AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2014-03-01, 08:27   Link #2301
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Kanami grabs uber characters to form party, Than she rise them with care and eventualy hers pets start produce OTHER Uber characters from scrubs.
I don't think we have any actual evidence to show of a trend of KAnami's formed party members going forth and raisng scrubs to über characters.
Pretty sure that Shiroe is a singular instance.
Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-01, 13:47   Link #2302
XFire
Harem Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
I don't think we have any actual evidence to show of a trend of KAnami's formed party members going forth and raisng scrubs to über characters.
Pretty sure that Shiroe is a singular instance.
Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
Souichiro did something similar. His guild has 60 or so members, and is considered one of the strongest combat guilds. Also its a harem.
Old 2014-03-02, 02:25   Link #2303
J4n1

But we have no indication that he actually took them in as scrubs and trained them to become uber characters.
If anything, we have indications that at least some of them were pretty uber to begin with (former DTP members).
Old 2014-03-02, 09:57   Link #2304
DQueenie13

Quote:
But we have no indication that he actually took them in as scrubs and trained them to become uber characters.
If anything, we have indications that at least some of them were pretty uber to begin with (former DTP members).
^ That, although he currently only has himself and Nazuna. I believe the other one or two former DTP members weren't caught in the Apocalypse.
Old 2014-03-02, 10:15   Link #2305
J4n1

uber tank and a healer can carry otherwise mediocre group far.
And we don't know how good others were before joining (didn't some women from Black Sword Knights join them in the manga?).
Old 2014-03-02, 13:48   Link #2306
DQueenie13

Quote:
uber tank and a healer can carry otherwise mediocre group far.
And we don't know how good others were before joining (didn't some women from Black Sword Knights join them in the manga?).
They joined his fan club(s), which are separate from the guild itself.
Old 2014-03-02, 14:09   Link #2307
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
They joined his fan club(s), which are separate from the guild itself.
I'm pretty sure they were (at least talking about) joining the actual guild.
Old 2014-03-02, 15:02   Link #2308
DQueenie13

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they were (at least talking about) joining the actual guild.
Oh wait, yeah, you're right. Even if they didn't join the main guild, Souji did mention the sub-guilds/fan clubs right after that, so they would probably go there.
Old 2014-03-02, 16:49   Link #2309
J4n1

Right.
And taking a small sideroad, WWB doesn't actually need lot of uber characters to be a top level raiding guild.
All they need is dedicated ones that don't suck.
And dedication West Wind Brigade has in spades (not to raiding, but for Souji, and if he wants to raid, the girls will bloody well raid).
Old 2014-03-06, 18:36   Link #2310
DQueenie13

I actually hadn't noticed this until I saw an anon's contribution on the Log Horizon Wiki (not the one Sphaela controls, the other one), but apparently there's the guild Odyssey, which believes that killing an Adventurer enough times will bring them back to their original world. (Mentioned in two lines in volume 6, chapter 2.)

That brings two questions to my mind:
1. Why exactly are they feared? There are only two options to test the Guild's beliefs: the first is that they kill themselves over and over again; the second is that they're killing others over and over again. I am inclined to believe they are following the latter train of thought.

2. Will they be the enemies the Scrub Team will encounter on their journey west? Henrietta, when she references the enemies that the RTC was facing, named three entities: Plant Hwyaden, the rogue Guard, and Odyssey. I'm inclined to think that Plant Hwyaden is Shiroe's (and perhaps Naotsugu's, Nyanta's and Tetra's) problem to face, and the Guard was dealt with by Akatsuki and the girls. That leaves Odyssey to be dealt with, if they become more prominent.
Old 2014-03-06, 22:47   Link #2311
Estavali
あなたはそこにいますか

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
I actually hadn't noticed this until I saw an anon's contribution on the Log Horizon Wiki (not the one Sphaela controls, the other one), but apparently there's the guild Odyssey, which believes that killing an Adventurer enough times will bring them back to their original world. (Mentioned in two lines in volume 6, chapter 2.)

That brings two questions to my mind:
1. Why exactly are they feared? There are only two options to test the Guild's beliefs: the first is that they kill themselves over and over again; the second is that they're killing others over and over again. I am inclined to believe they are following the latter train of thought.
I think the problem with Odyssey is that it would be similar to cults like the Aum Shinrikyo which have a persistent appeal (in this case, going home) and problematic ideas. In the worst case it might even be led by unscrupulous leaders exploiting the vulnerabilities of their members, leaders who sometimes might not even believe in what they preach.

Maybe this might not seem serious to the non-Japanese, but I think after the Tokyo sarin gas attack, the Japanese at least might have gotten an idea of how much trouble such cults can produce. In fact, to hurt the community, Odyssey doesn't even need to resort to serial murders. It can just move around, spread the "good message" and grow its member base with eloquence, persistence and the appeal of their movement, at the same time involving its followers in what is essentially a non-stop suicide cult.

