AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-29, 21:03   Link #1
zidane247

Question does bittorrent affect some of my other dl?

alo.. i hv a question regarding bittorent.. u see, i'm a heavy user of these app.. so when we're connected i usually leave bittorent on even when i'm not using the pc at the moment (then again who doesn't).. this is mostly coz the connection is inconsistent. my big bro on the other hand uses kazaa a lot.. so everytime he's using the pc, he'll close my bittorent downloads.. says it will slow down his kazaa download.. is this true? will this app slow down kazaa download?

i dunno if i'm right about this, but i thought the speed of kazaa download depends on the bandwidth of the user we're connected with.. so if i'm right about this then my bittorent download shouldn't intefere much with kazaa downloading speed, right?? but, while bittorrent is downloading.. it uploads the same file to different users accross the net.. so does uploading and downloading simultaneously compromise my overall downloading speed? coz true enough, when bittorent is closed, some kazza dl manage to dl at a speed of more than 20kb(on broadband connection, that's quite fast).. so is these shere coincidence that kazaa is connected to someone with high bandwith or......my big bro keeps blabbering bout how my bittorent is slowing down his downloads.. so i would like to clear up this err, doubt..

so for those technical savvy ppl out there.. could u please explain this to me? i'd appreciate it.
zidane247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-29, 23:47   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It will slow downloading if you are using your full upload bandwidth. A complete description of this can be found in the BitTorrent Step-By-Step:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_Squirrel
Asymmetrical connections: If you are equipped with a standard 56k modem, cable modem, or ADSL, you are on an asymmetric connection. What it means is that you can download far more data than you can upload. Now it gets a bit technical, so bear with me. For each package of data that you download, a small amount of data will be sent back to the sender to tell him that you got his package. If you upload too much, this confirmation will be delayed, and the sender will pause and wait for you to either acknowledge that you got the package he sent or request it again. What this means to you is that you will have to leave "space" in your upload stream to acknowledge the data you recieve on the download stream.
To fix this problem get TheShad0w Experimental S-5.8.7 and cap the upload. Problem solved.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-30, 21:48   Link #3
zidane247

Question

hmm.. what does it mean when i get a prompt message " problem connecting to tracker -<urlopen error (10060 'operation time out')>

coz for some reason my download suddenly stop ~_~.. plz dont tell me i hv to download it all over again ~_~.. coz i'm almost done (86%) and currently there's only one seed..
Old 2003-12-31, 02:48   Link #4
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
well first of all you should learn how to write basic English.

It looks like you got a timeout, this could mean that Bittorrent wasn't able to connect peers within a certain time.

What kind of connection do you have?
Old 2003-12-31, 08:30   Link #5
zidane247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobu_Maehara
well first of all you should learn how to write basic English.

It looks like you got a timeout, this could mean that Bittorrent wasn't able to connect peers within a certain time.

What kind of connection do you have?
learn english?? that's an insult _.. what's wrong with my english???

neways i'm using a broadband connection.
Old 2003-12-31, 10:26   Link #6
artexx
Inactive Member

Nothing is wrong with your english, you're just using internet jargon.

Anway....

Sounds like you do have a BT timeout, but you don't have to start the DL over.

Just pick up where you left off-

Reclick on the link and select the same directory, BT will scan the existing incomplete torrent file and finish it-

<I though insulting or hostile posts were banned>

artexx
artexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-31, 17:18   Link #7
acefighter
Banned

bt is the worst program you can use if you want to limit. you cant do anything else really if you have that on
acefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-01, 00:01   Link #8
zidane247

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It will slow downloading if you are using your full upload bandwidth. A complete description of this can be found in the BitTorrent Step-By-Step:

To fix this problem get TheShad0w Experimental S-5.8.7 and cap the upload. Problem solved.
i've already tried using this version.. but perhaps i hvnt set it up correctly.. coz it's consuming much of my resources/ bandwith whatever...

i dont quite understand the step by step guide.. i mean.. if i use Asymmetrical connection, the guide said i should set the upload rate to about 1/3 of the max upload..

but what about the settings for option.. the dropdown menu gave options like unlimited, dial up/isdn, dsl/cable slow, dsl/ cable fast, t1 and t3.. which settings suit me best..

if i'm not mistaken my connection is 384(download)/128(upload)..
my connection get really sluggish when bittorent is on.. y is that? the bittorent download is reletively fast but it slows down everything else.. how can i avoid this?? i mean, it takes forever to load a page on ie.....

man,... ~_~ when it comes to techy stuff.. i'm juz no good -_-..
Old 2004-01-01, 01:06   Link #9
bOcyOgl
lv.2 频道贼

You've said you have 384/128 ul/dl limit, remember this is in kilobit/s

If you convert it, its approximately 45/15 kilobyte/s (1mbyte=1000kbyte)

There you go, I'm guessing that you have reached your max upload speed like nosanninwa said.

Once your overall upload reaches over 15kbyte/s, the download speed will fall dramatically -- you have to limit your overall upload!!!

Fix - In your shadow torrent, set your connection to 'dial-up connection' and max upload speed to around 3-6 kbyte/s, depending on how many torrents you are downloading at the same time.

I would suggest 1 or 2 torrents with 4kbyte/s upload per torrent. That should leave some upload bandwidth for your brother's kazaa downloads.

If he's using kazaa lite, then you can have more torrents downloading at the same time, since he doesnt need to upload.

As long as your max upload is not reached, your overall download speed should be good.

By the way is your computer connected to a router? If yes, then forwarding the ports would improve the download speed too.
bOcyOgl is offline   Reply With Quote