AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-12-05, 08:07   Link #461
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Avast! (free antivirus version, not the whole shebang) and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) are the free pieces of software most recommended nowadays: MSE is very light on resources (though total system scans can take a long time compared to more resource-intensive engines and some antimalware certification sites keep clamoring to whomever is willing to listen that MSE's detection rate is dropping) and thus has little impact on performance, but Avast! is sometimes said to offer a lil' more than MSE. Avast's interface is also more sophisticated and offers more options...which can be good for those who like tweaking the hell out of their apps...or bad for those who don't like fiddling around.

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 08:34   Link #462
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
MSE might be light on resources, but it slows down the startup of certain applications so I wouldn't even recommend it.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-05, 22:05   Link #463
spikexp

Avast is a good free antivirus and seem to be the most popular right now. But no antivirus is perfect, it's only as good as the user of the computer.
Don't download everything without knowing what you are doing.
Use thing like adblock (unlock the website that you know are good, so that they can make money) and noscript.

And there are many more thing you can do that can even justify not needing and antivirus.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-06, 18:36   Link #464
Tiberium Wolf

I too support avast. One thing ppl that dont talk about is the interface of the programs. If they sux no matter how good the job the program does it will affect the way you use. Can't find options or can't understand it's functions are really annoying points. From the several AV I have seen avast has the best interface.

Anyway currently I am not using avast because I need firewall too so I use COMODO Internet Security (free). Avast Internet Security is not free. Anyway COMODO is my 2nd choice.
Old 2013-12-13, 02:09   Link #465
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So it's either Avast, MSE or Comodo Internet Security.

Along with AVG, which of these use the less resources?
Old 2014-04-16, 07:50   Link #466
Sammy388

VHS:I dunno if this qualifies for the kind of software people are looking for but I had a great experience with this vhs converter. I had the hardest time finding a software that would let me convert vhs tapes and let me edit the footage afterwards. I was originally going to use a conversion service where you send in your tapes and they send you back a dvd but they charged like $20/tape! It seems like you can try out the converter for free for 30 days.

GIFs: GIMP is always great to use. It's user-friendly and best of all it's free. I've heard a lot of people use photoshop but I don't really want to shell out the money just for making gifs ya know? Anyways, I absolutely recommend GIMP as well.

Media Player: VLC or MPLayer. Both have a built-in ffmpeg decoder so either is sufficient for me.

Video Editing: Still not sure if Final Cut Pro or Adobe after effects is better. I guess it depends on what you'd like to use it for (project-wise). FCP seemed more common within the business but now that seems to be shifting. Hollywood editors seem to vary with which they use so I say look at both and decide which fits your editing preferences more I personally like FCP but that's what I started on so I might be biased...
Sammy388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 15:09   Link #467
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I like SMPlayer as a front-end to mplayer. There are builds for both Linux and Windows. Linux users will find smplayer and mplayer in the repositories. Usually installing smplayer brings in mplayer automatically as a "dependency." The developer of SMplayer, "rvm," offers a Windows version that includes both programs here.

Tags
software