AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shuffle!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-17, 13:04   Link #1
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Music from Shuffle (Yeah there's some talent)

Okay seriously, everything is composed on a synthesizer, and not the good kind like music from RUSH, I mean the bad kind like my Casio. I mean how hard is it to make beeps and bloops for a soundtrack. I'm noticing this current trend with a lot of new anime and not just this one, and frankly its making me a bit worried about the future of anime music. Anyone else have anything they want to add?
Old 2006-02-17, 14:33   Link #2
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

If you expect every anime to have a Yoko Kanno sounding OST, you're gonna be sad. That's just a silly thing to expect.

Shuffle!'s OST suits it just fine. Also, if you notice, in Shuffle! a number of the tracks are all fairly well orchistrated. For instance, in episode 19 when Kaede is about to go berserk, there's a very creepy sounding peice of music that is far from "Beeps and bloops" which creates perfect tension.

Also, what do you mean by "a lot of new anime"? Blood+, Jigoku Shoujo, Fate/Stay Night and, hell Black Cat. All of those have great sounding background music. If anything, anime music has only gotten better from the days of "Tobe Gundam!" (which rocks in its own corny way).

I think your complaint is retarded.
Old 2006-02-17, 14:51   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It sounds like you're just not a fan of Anime music, because a lot of anime has those kinds of music.. and imo they suit every part of a series, the happy parts, sad & so on.

Really, what kinda ost did you want.. its perefect how it is.
Old 2006-02-17, 16:23   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

um... AIR? piano? vocals?

Azumanga Daioh (mostly pit orchestra)...

Nanoha's soundtrack comes close to "movie quality" ala John Williams at times (or at least as good as some of Warcraft's music).

I'm not saying a lot of anime music isn't "elevator noise" .... about half of every soundtrack I've ever purchased sounds like "happy shopping noise". But then most so-called "musicians" or "groups" .... we're lucky if 3 out of 10 tracks don't sound like crap.
The purpose of sound track music is to set the mood for the scene ... I prefer real instruments... but in Japan a *lot* of background music is synthesizer-based.

If you're going to compare everything to Rush... or Tull ... or Zeppelin (all of whom had their share of "crap tracks" too) then you're wasting your time with j-pop.
Old 2006-02-17, 18:04   Link #5
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Nanoha's soundtrack comes close to "movie quality" ala John Williams at times (or at least as good as some of Warcraft's music).
Even though it's hardly "new" anymore (Well, I guess the second season is...) but Big O has spectacular tracks that are near or movie quality.

I guess if you're looking for shows with awesome OSTs you're best off with high-energy, high budget action shows or crazy 50 episode war epics (Gundam).
Old 2006-02-20, 16:03   Link #6
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
It sounds like you're just not a fan of Anime music, because a lot of anime has those kinds of music.. and imo they suit every part of a series, the happy parts, sad & so on.

Really, what kinda ost did you want.. its perefect how it is.
I collect Anime OST's and nothing I have sounds like this. You obviously haven't watched anything older than 2004 because your comment about alot of anime having music like Shuffle's really doesn't make much sense. If you've watched anything from the 70's-90's period you'll see a huge contrast between what we had then and what we have now. Anime Music today is not all poor and uninspired like Shuffle, but the bleeps and bloops music is starting to become more common. Out of the 5 series I've seen post 2004, 3 out of 5 have had what I consider uninspired and mass produced music that is easy to compose.
Old 2006-02-21, 03:02   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

probably the biggest weakness in current anime is that crossmarketing greed for cheap "pop music" ... rather than something exactly targeted to the needs of the series. I see where the OP is coming from, though I think there's more out there than one might initially expect. I would be interested in seeing a list of OSTs that Kaioshin finds excellent. I'm always on the hunt for good music and find I have to dig through a lot of fluff in anime/j-pop to find interesting or novel sounds...

Much anime music simply exists as background music and really doesn't stand on its own. Even AIR (which I think somewhat highly of) only has about 50% of what I consider worth repeat listenability (mostly the piano and vocal pieces).
Personally, I prefer classical, folk/ethnic, or hard-edged music. The last is hard to find.... for example, the tune from TickTack "Be Ambitious" starts out really nicely to my ears and then flakes into simple pop anytime the vocals are active. Whereas "Maze of the Dark" keeps that edge from start to finish (a tune from the Negima character CDs). Much of Pani Poni Dash's OST I find quite amusing --- it reminds me of PDQ Bach musical satire and the OP/ED pieces are quite retro listenable.