I think at this point, folks who have friends or family caught up with cults, drugs or any kind of unhealthy addiction would know too well how painful the experience can be when trying to cure their loved ones from their obsessions.

Quote:
2. Will they be the enemies the Scrub Team will encounter on their journey west? Henrietta, when she references the enemies that the RTC was facing, named three entities: Plant Hwyaden, the rogue Guard, and Odyssey. I'm inclined to think that Plant Hwyaden is Shiroe's (and perhaps Naotsugu's, Nyanta's and Tetra's) problem to face, and the Guard was dealt with by Akatsuki and the girls. That leaves Odyssey to be dealt with, if they become more prominent.
My guess is that we might be looking into Rudie's past and whatever that comes with it. It seems that Rudie might have hailed from the Ninetales Dominion, which comes under Westlande's influence. In fact, its player city, Nakazu, is now under Plant Hwyaden's control. If my suspicions are correct, it might be more likely to see the junior team coming into contact with Hwyaden =3

Signature by liro
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 12:32   Link #2312
Tenzen12

After watching latest episode of anime I can understand resentment of that Kuni clanner boy who went nuts. I couldn't help but think he was in that mobile suite that had to deploy every time when Akatsuki was about use her weapon just for it being false alarm...
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 12:38   Link #2313
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
After watching latest episode of anime I can understand resentment of that Kuni clanner boy who went nuts. I couldn't help but think he was in that mobile suite that had to deploy every time when Akatsuki was about use her weapon just for it being false alarm...
That would be hilarious if true.

It was a fun visual gag, but i'm not sure i feel that adding it was funny enough to make up for inconsistency it adds to guardian reactions (we've never seen them appear like that before).
But i guess i'm just picking nits, as i tend to do.
Old 2014-03-08, 17:17   Link #2314
ArmaniWeston

Quote:
That would be hilarious if true.

It was a fun visual gag, but i'm not sure i feel that adding it was funny enough to make up for inconsistency it adds to guardian reactions (we've never seen them appear like that before).
But i guess i'm just picking nits, as i tend to do.
speaking about the latest episode, did any1 else think Lord Marvos is drawn completely wrong? I always imaged him a squat fat dude with enough white powder on his face to make him look like a clown, not the incarnation of Ryuk meets One Piece ^~^;
ArmaniWeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 17:27   Link #2315
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino

After seeing Mavis' ship I started thinking whether other established Adventurer cities would launch naval expeditions to other well populated areas in Elder Tales. (Reestablishment of the Manila Galleon anyone? XD)

Due to the changing world (It seems to be growing to match current Earth) maybe the server block to telepathy will break and allow for the establishment of intercontinental communications systems and trade.

Also this is a great time to do it considering that the Earth is still at 1/2 size. Heck even a circumnavigation of the globe will take at most 2 years.
Old 2014-03-08, 19:19   Link #2316
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmaniWeston View Post
speaking about the latest episode, did any1 else think Lord Marvos is drawn completely wrong? I always imaged him a squat fat dude with enough white powder on his face to make him look like a clown, not the incarnation of Ryuk meets One Piece ^~^;

They're siblings!
Old 2014-03-09, 00:11   Link #2317
Cruor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
After seeing Mavis' ship I started thinking whether other established Adventurer cities would launch naval expeditions to other well populated areas in Elder Tales. (Reestablishment of the Manila Galleon anyone? XD)

Due to the changing world (It seems to be growing to match current Earth) maybe the server block to telepathy will break and allow for the establishment of intercontinental communications systems and trade.

Also this is a great time to do it considering that the Earth is still at 1/2 size. Heck even a circumnavigation of the globe will take at most 2 years.
Don't think any Japanese will be getting to Manilla anytime soon. Taiwan is supposed to be surrounded by Raid Boss level monsters in the ocean and all the adventurers are unable to leave the island.
Cruor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 02:08   Link #2318
Netto Azure
→ Asada Shino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
Don't think any Japanese will be getting to Manilla anytime soon. Taiwan is supposed to be surrounded by Raid Boss level monsters in the ocean and all the adventurers are unable to leave the island.
That is quite unfortunate. Considering there's a lot of untapped knowledge from the previous world that could be synthesized if all the adventurers enclaves manage to communicate with each other.

The ability to combine Magic and 19th century technology is quite appealing.
Old 2014-03-09, 02:22   Link #2319
Nvis
Grumpy Senior

So what is Mavis' ship? Looks like it's run on Unicorn.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-09, 22:05   Link #2320
ArmaniWeston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post

They're siblings!
Yeah basically like that but with a scowl and more French in appearance.
ArmaniWeston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers