AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-04-11, 10:52   Link #101
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Sounds like it'd have been much easier just to translate it the way it was written ... so I guess someone is working very hard to "Atlus-ize" it.

Its hard not to think of that as like "4kids" or the folks who "americanized" Pokemon. .... but eh.... its not like the show has Shakespearean exposition to mangle. However, I'll spend my download pipe budget elsewhere for now until someone else gives it a shot.

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-04-12 at 00:49.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 14:24   Link #102
Sophia
Queen Bitch
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Translation Style

I'm sure the majority of you have expressed your concern about our translation style.

I will say this one more time. Anime Universe does use a literal translation style, but it is adapted to a Western context upon editing. This should account for the frequent "slang" and "curse words" which may come up from time to time. Some of you have stated that this is "Americanized" and "dub-titled", among other things. We do this because we sub for a primarily Western audience. The reason why it looks like an American dubbing company did it is because we meant it to look like that.

If you feel uncomfortable watching our subs, we urge you to watch other fansub groups' releases. None of you are being forced to watch our releases, and we don't want to waste our bandwidth giving you something you clearly don't want. Why am I saying this? Several people have been complaining time and time again about how our translation style "sucks" and that we should adopt a more literal style, which they assert is more "accurate" and "faithful" to the original script.

I have news for you. We have no intention of changing our translation style. None of your complaints are going to change our minds. If you feel you're in the right, I invite you to discuss this with me via e-mail or IRC. I think you'd have a better chance of proving your bravado when you're speaking directly to me.

I'll leave this on the table, just like our releases. It's up to you whether you pick it up or not.

Otherwise, quit the bitching. It's pointless and annoying. I think people would rather talk about how they feel about Disgaea rather than bitch about it. You know you who are.

Furthermore, I assume some of you have watched "Shuffle!" and remember how the first episodes were dull and uninteresting. After a few episodes, we literally had to KILL the downloads because you guys just wouldn't stop getting leeching. You've watched one episode of Disgaea. Don't you think it's a little too early to pass judgment on it? Shuffle and Disgaea are both similar in the respect that they are based on a game. I don't know if Shuffle! has been played just as much as Disgaea, but remember that both the game and the series had their respective merits. Give it a chance. This isn't a ploy to manipulate you into downloading our stuff. It's a warning that you may very well regret blowing these kinds of series off.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 15:46   Link #103
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
I certainly don't think AnimeU should change its style ... for the majority of Shuffle, I actually preferred it because it captured the spirit of what they'd be saying without really mucking about too much. The only problem with such an approach is that it has a higher risk of mutating the intent of the scene. With Shuffle!, I found it interesting to compare, say, Froth-Bite, with yours just to watch the translation differences and compare that with my own take on the translation. Primates learn by watching and practicing...

I was probably a bit harsh in my previous post ... its more a case of my available bandwidth budget versus the other shows I'm following rather than concerns about the translation. Disgaea just didn't press my interest buttons as much as I thought, so I'll wait a few episodes and then take another look.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...2&postcount=83 was my first post on the subject.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:54   Link #104
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Starks
Ep2 raw out.
__________________
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 17:12   Link #105
Archuka
A territory most absolute
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Finland
Age: 28
I was dissappointed with the first episode.

I didn't like the way they completely changed the story at all. The first episode also tried to introduce too many characters and in the wrong order in my opinion. Another thing I noticed was that the anime version seems to take the fights much more seriously than the game. In the game we had the hilarious and extremely overexaggerated attack animations. The anime, however, delivers what seem to be badly animated generic shounen-style fights.

It wasn't all bad, though; Flonne was done very well. I found her incredibly cute in the anime as opposed to occasionally funny, but mostly annoying in the game.

The good:
- Flonne
- It's Disgaea!

The bad:
- Poorly done fights
- Poor animation
- Messed up storyline
- Everything seems so average!



About the English localization of Disgaea:

The PAL version of Disgaea did for some mind-boggling reason not include the Japanese audio track, so I can't really compare to it, however, I do think Atlus did a good job with the localization. The Dark Adonis was funny even though it wasn't an accurate translation and I bet the prinnys are a lot funnier in Eigo with their "Dood!". The voice acting was overall very well done also. I have no complaints about the voice actors'/actresses' performances. Just try comparing it to something like Xenogears *shivers*.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 18:13   Link #106
itzfurrball
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Israel
Age: 35
Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
"kusaaai desuuuu..." (Flonne's first line, "it smeeells"). Flonne’s voicing makes half of the show for me, really.
itzfurrball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 19:48   Link #107
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy
No, we are complaining because this was not funny in any way.
Oh come ON! How can you say Leharl being weak against big breasts ISN'T funny!? I laughed quite hard. :P
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 23:06   Link #108
Sieg
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Is Flonne's VA one of the sister in Magikano? The way she speaks sounds like it.
Sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 23:40   Link #109
Sophia
Queen Bitch
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
The good:
- Flonne
- It's Disgaea!

The bad:
- Poorly done fights
- Poor animation
- Messed up storyline
- Everything seems so average!
Poorly done fights. You mean fight, right? You've only seen one fight. You've seen many sequences with mass chaos and damage ensuing, but only one fight. Laharl's confrontation with Gordon wasn't a fight. That was a "warm-up". Laharl catching that guy's sword with his bare hands wasn't a fight. What kind of fight lasts 3 seconds (the time it takes to activate Blazing Knuckle)? What kind of fights are you comparing them to? Dragonball fights? Fights where the character's introduction alone takes a whole season? Whatever.

Poor animation? What's this mean? What do you want, Gonzo 3-D effects? If that's what you want, maybe we can petition the production studio. Maybe they can give us the 3-D effects, and we can make 600-megabyte releases for you guys. Hey, what's 4x the download time when you guys get all the cool, state-of-the-art special effects?

Messed-up storyline? Ever heard of "don't judge a book by its cover"? You barely scratched the surface and you think you're Roger Ebert. Psh. You haven't even seen 10% of the goddamned series. Messed-up compared to the game? What game? Oh, the one Atlus released, right? The American release of Disgaea? I thought you guys didn't like the American release. First, you say that American release sucks, and then you're complaining because the anime doesn't resemble it. And, don't give me that crap about playing the Japanese version. The Japanese track wasn't included, and I don't expect any of you Japanophiles to know the difference between the two even if it were included.

Everything seems so average? Compared to what? Fullmetal Alchemist, with all 52 episodes finished? Magikano? Shuffle? Hantsuki? In case you were wondering, the last three received the same reviews at first. What review? "OMG ANOTHER HAREM ANIME SO FUCKING BORING OMGWTFLOL" And, then we literally had to cut down on the bandwidth for those because you guys kept sucking them up like you were a fleet of Oreck vacuum cleaners. Our DDL page literally broke within minutes.

You guys aren't reviewing the anime. How do I know? You graded this thing a long time before it was released. I checked the AniDB database. 20 votes with an average of 9.2 were cast BEFORE any raw was released. All you did grade your expectations; the hype. "This anime sounds cool, so I'll give it a review before I see it." After a few weeks, when you do see it, "OMG THIS ANIME ISN'T WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE IT SUCKS." Most of you are just equating "difference" to a lack of quality. Don't give it a bad grade because you disillusioned yourself. Don't give it a low rating because you were stupid and didn't know any better. Give it a bad grade because it deserves a bad grade, not because you were clueless.

Last edited by Sophia; 2006-04-11 at 23:51.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:12   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
Poorly done fights. You mean fight, right? ....

In case you were wondering, the last three received the same reviews at first. What review? "OMG ANOTHER HAREM ANIME SO FUCKING BORING OMGWTFLOL" And, then we literally had to cut down on the bandwidth for those because you guys kept sucking them up like you were a fleet of Oreck vacuum cleaners. Our DDL page literally broke within minutes.

You guys aren't reviewing the anime. How do I know? You graded this thing a long time before it was released. I checked the AniDB database. 20 votes with an average of 9.2 were cast BEFORE any raw was released. All you did grade your expectations; the hype. "This anime sounds cool, so I'll give it a review before I see it." After a few weeks, when you do see it, "OMG THIS ANIME ISN'T WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE IT SUCKS." Most of you are just equating "difference" to a lack of quality. Don't give it a bad grade because you disillusioned yourself. Don't give it a low rating because you were stupid and didn't know any better. Give it a bad grade because it deserves a bad grade, not because you were clueless.
You know you might get a bit more support or sympathy if you'd stop shooting everything that moved and lumping everyone into one basket, this group "you". Because basically you don't come off well. You're also confusing critique of the series itself with your own work, it looks like.
I happen to think ya'll do a pretty fair job but this is the second time I've seen you jump into a thread and call everyone except yourself worthless.

If you have specific complaints against a post, respond to that poster. Throwing monkey-poo at everyone in the thread really didn't help your argument (which actually had some merit).

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-04-12 at 00:46.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 00:30   Link #111
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Starks
WHY HASN'T ANYONE SAID A WORD ABOUT THE SECOND EPISODE YET?

I torrented it hours ago!
__________________
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 01:30   Link #112
Sophia
Queen Bitch
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
You know you might get a bit more support or sympathy if you'd stop shooting everything that moved and lumping everyone into one basket, this group "you". Because basically you don't come off well. You're also confusing critique of the series itself with your own work, it looks like.
I happen to think ya'll do a pretty fair job but this is the second time I've seen you jump into a thread and call everyone except yourself worthless.

If you have specific complaints against a post, respond to that poster. Throwing monkey-poo at everyone in the thread really didn't help your argument (which actually had some merit).
For your information, that wasn't directed at just the poster, but the people who fit the description. If you don't, then don't bother reading my comments.

I'm not looking for sympathy. What use do I have for sympathy? I don't your support. We'll sub it ANYWAY. I couldn't care less what you guys think of our subs. Didn't I say that? We'll keep doing it regardless of what you post. What makes you think I give a damn about sympathy? We sub because we like to sub. We don't sub because we want sympathy. If we want sympathy, we'll become spokespeople for Greenpeace and all the homeless children of the world.

Confusing the series with my work? Yeah, right. I know people are disappointed with our subs. I also know people will be disappointed even if we didn't sub this, and in fact, I think they'll be even more disappointed if we didn't sub this. But, the fact of the matter is, they already had their preconceptions about Disgaea, AU sub or not. Those people with the preconceptions disillusioned themselves, and it's no one's fault but their own.

Do you mean to tell me that several of these posters didn't have these preconceptions? "It's not like the game!" Don't tell me you didn't hear any lines like these.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 01:30   Link #113
Green²
It's Magic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Up and to the Left
Age: 34
Spoiler for Ep.1 NSFW²:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
WHY HASN'T ANYONE SAID A WORD ABOUT THE SECOND EPISODE YET?

I torrented it hours ago!
http://www.rpguru.com/series.php/759.html
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 01:35   Link #114
Diedrupo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
I will have to admit, I thought the show was quite poor, it being aimed at kids after all, however I loved the video game so I will continue watching it. I would not recommend this show to people who haven't played the game but I think fans of the game will enjoy it somewhat.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 01:55   Link #115
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
For your information, that wasn't directed at just the poster, but the people who fit the description. If you don't, then don't bother reading my comments.

...

Do you mean to tell me that several of these posters didn't have these preconceptions? "It's not like the game!" Don't tell me you didn't hear any lines like these.
Yes, I did -- thats where your post had merit. A lot of people were apparently expecting a scene by scene re-enactment of a game or something (bleh).
What I objected to was the shotgun blast at everyone ... at least thats what your syntax implied. "you guys" isn't very specific and in a forum or any discussion is usually taken as directed at everyone.

I just rewatched the first ep.... the dialog is pretty banal, so the AnimeU style of spiking it up a bit is probably going to help it. Ah well... I'll check back in after a few episodes and watch 2 or 3 eps at once to see what I think about the series itself. 1 ep (as you say) is insufficient to judge most anime.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 02:02   Link #116
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
I'm going to say, for the record, that I actually found it kind of amusing. Though obviously I haven't played the game or anything. Not great by any means, but kind of amusing.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 06:58   Link #117
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diedrupo
I will have to admit, I thought the show was quite poor, it being aimed at kids after all, however I loved the video game so I will continue watching it. I would not recommend this show to people who haven't played the game but I think fans of the game will enjoy it somewhat.
I have not played the game but I already love this show.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 07:19   Link #118
Paracelsus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to Paracelsus
Sophia: On the contrary I really hated the typesetting. Thumbs down.

Chiibi: play the game: the best way to get spoiled
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 10:10   Link #119
Archuka
A territory most absolute
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Finland
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
Poorly done fights. You mean fight, right? You've only seen one fight. You've seen many sequences with mass chaos and damage ensuing, but only one fight. Laharl's confrontation with Gordon wasn't a fight. That was a "warm-up". Laharl catching that guy's sword with his bare hands wasn't a fight. What kind of fight lasts 3 seconds (the time it takes to activate Blazing Knuckle)? What kind of fights are you comparing them to? Dragonball fights? Fights where the character's introduction alone takes a whole season? Whatever.
Perhaps I should have said "Poorly animated fighting" instead then. Where a fight begins and ends is irrelevant.

It didn't make me go "wow!" It made me roll my eyes. Thus poorly done.

And no, I'm not a fan of DB. In fact, I hate the use of strong shounen clichés.

Quote:
Poor animation? What's this mean? What do you want, Gonzo 3-D effects? If that's what you want, maybe we can petition the production studio. Maybe they can give us the 3-D effects, and we can make 600-megabyte releases for you guys. Hey, what's 4x the download time when you guys get all the cool, state-of-the-art special effects?
Poor animation as in poor animation. Just go and compare to something like Suzumia Haruhi no Yuutsu. It's like night and day! The gargoyles didn't even move their mouths when they spoke! Also, the horn rocket attack was just so baaad.

Quote:
Messed-up storyline? Ever heard of "don't judge a book by its cover"? You barely scratched the surface and you think you're Roger Ebert. Psh. You haven't even seen 10% of the goddamned series.
What I saw in episode 1 in terms of storyline progression (the way they introduced characters and the setting) did not impress me. It felt rushed and amateurish.

Quote:
Messed-up compared to the game? What game? Oh, the one Atlus released, right? The American release of Disgaea? I thought you guys didn't like the American release. First, you say that American release sucks, and then you're complaining because the anime doesn't resemble it. And, don't give me that crap about playing the Japanese version. The Japanese track wasn't included, and I don't expect any of you Japanophiles to know the difference between the two even if it were included.
What the fuck are you on?

The American release did have the Japanese track and obviously the game was still the same even if the voice acting and certain expressions were changed.

I even praised the English localization of the game and here you go flaming me for hating the English voice acting?? You aren't making any sense.

Quote:
Everything seems so average? Compared to what? Fullmetal Alchemist, with all 52 episodes finished? Magikano? Shuffle? Hantsuki? In case you were wondering, the last three received the same reviews at first. What review? "OMG ANOTHER HAREM ANIME SO FUCKING BORING OMGWTFLOL" And, then we literally had to cut down on the bandwidth for those because you guys kept sucking them up like you were a fleet of Oreck vacuum cleaners. Our DDL page literally broke within minutes.
It seemed average as in I did not see quality. I know quality when I see it and in episode 1 the only quality I saw (and heard) was Flonne. Everything else was either bad or acceptable in my opinion.

Now please stop with the fan subbing since you obviously can't handle it. Or perhaps you should make your subs a bit worse so people wouldn't download them so much? Now that's a thought!
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 11:46   Link #120
Sophia
Queen Bitch
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Let's be perfectly clear. I can handle the fansubbing and the feedback from viewers like you.

It's the illogic and ignorance from most of you which I cannot stand.

My point has always been that you are comparing this series too closely to the game, concerning yourselves with picking it apart and critiquing each piece instead of wondering why the anime series was put together the way it was. It's not the game. It's the anime series. Why don't you finish the series first before comparing it to the game? All right, why don't we try comparing something to the game?

Chapter 1: Laharl's training.

That's a game chapter. Chapter 1 isn't even part of the story. It's a training run. I find it ironic that you're saying the introduction's storyline sucks compared to the game's, when the game's introduction doesn't even have a damned story. If the first episode was a training run, would you like it?

Why do you think the story was rearranged? Perhaps they were thinking of the people who already played the game and didn't want to give them something they spoiled before they saw it. Perhaps a new storyline is interesting. Or, perhaps you were expecting a climax during the introduction, when those usually come after half the series has been completed.

The storyline seemed rushed, right? So, a lot must've happened. Never mind the fact that we have nothing but Flonne and Laharl exchanging words during the first half. Perhaps you should explain why it felt "rushed".

You don't see quality. You see taste. "Good quality" and "bad quality" are just aspects of taste. You know quality when you see it? No. You know what you LIKE when you see it. Something being inherently good and appearing good are two different things. The gargoyles didn't move their mouths when they spoke? Ever think of why they used that style of animation?

Furthermore, you're trying to compare two things: the game and the series, without considering the possibility that they could be two different entities (i.e. alternate universe) and that there could be a very good reason why. You said you liked it because it was Disgaea, yet you think that the animation, storyline, character introductions, and several other aspects are unappealing. It's like saying you like a hamburger you just ate even though it was oily, greasy, and tasted like ass. Why did you like it? Because it's a hamburger. According to your logic, you'd like anything with "Disgaea" emblazoned on it, so why are you complaining?
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.