AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: How long?
Somewhere in my 20's 0 0%
Somewhere in my 30's 7 16.28%
Somewhere in my 50's 1 2.33%
To infinity and beyond (just as long as I'm entertained) 35 81.40%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-02-16, 21:07   Link #1
Student no.0
Unemployed Mecha

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
How long can you see yourself still watching/reading anime/manga?

I'm not quite sure how long in the loooong run, but I'm sure I still might be watching/reading anime/manga without a problem in my mid-30's. The most I can see myself changing in that aspect would likely be in my tastes. As in, more entertainment meant for audiences of the seinen demographic over shonen, but I doubt I'm going to dismiss completely depending on what it is (if it's got Togashi-quality writing in it, you can count me in). Basically, as long as I'm liking at least a few shows of the lineups to come and there's still interesting manga stories that I can get my hands on, I guess I'll still be going as an anime/manga fan for the next decade or so. Chances are I'll be watching/reading somewhat less under certain circumstances such as work and family though.

How far can you see yourselves still watching/reading anime/manga (or other media like LNs or VNs) in the future, given how hobbies and tastes can change overtime? Also, do you think there's a certain age limit for it to be appropriate for someone to still be watching/reading this stuff? In my opinion, no. Each one to his own really. If you still like it, super. Though personally it's not something I'd rather not advertise with most people I know... mostly because of stereotypes concerning these things. Poll coming up in a bit.

Also I notice that there's a thread called "Growing out of Anime" but it seems to be a topic more aimed at current dislike for some of seeing lacking originality plenty of rehashed ideas and cliches in a majority of Japanese shows and comics that it comes to the point of them currently losing interest in them. This thread's meant to discuss how long we can imagine ourselves still involved in these mediums of entertainment, and if we can picture ourselves embarrassed or uncomfortable with still enjoying them to the point where it turns out to be a guilty pleasure. If that doesn't make the proper cut to start a new thread about it or there's already a thread with a much similar topic that I missed, then please merge my post with the thread.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-16, 21:16   Link #2
DarkJak2050

Dude, there's this thread for that.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 19:00   Link #3
Student no.0
Unemployed Mecha

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJak2050 View Post
Dude, there's this thread for that.
Well, as you can see I already pointed that out in the third paragraph of the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student no.0 View Post
Also I notice that there's a thread called "Growing out of Anime" but it seems to be a topic more aimed at current dislike for some of seeing lacking originality plenty of rehashed ideas and cliches in a majority of Japanese shows and comics that it comes to the point of them currently losing interest in them. This thread's meant to discuss how long we can imagine ourselves still involved in these mediums of entertainment, and if we can picture ourselves embarrassed or uncomfortable with still enjoying them to the point where it turns out to be a guilty pleasure. If that doesn't make the proper cut to start a new thread about it or there's already a thread with a much similar topic that I missed, then please merge my post with the thread.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 23:40   Link #4
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I think this thread is also like Do you find yourself watching less anime overtime under certain circumstances in life. It may end up being merged into that thread.
Old 2014-02-18, 00:08   Link #5
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It's a hard question to answer how far I can see, when it's already past.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 02:27   Link #6
Dr. Casey

I might take temporary hiatuses from anime here or there in the future due to expanding responsibilities or simply burning myself out from consuming too much of it, but I'm quite certain at this point (due to my age and the length of time that I've been an anime fan, a period during which I've experienced no real decline in interest) that my tastes have stabilized enough that I'm never going to truly or completely stop caring about the medium. I might take some breaks, but otherwise I'm probably going to be a fan for the long run.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 05:38   Link #7
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

As long as my backlog doesn't run out(it's growing faster than I can clear them), I doubt I'll stop.

Heck, I even have a HUGE backlog for my VNs. That will take up my time even more, which will make my anime backlog even bigger.
Old 2014-02-18, 09:18   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I will be holding Tezuka's Hi no Tori in my hand as I lay in my death bed.
Old 2014-02-22, 22:58   Link #9
rladls716

Is there any age limit law depending on the country? Because I never heard of it.
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 05:55   Link #10
Westlo
Lets be reality

About as long as my backlog lasts after all anime turns into CG.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 04:00   Link #11
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

After watching Arpeggio last season, I am not too pessimistic about the whole CG thing anymore.