Azumanga Daioh's music.. though quite simple is pit orchestra music (real instruments with some lovely tuba) and quite listenable. Sometimes simple is good.
Old 2006-02-26, 16:32   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Darned server hardware failure kind of trainwrecked some lovely discussions including this one (yes, its just a bump)... I'd kind of like to hear the OP's "top 10 list".
Old 2006-02-26, 16:45   Link #9
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
I collect Anime OST's and nothing I have sounds like this. You obviously haven't watched anything older than 2004 because your comment about alot of anime having music like Shuffle's really doesn't make much sense. If you've watched anything from the 70's-90's period you'll see a huge contrast between what we had then and what we have now. Anime Music today is not all poor and uninspired like Shuffle, but the bleeps and bloops music is starting to become more common. Out of the 5 series I've seen post 2004, 3 out of 5 have had what I consider uninspired and mass produced music that is easy to compose.
I haven't seen any anime after 2004? Haha.. its amazing you say that when not even knowing me.

I'll say it again, i've watched a lot of anime that has music like Shuffle, even stuff before 2004 - its just all tastes.. the so called 'beeps' work perfect for Shuffle.

And beeps.. have you actually been listening to the music, there's some beauitful piano pieces within Shuffle.
Old 2006-02-26, 17:17   Link #10
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Okay seriously, everything is composed on a synthesizer, and not the good kind like music from RUSH, I mean the bad kind like my Casio. I mean how hard is it to make beeps and bloops for a soundtrack. I'm noticing this current trend with a lot of new anime and not just this one, and frankly its making me a bit worried about the future of anime music. Anyone else have anything they want to add?
Our opinions completely differ and to answer your question, composing electronic/synthesizer music can be really hard. It's not, like it generates itself automatically. SHUFFLE's OST was pretty well done, in my opinion... I still enjoy it, cause it underlined the series very good, but that's probably depending on personal taste. I like the current anime music age, cause it became so electronic.
Well, Yoko's pieces in all the honor... I really like them, but in some cases, electronic sounds are simply better. There are so many factors...
Budget was already mentioned, I think... There's often a huge team behind cinematic OST's. Electronic ones, on the other side, are often done by small teams, containing 1-2 composer(s) i.e., and maybe some "helpers" for arrangement/fine tuning.
All in all, I'm looking forward to the future of anime music... Reminds me hardly in my favourite doujin music artist (Lix). Anyway, I dont belive, that cinematic OSTs ever die, so no reason for worrying, it simply wasnt for you

Aesir

Last edited by Gaia; 2006-02-26 at 17:36.
Old 2006-03-21, 08:08   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Okay OST's I find good.

Almost Anything Gundam that isn't Seed
Brain Powered
Brave Express Might Gaine
Dragonball Z Japanese Soundtrack not the American one
Escaflowne
Gaogaigar
Giant Robo
Kimagure Orange Road
Megazone 23
Space Runaway Ideon
Tekkaman Blade
Yugioh again Japanese Soundtrack not the American one
Yu Yu Hakusho

To name just a few
Old 2006-03-21, 19:56   Link #12
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wow.... we have seriously different tastes in anime music.... not to mention series.

Ah well.
Old 2006-03-21, 20:38   Link #13
wildarmsheero
Three Times As Fast

I dunno. I rather like Gundam Seed scores. Particularly Destiny. Of course, nothing beats Dashing Char :P
Old 2006-03-24, 07:02   Link #14
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
Hm. The only OST on that list of yours that I like, Kaoishin, is the Escaflowne OST. Mind you, most anime OSTs to me are merely 'background noise' anyway, depending on the series. I love music and how it sets tone, but honestly, for a lot of shows out there, it doesn't make too much difference.

As to you comments about Shuffle!'s BGM, well... I must say that I found that it complemented the show, and after that, has become rather unmemorable. I like the ED single for the show, and there's a couple of tunes in there that aren't bad for BGM, but nothing stand out. But then, that applies to so many shows, anime and not, as well as many movies. Seriously, watch a few movies, get the OSTs, and then do a listen/compare. Not many have a whole collection of stand out tracks.

As to anime OSTs I like - I find that most of Yuki Kajiura's music (including FictionJunction) is well worth a listen to (NOIR/MADLAX especially), I loved what Ko Otani did with Haibane Renmei, I'm fond of most of Key Sounds Label's stuff (especially that by Shinji Orito), and I quite like a lot of tracks Taku Iwasaki wrote for Witch Hunter Robin.

Oh, and I dislike most electronic music. Orchestrated music (especially classical) is my goddess

-Andiyar