AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Infinite Stratos

Notices

View Poll Results: Infinite Stratos 2 - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 3 5.56%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 14.81%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 20.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 27.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 20.37%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 9.26%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.85%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-10-04, 16:50   Link #101
Preciize
Them Feels~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
The second season is finally here ^^ Been looking forward to it for so long! The first episode seemed a bit rushed though ...
__________________
Preciize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 18:12   Link #102
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure King View Post
i know i sound like the odd one out, but i found the first epi abit rushed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciize View Post
The first episode seemed a bit rushed though ...
A big reason the first episode seems rushed is because this is the TV Edit, and it's getting a 40-minute release on the first Blu-Ray/DVD to be released at the end of the month. Other episodes won't follow this pattern, at least from what the Blu-Ray/DVD solicitations suggest.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 18:27   Link #103
SigUp
Kiririn on vacation!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
So this first episode is basically a shorter version of the long vacation OVA?
__________________
SigUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 21:01   Link #104
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
So this first episode is basically a shorter version of the long vacation OVA?
Yup, exactly. You'll note the episode has the same title (Hitonatsu no Omoide). The "Long Vacation Edition" on BD/DVD is the full version of the episode.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 01:02   Link #105
Eratas123
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
The cafe scene looks even more ridiculous in animation :/ I can understand Laura since she's a supersoldier, but how the hell did Charlotte go from mostly average girl to an agent of the Matrix? That and the robbers felt phoned in; how and why would an average robber carry enough explosives to decimate a building? If they wanted money they might as well have sold the explosives instead >.>
__________________
Eratas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 02:34   Link #106
Eratas123
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Sorry; after playing GTA V I guess I got used to the idea of crooks being smarter than 'Give me money or else I'll do X!'
__________________
Eratas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 02:35   Link #107
ZeroXSEED
I am no one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Inside your head
The robbery scene is infinitely smarter than the pool arc

Period
__________________
Ichika Is Awesome
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 02:51   Link #108
Eratas123
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
......How so?
__________________
Eratas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 03:07   Link #109
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
--snippy snip--
Which of these girls would be the most relaxing for a guy to hang out with and be in a relationship with? It's unquestionably Charlotte, imo.
I agree with the rest of your post, except this. I would've been happier had Charlotte actually was Charles. but Charlotte as she is now is fine too!
Best girl in IS indeed. It was not even HanaKana factor because somehow or the other I actually failed to realize it was her until after the Charlotte reveal.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 03:25   Link #110
ZeroXSEED
I am no one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Inside your head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
......How so?
Because supposedly well trained, well disciplined cadet representative toting their gun inside crowded waterpark is smarter somehow?

But that's not important (it's OVA material), overall this episode is good as opening. Also, Madoka is hardcore when animated
__________________
Ichika Is Awesome
ZeroXSEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 05:44   Link #111
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
It's a very messy first Episode, with the pacing going completely nuts from that insane scene where Char and Laura thrashes those hostage takers. And even that scene felt utterly stupid - taking hostages on the very door step of the IS Academy is the height of lunacy, and a probable death wish, given there's a good chance that many of the patrons are students of that Academy.

And Char and Laura working part-time was just as abruptly presented, and didn't really make sense in my view either. Although I will henceforth call Lura x Char EU Shipping.

So yes. It was acceptable for ten minutes, and after that, the episode ran into the ground.

That being said, I'm a Char fan because she's one of the more multi-dimensional characters that's not solely defined by her attitude and position towards Ichika, unless the rest of the Harem. She has agency, independent of Ichika, even after her initial character arc was resolved. And unfortunately. the said sense of agency is absent for Houki, Rin, Cecilia and Laura, either from the start, or after they entered Ichika's harem proper.

It's ironic, because I agree that Laura and Cecilia's character could have been just as complex as Char, if not more so, but after their initial character intros, their personalities and circumstances were either erased on played for laughs. The problem is, by circling their characters around Ichika, that potential isn't fulfilled, and that's frustrating.