Being alrady well into my 30's, I can't see myself stopping within this decade. There is always something each season that I really enjoy watching still.
So I picked the next option: 50's.
Not really because of the age, but because of the pretty long time frame. It's hard to predict anything that far into the future, so who knows how anime and/or the whole concept of 'watching a show' will change?
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-02, 04:07   Link #12
JasinElric
JasinElric

Send a message via AIM to JasinElric
The scene can seem redundant at times, but every now and again, there's that jewel the pulls me right back in. I doubt that trend will ever cease.
JasinElric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 21:38   Link #13
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

As long as it's entertaining I don't see myself dropping anime altogether.
That said, back in the day I'd watch pretty much everything that came out every season, whereas nowadays I end up watching a handful of shows (at most!) per season. After watching so many reused plots, tropes and character archetypes it's no surprise that I only find myself watching those shows that, for one reason or the other, bring something special to the table.

I don't see myself dropping anime/manga/etc because of my age. I will drop it once it ceases to entertain me and/or my RL schedule doesn't allow it
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-03, 22:47   Link #14
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

I don't think I'd be able to stop watching anime any time soon. My backlog is always there to remind me about it.
(Absolute Duo, Seirei Tsukai no World Break and Sister of Testament New Devil still under consideration).

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-04, 02:07   Link #15
Sky Knight
Darkness Is In All Of Us

As long as my schedule allows it, I pretty much see myself watching/reading anime/manga for as long as it entertains me. I did "resist" anime for about a year, my intentions were to see if I could drop anime strangely. I ended up watching a few shows and found myself enjoying anime more So I may just take some breaks here and there.
Old 2014-03-04, 14:49   Link #16
iSuckAtWriting
>:I

Send a message via AIM to iSuckAtWriting
If nothing IRL decides to screw me over, I'd likely keep watching anime for as long as I'm entertained. I don't watch anime for anime's sake, but because I'm too familiar with it to back out now. I think of it as 1. something to pop in when I'm bored and 2. something diverse enough to stay aligned with my taste no matter where it ends up.
Redline

~Constructive criticism is always welcome~
iSuckAtWriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-04, 23:46   Link #17
Celestia Ludenberg
Ultimate Gambler

No clue, right now I'm not watching as much anime as I used to, but I always have these little spells where I'll put anime on a hiatus because of lack of interest, same thing happens with manga, video games and even reading.

The only thing I'm keeping up with is KLK.
And I'm getting through my backlog slowly...
Celestia Ludenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-10, 20:38   Link #18
EscapeReality

To the end of time.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-10, 22:27   Link #19
Greenish Growth

I don't see an end to this. I'm already older so I don't see my tastes changing much. My anime tastes have changed somewhat from my first five years of being an anime fan, but it has changed little since (the last thirteen years). I don't have a spouse or significant other and I don't live with relatives who will harass me about my hobby.

The older you get the less likely you are to change in your tastes.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-10, 23:53   Link #20
eternalmetal
RX-78-2 Gundam Pilot

Im in my mid-late 20s (been watching for almost 10 years now) and I dont see myself stopping completely for quite a while. I prefer anime to TV shows and movies because the anime medium allows for the more creative execution of ideas that would otherwise need a huge budget to pull off successfully. I am a big sci-fi fan, and I still appreciate how lots of anime appeal to this preference. Even if I have to dig back a number of years I seem to always be able to find some hidden gem that I had yet to uncover.

As I progress in age and anime viewing experience, my preferences have become far more selective. The majority of newer anime is starting to lose it's appeal since im no longer in high school and I cant really tolerate many of the anime cliches and tropes that are so prevalently used these days. And as much as I love the shounen genre, the coming of age stories are getting really old to me and are becoming less palatable by the day. Im also starting to thirst for anime with more mature and older characters, which, while they exist, are not nearly as ubiquitous as the high school and younger anime. What I am trying to say is that I find the majority of anime to be extremely juvenile, and in the future I will probably avoid shows like that entirely.

I think it is very fortunate that in the grand collective, anime has been almost utilized to it's potential in many different ways. It is a little less fortunate that the majority of anime is made for the majority age group, which is probably teenagers. However, if stuff like the Space Battleship Yamato remake and Shinsekai Yori keep coming around, then there is hope for me sticking around.

I see anime as entertainment akin to books and film, and im sure there wont be a day where I think im too good for entertainment. I think it is clear to all of us here that anime isnt just for kids, just as books and movies arent either, so I see no reason to stop watching it unless you find that none of it appeals to you anymore. Even if anime is a kid-focused form of entertainment, there is still something for everyone, and the more time that goes by, the greater the selection will be.

/time to go bitch about current anime trends in another thread