AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2006-04-24, 20:27   Link #1
phoenix craft
A devil in disguise

Just switched modems?

I just switched to a cable modem from a dsl modem and now I can't use any p2p programs.

Azureus says that it connects but nothing downloads.

I'm not behind a firewall or a router and the modem connects directly to my computer, what could be causing the problem and how do I fix it?
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
-- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, "Good Omens"
phoenix craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 21:45   Link #2
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

The cable modem may have built-in NAT and/or a firewall. Check portforward.com to see if your modem is listed there, and if it is, follow the directions. Also check firewalling.com as well, just to rule out that possibility. (Links to both sites are in my sig if you need them.)

If that doesn't fix it for you, you're going to need to give more info. For a start, the color of the smileys for the torrents you've tried and the name of those torrents so we can try to determine if the problem really is on your end.
Use Azureus? Read the wiki!
Signature Tip: Find something useful
Sofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 22:08   Link #3
phoenix craft
A devil in disguise

The modem doesn't have a nat/firewall and isn't on either of the lists you gave.

The smileys go green but the download and upload rate stay at zero.

It's not the torrent, I got 60% downloaded on the first modem and it currently says there are 17 seeds, it just wont move.

It's not just Azureus that's stopped working, all of my p2p programs have stopped working properly.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Old 2006-04-24, 22:41   Link #4
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

Hmm.... Since you just changed ISPs, it may be your new one is blocking bittorrent. Check this list. If you see your ISP there, you'll probably need to try enabling encryption.
Old 2006-04-24, 22:53   Link #5
SomeWhiteGuy

Also change your ports that your BT client is working with (helps against ISP noticing your torrents)
SomeWhiteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 00:31   Link #6
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

also, try encrypted downloads. IF ISP blocking, this sometimes bypasses ISP packet shaping applications.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 14:20   Link #7
phoenix craft
A devil in disguise

My isp was on the list of bad isp's but the only catagory that was listed for them was the one that says "limits bandwidth for accounts with a high traffic volume"

Would that be the problem?
Old 2006-04-25, 16:14   Link #8
phoenix craft
A devil in disguise

Never mind, switched back to the old connection.

A faster connection isn't worth it if I can't download anything.
Old 2006-04-25, 16:50   Link #9
Sofu
Cheeky Cat

Well, basically what they were doing was capping your bandwidth (i.e. limiting your speeds) after you used a certain amount. Depending on who it was, it may have been a monthly limit which automatically resets (and therefore uncaps) at the beginning of each month (or whatever their time period is), or you would have needed to call them to have them uncap you. Capping your bandwidth will affect everything, not just bittorrent, so I don't think there's much you can do about it except learn what their limits are and watch how much bandwidth you use.

That said, it shouldn't have stopped bittorrent completely (though it will certainly slow you down a lot). I know you've decided to switch back to your old service (don't blame you), but on the remote chance someone else happens across this thread in their search for an answer to a similar problem, I'll go ahead and give my last bit of advice.

Since you were getting green smileys, I can't imagine the problem being a NAT/firewall issue. At this point, I was going to suggest you try starting with level 1 encryption (as listed in the Azureus wiki) and go up from there. Allow a few minutes (shouldn't take more than 15, I'd think) after each change for the other peers in the swarm to notice it and react accordingly. Also, I was going to suggest you make sure to try this on a large swarm so you have a lot of peers to work with. Only a few clients (at least that I know of) support Azureus's encryption implementation, so large swarms should almost guarantee you'll be able to connect to somebody.