AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Old 2013-10-21, 04:35   Link #1
Tempester
AS's "Love Live!" Fanatic

Decrease minimum number of characters per keyword in forum search

I came across a problem when searching for old threads in the General Anime subforum as I was considering making a thread about changing art styles in anime: I am unable to search with keywords of 4 characters or below. This rules out words like "new", "old", "moe", and "art", making it very hard to find old threads on the subject material I want to post about.

I'm sure I'm not the only member who has been frustrated by this arbitrary limit either, especially when the moderators and community always encourage us to find old threads before making duplicate topics.

I suggest that we fix the search system so that we can search with keywords of at least 2 characters.
- - - - -
Recently completed anime:
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei
Nagi no Asukara
Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie Part III: Rebellion (JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HELL HOLY CRAP)
Wake Up, Girls!
Kill la Kill
The Garden of Words
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 05:03   Link #2
Dr. Casey

Sounds good to me. There's definitely a wide variety of three letter words out there, so a four character minimum might not be the most convenient.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 18:10   Link #3
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

I actually have run to this problem myself too when I think "there must be an existing thread about this", then try to do a search only to find that the term I want to search for is too short (and that's probably the best linking word) -- particularly with a word like "moe" (which comes up a lot in General Anime, for example). Sometimes I've done a Google search of the forum in these sorts of cases.

I'm guessing the reason they did this is because these sorts of keyword indexes take up space in the database and in many cases you may not want your index to be filled with words like "an", "the", "and", and so on. But I'm not sure just how big of a trade-off there would be.

Anyway, it's something that'd have to be investigated to see what the impact would be of changing it. But I can think of cases where I would have benefited from this change too.
Old 2013-10-22, 07:33   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

GHDPro switched to SphinxSearch as the search engine and dumped the one that comes with vBulletin. Sphinx allows the use of lists of "stop words," common words like "the" which the indexer will ignore. This is a much better solution to the problem than arbitrary length limits.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-10-22 at 14:30.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote