AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-11-04, 10:16   Link #9701
GlassesLady
dat apple
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: I'm aliens
Not sure I like Ruka declaring she loves being an idol after all. I feel like this wasn't what we were shown before at all... plus, what does this mean for her manga-drawing dream? Is she still going to pursue both of those things? I suppose we'll have another chapter or two to wrap this up that might shed light on that, but still...

The insight into Hayate's feelings about his parents was nice.

Oh well, on to Athena's return and Nagi getting the apartment back, one of which I care about more than the other. :P

Oh, and did Hina actually contribute anything here besides resigning Hayate to the trunk? The doctor knew where Ruka's parents were, Hayate convinced them to come, but Hina... did what, exactly?
__________________
Let me show you my Pokemans.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 11:07   Link #9702
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
From the sounds of it, somehow helped save some patients' lives.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 13:59   Link #9703
AstroNerdBoy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I disagree. I was interested when Ruka said she was continuing her idol career because she had no choice, but now Hata threw all that out the window just to go back to the clichéd "I actually love my job after all!" development.

Ruka could have been happy for things in her life other than her work. I'm disappointed Hata didn't go that route.
The thing is, although you see it as clichéd, I felt all along that the main thing driving Ruka was the fact that she actually loved her job. Trust me, if you don't love your job, you may still do a good job, but you only do what it takes to get you through. Ruka was showing all along that she was more than willing to go above an beyond to do her job, whether it was the long hours, practice, or training to do something she didn't know (like learning to ride a bike with Hayate). You have to love what you are doing to go the extra mile.

So for me, her loving her job is the natural and logical way to go based on what we'd seen of her to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
so I guess Ruka will disappear from the series now as her route is done... she lost the match so she lost hayate in a way...
For the most part, yeah. However, we know she'll remain friends with Nagi and company, so there are still opportunities for her to drop by and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
With Ruka safely on a trip and out of the spotlight for a considerable amount of time, (And I don't think she'll ever get the spotlight back, really.) I suppose we'll be moving on to Athena getting her memories back. I have a feeling it will all coincide with Nagi getting her mansion back but you never quite know what Hata will do, so we'll see.
I think you are right. Athena wasn't part of CTMEOY, IIRC. So I figure she will now take center stage with Nagi. However, before that happens, I expect Hata-sensei to shift to gag stories for a while, at least through January. I could be wrong though. He always seems to fret when the manga focuses on plot for a few chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Finally this arc is over. I hope. While Ruka was a good character, this arc was just tedious. It's already been 13 volumes (this arc goes through the first 3 chapters or so of volume 39, if my count is correct, and the Greece arc ended in volume 25), and I feel very little has actually happened. We got Ruka, who will likely disappear, we got that other roommate who has done so little I cannot even remember her name, and Nagi grew a little. But that's really not much considering it took a third of the entire manga's print run.
There were other plot threads touched on during this period, including the main plot. Hata-sensei does things differently than others when it comes to arcs. With the doujinshi contest, it wove in and out of things. So while this sub-plot went on a long time, other elements coming in kept delaying it from getting a resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
For me, the Ruka resolution was a complete convenient "Deus Ex Machina". Either I've completely slept through several chapters, or the "hey, let's find the parents" resolution was 100% undeveloped.
Her parents showing up was planned for a while with the inclusion of Kurosu, but having them show up at the end was not what many expected, at least that I saw. I had thought that we'd see Hayate, Hina, and Kurosu doing the whole "find Ruka's parents" stuff starting with the current chapter, but Hata-sensei seems keen on pressing forward instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I'll concede that in the end, Nagi did show some growth - that's the good news. Now let's see if Hata allows this growth to be permanent, or if we have another relapse (what I fear).
I understand the fear, but I don't think that will happen. I'm rereading the manga at the moment (slowly) and I'm up to the part where Nagi gets the part-time job. I now see that this is where Hata-sensei steered Nagi on the path she is currently on. She's been growing steadily since then, both in terms of understanding work, but in terms of learning what it means to be a manga-ka.
__________________
AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 18:21   Link #9704
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
Her parents showing up was planned for a while with the inclusion of Kurosu, but having them show up at the end was not what many expected, at least that I saw.
Er, what? Reference please. Where were the whereabouts of Ruka's parents ever referenced before? For me this came totally out of the blue. And I still don't see what Hina and Kurosu were needed for that.

Quote:
I understand the fear, but I don't think that will happen. I'm rereading the manga at the moment (slowly) and I'm up to the part where Nagi gets the part-time job. I now see that this is where Hata-sensei steered Nagi on the path she is currently on. She's been growing steadily since then, both in terms of understanding work, but in terms of learning what it means to be a manga-ka.
Oh, really? Then you see more than I do. The exactly two differences I could make out were that after Chiharu called her out, Nagi persevered for ONCE, and that she was willing to honor the bet (though I felt she made the call too easily - an impulsive decision like her crushing of the jewel in the Greece arc).

Well, let's wait and see.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-04, 19:24   Link #9705
madmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Er, what? Reference please. Where were the whereabouts of Ruka's parents ever referenced before? For me this came totally out of the blue. And I still don't see what Hina and Kurosu were needed for that.
No one ever came out and said RUKA'S PARENTS but it was super obvious that Kurosu had some sort of connection to Ruka or her family, she was able to tell Hayate something instantly shocking and understandable during the concert, and the one part of the trip we did see of Hayate and Co was going to a house in Hokkaido. With the earlier reveal that Kayura met Ruka very early on in Hokkaido the inferences were fairly clear. There were more then enough clues that a lot of people were speculating about the parent angle well before it happened.

It wasn't some crazy out of nowhere reveal with no prior build-up, even if the resolution felt a little rushed.

Quote:
Oh, and did Hina actually contribute anything here besides resigning Hayate to the trunk? The doctor knew where Ruka's parents were, Hayate convinced them to come, but Hina... did what, exactly?
Well coming along was Hina's decision, she didn't need any special skills for that. Even so she got credited with helping save someones life, Ruka's parents were apparently still recuperating and it sounds like Hayate and co have been busy helping organize everything with getting started on their new business, contacting Atsumari to re-assume the debt and so on. You'll notice that Ruka's manager is outside chatting with Hina about halfway through the chapter. At this point I think that's as much of an explanation as we'll get. This chapter was timed so that we'd get reveals on what both Ruka and Hayate/Kurosu have been up to the last two weeks all at once, which is probably why it feels so busy.

Edit: I also don't think character regression is a serious concern at this point. The summer arc was a long, sprawling thing, with most of the character development/payoff at the end. I would not be surprised if part of that was a combination of Hata needing to assist with the anime as well as stalling for time on the next arc, because frankly I don't think this series has more then one mega-arc left to tell. One small arc that leads into a bigger one perhaps, but not two long arcs.

Besides, no sane author shifts from spinning his wheels for months to sprinting through the conclusion because he has no idea what he's going to do afterwards.

He did call the manga 60% done almost two years ago, after all. What would it be now? 75%? 80%?

With that in mind, I expect that Nagi getting her mansion back will just be a lead in for the last arc, just like the summer arc started with the search for the Violet Mansion.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-11-10 at 09:23.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 16:34   Link #9706
AdventSleeper
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Finally the arc is over. I'm looking forward to seeing something different.
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 17:44   Link #9707
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
The thing is, although you see it as clichéd, I felt all along that the main thing driving Ruka was the fact that she actually loved her job. Trust me, if you don't love your job, you may still do a good job, but you only do what it takes to get you through. Ruka was showing all along that she was more than willing to go above an beyond to do her job, whether it was the long hours, practice, or training to do something she didn't know (like learning to ride a bike with Hayate). You have to love what you are doing to go the extra mile.

So for me, her loving her job is the natural and logical way to go based on what we'd seen of her to date.
No, you're imposing your own values regarding work ethics onto others. Believe it or not, some people have the will power to overachieve on their job not because they love it, but because it's a stepping stone to what they truly want out of their lives. That does not mean they love everything.

And if you're really going to bring up the bike riding chapter, that involves asking the man she loves for help. That does not prove that she loves her job.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 11:58   Link #9708
SigUp
Lovely Kiririn
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
That traveling doctor sure knows many people. Now she has also stumbled across Hayate's brother in the past. Hopefully this leads to a good arc. That entire manga competition business was boring and dragged out in my opinion.
__________________
SigUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 12:39   Link #9709
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
That entire manga competition business was boring and dragged out in my opinion.
Definitely. And Hata is really looking for a way to oust Ruka from the series, it seems. "Let's compete again!", "Sure, but let's wait 10 years". Guess the most we'll see of her from here on are cameo appearances of her being an idol.

Ruka, please do us a favor and take Kayura with you too.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 12:41   Link #9710
Shadow5YA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Ruka: "I didn't lose on purpose! It was because of this scary mask that I had to wear for some reason!"

Really, Ruka? Really?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 12:43   Link #9711
ChronoReverse
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Ruka: "I didn't lose on purpose! It was because of this scary mask that I had to wear for some reason!"

Really, Ruka? Really?
You're taking it too seriously, she's just riling up Nagi so that she wouldn't keep thinking about the single book Ruka didn't sell out.


Also, I'm looking forward to the next arc if it's about finding Hayate's brother. However, unlike some people, I'm fully aware that it's likely we'll get lots of silly nonsense strips first

Last edited by ChronoReverse; 2013-11-11 at 14:21.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 13:29   Link #9712
MCAL
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Good thing I had recently re-read the Athena arc, because I would have probably forgot about Hayate's brother. Good thing Hata-sensei didn't.

Also Hata-sensei has answered the question to our debate a while back on whether Hayate would forgive his parents or if they would even apologize. So there you have it. And since this arc is now over. Still gonna say it was fantastic for doing what I thought impossible and gave Nagi significant character development and for making Ruka perhaps the best harem female character in quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Ruka: "I didn't lose on purpose! It was because of this scary mask that I had to wear for some reason!"

Really, Ruka? Really?
Yeah. Taking that way too seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
And Hata is really looking for a way to oust Ruka from the series, it seems. "Let's compete again!", "Sure, but let's wait 10 years". Guess the most we'll see of her from here on are cameo appearances of her being an idol.
I don't think that HAS to be the case.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 14:05   Link #9713
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
May not HAVE to be, but look at how every other character is treated once their respective arcs are over. And those are the characters that still go to the same school as Hayate and Nagi, as well as live with them! Ruka will have neither to keep her screen time.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 14:56   Link #9714
ChampDream
Alive
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: I'm lost
so the closure to this arc is finally done, now we finally going to know what happen to Hayate's brother, just hope it will more excited then the manga competition.
__________________
ChampDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 15:02   Link #9715
ices
Monadically Happy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Monadic Container
I've a feeling that we will get a time skip in not so distant future.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 15:09   Link #9716
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Wasn't it established (or at least, implied) that the story would end around the in-universe date of Christmas? They can't really afford to time-skip when there's only 4 months left until that.

Plus, if ever there were a time to do a time-skip, it would've been this awful arc that Hata telegraphed wouldn't mean much since the movie/anime already showed aftermath of it.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 15:15   Link #9717
ices
Monadically Happy
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Monadic Container
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wasn't it established (or at least, implied) that the story would end around the in-universe date of Christmas? They can't really afford to time-skip when there's only 4 months left until that.

Plus, if ever there were a time to do a time-skip, it would've been this awful arc that Hata telegraphed wouldn't mean much since the movie/anime already showed aftermath of it.
What if the time skip is after the date of Christmas? The Story will end at that date. But the beginning of a new adventure will happen ten years after that. Hence we get a 10-years time skip.

Well, it's just a guess.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 15:17   Link #9718
MCAL
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Plus, if ever there were a time to do a time-skip, it would've been this awful arc that Hata telegraphed wouldn't mean much since the movie/anime already showed aftermath of it.
Well the movie/anime showed the aftermath of part of the plot too (In regards to Nagi getting her mansion back), so I mean I don't see the difference. There's not a lot of suspense in this next arc either. How it all happens is what matters. The same goes for the doujinshi arc.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 16:16   Link #9719
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Xanadu
Age: 22
from the title, I almost think we're having time skip... thanks God... it's Hata-sensei... no way he would do that

will the plot moved??? I'm sure Hayate's bro will have some clue to advance the story
__________________

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-11, 16:28   Link #9720
AstroNerdBoy
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
No, you're imposing your own values regarding work ethics onto others. Believe it or not, some people have the will power to overachieve on their job not because they love it, but because it's a stepping stone to what they truly want out of their lives. That does not mean they love everything.
I agree with that. At the same time, it is still a chore that one has to do. I never got the vibe from the manga that Ruka truly felt being an idol was a chore. Had Ruka not met Hayate, I doubt she would ever have entertained the idea of quitting as an idol. But, that's just the way I saw things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
That traveling doctor sure knows many people. Now she has also stumbled across Hayate's brother in the past. Hopefully this leads to a good arc. That entire manga competition business was boring and dragged out in my opinion.
It looks like Dr. Kurosu was brought in explicitly to move certain plot threads forward or even to a conclusion, as happened with Ruka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Ruka, please do us a favor and take Kayura with you too.
Well, we already know that isn't happening. ^_^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
Also, I'm looking forward to the next arc if it's about finding Hayate's brother. However, unlike some people, I'm fully aware that it's likely we'll get lots of silly nonsense strips first
I thought the gag chapters would start with this one. I was surprised to get more aftermath and a touch on Hayate's brother.

Still, Hayate's brother would seem to be required to get Athena's story going again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
I've a feeling that we will get a time skip in not so distant future.
I think the only time skips will be for the CTMEOY story. Since the story in the movie covers a very short period of time, skipping that really doesn't count, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAL View Post
Well the movie/anime showed the aftermath of part of the plot too (In regards to Nagi getting her mansion back), so I mean I don't see the difference. There's not a lot of suspense in this next arc either. How it all happens is what matters. The same goes for the doujinshi arc.
I agree. It is the journey that's the fun part. For the doujinshi arc, I liked the journey. I didn't know for sure how Hata-sensei would pull it off and have Nagi triumph over Ruka, but the journey there was fun to me.
__________________
AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.