AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-11-08, 14:32   Link #3501
Jimmy C

They probably needed every feature-length animated movie they could get to have enough nominations for this year's award. It doesn't have much chance of being nominated.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-08, 15:26   Link #3502
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN Answerman
ANN reported this week that 19 animated feature films are eligible to be nominated for an Academy Award. I was disappointed that Mamoru Hosoda's "Wolf Children" wasn't on the list. I remember hearing on a podcast (probably the ANNCast) that applying for qualification just to be nominated for an Academy Award is a time-consuming and expensive process, but considering all the attention nominated films get, I would think it would be worth it (especially now that judges can be sent screeners). And, hey, in a year full of weak American animated films like this one, you just might win!

So what are the pros and cons of trying to get your limited-release Japanese film nominated for an Oscar? Why would Aniplex attempt to get the third Madoka Magica movie nominated, but Funimation skip out on a chance to let Wolf Children go for the gold?

Every year, when Oscar season comes around, I kind of dread having to see anime fans wring their hands about Japan's chances at taking home a statue. I dread it because nearly everybody around the world still sees the Oscars as a real, albeit vaguely subjective, contest about picking the best movies of the year. And it's just not true. They are a cynical, political, money and power-soaked marketing institution that is incredibly effective at both raising up its own, and keeping outsiders away. Even in this age of cynicism and distrust in institutions, for some reason both filmmakers around the world and movie fans still take it way, way more seriously than it deserves.

Let's take a step back and see what it actually takes to win an Oscar. It's true, you need at least a decent film, and Wolf Children most certainly qualifies. You also need a multi-million dollar campaign to drum up support for the film's nomination, buying ads in trade websites and publications. You need to send out screener discs, hold special screenings, and pay to have the film screened in New York and Los Angeles for a week. You need to hire a publicist to get the film into the press, or sometimes leak venomous stories about rivals. The whole thing is basically an election.

The money at stake is enormous. An Oscar winner can get an extended theatrical release (or re-release) and bring in hundreds millions of dollars of additional revenue for the film. Long-term, being able to call your film an Oscar winner means it can likely do better on home video, among decades of re-releases, and even on television. It adds marketing value to the names of everyone involved. And most importantly, it's a giant ego stroke to be involved with an Oscar winner. And in movies, you cannot underestimate the importance of a good ego-wank.

So who, then, decides the winners? Who makes up the members of the Academy? Well, it's almost entirely geriatric actors. Many of them are long since retired from filmmaking. Some have had a lifetime of other careers. And old people, as a demographic, have a few things in common. As anyone who has tried to show anime to older relatives and family friends can attest to, they tend not to really "get" anime. I hate to generalize, but many people that age have an extremely outdated concept of what is Japanese (Exotic and foreign!), consider animation to be a medium for kids, and are thinking a lot about death.

Here are a few examples. Japan's most recent Oscar-winner, a decidedly middle-of-the-road drama called Departures, was about dealing with the death of a loved one. Don Hertzfeldt's now-legendary animated short film Rejected was nominated for an Oscar in 2000, but lost to a now-completely forgotten Dutch short about the death of a parent. Koji Yamamura's amazing Mt. Head lost in 2002 to a CG comedy short released with Men In Black II called The ChubbChubbs!

Why did Spirited Away win Best Animated Film in 2002? Because Disney, Pixar, and John Lasseter, lacking a release of their own to push that year, got behind it and gave it a lavish Oscar campaign, likely to ensure Dreamworks Animation would walk away empty-handed. That sort of push by moneyed showbiz institutions is unlikely to happen a second time. There's an outside chance the Academy will remember Miyazaki this year for The Wind Rises, since he's now "part of the club" and has announced his retirement. (Also, The Wind Rises is getting a Disney release, so there's that.)

But aside from Miyazaki, I don't think the members of the Academy are likely to ever "get" anime, and are extremely unlikely to reward it. It just doesn't fit their demographic, and virtually none of the companies that release it can afford the expense of a coordinated Oscar push. Japanese creators often dream of an Oscar, as do countless indie filmmakers every year. They spend a combined fortune on Oscar-qualifier screenings, but without deep pockets and a coordinated strategy, their plans tend to be gigantic wastes of money.

Even at the mainstream level, Oscars tend to go to the prestige films being pushed by major distributors. As entertainment changes and more interesting filmmakers go the indie, low-end distribution route, and more big movie companies forget how to market anything that isn't a superhero movie, I really have taken a jaundiced view of the whole Oscar ritual. The awards are not relevant artistically, often miss the mark socially, and languidly showcase old-Hollywood in a dull-as-dirt presentation that seems like it's ripped from 1974. I honestly don't understand why people care.
Yeah it won't win. There are more than enough Disney competitors.

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 02:04   Link #3503
Laevatein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman Entertainment
Madoka Magica Movie: Rebellion, will be screening in Aus and Auckland, NZ Feb 1 & 2, 2014. More to be confirmed before the screenings!
Another three months to wait and avoid spoilers down under...
Laevatein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-12, 02:08   Link #3504
Julio C

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
So any screenings for the L.A. area?
Old 2013-11-12, 02:48   Link #3505
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
So any screenings for the L.A. area?
Someone's selling premiere tickets in eBay. As for L.A. screenings, it's from December 6-12

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 21:43   Link #3506
00Coyote

And a wall of Trucks crushed all hope into despair.

I'm not sure where to post this particular rant, so I'll try general.

Today, December 7th 2013.
First showing of the 3rd Madoka Magica, that is anywhere close to where I live.
Close in this case is 3-4 hours away, depending on traffic and weather.
You should immediately see where this is going.

First the weather. I live in Texas, a region not known for it's mild summers and wet
freezing winters. On Thursday, a cold front descended and gifted us with a peculiar
meteorological phenomenon called 'Wintery Mix'. The exact composition varies,
but in this case it transforms the mildly cold, dry Texas landscape into a 1,000 mile
wild ice rink, complete with 18-wheel trucks playing hockey on the interstate with
passenger cars desperately trying to avoid becoming the puck.

3-4 hours away, depending on traffic and weather.
Weather is now in play. I'll leave at 7:00 A.M. which gives me 8 hours to make
it to the destination theater. Plenty of time, right?

A little before noon, Despair engulf and surrounds me as I run face first into a wall of trucks.

When I say a wall of trucks, there is no hyperbole here.

A. WALL. OF. TRUCKS.

Stacked 2 deep, from horizon to horizon. A (nominally) moving, diesel burning
Great Wall of China, except this is the southern United States, and it is parked on
the surface I need to drive on. It is too far south to be of any use to deter the
voracious Canadian Mongrel Horde that grow restless in the winter.
It's just there,chillin' on the Interstate.

After 2 hours of sulking among the crevices of this peculiar new defensive peremiter
I finally made my daring escape down some treacherous ice covered back road,
and began my winding trip back home, sliding, dodging and avoiding all sorts of
unnatural hazards not usually found in these parts.

3-4 hours away, depending on traffic and weather. Ick.

Summary

Time spent in a car: 13 Hours
Time spent watching the 3rd Madoka Magica Movie: 0 seconds
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-07, 22:04   Link #3507
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Holy mother, man. I'm so sorry.
Old 2013-12-08, 18:52   Link #3508
Soverence

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Holy mother, man. I'm so sorry.
Yeah, what that guy said. I wonder what was going on that such a backup of trucks happened? At most I have ever been delayed on the highway was like 2-3 hours before x.x
Soverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 13:47   Link #3509
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

I think it's speaks for itself. http://www.change.org/petitions/inte...dokami-nebula#

I fucking love you internet.
Old 2013-12-20, 16:57   Link #3510
Homucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
I think it's speaks for itself. http://www.change.org/petitions/inte...dokami-nebula#

I fucking love you internet.
That's old.
Homucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-23, 14:02   Link #3511
Gx Hero
Rambler

Some images and comments on the 3rd madoka movie

Spoiler for Interesting images:

http://nanohamanga.webs.com/

Links to other Nanoha stories on animesuki

http://www.mediafire.com/view/yp9qlj...e%20links.docx

Last edited by Gx Hero; 2014-01-24 at 19:27.
Gx Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 16:29   Link #3512
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Wow, uh, mark your spoilers?
Old 2014-01-24, 17:53   Link #3513
Gx Hero
Rambler

Sorry about that

http://nanohamanga.webs.com/

Links to other Nanoha stories on animesuki

http://www.mediafire.com/view/yp9qlj...e%20links.docx
Gx Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-24, 18:02   Link #3514
GDB

You spoiler tagged the wrong part.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 21:59   Link #3515
LightDragonman

I just wanted to post this here. Some guy made a very critical review of the series, and I admit that some of the points are legit. What say you on them, since you guys really enjoy the show?

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...069&attid=7858
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 23:20   Link #3516
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
I just wanted to post this here. Some guy made a very critical review of the series, and I admit that some of the points are legit. What say you on them, since you guys really enjoy the show?

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...069&attid=7858
Some counter-arguments below.

