AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-06, 16:02   Link #21
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

If worse comes to worse, people will make modchips for TV's or DVD players. There's no problem getting a raw, so that's definitely not a problem. But I do agree that 2006 will be the beginning of the end (of English fansubs) for a different reason. More and more shows are getting prelicensed, that means major groups won't touch it, smaller groups usually give up half way. So fansubs will be released slower and more stalled show, eventually the fansub "scene" will come to an end.
Old 2006-04-06, 22:36   Link #22
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSil80
If worse comes to worse, people will make modchips for TV's or DVD players. There's no problem getting a raw, so that's definitely not a problem. But I do agree that 2006 will be the beginning of the end (of English fansubs) for a different reason. More and more shows are getting prelicensed, that means major groups won't touch it, smaller groups usually give up half way. So fansubs will be released slower and more stalled show, eventually the fansub "scene" will come to an end.
If I was in charge of local distribution, I would (ideally, albiet impossibly) pre-license and dub/sub the anime alongside the Japanese production, let it air, and 5 episodes before it finished, announce the license and have collector's edition boxes on shelf within a week. Then, wait a month, and start releasing the series "normally", 1 DVD every 3 weeks or so, while still offering the complete collection as an option for the impatient.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 21:26   Link #23
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophismata
If I was in charge of local distribution, I would (ideally, albiet impossibly) pre-license and dub/sub the anime alongside the Japanese production, let it air, and 5 episodes before it finished, announce the license and have collector's edition boxes on shelf within a week. Then, wait a month, and start releasing the series "normally", 1 DVD every 3 weeks or so, while still offering the complete collection as an option for the impatient.
And no japanese company would want to work with you for undercutting their sales. Things like you describe only happen in dream worlds.

Also, the OP is paranoid. Media can always be copied/intercepted. Nothing can be done to stop it. The only thing they can do is make it harder. Also, most anime does not air in HD despite what fansubbers would like you to believe.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 23:00   Link #24
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

As long as people can still tape episodes and send me a translated VHS, fansubbing will never die for me. I'll just have to add to the boxes of old VHS fansubs sitting in my closet. As much as television companies and such attempt to stop all attempts at piracy, there is one force that everyone constantly underestimates: that basic human desire to attain something for the least amount of resources (or, in this case, for free).

This won't do anything to fansubbing. It will only give pirates a chance to prove their mettle.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 06:10   Link #25
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
I think the determination for that would be if the series has English subtitles or not. What might be interesting, though, would be if anime companies decide to effectively "license" their series themselves buy putting English subtitles on their DVDs, considering the regions are now shared...

Although that's not likely to happen, I wonder what effect that would have on the industry as a whole?
Since HD-DVD and Blu-ray disc are claiming to support
downloadable/external subitles and audio tracks, it might change the situation.
Maybe one day we end up with japanese companies offering
english subs for their HD-DVD/Blu-ray releases for download.
Or even better, we could make own subtitles ^^.
This would be a win-win situation for the orignal license holder and for us foreigners.

However i reckon this feature of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray might
not be supported well, similar to features not use on DVDs.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 19:34   Link #26
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeSil80
I think increasing prelicensing and also the licensing that occurs during the season in which the anime originally airs will cause some fansub groups who will only work on unlicensed projects to more seriously question what they should try to work on or avoid, and for some groups they may start to wonder if it's time to get out of the hobby because it isn't as much fun for them as it used to be. At the same time this is happening I wouldn't be suprised to see an increase in the number of individuals and groups distributing US release anime and manga the same as others have distributed software, movies, tv series episodes, books, and music.

One positive aspect for fansubs may be a shift away from the latest and greatest anime that's currently airing which are most likely to be licensed, with more attention given to new series which are good but for various reasons are long shots for becoming licensed. There's also the possibility of groups working on good series from past seasons that still remain unlicensed. These older series might have been passed over in the rush by groups who wanted to work on the most popular new series airing at that time. Just think of how many times in the past people have complained about multiple groups all jumping in to work on the same series...whenever this happened there would always be other series airing which slipped through the cracks and were never fansubbed. Doesn't mean those other series had no value, many just had less value at the time than the most popular choices for new projects. If the raws can still be obtained groups can go back and pick-up those series for current projects. I think this would take the fansub scene back more towards an old goal...to fansub anime that people outside of Japan might never have the opportunity to watch and enjoy.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 23:47   Link #27
Ness
Music Whore

Send a message via MSN to Ness
Hardly. Just like everything in the world, if x is developed, y will be, too. Just like - forgive the comparision - virus. Even when a new OS system is released, there are always, at least, one virus able to corrupt this new enhanced OS.

As for what TougeSil80 said, I don't think that they will come to an end because people will get frustrated for it being so slow. There is the issue of money, which means that not everyone can afford them right away. There are also buyers who prefer to see one or two episodes before actually buying the anime.

I hardly believe fansubs will come to an end. As someone said it before, "if there's a will, there's a way."