AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-05-12, 09:44   Link #1
guess

DVD + RW dual layer?

Is this DVD + dual layer rewritable? I see this "RW" on the package. I thought it was until I burned it then there is an error message that the disc is not empty therefore, not enough space.

I tried to erase the data then it says something like this disc is not rewritable or it cannot be erased.

I am using memorex dvd+R DL.
Old 2006-05-12, 13:05   Link #2
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Is this DVD + dual layer rewritable? I see this "RW" on the package. I thought it was until I burned it then there is an error message that the disc is not empty therefore, not enough space.

I tried to erase the data then it says something like this disc is not rewritable or it cannot be erased.

I am using memorex dvd+R DL.
No. Unless it explicitly says DVD+RW on the package, it is not rewritable. Do not confuse the alliance tag with the DVD tag. ( Upper left and DVD+R with RW alliance tag with +R underneath (not slow connection friendly). Notice that under the alliance tag, it says what type it is +ReWritable and +R (See either pic above) respectively.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 17:15   Link #3
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
No. Unless it explicitly says DVD+RW on the package, it is not rewritable. Do not confuse the alliance tag with the DVD tag. ( Upper left and DVD+R with RW alliance tag with +R underneath (not slow connection friendly). Notice that under the alliance tag, it says what type it is +ReWritable and +R (See either pic above) respectively.
Oh, great, now I have a bunch of dvd only recordable but not rewiteable. thank you.

By the way, is there such thing as DVD + RW dual layer, as in rewritable and 8.5 GB about?

Sicne we are on the subject, what dvd +RW or - RW do you recommend? I only have memorex because it is cheap. I heard they are not stable, as in sometimes they don't burn well or they are corrupted after a while. I am looking for duration and stability because this is my way to back up stuff and store them as long as possible.

Last edited by guest; 2006-05-12 at 17:27.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 17:41   Link #4
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
I don't recommend either dual layer, or RW for backups. The most stable DVD recordable is the single layer -R in my experience. Whatever disk type you go for, though, you should buy Taiyo Yuden. Visit www.rima.com for the best media store I ever tried. Memorex disks are pretty poor. They use CMC Magnetics dye most of the time.

The Crumbling Biscuit.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 17:46   Link #5
Farix

It's not so much the brand name but who actually manufactures the disks. www.digitalfaq.com provides a good list of which disks are more stable and which are costar candidates.
Farix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-12, 19:26   Link #6
SlugZilla
woofles

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
By the way, is there such thing as DVD + RW dual layer, as in rewritable and 8.5 GB about?
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/04...ayer_approved/
Too slow, too late. Wait for HD-DVD burners.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote