AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto

Notices

Old 2014-05-20, 12:22   Link #101
Artful_Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
sure, but my main point that started all this has been sakura in particular. it's unquestionable to me that kishi keeps trying to make her relevant and an equal member of team 7, but then when her time to shine comes she quickly devolves into the same female stereotypes every time. it's a continuous false representation and i for one am very bored of it and would have either liked it to stop or would have much preferred that sakura actually be allowed to do things that matter to the plot (in a good way. not by being a weak girl who can't destroy one of madara's weapons)
Sakura cannot compete on Sasuke and Naruto's level for the same reason the other konoha ninja cannot: they haven't been given the appropriate power-ups and ablities. There were so many opportunities for Sakura and others to shine in this war, but practically all of them ended up needing to be saved, and by Naruto clones at that. You see her falling short as a "female stereotype", but the essense of whats keeping her from being competitive is not exlusive to females; its the very same thing that keeps the other males from being competitive as well.
Artful_Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 12:26   Link #102
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful_Dodger View Post
Sakura cannot compete on Sasuke and Naruto's level for the same reason the other konoha ninja cannot: they haven't been given the appropriate power-ups and ablities. There were so many opportunities for Sakura and others to shine in this war, but practically all of them ended up needing to be saved, and by Naruto clones at that. You see her falling short as a "female stereotype", but the essense of whats keeping her from being competitive is not exlusive to females; its the very same thing that keeps the other males from being competitive as well.
you continually fail to understand that she is a main character and promoted as a justified member of team 7. comparing her to side characters is a waste of time
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 12:39   Link #103
Artful_Dodger

Quote:
you continually fail to understand that she is a main character and promoted as a justified member of team 7. comparing her to side characters is a waste of time
Uh, no. I'm quite aware her character is more prominent than the others. My point is that whats keeping her back is not something exclusive to females. If Sakura was male, she'd probably be a runt like Obito who constantly wanted to prove himself to her teamates, just as she tries to do currently without having to change much.
Old 2014-05-20, 12:44   Link #104
itachi-san314

oh you mean the same obito who became (at the time) the most powerful villain in the series? remember when sakura had her kunai to sasuke's head and hesitated? then she recently had her kunai to obito's head and had a chance to do the right thing? it's called character development and sakura never gets any
Old 2014-05-20, 13:38   Link #105
Artful_Dodger

Quote:
remember when sakura had her kunai to sasuke's head and hesitated? then she recently had her kunai to obito's head and had a chance to do the right thing? it's called character development and sakura never gets any
I wouldn't say she never gets any, but I'm as dissatisfied as anyone else with the lack of action by her and others, trust me lol. She doesn't get as much as I'd like to see, but she's leaps and bounds ahead of what she used to be.
Old 2014-05-20, 16:34   Link #106
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
remember when sakura had her kunai to sasuke's head and hesitated? then she recently had her kunai to obito's head and had a chance to do the right thing? it's called character development and sakura never gets any
Character development into what? A cold blooded killer? She and Naruto can't do such things, that's their character. Then there's Sasuke and Kakashi, they can kill people, even former teammates.
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 16:40   Link #107
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
Character development into what? A cold blooded killer? She and Naruto can't do such things, that's their character. Then there's Sasuke and Kakashi, they can kill people, even former teammates.
first off, these are ninjas... that point aside, i dont mean she needs to be a killer. destroying obito's eye wouldn't kill him. we've seen eyes popped in and out and destroyed for 100s of chapters at seemingly no cost to the host's body. i'm talking about development from a weak-minded, knee shaking little girl to someone who stands strong and carries out what she set out to do or must do in a given circumstance. sakura is still the same character she was when this all started, just at a higher level of fighting ability
Old 2014-05-20, 16:52   Link #108
DKN117

Kishi Can't Write Women; film at 11.

It's a long-established fact.

Leaving that issue aside, anyone wanna take a guess how long it'll take The Heroes to break free of the Infinite Tsukuyomi? A chapter? Five chapters? ~20 chapters (oh please, no)?
DKN117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-20, 19:07   Link #109
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
I remember a very long time ago, that Kishi wanted to write Sakura befitting her role more as a heroine. Is this chapter what he meant?
Old 2014-05-20, 22:29   Link #110
Lost_Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeblue View Post
you asked “why the weakest link in every team is the girl character”. Your question is as absurd as asking “Why the tallest person on every team is a male character”?
I know this is meant for other posters but are you for real?

You seem to be implying that because women are physically weaker in real life then it's expected, even natural for Naruto to follow suit.

Problem is this is a work of fiction. It's fantasy bro.

Physical strength, which Sakura demonstrated to be beyond all of team 7 isn't even natural nor the deciding factor. The author doesn't have to follow standard conventions, and has the option to make female characters the main focus (e.g. Claymore). He could do whatever he wants with his universe. For example:

Sakura saves Konaha from Pain? Done.
Tsunade wins against Orochimaru? Done.
Give Sakura So6p powers too? Done.
Write Lenny Kravitz in as a summon? Done.

Anything can be done with one stroke of the pen and the balls to take a little risk with his characters. But so far he's more willing to kill off Neji than to give more spotlight to female characters.

Quote:
You fail to understand the basic concept of using real life situations to prove that the Manga is not sexist. Yes, in real life there are no Chidoris or Ransegan, but Mangas, operate on some of the basic principles of real life. For example, women on average grow their hair longer than men; the manga also operates under this rule. Women get pregnant, men do not, same rule applies to the manga. In real life men, on average, are taller than women, this also applies to Naruto.
You're talking about physical attributes. If anything, Kishi takes cues from real life when it comes to women based loosely on his perception of societal gender roles and tropes instead.

In real life, seniors like Onoki don't lift up meteorites either. They develop health problems, get compromised immune systems, lose bone density, and require nursing home assistance for a better quality of life.

72 year old Muhammad Ali isn't going to knock out Manny Pacquiao anytime soon. Experience or not.

Can't pick and choose when to apply the "real life" filter to a selected group of people in a population [females] and then proceed to ignore it in another [elderly].

Quote:
Women get pregnant, men do not, same rule applies to the manga.
Kishimoto then goes one step further by effectively and conveniently writing off Kurenai for the rest of the manga. It's more evidence that Kishimoto simply doesn't know how to write women into his story effectively. Yes, he may be able to give female characters power-ups to tag along in the gentlemen's club. Women in Naruto may even be strong and have their own characterization. Compared to other mangas where females serve as eye candy with only one cup size this is light-years ahead. But this doesn't negate the fact that at the end of the day, this is still a shonen manga aimed specifically with a particular demographic in mind.

Last edited by Lost_Monkey; 2014-05-20 at 22:44.
Lost_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly spoiler discussion