AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2014-01-12, 14:45   Link #21
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Good to see there's some thought on this.

It would also be nice if the message composition window was easier to use too (mainly scale with mobile interfaces), but better legibility is the main thing in the short term.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-12, 16:47   Link #22
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It was always our intention to this, but I have to say that right now we are waiting for vBulletin to make more progress with version 5 to see if it will reach some level of maturity. Given that all of our plugins/customizations would have to be rewritten, we decided it wasn't worth it to upgrade to 4, and then have to start over with 5. But right now, 5 is not ready yet, and alternatives we considered would mean losing functionality. So, we're going to stick with what we have for a while longer.

To that end, if we were going to do something for this, the best approach would probably be to add a new skin that has some of the properties DonQuigleone mentioned so requires less zooming on mobile devices. Since it would be just a skin like the others, we wouldn't lose any functionality, but people would have to switch to that skin when using the site on a mobile device if they want to (it wouldn't necessarily auto-detect unless we add/develop another plugin).

In principle I may be able to try making some minor tweaks to the current skin to see what can be done at a minimum to improve things, but making/finding all new buttons would be a fair bit more work. May be able to do some "ugly scaling" as an interim step just to get things started. Anyway, I'll try messing with it a bit and seeing what happens, but no promises... (Also, I should say that I can test iOS and Android to some degree, but no guarantees about other mobile browsers or less popular platforms...)
I've been using the forum an awful lot on my Nexus 7 and, aside from a few minor details, I think it works perfectly fine.

The only issues I usually have are the page links that are very small and the old youtube bbcode. Since the newer yt tags show the url above the video they make it easier to quickly open videos with the native youtube app.

Then there's the issue of large images in posts. Sometimes they are too wide and break the flow of the pages.

Asides from that the forum works perfectly OK on mobile but I have to admit that it's making me write less (since I personally dislike writing on touch screens quite a bit). The same thing's happening with my twitter account as well. I used to tweet quite a bit from my phone but ever since I switched to android I started consuming more and producing less. :/

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-13, 05:36   Link #23
Masuzu
サイアク、トキメキ、ヘンシン、コクハク
*Author

Everything works fine on your Nexus 7? It must just be me but I sometimes can't click some buttons.
Old 2014-01-13, 15:21   Link #24
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuzu View Post
Everything works fine on your Nexus 7? It must just be me but I sometimes can't click some buttons.
To be fair I do use firefox instead of Chrome/Android Browser. Maybe that's why.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote