AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-12-31, 18:56   Link #141
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

I've submitted 3 new classes.

Bikies, Hunters and Medicinemen to replace Samurai, Swashbucklers and Summoners in Oceania.

Kannagi remain the same, but visually they resemble the Aboriginal Australian spirit healers.

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 19:31   Link #142
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Was there a limit to how many "exclusive" classes in each region?
Old 2013-12-31, 19:37   Link #143
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

I could swear it was two. Usually replacing Kannagi AND Samurai.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 19:49   Link #144
Avaricia
My Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I could swear it was two. Usually replacing Kannagi AND Samurai.
Yeah it was only 2. Iirc correctly... the name of class are the only one's that are changed that's why the skills will remain the same as Japan :3

ex. Jap = Samurai
US = Pirate
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 19:52   Link #145
Sheba
Have a Yasen Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaricia View Post
Yeah it was only 2. Iirc correctly... the name of class are the only one's that are changed that's why the skills will remain the same as Japan :3

ex. Jap = Samurai
US = Pirate
It does make sense too. From a gaming point of view it will be a nightmare to balance ALL them class replacements. Look at what it did to the D&D3.5 tabletop, where it became a clusterfuck. And this is for a tabletop, whereas Elder Tales is supposed to be a fictional RPG.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 20:44   Link #146
chizzyman
Newbie Fiction Writer

Submitted mine:

SEA:
Samurai -> Raider (uses kris, jungle bolo, balisong)
Kannagi -> Faith Doctor (bare-handed class)

Set in SEA Server, parallel to novel story.
chizzyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 22:07   Link #147
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)

@MeisterBabylon:

Are you sure? I mean even if they share the same skill and theme, Kannagi still technically Miko

=

I have no new idea for Exclusive-Class....

However, I don't believe that other class need to change beyond Samurai and Kannagi (Besides.... why bother changing the name when the old name work just as well? )

Classes such as Guardian, Cleric...etc are generic/normal for a MMORPG and those with experience in RPG could easily tell what they are. The name is used so frequently that it become descriptive of what the class do.

Example:
the moment you see the name, you know

Guardian = Tank
Cleric = Healer
Assassin = DPS
Sorcerers= Magic Nuke
Summoner = Summon things

(In fact, that how some players view a game, culture stuff is seriously not that interesting to them compared to PvP)

=

Having Region Exclusive replacing certain class also means Players might even resort to using other Nation's server if they prefer foreign server's name/theme for certain class. (Samurai is pretty popular, there is little doubt that somebody out there would create Japanese Account just to play a Samurai-theme character).

Or even stay in that server if switching Server also means switching the Class's name and theme.

So hopefully, people don't go overboard with their nationalistic pride.
Old 2013-12-31, 23:25   Link #148
Estavali
あなたはそこにいますか

Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
However, I don't believe that other class need to change beyond Samurai and Kannagi (Besides.... why bother changing the name when the old name work just as well? )

Classes such as Guardian, Cleric...etc are generic/normal for a MMORPG and those with experience in RPG could easily tell what they are. The name is used so frequently that it become descriptive of what the class do.

Example:
the moment you see the name, you know

Guardian = Tank
Cleric = Healer
Assassin = DPS
Sorcerers= Magic Nuke
Summoner = Summon things

(In fact, that how some players view a game, culture stuff is seriously not that interesting to them compared to PvP)
Not when nationalism is involved. For example, players, especially Mainland and Korean players, could be quite unhappy that two of the available classes would have such strong Japanese flavors, especially when Elder Tale, unlike the online FFs, originated from America instead of Japan. It would also be strange why ET should lean so much towards Japan while the other Western MMOs like EQ and WOW don't.

Of course, there's also the fact that the Samurai and Kannagi themselves are localised classes based on the originals in NA_ET (the Pirate and Medium respectively). If Japan can have localised classes, why can't the rest of the world have theirs too? It helps to add to the flavor game imho =3

Quote:
Or even stay in that server if switching Server also means switching the Class's name and theme.
On this, Mamare has clarified that the main class remains unchanged even when the character moves to another server.

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-31, 23:43   Link #149
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I imagine a lot of American players google-fu-ed to create Japanese accounts just so they can create a Samurai character and transfer to US.
Old 2014-01-01, 00:06   Link #150
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Of course, there's also the fact that the Samurai and Kannagi themselves are localised classes based on the originals in NA_ET (the Pirate and Medium respectively). If Japan can have localised classes, why can't the rest of the world have theirs too? It helps to add to the flavor game imho =3
Good point. But most people are usually content with whatever class they are given.... until they find out that other Region has Exclusive.

Quote:
On this, Mamare has clarified that the main class remains unchanged even when the character moves to another server.
Ahh.... this does clarified something: It is possible to have player with Samurai and Pirate class in the same region. So.... if you don't like the Region Exclusive, you can always create an Over-sea account.
Old 2014-01-01, 00:11   Link #151
Ayulsa

Quote:
So.... if you don't like the Region Exclusive, you can always create an Over-sea account.
Unless account access is restricted based on your location, which it most likely is seeing as different servers have different subscription models.
Literally half the world would own a Korean F2P account otherwise.
Ayulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 00:30   Link #152
Lazgrane
Dimension Exploiter

Submitted:
Samurai -> Weapon Master (SEA)

Armor: Plate, Chain, Leather, Cloth.

Weapon: All kind of physical weapon

Hp high, Mp average.

Traditionally, it is believed that a true warrior must be able to use all kind of weapon perfectly. The Weapon Master is that true warrior. He tend to switch between different kind of weapon to cope with any situation, or focus on mastering one weapon to maximize its damage output. As the name suggest, he can use his weapon to do both offense and defense instead of relying on thick armor to absorb the damage.
Old 2014-01-01, 00:31   Link #153
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayulsa View Post
Unless account access is restricted based on your location, which it most likely is seeing as different servers have different subscription models.
Literally half the world would own a Korean F2P account otherwise.
Aww... this gotta suxs.

Not joking on that one....

I guess this means you really hated the Region Exclusive or really exasperate to play certain exclusive to go to extreme length.....
=

I hoped Mamare leave the usual class of Guardian, Assassin, Cleric and Sorcerer unchanged.

Because when people play western MMORPG, they do expect these classes. If you add local flavor to these class, it is hard to think the game as a Western RPG.
Old 2014-01-01, 00:33   Link #154
Estavali
あなたはそこにいますか

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I imagine a lot of American players google-fu-ed to create Japanese accounts just so they can create a Samurai character and transfer to US.
This reminds me of a SATW comic where Sisters America and Japan are shown to be fangrills of each other XD

Which means there might well be Japanese players who does the same just to flaunt their American-made Pirate or Medium

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 00:45   Link #155
DQueenie13

Quote:

I hoped Mamare leave the usual class of Guardian, Assassin, Cleric and Sorcerer unchanged.

Because when people play western MMORPG, they do expect these classes. If you add local flavor to these class, it is hard to think the game as a Western RPG.
I'm pretty sure it's just the Kannagi and Samurai classes that he really looks to change. Some of them might be reskins, just with a different name and maybe some slightly different moves.

For example, if he actually wanted to change Summoner, maybe it would be something like having Spirit Animals (a la Native American spirit animals); while the person might only have a handful of Spirit Animals, they're more well-rounded than other Summons and the Summoner can summon multiple "copies" of a Spirit Animal.
Old 2014-01-01, 00:47   Link #156
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
This reminds me of a SATW comic where Sisters America and Japan are shown to be fangrills of each other XD

Which means there might well be Japanese players who does the same just to flaunt their American-made Pirate or Medium
But I think there is a Pirate sub-class....

But can't exclude the possibility of a Japanese Player wanting to have full Pirate Character for fun....

Main Class: Pirate
Sub-class: Pirate

Edit: Yea... like a character from 8-bit theater.... Dual Class Ranger.

Second Edit: I think I will restrict my story to the sea and leave the land to the lawless (PvP'er).
Old 2014-01-01, 01:40   Link #157
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

I was thinking for the Chinese servers, since we don't have a history of warrior classes like the samurai....

Samurai -> General

Now obviously every culture has their great commanders but ours might just be a tiny bit more.... known in the gaming world ? I'm thinking of a certain long beard, red faced, heavy 2handed polearm wielding general.

Oh and Kannagi -> Taoist Priest, because why not?
Old 2014-01-01, 01:47   Link #158
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I was thinking for the Chinese servers, since we don't have a history of warrior classes like the samurai....

Samurai -> General
i would just go with Martial Artist.

General would work better as a Subclass.

Quote:
Now obviously every culture has their great commanders but ours might just be a tiny bit more.... known in the gaming world ? I'm thinking of a certain long beard, red faced, heavy 2handed polearm wielding general.

Oh and Kannagi -> Taoist Priest, because why not?
i would go with Sage.

The Tao priestess has crappy customs.
Old 2014-01-01, 02:30   Link #159
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)

Have been reading chizzyman's story. There is a mistake: Taiwan is not part of South-East Asia.

How do you write Sage in Chinese?
Old 2014-01-01, 02:35   Link #160
Chaos2Frozen
"Where mah Justice go?!"

Quote:
Have been reading chizzyman's story. There is a mistake: Taiwan is not part of South-East Asia.

How do you write Sage in Chinese?
聖人 Shèngrén I think.

Tags
original content