The other problem that I have is that Rin is played up as a joke, "other" Osanajimi. Nevermind that she probably had to beat one of the largest pools of IS Candidates on Earth to become the IS Representative of CHINA. It's a huge crying shame that this was never explored, even though you'd think that this fact (and also, the fact that she spent a good deal of her childhood in Japan, and therefore probably doesn't seat well with Chinese ultra-nationalist, nor Japanese ultra-nationalist for that matter) is going to factor in her character. Moreso than Laura or Cecelia, that potential was wasted. Largely, I suspect it's because the author never had personal contact with students from China studying abroad on Scholarship. I think anyone whose encountered these kind of students in University would find it harder to buy Rin as a character.

Houki, is... Houki. She's meant to satisfy the Otaku Database, by presenting a Tsundere Osanajimi which fulfills all of those check boxes. She does get more development, but much of it is Ichika centric.

And Ichika.... sigh. You are surrounded by females, almost exclusively on a daily basis. You see them wearing absurdly skimpy fanservice centric IS frames in practice all the time. I cannot understand how you could get that embarrassed with your haremette loose state of dress considering what you see on a daily basis, and that's before accounting for the fact that you know two of them since a very young age.

Actually, I think one of the reasons why Char is so popular, is that Ichika doesn't collapse into an awkward jelly whenever he speaks to her, even if shes' strangely or minimally dressed for that matter.

Last edited by novalysis; 2013-10-05 at 06:06.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 09:57   Link #112
JamJackEvo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Planet Earth
This image explains my opinion of Ichika to a T at the end of the episode:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I like the idea that he's intentionally playing dumb because he doesn't see any other way to survive this situation.

But while I like the idea, I doubt he's that good of an actor, lol.
Another harem protagonist already made use of that idea, acted so dense that even high-powered diamond-encrusted drills won't put a dent in his "a girl is making a move on me!" radar. He got better, though.
JamJackEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 10:39   Link #113
SigUp
Kiririn on vacation!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Well, I tend to just ignore Ichika... There are so many other interesting characters, so why bother with that dense idiot, although he is the focal point of everybody.
__________________
SigUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 20:08   Link #114
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
So much hate for Ichika. And here I thought he is part of the show’s charm.

You see, without Ichika, Houki would always be the stoic depressing and hard-to-approach girl, Laura would end up just like Houki plus with the tendency of being violent and extremely rude toward others, Charlotte wouldn’t be as cute as she is now coz she will forever crossdress and act like a nervous boy, Rin will lose the purpose of her existence , and we would never see Chifuyu’s interesting side when she’s interacting with Ichika. Like it or not, Ichika brought out the charm of most of the girls.

And yes, I conclude that from watching the anime only, so novel-readers, please go easy on me .
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 20:37   Link #115
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Age: 8
Nah, you're right, and yet you're wrong. That is one of my hate for the Author: After being "cured" by Ichika, the girls could be much more than just clingy teenagers in crush.

And like I said before, are there any other way than pretend to be dense for the global peace? Not to mention that Ichika has two bro-con of sisters...
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 20:54   Link #116
Johnny
Working the bags...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Man, I don't know if I can handle another season of a dumber than dirt Ichika again. Let's hope the girls can make it worthwhile...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-05, 22:43   Link #117
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 23
As much as dense Ichika is, I seriously don't like him being with Houki =3=
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 02:07   Link #118
greensoulreaper
こんにちは
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
The first episode was better than I thought. But whoa so much Ichika hate in these threads. Have I been living under a rock or was he always this hated? Personally I think he makes the series amusing in his own ways. If he weren't there the entire story would be different, along with how some of the girls are too if you think about it.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 02:51   Link #119
SigUp
Kiririn on vacation!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Not to mention that Ichika has two bro-con of sisters...
Two?
__________________
SigUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-06, 03:04   Link #120
Newhope
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
MEH below average, I'll give it another episode or two but I don't think I can stomach a full season of this.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.