AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-06-07, 11:33   Link #1
lgmcben

Warning to those who r using Bittornado.

I've experienced this myself and I think ANYONE who use priority system CAN EASILY fall into this. I may not be an expert and may even be the only one stupid but the reasons below is enough to make me post this.

I f u downloading a torrent that contains a folder and there r 5 files in that folder.
You let the torrent d/l normally until it reached 80%. Current completion percentage should look like this.

1.avi 80%
2.avi 75%
3.avi 90%
4.avi 85%
5.avi 70%

This may happen next . . .

-1- You may want to view 1.avi first so you'll set the priority of 1.avi to "Download first".

-2- You may want to know the estimate time left for ONLY 1.avi to finishes so you'll set the priority of 2.avi-5.avi to "Download never".

-3- Now 1.avi finished so you double-click 1.avi in its folder to view it. It won't play because the torrent is still running(the files is lock by default while torrent is still running). So you close the torrent and view 1.avi.

You know what? At this point, your ...

2.avi 75%
3.avi 90%
4.avi 85%
5.avi 70%

are gone !!!

In this case, if u want to keep them, set their priority back to anything but "Download never" BEFORE closing the torrent and they'll be fine.

I also notice that if you leave the torrent downloading 1.avi and set other files(which each has 80% completed) to download never. You go to bed. It's raining and there's an electric failure. If u do not have a UPS, those files will be gone too !!

I lost 4GB by my own hands(I'm not blaming anyone) and really want to tell people about this. I would like Bittornado's developers to read this too. And it'd be great if they can add a "pause" to the priority system.

^__^

Last edited by lgmcben; 2004-06-07 at 13:02.
lgmcben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 12:43   Link #2
aliensquare

who are you exactly thanking?
aliensquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 15:07   Link #3
ne0_loki

Send a message via ICQ to ne0_loki Send a message via Yahoo to ne0_loki
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensquare
who are you exactly thanking?
.... thanks for the warning!
ne0_loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 18:37   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmcben
I've experienced this myself and I think ANYONE who use priority system CAN EASILY fall into this. I may not be an expert and may even be the only one stupid but the reasons below is enough to make me post this.

I f u downloading a torrent that contains a folder and there r 5 files in that folder.
You let the torrent d/l normally until it reached 80%. Current completion percentage should look like this.

1.avi 80%
2.avi 75%
3.avi 90%
4.avi 85%
5.avi 70%

This may happen next . . .

-1- You may want to view 1.avi first so you'll set the priority of 1.avi to "Download first".

-2- You may want to know the estimate time left for ONLY 1.avi to finishes so you'll set the priority of 2.avi-5.avi to "Download never".

-3- Now 1.avi finished so you double-click 1.avi in its folder to view it. It won't play because the torrent is still running(the files is lock by default while torrent is still running). So you close the torrent and view 1.avi.

You know what? At this point, your ...

2.avi 75%
3.avi 90%
4.avi 85%
5.avi 70%

are gone !!!

In this case, if u want to keep them, set their priority back to anything but "Download never" BEFORE closing the torrent and they'll be fine.

I also notice that if you leave the torrent downloading 1.avi and set other files(which each has 80% completed) to download never. You go to bed. It's raining and there's an electric failure. If u do not have a UPS, those files will be gone too !!

I lost 4GB by my own hands(I'm not blaming anyone) and really want to tell people about this. I would like Bittornado's developers to read this too. And it'd be great if they can add a "pause" to the priority system.

^__^
First of all you can disable file locking so that you will be able to play the video. Also, I recommend clicking "Finish Allocation" before trying to play a partially downloaded video so that all of the parts of the file are in the proper place. Finally, I believe that the current verison will save all the data if you quit so can you tell me which version you are using so that I can know if I am wrong about this?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 07:02   Link #5
lgmcben

I believe it was 0.3.1.
lgmcben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 17:06   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

I was over on the BitTornado forum. He wrote that it is a feature to delete the parts of a batch that you mark "Never Download". Ouch!

Definitely never close a batch if parts are marked "Never". I'd recommend marking them "Download Later" if you think you might want them someday. Otherwise, one careless closing of the program and you'll be cursing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 19:53   Link #7
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
First of all you can disable file locking so that you will be able to play the video. Also, I recommend clicking "Finish Allocation" before trying to play a partially downloaded video so that all of the parts of the file are in the proper place. Finally, I believe that the current verison will save all the data if you quit so can you tell me which version you are using so that I can know if I am wrong about this?
NoSanninWa, i already know that i should do "finish allocation" and i did that to be able to watch downloaded episodes from a batch. However it didnt play those files. The only way that i know it play is that to stop the batch DL and then try which it will play, but then again torrent will stop downloading. Would you know how can i fix that, so i can play the downloaded torrents while not cancelling the batch?. If Disableing file locking is the only way which one of the "prefs" options would that be ^^?. I am using Bitornado 3.7 and its the stable version.

Also would you think i would have the same problem if i switched to Utorrent?. would it be easier and would you recommend it?.

Thanks alot for any one's help in advance
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 20:29   Link #8
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
utorrent has a much easier way of dealing with this.
When you first start to download you are given a choice on which files you wish to donwload in a checkbox format.

Personaly I will always recommend utorrent.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 20:45   Link #9
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
utorrent has a much easier way of dealing with this.
When you first start to download you are given a choice on which files you wish to donwload in a checkbox format.

Personaly I will always recommend utorrent.
Thanks for respond, But my problem isnt about how to check priority. Bitoranado does that with ease too. However the problem i am having is that after the DL is finished for a certain episode in the batch, i cant play that file unless i cancel the whole batch DL, which i dont want to do. How can i make it so that i can view the file while still having the Batch DL continue.
Old 2006-04-01, 20:54   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648
Thanks for respond, But my problem isnt about how to check priority. Bitoranado does that with ease too. However the problem i am having is that after the DL is finished for a certain episode in the batch, i cant play that file unless i cancel the whole batch DL, which i dont want to do. How can i make it so that i can view the file while still having the Batch DL continue.
In bittornado, go to preferences > advanced > file locking set to 'no locking'. You should be able to watch the files without canceling then.
Old 2006-04-01, 21:17   Link #11
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
In bittornado, go to preferences > advanced > file locking set to 'no locking'. You should be able to watch the files without canceling then.
When i set it to no locking, Does it allow to bittorrent still to seed my files even after i have canceled downloading of the batch?. I am asking this because the discreption sais that file locking prevent other instances of bittorent to access the files i am downloading. after i set it to no locking ,Does it still seed my file even after i click on " cancel" to stop the whole download of the batch?.

thanks alot in advance.
Old 2006-04-01, 22:23   Link #12
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
When i set it to no locking, Does it allow to bittorrent still to seed my files even after i have canceled downloading of the batch?. I am asking this because the discreption sais that file locking prevent other instances of bittorent to access the files i am downloading. after i set it to no locking ,Does it still seed my file even after i click on " cancel" to stop the whole download of the batch?.

thanks alot in advance.
Don't worry about that. All unlocking does is let other programs access the file. It won't effect bittornado's seeding functions.
Old 2006-04-01, 23:54   Link #13
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Don't worry about that. All unlocking does is let other programs access the file. It won't effect bittornado's seeding functions.
Thanks alot ^_^. Out of curiosity would you know whats the diffrent between the options " Lock while writing" and " always lock".
Old 2006-04-02, 06:22   Link #14
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Thanks alot ^_^. Out of curiosity would you know whats the diffrent between the options " Lock while writing" and " always lock".
I would hazard a guess that "lock while writing" will only lock the torrent when data is being written to it, not when it is merely opened.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 17:43   Link #15
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

uTorrent for batch/multiple torrents.
Bittornado for single torrent/seeding.

Simple as that.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote