AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-04-10, 15:53   Link #1
mangafanatic

McAfee Firewall Port Forwarding

After almost a year and a half of using bittorrent on a broadband modem without ever getting better than 150kb/s download speeds, I finally decided I was GOING to figure out this port forwarding thing. I've NEVER seen this fabled green light on bittorent. With that said, I've been working like mad to make it work. First, I forwarded the proper ports in the admin manel of my router. I run XP, but I believe my XP firewall is off. Now, I'm working to get the proper ports forwarded in McAfee. Being somewhat unfamiliar with this process (I've been using tutorials from the tutorials gods ), I've got what I figure is a very minor question which I'm sure that any of tech-senseis here at animesuki could answer. So here's the question:

When I open the port forwarding panel in personal firewall plus and click the "add" button to add a port, I get the following options-- Incoming TCP/IP Ports, Outgoing TCP/IP Ports, Incoming UDP Ports, Outgoing UDP Ports. Now, I can enter a port number into a little box to the right of each of these four categories. However, I'm not quite sure what to do. Should I enter the same port number, such as, say, 6681 into all four of those boxes? Does the question make sense?

Oh, and coincidentally, is it true that I'm going to get better download speed if I use random ports like 3397-4002 or something? Someone told me that was true, but it didn't make much sense to me. If it is true, any random ports you suggest? I'd hate to have to go in and add a whole set of different ports into the forwarded ports on my router, but I'm willing to do it if it will really help.

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate your help!
mangafanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 20:46   Link #2
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

Sorry I didn't answer sooner. I'm actually surprised no one else answered, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafanatic
When I open the port forwarding panel in personal firewall plus and click the "add" button to add a port, I get the following options-- Incoming TCP/IP Ports, Outgoing TCP/IP Ports, Incoming UDP Ports, Outgoing UDP Ports. Now, I can enter a port number into a little box to the right of each of these four categories. However, I'm not quite sure what to do. Should I enter the same port number, such as, say, 6681 into all four of those boxes? Does the question make sense?
For incoming ports, use the same as what your client is using. In other words, if your client is using TCP port 55555, then that's the incoming port you need to allow. For outgoing ports, you'll probably need to allow all of them until you get an idea for which ports your client uses. I can't say what they are for other clients, but I've noticed that with Azureus, the outgoing ports tend to be in the 1000 range (unless you bind to local port, in which case, you only need one outgoing port). You won't need UDP ports unless your client uses DHT. In that case, the same rules apply.

Quote:
Oh, and coincidentally, is it true that I'm going to get better download speed if I use random ports like 3397-4002 or something? Someone told me that was true, but it didn't make much sense to me. If it is true, any random ports you suggest? I'd hate to have to go in and add a whole set of different ports into the forwarded ports on my router, but I'm willing to do it if it will really help.
The port you choose can affect your speed, though not because of the port itself. Just choosing one at random isn't the way to go about it, though. Know what ports your ISP blocks/throttles and don't use those. Some trackers also don't allow you to connect if you're using certain ports. Typically, as long as you choose ports above 10000, you're fine.
Use Azureus? Read the wiki!
Signature Tip: Find something useful
Sofu is offline   Reply With Quote