AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-15, 17:50   Link #1
mangafanatic

I need to catch up on recent fansubbed anime. What's best?

Over spring break, I plan to be a downloading fiend and catch up with all the anime that my stupid work load has prevented me from enjoying over the fall and winter. So, here's my question: What's the cream of this/last season's crop, and what have I missed that's worthy going back and getting?

A few qualifications:

1) I'd really like to avoid anime that's contains heavy fan service. It just irks me. So, if the show's got panty shots and sex all over the place, I think I'll pass, thanks.

2) I'm really more of a shoujo, romance, slice of life, kind of person. I'll go for a
shounen show occasionally, but it's not really my passion. *is a complete girly-girl*

There were a few shows I was interest in seeing when previews were coming out over the summer such as:

1) Jigoku(sp?) Shoujo-- It looked cool, and very impressive visually, but I was afraid it would fall prey to the episodic story line demon. Did it?

2) Paradise Kiss-- I was biased in favor of this show because it too Honey and Clover's (my all time favorite anime) spot, but someone told me it had a sex scene later on. Did it?

Other than those two, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to make a lot of room on my computer for my anime downloading spree. Gleeeee!!! *zooms away*
Old 2006-03-15, 18:12   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Paradise Kiss has a few sex scenes... the girls are kinda slutty which was my biggest problem with the show.

I've seen a bit of Jigoku Shoujo. It's pretty cool, but you don't really find out much about the main girl in the first six episodes that I watched. And it's kind of depressing cuz it always involves someone getting hurt in some way before they seek revenge.

My favorite new anime right is Mushishi, which is still airing (17 ep out right now). It's really awesome, every episode leaves you with a... I dunno... a "meaningful" feeling I guess, lol. Something like that.

Some others...
Ichigo Mashimaro - absolutely hilarious. slice of life comedy about 4 grade-school girls and a 20 year old oneechan.
Lamune - laid back, relaxing romance anime. (it hasnt gotten too much into the romance yet, but it's like they're practically married already... 8 of 12 ep subbed)

Last edited by jedinat; 2006-03-15 at 18:22.
Old 2006-03-15, 20:07   Link #3
lemondude
"super lemon"

magikano is sweet. Loves it so much. You would think a anime like this would have a lot of fanservice but it doesn't. Not a lot anyways. It's pretty entertainning.
Old 2006-03-15, 20:18   Link #4
Paper Lilies

Send a message via AIM to Paper Lilies
Shinigami no Ballad is a bittersweet anime about how people cope with death. It is currently ongoing and it will only be six episodes long, and the first two episodes are already out. I haven't seen any fanservice, except for a swimming scene at the end of episode two. (If highschool-aged girls in school swimsuits bother you, you may want to turn around.)
Old 2006-03-15, 21:26   Link #5
miaka

Ginban Kaleidoscope - its a sport anime ( figure skating). Its about a figure skater got possess by a canadian ghost.
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - looking up at the half-moon - its drama only 6 epi long
Black cat - its action adventure shounen genre. It is still ongoing but expected to end this season.
Old 2006-03-16, 00:37   Link #6
jedinat
フリーター

If you're gonna watch shounen at all, watch Blood+ not Black Cat. It's much better and much less... shouneny.
Old 2006-03-16, 00:51   Link #7
ultrataro

Gotta say, Mushishi is one of the top shows of my list right now.

Ichigo Mashimaro & Kamichu also & since you like slice of life would fit the bill, but they've just been annouced liscenced so you'll have to wait. It'll be worth it though!

Aria another good quiet slice of life type, but i think that falls under Media Factory. As does Noein. Noein doesn't fit your criteria, but I find it very good, in a little different way.

Go for Paradise Kiss. Yes, it has some sex scene, but it's not explicit, and actually I found it very sensual in the way it DOESN'T show anything. I would not really consider it fanservice, it's important to the story. Don't skip it just because you heard it has a sex scene. It's a very good show & well done. & I tripped out when I heard the ending theme quite a few times in Canada.

Windy Tales has resumed fansubs after a long hiatus, check it out. Good stuff.

If you want your heavy dose of cute slice of life, there's Binchou-tan.
Old 2006-03-16, 08:48   Link #8
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Go for Rozen Maiden.
Nice series, hasn't been released and season 2 has just finished airing. 'tis awesome.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-03-16, 09:46   Link #9
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Rozen Maiden is awesome, yes.

I have watched 9 episodes of Jigoku Shoujo. I like it but the episodes are too similar to one another and the stock footage sometimes gets on my nerves, the same animations used again and again, combined with similar plot development in every episode are not exactly my cup of tea. But I keep watching it because Hell Girl and her henchmen are cool as hell. Literally.

Old 2006-03-16, 14:56   Link #10
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
I have watched 9 episodes of Jigoku Shoujo. I like it but the episodes are too similar to one another and the stock footage sometimes gets on my nerves, the same animations used again and again, combined with similar plot development in every episode are not exactly my cup of tea.
Wow, gotta hate anime like that. I always roll my eyes when I see the same scenes being repeated in anime. The only reason why I managed to watch most Gundam series is because I'm really a mecha madman; Seed Destiny was even worse, as they'd re-use footage from other gundams in scenes where you couldn't see very well (Scene in phase 49 where Strike Freedom dodges Legend's beams was made up of some old Freedom shots from the fight against Providence).

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Closed Thread