AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-03-27, 01:40   Link #501
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia.
Age: 6
They might be the same in Arabic script, but they're spelled differently in Japanese.
__________________
Zenemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 02:14   Link #502
ila-chan
ermmm...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: definitely not here
Possible ending for Setsuna if he had the same conclusion as Camille

Running towards Marina and cries
"Mommmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......................!! !!!!!!"

Possible ending for Setsuna if he had the same conclusion as Kira

Looks upon the dessert, counting how many times sandstorm passes by

Possible ending for Setsuna if he had the same conclusion as Shinn

"The world is twisted. I know that first hand. Now the war has ended let's go get drunk and jerk ourselves!"


Possible ending for Setsuna if he had the same conclusion as Quartto


"Yes, I am Setsuna. But I am also that bastard called 'GUNDAM'"
__________________
my life revolves only on these things...

my final year project

my beloved akane the laptop

all bishonen guys ever existed in the history of manga




The rest could just go along with me or go to hell
ila-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 02:25   Link #503
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
They might be the same in Arabic script, but they're spelled differently in Japanese.
Why would they be spelt differently in Japanese? They're both pronounced the same to my knowledge.
__________________

Last edited by Tokkan; 2009-03-27 at 04:43.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 04:02   Link #504
furato
Chronic Googler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
They might be the same in Arabic script, but they're spelled differently in Japanese.
Er, no. Soran's written name in Japanese has always been ソラン・イブラヒム (soran iburahimu).
furato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 04:59   Link #505
KaiDamien
Sua-ve-ke-va
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ve Land
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Yes, the animation was deliberatly slowed for dramatic effect, but you're understanding is way off.

Plot armor is when a character who should be dead for very physical reasons (caught in a definitely final cockpit explosion, caught inside a superweapon beam, reactor explosion, masked helmet off in space, etc.) is returned alive for no established reason until a later retcon. Things that should kill them don't merely by director fiat. You can make a case for that with Graham in the final of S1, though if Setsuna didn't die from a beamsaber into the cockpit, then Graham didn't need to either.
I disagree that plot armour doesn't occur only when a character who should be dead for very physical reasons. Plot armour occurs to Graham because he have importance later on in the series/plot device, just like when the 3 other gundams appeared during Masurao with 00 , and Masurao not being shot down when Masurao was in the air standing still with no beams hitting Masurao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Setsuna not killing Graham is not plot armor, it's Setsuna's character development. That was the entire point of that fight; Graham was twisted into someone who only wanted to fight to win, while Setsuna was finally Innovating towards a future where he wouldn't have to fight. Setsuna is not most people and he doesn't do what people "usually" do; he doesn't kill without a reason, and once the battle is over he doesn't go around finishing off pilots. He never has. He fights while others still fight, but once they stop and can't fight back he stops. That was the difference between Setsuna and Graham after two seasons of developing; Graham came to live only to fight, but Setsuna now only fights to live for the future.

Now, if Graham survived a beam/stab through the cockpit, or stood unharmed through a Memento Mori blast, or had a machine that took shots that by all accounts should have torn his suit to pieces but didn't even leave a scratch, that would be plot armor. But if he stands in space and Setsuna sees no reason to kill him and flies off, yes, in search of Louise, that's not plot armor. That's Setsuna choosing not to kill him.
Setsuna have two instances of killing Graham throughout the match, the most obvious is the beam stab to the shoulders.Setsuna thinks he disarm Graham ,he would have immediately flew off in search for Louise just like the other episodes where he searched for Louise after disarming the enemy. If he thought he hadn't disarm he would do it immediately but didnt in this case as he thought he had disarm Graham's unit.

Last edited by KaiDamien; 2009-03-27 at 10:07.
KaiDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 06:09   Link #506
vspirit
...huh?
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenemis View Post
No, Ibrahim is quite normal; I forgot to mention that as an exclusion, sorry if I offended you.
Hm? No offense taken. =)

Change of subject, Setsuna sure makes a more convincing Middle-Easterner than say...Quatre. To me, anyway.

Last edited by vspirit; 2009-03-27 at 11:02.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-27, 12:06   Link #507
Zenemis
Megabuddy
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia.
Age: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by furato View Post
Er, no. Soran's written name in Japanese has always been ソラン・イブラヒム (soran iburahimu).
Sigh. Yes, but Ebrahim would be エブラヒム, unless it was pronounced the same as Ibrahim. I haven't heard of an "Ebrahim", but I'll take Tokkan word on its pronunciation. Regardless, it's a lot more unusual than Ibrahim, to my knowledge.
__________________
Zenemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 15:32   Link #508
FerrisWheel
Earl of Cookies
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lala Land
Age: 22
[QUOTE=wingzerosnuggles;2187413]@justpassingby Actually, there's a continuation to that:

Spoiler for Setsuna/Marina - Might Not Be Work Safe:


[QUOTE]

Oh my......
__________________
FerrisWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 22:34   Link #509
GN0010 Nosferatu
Burning Red!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hargenteen
Age: 25
Where did that picture come from?

Last edited by GN0010 Nosferatu; 2009-09-27 at 23:15.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 04:25   Link #510
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Inside Mugino's Pantsu *_*
Quote:
Originally Posted by furato View Post
Ibrahim or Ebrahim, they're both still إبراهيم‎ in the original language, just like different romanisation can give us Kujoh or Kujou.

But if it's officially Ebrahim, it must have been taken verbatim from the name of the Turtles Can Fly actor.
its ibrahim, islam's prophet. i can read arab.
__________________
hamazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.