems, which directly or indirectly contributed to the fall.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 10:31   Link #933
Scherzo09
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Leila gives me the impression that she was taught to believe in those ideals, either at school or at least in the military, despite her own father apparently not being quite like that, but the reality of the situation might not live up to them.
Are you sure about that? I thought the general, who obviously is a Coriolanus type who resents Populism ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArNqebm_Gg for reference) , was sort of back-handing Leila's father for supporting Republicanism.

Quote:
In a way, the E.U. is sort of trapped by the fact it's included in a story about the final years of a superpower. There should be parts of the government that still work well, or which people are sincerely trying to make them work, but others should suffer from corruption and other problems, which directly or indirectly contributed to the fall.
I think just because its doomed to fail doesn't mean it should be shown not to be worth saving. I don't really care for the Trope that a government needs to be shown as completely dysfunctional to show it has problems. And I kinda especially don't want a Tomino-esqe theme of "Innocent Youths are the only ones who can save adults from themselves"; I don't mind them having a fresh perspective of sorts, but I want it to be like Unicorn which belabors how hard it is to change things and how everyone is doing what they see as best given their circumstances.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 14:20   Link #934
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
Are you sure about that? I thought the general, who obviously is a Coriolanus type who resents Populism ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TArNqebm_Gg for reference) , was sort of back-handing Leila's father for supporting Republicanism.
I've gone and checked the episode, so here's the conversation (using the Japanese retail subs, which Funimation could always decide to replace or edit for style, clarity, etc.):

Quote:
Smilas: Ever since the revolution 300 years ago, the United Republic of Europia has maintained its republic system. However, what the revolution might really have given rise to is the money-worship that has overrun this republic that is the end result of irresponsibility and self-interest.

That's even true for those who claim to be this country's leaders. If this keeps up, the day we're conquered by Britannia might be near. By the descendants of the royals and nobles who were driven from this country and fled to the new world because of the revolution.

That is why I think this way: "If only Gen. Napoleon Bonaparte, the hero of the revolution, had become emperor of all Europe rather than dying at the guillotine..."

Leila: But Napoleon tried to set himself up as dictator.

Smilas: The dictatorship of one talented man is more beneficial to humanity than the democracy of the ignorant masses That's what your father wished for, as well. That's why he was murdered.

Leila: I was still very young when Father passed away, so I don't...

Smilas: Oh, no. I'm not criticizing him. Your father and I were best friends, after all.

Smilas: The fact that we keep the Elevens who live in Europia locked away in internment camps out of fear of Britannia is also cowardice resulting from republicanism. Though I have little enough pity for the Elevens for not resisting...
That's as much as we're likely to hear about her father, perhaps, and it paints him as agreeing with Smilas in wanting benevolent dictatorship to reform a stagnant republic.

Leila seems fairly skeptical though. I assume she'll try to keep it up, provided the story doesn't push her too hard towards a position of disillusion with the government.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 14:57   Link #935
Scherzo09
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post

That's as much as we're likely to hear about her father, perhaps, and it paints him as agreeing with Smilas in wanting benevolent dictatorship to reform a stagnant republic.

Leila seems fairly skeptical though. I assume she'll try to keep it up, provided the story doesn't push her too hard towards a position of disillusion with the government.
I guess my fear is that, One, the OVA will come down on giving some pretty Pro-Fascist message, and two, I feel it'd diminish the potential vibrancy of the EU if its reduced to a pathetic self-interested bureaucracy like the EF is in Zeta through CCA. I dunno why I would expect that amount of depth from a Geass thing, since the OG series was pretty simplistic about Britannia's villainy and corruption, but I feel there have been hints that this is a more filled in world, so I don't want it wasted by reducing the EU to a mere decadent republic with a few good men willing to defend it.

The explanation for interning the Japanese, which I must have missed, strikes me as nonsensical. Why would Britannia retaliate for the EU repatriating those refugees? I thought the reason was they were locked in the refugee zones is because native Europeans didn't want the Japanese leeching off their welfare or looking for handouts.

Also I really don't like that they chose 'Europia' as the country's name. Europe would've been fine, as well as Europa, as that's Europe in Latin. I really hope the dub changes it to either of those.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 16:52   Link #936
gordol
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Implying Smilas didn't kill Leila's dad and now feels guilty and protects her
gordol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 17:04   Link #937
Scherzo09
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordol View Post
Implying Smilas didn't kill Leila's dad and now feels guilty and protects her
Why would Smilas kill a man who shared his ideals? Although, its kind of fishy that someone who defected from the Britannian Empire would be enamored with the idea of Enlightened Monarchy.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 18:29   Link #938
Xander
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 31
Some mildly interesting trivia I just found out is that Manfredi and Shin were actually talking in Turkey, specifically in Dolmabahçe Palace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherzo09 View Post
I guess my fear is that, One, the OVA will come down on giving some pretty Pro-Fascist message, and two, I feel it'd diminish the potential vibrancy of the EU if its reduced to a pathetic self-interested bureaucracy like the EF is in Zeta through CCA. I dunno why I would expect that amount of depth from a Geass thing, since the OG series was pretty simplistic about Britannia's villainy and corruption, but I feel there have been hints that this is a more filled in world, so I don't want it wasted by reducing the EU to a mere decadent republic with a few good men willing to defend it.
Perhaps it will be influenced by how much screen time is spent on politics vs. other concerns. You could say it comes down to whether or not Leila will be at the side of Smilas if he makes some sort of power grab, since it seems they're implying that's likely to happen sooner or later. Either that or he'll be purged for having such thoughts himself.

Quote:
The explanation for interning the Japanese, which I must have missed, strikes me as nonsensical. Why would Britannia retaliate for the EU repatriating those refugees? I thought the reason was they were locked in the refugee zones is because native Europeans didn't want the Japanese leeching off their welfare or looking for handouts.
Political and economic issues as well as simple xenophobia or paranoia don't seem mutually exclusive though, since the E.U. is officially at war with Britannia and I don't think deportation or repatriation of all the Japanese in Europe to Area 11 is a practical solution under those circumstances either.

There's also the historical fact that Japan quickly surrendered and has been a Britannian possession for almost a decade. The original series did point out the existence of many collaborationist individuals and "Honorary Britannians" like Suzaku Kururugi, so it's not out of the question that some Japanese would be suspected of harboring such sympathies. Add to that the various terrorists, resistance groups and criminal gangs like Ryo and his friends. If you take a step back and look at all this, it's not hard to see the kind of nonsense opportunistic politicians could come up with in order to justify such a move.

Quote:
Also I really don't like that they chose 'Europia' as the country's name. Europe would've been fine, as well as Europa, as that's Europe in Latin. I really hope the dub changes it to either of those.
This reminds me of when the Japanese companies insisted on having English language versions use "Arucard" instead of "Alucard" for the Hellsing character, but I believe they did allow the dub to change the name. I guess it all sounds the same for the Japanese. I don't know when we'll actually get a dub release, but it's always possible Funimation will tweak the pronunciation or translation of the term if allowed to do so.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 19:32   Link #939
Scherzo09
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post


Political and economic issues as well as simple xenophobia or paranoia don't seem mutually exclusive though, since the E.U. is officially at war with Britannia and I don't think deportation or repatriation of all the Japanese in Europe to Area 11 is a practical solution under those circumstances either.

There's also the historical fact that Japan quickly surrendered and has been a Britannian possession for almost a decade. The original series did point out the existence of many collaborationist individuals and "Honorary Britannians" like Suzaku Kururugi, so it's not out of the question that some Japanese would be suspected of harboring such sympathies. Add to that the various terrorists, resistance groups and criminal gangs like Ryo and his friends. If you take a step back and look at all this, it's not hard to see the kind of nonsense opportunistic politicians could come up with in order to justify such a move.
Maybe it'd be better parsed as "Britannia would give a shitfit if Europa tried to send its population back to Area 11." I just would like it to be more clear that the reason they don't offer Europan Citizenship because they'd be a drain on their resources. I mean theres similar problems in Jordan and Turkey with Syrian refugees irl atm.
Scherzo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 19:41   Link #940
kaiser11492
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Some mildly interesting trivia I just found out is that Manfredi and Shin were actually talking in Turkey, specifically in Dolmabahçe Palace.
I thought the scene between Manfredi and Shin took place at the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg since they mentioned St. Petersburg was recently lost to Euro Britannian forces.
kaiser11492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.