AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-12-13, 06:16   Link #1
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (New Isao Takahata film)

http://www.kaguyahime-monogatari.jp/

Kaguya-hime no Monogatari (The Story of Princess Kaguya)
Original Work: The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter
Concept/Script/Director: Isao Takahata
Script: Sakaguchi Riko
Music: Shinichiro Ikebe
Animation Production: Studio Ghibli

The long awaited new film by Takahata will finally be released in Japan in Summer 2013. This is Ghibli's version of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, a famous Japanese folk tale. It has been in production for a few years, and Takahata has been talking about directing it for an even longer time. This is also Takahata's first new film in 14 years.

duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-13, 07:12   Link #2
Warm Mist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Consider me hyped. Takahata is the best director at Ghibli for me, and seeing him do a new project is wonderful. I'm confident this movie will be great, if it has this much time and thought invested into it.

Don't know much about the folktale, but seems interesting enough. Eager to see Ghibli and Takahata's vision of it.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-14, 06:35   Link #3
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Don't know the director or his work but it's Taketori Monogatari...that's always a draw for me.
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 05:51   Link #4
dresden
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Oh cool, I love One Piece.
dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-07, 14:31   Link #5
Nikkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Looking forward to seeing more about this, tale of the bamboo cutter is one of my favorites (still crossing my fingers for the continuation of Howl's Castle to be animated one day though).

Let's hope for such endearing Kaguya design as in Okami, yes?
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 18:07   Link #6
Warm Mist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M6tfi0aAV8

It's beautiful.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 19:02   Link #7
Lenneth4
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dakar
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
WOW ! o_o
Dat animation.
Lenneth4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 19:41   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
This is a good summer to be a Ghibli fan...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 19:59   Link #9
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 25
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Takahata movie. Hell yea. Always been much more of a fan of him then miyazaki so I'm looking forward to this.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 20:14   Link #10
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Must watch Ghibli movie!!!!!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 13:53   Link #11
Warm Mist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
It's due time this thread got bumped.
New trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7gkBz9Lwpg

And well, since it's not in the thread, the film opens in Japan the 23rd of November.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-26, 23:05   Link #12
Flower
Cute as a button! ^^
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In a Half-broken music box....
Been waiting for this one for a looooong time now. ^^
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 22:01   Link #13
Leo_Otaku
俺たち は リトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Looks interesting i would like to check this out I was afraid that uncut animation was the style and it had me worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkan View Post
(still crossing my fingers for the continuation of Howl's Castle to be animated one day though).
I would rather they not, they did not do the the first book justice at all. Also, the other books don't have Sophie and Howl as main characters so they aren't really too much of a sequel. They would be better off doing some of the Crestomanci ones, but i don't want they to ruin another book.

Last edited by Leo_Otaku; 2013-10-27 at 22:12.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 03:41   Link #14
Warm Mist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Why does nobody care about the good anime ;_;

Three-minute trailer. Looking as great as ever, with that delicious Takahata realism applied to this aesthetic.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 10:41   Link #15
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Why does nobody care about the good anime ;_;

Three-minute trailer. Looking as great as ever, with that delicious Takahata realism applied to this aesthetic.
It's not that I don't care, it's that right about everything I see from this film leaves me speechless (in a great way)
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 13:06   Link #16
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Why does nobody care about the good anime ;_;

Three-minute trailer. Looking as great as ever, with that delicious Takahata realism applied to this aesthetic.
It's something that prob only an animation fan will love. "The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter" is not exactly a "happy", "fun" or "action" title.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 10:08   Link #17
c933103
FTNR
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hong Kong, UTC+8
In Japan market the film's reception aren't quite good...would it fight back in oversea market?
c933103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 05:13   Link #18
Vegard Aune
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by c933103 View Post
In Japan market the film's reception aren't quite good...would it fight back in oversea market?
It isn't? I admittedly haven't managed to really check what people are saying about it myself due to being utterly useless at reading kanji, but I basically went and saw this movie on the premiere day because... I had nothing better to do that day... and I was surprised by just how much I ended up liking the movie. Now, calling it my favorite non-Miyazaki film from Studio Ghibli would be damning it with faint praise as it is the only one I've seen which he had no involvment in, but I can say that I thought it was a movie that worked on pretty much every level (Well, I didn't much care for the first 10-15 minutes or so, but then again this is an extremely Japanese movie, and Japan apparently does not share Hollywood's opinion that the first scene of a movie needs to instantly grab the audience's attention), and it's probably my fourth favorite Ghibli movie overall. (For the record, the top 3 for me would be Porco Rosso, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.)

So if it's true that this movie is getting a lukewarm reception in general, then this fact kinda saddens me.
__________________
Thinking of stuff to put in a signature is hard...
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 12:48   Link #19
c933103
FTNR
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hong Kong, UTC+8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
It isn't? I admittedly haven't managed to really check what people are saying about it myself due to being utterly useless at reading kanji, but I basically went and saw this movie on the premiere day because... I had nothing better to do that day... and I was surprised by just how much I ended up liking the movie. Now, calling it my favorite non-Miyazaki film from Studio Ghibli would be damning it with faint praise as it is the only one I've seen which he had no involvment in, but I can say that I thought it was a movie that worked on pretty much every level (Well, I didn't much care for the first 10-15 minutes or so, but then again this is an extremely Japanese movie, and Japan apparently does not share Hollywood's opinion that the first scene of a movie needs to instantly grab the audience's attention), and it's probably my fourth favorite Ghibli movie overall. (For the record, the top 3 for me would be Porco Rosso, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.)

So if it's true that this movie is getting a lukewarm reception in general, then this fact kinda saddens me.
In fact I just discovered I'd used a wrong word...what I meant was boxoffice...
Reception-wise, just randomly checking a site, it is above average although not exceptionally high..http://eiga.com/movie/ranking/review/monthly/
c933103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 19:21   Link #20
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post

Don't know much about the folktale, but seems interesting enough. Eager to see Ghibli and Takahata's vision of it.
Long story short. An old man Bamboo Cutter finds a baby in bamboo with some gold. He and his wife raises her as their own daughter. He beauty and yellow hair attracts lots of guys and is asked for her hand in marriage. She sends these guys to wild goose chases as condition. She does not want to be married. Even the emperor of Japan falls for her.

It turns out...
Spoiler:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ghibli, takahata

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.