AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2004-06-26, 13:17   Link #1
Can't get enough

Exclamation ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.043 causes connection hangups with BitTorrent clients

Hi All
I'm having trouble downloading via bittorent, All begins well but after 10 mins or so the download rate begins to drop until no data is being transfered. Also, once this has happened I cannot start or quit any programs, even through taskmanager and i am left with no option but a restart
I know my connection is ok as i have a Mac that will download with no problems
I'm Running Zone alarm version 5.0.590.043 and have read that this can cause problems. Any ideas?
Sorry if this has been covered already but I searched the forums and couldn't find a comprehensive answer

Thanks
Can't get enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 13:35   Link #2
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
EDIT: Just to get things straight: ZoneAlarm 5.0.590.043 causes connection hangups with BitTorrent clients! If you are using this ZoneAlarm version, you should downgrade at once! Read below on how to do that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't get enough
Hi All
I'm having trouble downloading via bittorent, All begins well but after 10 mins or so the download rate begins to drop until no data is being transfered. Also, once this has happened I cannot start or quit any programs, even through taskmanager and i am left with no option but a restart
I know my connection is ok as i have a Mac that will download with no problems
I'm Running Zone alarm version 5.0.590.043 and have read that this can cause problems. Any ideas?
Sorry if this has been covered already but I searched the forums and couldn't find a comprehensive answer

Thanks
Since you already know that ZoneAlarm is the troublemaker, why don't you uninstall it and install an older version?

Some more information was posted by xris in other threads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
From the info you supplied, this is only a guess but it may well be the cause of your problems.

The latest version of ZoneAlarm (5.0.590.015) is causing system hangs and network problems when installed. It seems the number of packets transferred when running BT (using any of the BT clients) will cause the PC to apparently hang or loose the network connection after a random amount of time.

I had exactly this problem and solved it by following the current advice issued by ZoneAlarm, which is to uninstall ZA v5 and install ZA v4.5. The system now is working fine again (the problem occurred for me as soon as I installed ZA v5).

Please note:
You have to actually uninstall ZA v5 from your system. Just stopping ZA from running isn't enough because it seems the problem lies in the 'True Vector' v5 code, which (at my guess) is still active even when ZA isn't running.

For more info, visit the Zone Alarm forums. Read the following thread if you wish to uninstall ZA v5 (as a simple uninstall isn't enough).
IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH ANY VERSION OF ZONEALARM VERSION 5 PLEASE READ!

Since you mention ZoneAlarm, then I bet it's the problem.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?
You can still find my Azureus Download Guide here

By all means, make sure to read this.

Last edited by _Sin_; 2004-06-26 at 20:49.
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 13:40   Link #3
Can't get enough

Thanks for that, just wanted to know if there was any workaround. Oh well will have to downgrade
Can't get enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-26, 13:43   Link #4
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't get enough
Thanks for that, just wanted to know if there was any workaround. Oh well will have to downgrade
Make sure you read the link in xris' quote first because they tell you how to do a clean downgrade.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. That did not happen in this case because _Sin_ is so boring that he never even had a signature to remove anyway. So why is this text here? To attract attention of course - isn't that what a signature is for?

Old 2004-07-13, 09:31   Link #5
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I notice that ZoneAlarm forums have deleted the posts explaining how to do a 'clean' uninstall of ZoneAlarm v5. Looks like there are some internal politics going on about the problems there are with v5 and certain p2p clients.

Not all is lost because the ZA guru (Hoov) who made the posts has the instructions up and available on his own website.

If you want instructions on how to correctly uninstall v5 then have a look here

Performing a Clean Uninstall/Reinstall

Please note:
1) You have to actually uninstall ZA v5 from your system. Just stopping ZA from running isn't enough because it seems the problem lies in the 'True Vector' v5 code, which (at my guess) is still active even when ZA isn't running.
2) You must perform a clean uninstall of ZoneAlarm, if you do not do this, the problem will still be there after you install 4.5!
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-22, 11:41   Link #6
cerealz

Hi everyone...
Im also experiencing the same problem with zonealarm 5.
sigh...
Is there anywhere to dl zonealarm 4.5?

Would this be a better way to uninstall zonealarm?
http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...tallNonNT.html
or is Hoov's method better?

thx!
cerealz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-26, 05:07   Link #7
SleeplessHeart
Sakuya - Rosa Tsukkomi

Previous versions of ZoneAlarm can be found here
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

I had a problem with Zone Alarm 5.0. I followed Hoov's method PLUS registry cleaning procedure. I also found out that ABC client has problems with any zone alarm versions on my windows XP system.
SleeplessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 06:37   Link #8
rmd

Zone Alarm 5.0 responsible for BitTorrent problems. Testing proved it!!!

I was having major Windows XP stablity problems using BitTorrent. Under certain circumstances, my download and upload rates would slowly degrade to zero. The system wouldn't shutdown or restart. Task manager wouldn't come up and neither would IE or other applications for that matter. All Internet connectivity was lost (ping, telnet, DNS, etc.) The mouse would still move and I could limp along with some other basic things, but I had to power-off the machine everyday for the past two months to be able to recover the functionality of my computer. I thought it was BT at first, but after some extensive testing, with multiple clients (see below) the result prove that Zone Alarm 5.0 is responsible for my problems - which other BT users have been pointing to for the past two months as well.

Prior to Zone Alarm 5.0, I was able to upload/download 40-50GB a week using BitTorrent. I'm developing a packet capturing application and was using BitTorrent to stress test it. I haven't been able to use BitTorrent for testing after upgrading to Zone Alarm 5.0 on May 25th.

Zone Alarm 5.0 cannot handle a signinficant number of connections with a high transfer rate. Under certain circumstances (which can be duplicated), it steps all over Windows XP and completely trashes the O/S.

Here is a copy of my post at a BT forum:

I didn't want to believe the test results at first, but Zone Alarm 5.0 is responsible for my freezing problems. After having problems with 4 clients, including Azureus, which is Java based, I uninstalled ZA and installed Sygate. Sure enough, the problems went away using BitTornado and Azureus.

At the moment, I've got 5 BitTornado clients running, 150 connections to peers/seeds and my download rates are 200+kb /down, 50+kb/up for all 5 torrents. I can surf the Web with no problems, start and stop BitTornado clients with no problems. It's clear enough to me that ZA is at fault! I was also able to run 5 downloads and 2 seeds under Azureus with no problems. Using Zone Alarm 5.0, the system would have frozen within 20 minutes.

The important key, is that you need to install another firewall. Sygate is just one example. ZA does "something" to your operating system (files/registry/configuration) when it's installed. I believe that just uninstalling Zone Alarm alone will not fix your problem - you have to install another firewall. More testing is required, but if you install another firewall your freezing problem should go away. NOTE: Zone Alarm 4.594 doesn't freeze up my computer.

If you've been having problems, please try this and report your results!

System Information:

Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
1.0 GB RAM
Windows XP
Intel(R) PRO/100 VE
RADEON 9800 Pro w/128 MB
rmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 07:41   Link #9
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Ummm, yes thank you

We've known about this problem for over a month now. The real question I have now is if the just released ZoneAlarm 5.1.011 is any better than ZA 5.0?

This new ZA 5.1 version was just released in the last day or so. Has anyone installed it and are there any problems. Guess I should go and have a look at the ZA forums
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-02, 14:03   Link #10
rmd

Smile ZoneAlarm 5.1.011 has problems!

Don't upgrade to ZoneAlarm 5.1.011! Quite a number of people have been reporting problems. Even I had problems. It appears to be overwriting one or more shared files, which may break one or more of your other applications.

Check out the ZoneLab user forum for more details:

Installation, Uninstall and Upgrade:
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=inst

BTW - Thanks for fixing my account !!
rmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-14, 21:26   Link #11
~Keitaro~

I've installed the newest version and i have no problems
~Keitaro~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 22:34   Link #12
Syca

PLease Reply to this!!!!

Hi I'm having the same problem but I have no clue what my zone alarm is now. I know it's Zone Alarm Pro... Let me check... Never mind it's Zone alarm 4.0 but it still kicks me off but I'm still thinking it's my AOL 9.0 Since I originally had Zone alarm up and I had no troubles + I was using AOL 8.0. What a rip off!!
Can't you just Shutdown the Zone Alarm and then download?
I usaully just download a amv and that usaully keeps the internet on.

Anyway what do you guys think?
Syca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-29, 22:40   Link #13
luckme10
Just call me G

Location: California, bay area or is it San Diego... not sure
Send a message via AIM to luckme10
using version 5.1.011.000 ...no problems except maybe not enough sharers...
luckme10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 07:57   Link #14
Faint

Just use another firewall because ZoneAlarm has so many published loopholes. It will also deny you access to your router when it's not even on.
Faint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 15:32   Link #15
kikko_s
What's in a name....?

Send a message via AIM to kikko_s
zoneAlarm blows

ZoneAlarm sucks man, just get Norton Firewall or BlackIce (even though you have to pay). Windows XP sp2 has a decent firewall as well. You may want to further protect yourself by getting msn toolbar, google toolbar, AIM toolbar, and yahoo toolbar as they provide a 5 layer protection against popups and the ensuing spyware. Muahahahaha.
kikko_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 15:46   Link #16
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

You are funny

Old 2004-12-29, 17:49   Link #17
Netr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessHeart
Previous versions of ZoneAlarm can be found here
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

I had a problem with Zone Alarm 5.0. I followed Hoov's method PLUS registry cleaning procedure. I also found out that ABC client has problems with any zone alarm versions on my windows XP system.
Thanks for the link, sleeplessheart. Was looking everywhere for the firewall never thought of the history linke :/ - But my BT dls moved from 40kbps max peak to 420kbps peak
Netr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 16:00   Link #18
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

WHOA! I so should of read this thread awhile ago!

I thought it was Azerus, as it would freeze and make a mess out of my normally "sweet" running compy! I started using ABC and took off Zone Alarm completely so now it doesn't lock up, but sometimes I've wondered wtf is going on from time to time.

Man I never would of thought it was this that was the problem, DOMO!!!!!

*and my kids told me I was on crack when I asked them* *ger*
Old 2006-04-10, 16:09   Link #19
Kingofkongs

erm can anyone tell me how to clean uninstall zone alarm because Hoov's website is gone.

Cheers
Kingofkongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 06:49   Link #20
Craze

Hmm, I hope I'm not too late but I have a question as well-

I'm using Zone Alarm 5.5.062.011, and once I start a task with my BT client my Internet connection freezes after a while. Other stuff works fine, just the connection. This problem is worst with BitComet, but not as bad with BitTornado or uTorrent (I'm able to regain my Internet connection if I open several webpages)

Would like to know if the problem lies within Zone Alarm or something else.
Craze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiki candidate