Spoiler for Madoka Magica spoilers:

He raises at least one good point. Yes, Madoka Magica launched at an opportune time. 2009 and 2010 were indeed two relatively weak years in anime, so Madoka Magica really did fill a growing anime fandom appetite for a more thought-provoking and discussion-rich work.

However, I think he exaggerates even this point a bit. 2011 would go on to be a very good year, with titles like Steins;Gate, AnoHana, Mawaru Penguin Drum, Usagi Drop, and Tiger and Bunny. Madoka still did extremely well in end of year awards (both here on Anime Suki and also on the anime blogosphere), generally finishing neck-and-neck with Steins;Gate. So even if PMMM had came out in 2006, I think it still would have had a significant impact and been very well-received, though its impact might have been a bit less.

All of the above being said... Meh, every anime show has people that don't like it or don't get it. It's not something to lose sleep over. Having some viewers who don't see the greatness in a widely acclaimed show doesn't make it any less great. There's no anime show that's universally loved.

One final point, though - I do think that those who never followed Madoka Magica live, on a week-by-week basis, when the show originally aired, really did miss out. Massively. I think a lot of the strengths and charms of this show was about it totally maximizing the week-to-week episode viewing experience. I would imagine that watching the entire show in a day or two is nowhere close to as good an experience. But I don't consider that a flaw of the show. Maximing your medium's format is a good idea. In this case, it's just unfortunate that those who pick it up later on won't get to appreciate it as much. The week-to-week speculation, and gradually building plot heaviness, was a huge part of a great viewing experience for me back in 2011.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2014-02-08 at 23:35.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 23:34   Link #3517
LightDragonman

Very well said.

Also, on the note of Madoka's reception, I can't help but feel that this show may have marked a turning point for anime in the New Tens. Think about it. Before Madoka, most of the shows that were being released were slice-of-life moe dramas. After the mega success of Madoka, suddenly more anime that tried to do more than that began to appear. This was expanded on this year, with Attack On Titan following in its shoes and delivering a hard-hitting and mature action series. Heck, this year has a whole bunch of dark and gritty manga being made into anime, such as Akame Ga Kiru, Parasyte, and Terraformars.

I think that Madoka and Titan may have ultimately heralded a paradigm shift in the trends of the anime medium, as the mega success of both shows proved that the community is ready for something more mature and thought-provoking. What say you?
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 23:52   Link #3518
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post

I think that Madoka and Titan may have ultimately heralded a paradigm shift in the trends of the anime medium, as the mega success of both shows proved that the community is ready for something more mature and thought-provoking. What say you?
I do think that this is a good time for grittier, somewhat plot-heavy, action-packed shows. Yes, that is a similarity between Madoka Magica and Titan. I wouldn't be surprised if you see something like FMA in the near future.
Old 2014-02-09, 00:05   Link #3519
Hiss13
OHAYO GOZAIMOMO~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One final point, though - I do think that those who never followed Madoka Magica live, on a week-by-week basis, when the show originally aired, really did miss out. Massively. I think a lot of the strengths and charms of this show was about it totally maximizing the week-to-week episode viewing experience. I would imagine that watching the entire show in a day or two is nowhere close to as good an experience. But I don't consider that a flaw of the show. Maximing your medium's format is a good idea. In this case, it's just unfortunate that those who pick it up later on won't get to appreciate it as much. The week-to-week speculation, and gradually building plot heaviness, was a huge part of a great viewing experience for me back in 2011.
This is well-put. I honestly don't think I would have liked Madoka Magica as much as I did if I didn't follow it as it was airing on a week-by-week basis.
Old 2014-02-09, 00:27   Link #3520
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
This is well-put. I honestly don't think I would have liked Madoka Magica as much as I did if I didn't follow it as it was airing on a week-by-week basis.
I don't think it's a good show for marathoning, or even watching in 2/3 sittings of a few episode chunks each. For newcomers to the show, I'd encourage an episode a day approach (or even a slower consumption, if that works for a new viewer).

There's a lot of little subtle moments/lines in Madoka Magica that are liable to get missed or glossed over if someone marathons the show.

The actions and words of the main cast characters are very purposeful, very economical. So really getting the characters takes a careful "put your feet in their shoes" approach. This is easier, of course, if you're watching just one episode a week, and spend a fair bit of time thinking about each episode after you watch it.

I think this is why a fair number of viewers don't get the appeal and strength of the characters themselves - It is admittedly a bit easy to miss if you don't carefully think through their actions and try to figure out what is being said by them and why they're doing what they're doing.

It's the opposite of a long-running shounen, where I find watching in big clumps is the only way to avoid massive impatience and not get tired of how hard certain plot points/character traits get hammered home.

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen