AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-06, 13:54   Link #2821
Meltyred

Kind of sad none of the 2 asked Uroko to take off the fish head still stuck to Tsumugu.
Oh well. Seems like Tsumugu is ok with having a fish head elbow, but hopefully it won't mess up his confession.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 13:58   Link #2822
Miraluka
Banned

So if HikariXManaka happens that would make them the parents of the last generation of Sea people cuz Kaname will die alone(being Kaname is suffering) and even if ChisakiXTsumugu happens they the sea race is doomed since Hikari's child will have to mate with a land person .

Uroko will reach a new level of forever alone and Sea God will leave his duties to a more competent god... like Poseidon(who doesn't cares if you love him or not, rape is the solution for him, always) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon
Nothing new on the Kaname/Chisaki/Tsumugu front. Kaname's second confession didn't even happen, screw the preview. It looks like Tsumugu wants to confess, but when will that happen? Not in the last episode, I hope. We still need development on Chisaki's side, but nothing will change if one of the boys doesn't act.
Even the storyboard cockblocks Kaname .

Ahem, now an ending like Anohona doesn't sounds bad... too bad the director here isn't Nagai(I dislike some of his works but I know he is very good at his job and handling Okada's wangst).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak
Nice episode and all but it all feels a bit late now. We've now got only four episodes remaining to resolve everything and it looks like they're pushing everything towards the end like I feared they would.
Lets get aboard the trainwreck ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak
Now it feels like the only way this would make sense is if there was a second season, which obviously isn't happening.
Hell no, this series doesn't deserves it, not even a movie but I can see having some ova to try to salvage the average sales it has.

Why is it that all the budget from PAW usually goes to Okada series but the good ones gets an average one?/rant ;___;

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Ah, the politician's solution. If you don't know how to fix something, just enjoy yourself and leave the clean-up to future generations.
However... that... somehow fits Okada's quality writing .

Last edited by Miraluka; 2014-03-06 at 14:13.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 13:59   Link #2823
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorodri100 View Post
and miuna being the perfect being okada wants her to be will sacrifice herself for hikari sake
Kanon made a good point here, if Miuna sacrifices herself for Hikari's sake, it would be pointless. If somebody wants to solve the problem once and for all she has to do that out of the love for the sea and not because of somebody else. Just take Manaka, she did that for Akari's sake. And look how it turned out.
Old 2014-03-06, 14:05   Link #2824
leorodri100

good point, but didn't miuna use to say all the time that she loves the ocean, and her name even means beautiful sea
leorodri100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 14:08   Link #2825
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp
Kanon made a good point here, if Miuna sacrifices herself for Hikari's sake, it would be pointless. If somebody wants to solve the problem once and for all she has to do that out of the love for the sea and not because of somebody else. Just take Manaka, she did that for Akari's sake. And look how it turned out.
The problem is that even she does that, she will have to give up on her love for Hikari AND her sacrfice still will make her parents, brother and friends sad.

Will they be truly happy with their lives knowing someone had to give up her own?
Old 2014-03-06, 14:09   Link #2826
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
Lets get aboard the trainwreck ending.

Hell no, this series doesn't deserves it no even a moviem. Why is it that all the budget from PAW usually goes to Okada series but the good ones gets an average one? ;___;
U mad?

I'd really like a second season because not only is there room to show development more than what we already predicted, it could also hopefully make the end of the world subplot more relevant to the characters.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 14:13   Link #2827
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorodri100 View Post
good point, but didn't miuna use to say all the time that she loves the ocean, and her name even means beautiful sea
Yes, but I was replying to your suggestion that Okada will have Miuna sacrifice herself for Hikari's sake. That's why I made that point.
Old 2014-03-06, 14:22   Link #2828
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
U mad?

I'd really like a second season because not only is there room to show development more than what we already predicted, it could also hopefully make the end of the world subplot more relevant to the characters.
Mad? No
Afraid? Totally.

Perhaps the studio would try a movie like Hanasaku but for this series is as hard as having a second season. This series isn't a success when it comes to merchandising, the first week of sales didn't reach 1500 copies and it took about 3 months to make its first BD to reach about 5200 copies trough lots of publicity in diaries and whatelse. And the singles sales are above average/good.

Focus on the end of the world subplot? Sounds appealing but in order to do that you would need a very different writer.
Old 2014-03-06, 14:23   Link #2829
leorodri100

i see. yeah it would only create another same manaka-like situation, unless there's a plot twist, one thing is certain thou the OP spoils that manaka gets her feelings back
leorodri100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 14:38   Link #2830
ices
Working Hard

Quote:
So if HikariXManaka happens that would make them the parents of the last generation of Sea people cuz Kaname will die alone(being Kaname is suffering) and even if ChisakiXTsumugu happens they the sea race is doomed since Hikari's child will have to mate with a land person .
Didn't Manaka losing her Ena made her a land-dweller. Also it seems there won't be any Sea-race x Sea-race end pairing. Hence there won't be any new sea-generation. Oh, right, that was the point of hibernating. To prevent the further loss of sea dweller.

Quote:
Uroko will reach a new level of forever alone and Sea God will leave his duties to a more competent god... like Poseidon(who doesn't cares if you love him or not, rape is the solution for him, always) .
How about uroko sama being the one who got sacrificed. Hence he could be useful and leave us with a good parting gift. No sea-kid being sacrificed. Ice age prevented. Manaka got her love back. Miuna save. Everyone happy. Problem solved.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 14:48   Link #2831
Miraluka
Banned

^
I don't want that at the cost of the best character this series could offer D:<

Wait, how does that even work? Uroko is a scale and a male. Unless Okada decides to screw that and make him crossdress.... oh wait...
Old 2014-03-06, 15:25   Link #2832
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Mad? No
Afraid? Totally.

Perhaps the studio would try a movie like Hanasaku but for this series is as hard as having a second season. This series isn't a success when it comes to merchandising, the first week of sales didn't reach 1500 copies and it took about 3 months to make its first BD to reach about 5200 copies trough lots of publicity in diaries and whatelse. And the singles sales are above average/good.

Focus on the end of the world subplot? Sounds appealing but in order to do that you would need a very different writer.
Not really. Most of the characters are actually close to resolution already when it comes to their romances. The only thing that is nowhere close to resolution is the end of the world subplot and what it means to the characters so that would naturally take up more focus.

As for sales, I think a second season would work. All the characters would be preferably older so that takes away Nagi no Asukara's biggest hurdle when it came to sales initially.

This is mostly fantasy btw. There's nothing to actually be afraid of.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 15:48   Link #2833
mirahh

So, does the fact that Manaka couldn't remember the moments Hikari mentioned mean that she was in love with both Hikari and Tsumugu before shit went down? Her feelings for Hikari were somewhat ambiguous, so it could be nice to get this confirmed once and for all.
mirahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 15:52   Link #2834
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirahh View Post
So, does the fact that Manaka couldn't remember the moments Hikari mentioned mean that she was in love with both Hikari and Tsumugu before shit went down? Her feelings for Hikari were somewhat ambiguous, so it could be nice to get this confirmed once and for all.
I guess that can be taken as a confirmation here. First with Tsumugu (with her forgetting about the fish incident with him), then with Hikari (as evidenced by the later scenes that were forgotten).
Old 2014-03-06, 15:54   Link #2835
GDB

I'd assume so. Seems anything she did out of love is a lost memory. But the way she dead-eyes with Akira makes it seem like any kind of love counts; romantic and platonic. However, the fact that she had something to tell Hikari after the ofuneki that she no longer remembers seems to indicate that it was something love-based.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 16:56   Link #2836
bastek66

Scary
Old 2014-03-06, 17:17   Link #2837
kuromitsu

So the thing the sea god took from Manaka is...

wait for it...

the one thing that could stir up the romance/love drama even more.

Why am I not surprised. So now Whatshisface loves Miuna who loves Hikari who loves Manaka who can't love anyone anymore, but I bet Hikari won't give up, and Miuna will have to suffer seeing him suffer, and perhaps Miuna will help him to make him happy, even though it makes her suffer, oh the drama. Meanwhile, Sayu still loves Kaname who still loves Chisaki who still loves Hikari but also loves Tsumugu who loves her back but didn't do anything about it for five years so it's getting really awkward now. Oh, and the world is ending or something, but that's not really important 'cause it's still far away, also romance is much more important.

At least Manaka's curse is kind of creative. It's not "if I can't have her no-one will have her", it's "if she doesn't love me I'll make sure she'll never be able to love anyone and she'll live her life in unhappiness and no-one can do anything about it."
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 17:55   Link #2838
Key Board
Carbon

I guess most people were right about what Manaka lost.

but is this seriously going to end in 2 episodes?
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 18:01   Link #2839
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
but is this seriously going to end in 2 episodes?
Four left, Nagi no Asukara has a total of 26 episodes.
Old 2014-03-06, 19:23   Link #2840
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'm honestly surprised at all of the annoyance and disappointment this latest episode seems to have caused.

It's just more of Nagi no Asukara being Nagi no Asukara (and yes, at this point, that's as clear a statement as "SHAFT being SHAFT" ).

Nagi no Asukara has been very slow-paced the entire 2nd half. Its romance conflicts/drama have been caught in a stubborn holding pattern almost that entire time. The latest episode didn't seem exceptionally bad in either way this episode.

In fact, some interesting and important reveals were made. Unless Uroko is simply lying, which I doubt, it sounds like the situation is almost completely out of the Sea God's hands. For what I gathered, his consciousness (will, I suppose) has been cut off from his emotions, and his emotions are doing their own thing independent of his will. So the situation is pretty much completely out of control, and so trying to make some sort of bargain/wager with the Sea God isn't likely to resolve matters.

In a way, I'm glad. I'm glad that some easy-breezy miracle isn't likely to resole this plot. If our protagonists are going to get a good ending, they're going to have to truly earn it, and that's typically for the best, in my view.

And while the Manaka reveal was predictable for many viewers here, I still find its overall execution very interesting. Manaka has lost her ability to love another person (at least romantically), and yet she seems emotional, bubbly, cheerful, optimistic, energetic. In fact, you could argue that she's happier now than she's ever been.

Contrast that easy happiness with the unrequited love pain that almost the entire rest of the main cast are going through. Is Okada making a point about the cost of romance? Is she challenging the old cliche of "It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"? I don't know, but the current contrast between Manaka and the rest of the cast is striking to me. It's hard to think that Okada herself is oblivious to the contrast she's created here - A girl who can't love (and doesn't remember ever being in love) contrasted with lots of characters enduring unrequited love.

Sure, Manaka's memory corruption and complete lack of eros love can be a bit creepy in certain moments, but ignorance definitely seems to be bliss for her.

Anyway, just some thoughts I wanted to throw out there. I found the latest episode pretty good on the whole.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen