AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-18, 16:39   Link #21
ZeroKun

the latest cvs of azureus has some nice buttons o_O

Last edited by ZeroKun; 2003-12-19 at 00:52.
ZeroKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 16:56   Link #22
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper
ABC lets you keep a list of all your torrents, however, it's the same window as the undownloaded torrents, and after 50 torrents it gets a bit cumbersome to find torrents.
BC has such a window, but it also lets you look just at ones you're downloading, uploading, and 'reseeding' (I don't know how to get things to appear in reseeding, none of my torrents that I've downloaded have shown up there).
Quote:
But I don't want to click at all. I want the client to go through my list and find the torrents with 0 seeds and start seeding them. Of course I would want it configurable, so that I'm not trying to reseed 50 torrents at once, nor do I want to reseed if I'm downloading 3 torrents, and I'd love it to automatically stop once it sees 1 full copy (not when one person has a full copy, like ABC currently does in super seed mode). And since I'm listing features, it would be great if it prioritized the reseeding queue by # of leechers waiting, average peer progress, etc. I know these features will come eventually to some client, but I always wonder if there's already one out there and I just haven't found it yet.
Umm, wow. That sounds like a horrible waste of bandwidth though. Have you emailed any client writers to ask for said feature?
Quote:
however, I maintain that the max bandwidth you get is determined more by the people who are on than the client you use.
Agreed, although net connection speed is usually my limiting factor. -.-;
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 16:59   Link #23
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMix
with Bit coment.. how do you figure out if you are behind a fire wall?
Don't know ATM. I'll try to find out. I'd recommend that you simply look for a general tool/website that'll tell you if you're firewalled on port X. That, or get to know the network you're living in.
Old 2003-12-18, 18:08   Link #24
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen
BC has such a window, but it also lets you look just at ones you're downloading, uploading, and 'reseeding' (I don't know how to get things to appear in reseeding, none of my torrents that I've downloaded have shown up there).
I shall try BC next then. PTC was a bust (lots of potential, but too new), and I didn't like Azureus.

Quote:
Umm, wow. That sounds like a horrible waste of bandwidth though. Have you emailed any client writers to ask for said feature?
*blinks* How is this a waste? I'm allowing people to finish their downloads while I sit and browse the net, or sleep, or whatever. If the bandwidth is there to use, and your ISP doesn't have restrictions, then it's not a waste, it's helping the community.

As for the client writers, after reading their software's forum, I usually conclude that they don't give a rat's ass about sharing, or someone has already requested similar features.
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 18:23   Link #25
Paper

woah, BC http://www.bitcomet.com/ has a long long way to go, but it's layout is nice. It doesn't appear the seed and reseed queues work properly yet, and is missing a superseed mode. I'll definitely be watching the development of this one, but back to ABC for now.
Old 2003-12-18, 20:19   Link #26
Keen

Quote:
*blinks* How is this a waste? I'm allowing people to finish their downloads while I sit and browse the net, or sleep, or whatever. If the bandwidth is there to use, and your ISP doesn't have restrictions, then it's not a waste, it's helping the community.
You need to send and receive information between you and the tracker if you're participating in a torrent. If you just sit there and don't upload anything because there's a complete copy of a file out there, then that bandwidth is wasted.
Old 2003-12-19, 15:01   Link #27
taskette

I thought Azureus was awesome. With an older computer, Azureus will be a problem since it'll definitely lag you down as if you were running 3 or 4 experimental BTs. I also changed the ports, upping it by 1 but still keeping the same gap, I think it helped a bit after I realized I had some problems with one of the ports.

I wouldn't bother with BC since it still needs tremendous development. I would wait a month or two before checking it out.

ABC just didn't work for me. I left it on for thirty minutes to see if it was as effective as Azureus but it remained around the 20kb/s for the whole time. I immediately switched to Azureus and my downloads total went 200kb/s in about 5 minutes. Maybe it's the ports that I have open, or maybe it's just the ABC program, but for some reason, ABC won't work for me.

The reason I prefer Azureus the most is because it has many configurations. Lots of buttons, options, and the ability to check seperate files when downloading a batch. This is the essential program for reliable and easy-to-use BT service.

Well good luck, hope I was helpful.
taskette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 18:04   Link #28
Ulayo

Send a message via ICQ to Ulayo
My vote goes to Azureus as well. This client easily beats its competition as it has tons of features, especially with the new 2.0.6.0 version.
Ulayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 21:19   Link #29
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
You need to send and receive information between you and the tracker if you're participating in a torrent. If you just sit there and don't upload anything because there's a complete copy of a file out there, then that bandwidth is wasted.
That's not a terrible waste of bandwidth. Certainly, eDonkey users requesting files from people who are no longer online wastes far more bandwidth than that.
Old 2003-12-21, 22:08   Link #30
Paper

I've switched to Azureus. I don't know what drug I was on when I posted that I didn't like Azureus.

The auto-seeding is just about everything I wanted. whee. The GUI is a bit slow at times, it uses a lot of resources at times as well, and it's missing a handy "Total Download Speed" column, but those points are so minor.
Old 2003-12-25, 13:12   Link #31
taskette

Hm? Total download speed "column"? It's at the bottom of the client. That's the total speed. If you are using XP, just point at the icon and the total dl/up speed will show.

I've seen Azureus go as high as 400kb/s. What bout u guys?
taskette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 19:18   Link #32
gohmifune

400? wow. Under what conditions. The highest I've ever been is in the 230s and that was when Gundam Seed was out and there hundreds of seeds and leechers.
gohmifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-25, 19:19   Link #33
Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskette
Hm? Total download speed "column"? It's at the bottom of the client. That's the total speed. If you are using XP, just point at the icon and the total dl/up speed will show.
No, the total download speed of all clients for one torrent. It's a column in ABC, but on Azureus, it's hidden away in details tab. It's a good indicator of whether I'm getting a good DL rate (for example, if I were DL at 10kb/s, and the total DL rate is 30kb/s with 20 leechers, I consider myself lucky), as well helping me decide whether to stop my seeds (for example, if the total DL rate is 1500kb/s with 10 leechers, there's no need for me to be seeding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskette
I've seen Azureus go as high as 400kb/s. What bout u guys?
I think I've reached 200kb/s once or twice, which isn't any more or less than the other clients. Search the forums, you'll find a thread on who has the fastest car.. err, I mean, DL rate.
Old 2003-12-26, 04:10   Link #34
lost_angel
Inactive Member

Quote:
No, the total download speed of all clients for one torrent. It's a column in ABC, but on Azureus, it's hidden away in details tab. It's a good indicator of whether I'm getting a good DL rate (for example, if I were DL at 10kb/s, and the total DL rate is 30kb/s with 20 leechers, I consider myself lucky), as well helping me decide whether to stop my seeds (for example, if the total DL rate is 1500kb/s with 10 leechers, there's no need for me to be seeding)

I think I've reached 200kb/s once or twice, which isn't any more or less than the other clients. Search the forums, you'll find a thread on who has the fastest car.. err, I mean, DL rate.
looks like i will have to try that prog, with the expremental client i am using i can get 183k prob more if people didnt ratio their downloads with it, lol
lost_angel is offline   Reply With Quote