AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-11-07, 11:58   Link #1
eiri

Limiting upload

is there anyway to limit how much i upload, can i use the Experimental BitTorrent 3.2.1 Client to do that? i'm using the latest normal BitTorrent client now.

i've noticed that for certain things i download, my upload rate is much higher than my download rate so i'm uploading over 4/5 times what i download, even when i have less than 25% of the file. and my download rate would be going at a measly 0 - 2 KiB/s...

so, since i have limited bandwidth, i'd like to keep my uploads to about double my downloads. help?
eiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 13:15   Link #2
minglong
Jump!

There are loads of clients out there which allow you to throttle your upload. Here are 2:

There's SHADOW's client, which builds up from the official 3.3 client and thus doesn't require pre-allocation.

The alternative is the Experimental client which you were talking about, which uses an older version of BT and required pre-allocation.

Personally, I prefer the experiemental because I have little space on my laptop and like to know how much space I have left to play with once I started downloading a file.
Old 2003-11-07, 15:13   Link #3
NenMaster

u should use ABC BT client, its very good

http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-07, 20:13   Link #4
PocariSweat
ポカリが?どんな動物ですか?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiri
i've noticed that for certain things i download, my upload rate is much higher than my download rate so i'm uploading over 4/5 times what i download
High upload but low download is often a sign that something's blocking inbound connections. Usually happens when you're using a firewall or behind NAT'ing router of some type.

Also I had this problem with the standard. It wouldn't terminate cleanly sometimes leaving stuff still bound to the listener port. When that happened, the next torrent I'd start would have all inbound connections blocked unless I forced it to use a different port on the command line.

It's one reason I started using Azureus since it worked better for me (also shows if a connection is in or out bound so you can easily tell how many you have of each). Azureus has problems of its own though - I'm using an old version (2.0.1.0) since the newer ones all seem to have some protocol bugs that I think may make them prone to bad data.
PocariSweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-08, 13:30   Link #5
eiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocariSweat
High upload but low download is often a sign that something's blocking inbound connections. Usually happens when you're using a firewall or behind NAT'ing router of some type.
i am behind a firewall...

i'll try the Experimental client - i prefer pre-allocation too
eiri is offline   Reply With Quote