AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-03-22, 02:51   Link #61
DrFuko
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by neodrag38
Since Franky has been lined up with the other Straw Hats on a color spread.
I thought that spread was one made by fans. Did Oda really make it?

...and one more point... while I do agree that you are right with the ship about to bite the dust without the possibility of being fixed, the fact that the ship has a soul in the first place does not take away the mysterious factor of it possibly wandering like a broken down ghost ship that should not be sailing in the first place. Thus, it can allot for suddenly appearing close to Eines Lobby.

I´m not saying that WILL happen, but then again if anything can happen; Robin can turn out a Homersexual and the bad guy from Water 7 could actually turn out to be Hitler.

...and monkeys could fly out of my butt.

My point is, however, that since the Going Merry HAS a soul, and Oda has made it out to be an important Nakama, then it should have its last hurrah and be able to do one more miracle before dying. Its dissapearence from the script after it was dumped into the ocean is too simple. A nakama to simply die and wash ashore like that... well, that's just ridiculous. If it doesnt appear in Eines Lobby... well, who cares. However, it has to appear somewhere, somehow and it has to go out in fashion.

Otherwise, it would totally go against the notion that it had a soul in the first place.
DrFuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 07:58   Link #62
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wouldn't you like to know
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuko
I thought that spread was one made by fans. Did Oda really make it?
Made by fans? Of course not. The colorspreads in the manga clear were created by Oda.
Quote:
...and one more point... while I do agree that you are right with the ship about to bite the dust without the possibility of being fixed, the fact that the ship has a soul in the first place does not take away the mysterious factor of it possibly wandering like a broken down ghost ship that should not be sailing in the first place. Thus, it can allot for suddenly appearing close to Eines Lobby.
Except that the mysterious factor you speak of was explained with it being made clear that the ship would sink after being hit with only one wave. So expecting the ship to reach Enes Lobby when the worse Aqua Laguna in history has been occuring would be ignoring what the Klaubertman and shipbuilders gave off. The ship is done and buried pretty much.
Quote:
I´m not saying that WILL happen, but then again if anything can happen; Robin can turn out a Homersexual and the bad guy from Water 7 could actually turn out to be Hitler.

...and monkeys could fly out of my butt.

My point is, however, that since the Going Merry HAS a soul, and Oda has made it out to be an important Nakama, then it should have its last hurrah and be able to do one more miracle before dying. Its dissapearence from the script after it was dumped into the ocean is too simple. A nakama to simply die and wash ashore like that... well, that's just ridiculous. If it doesnt appear in Eines Lobby... well, who cares. However, it has to appear somewhere, somehow and it has to go out in fashion.

Otherwise, it would totally go against the notion that it had a soul in the first place.
Or not. It already has done its miracle where it was made clear that Merry's last chance of taking them anywhere was between going from Skypiea to Water 7.

The revelation of the Klaubertman and such are it going out in tragic fashion in which the ship is no longer really a ship. Franky was the one who actually explained about the Klaubertman yet he clearly has no delusions of the ship even being able to keep afloat in calm waters.

It doesn't go against the notion of the Klaubertman since it already did its job. But I guess we'll see what Oda does.
__________________

Last edited by neodrag38; 2006-03-22 at 08:10.
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 08:18   Link #63
SoulSeth
海賊王
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Norway
I hope that the Mugiwara group does get a new ship, a nice big and fast one. And I'm pretty sure that Merry is gone for ever.

But as we have seen alot of in One Piece, people who appear to be dead usually show up later in the series, som examples of this are Conis' father and Pell. And we never saw Merry get smashed, the scene was cut before she hit the water, so I won't entirely rule out the posibility that shes still 'alive'.
SoulSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 12:56   Link #64
neodrag38
DEATH TO 4Kids
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Wouldn't you like to know
Sure, it still existing is a possibility. But it making it all the way to Enes Lobby through Aqua Laguna is just plain loony.
__________________
neodrag38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 11:26   Link #65
suckingbud
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Will Franky join the strawhats

I haven't really got solid proof he will join them but I got a feeling he will. Afterall he is a shipwright and a good one 2, plus for most of the crewmembers we learned their past. So after the episodes were Franky's and Iceburg's past were explained I came up that Franky got a high chance of joining the crew after Enies Lobby.
What do you guys think of it?
suckingbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-23, 13:41   Link #66
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I think its all but a given now, that Franky will join them. He'll be a very wanted man after the Enies Lobby Incident.
MihawkXGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 14:04   Link #67
gonzoo21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
franky will be the new crew member and he will give luffy the ultimate ship that he built. Very obvious.
gonzoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 19:41   Link #68
d.Lughie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
he most probably will become the 8th crewmember....

*he had the dream
*he had the flashback
*he had the uniqueness (cyborg)
he is soo SH!!!
d.Lughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-24, 22:27   Link #69
bobrobberts
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
I don't think Franky will be the 8th crewmember. Something about him seems off. The way he looks, his voice, and even his back story doesn't seem to fit the rest of the crew. Yeah he has a tragic past, but it doesn't seem so tragic compared with everyone else. The things that happened to him was his fault, whereas the rest of the crew are victims of the situation. He shouldn't have built the warship, but at the same time, Iceburg has been telling him that for years. Also, he has Franky Family. Where ever he goes, they'll go with him. I think the 8th crewmember will be someone not shown. Someone we haven't met.

Here's my take on what might happen. Goin Merry sank. Even if you bring it up, you can't restore it. However, you can salvage pieces of it. The head piece is probably the most important. They're going to put that on a new ship. They may even use the same wood from Goin Merry to built parts of the ship. This way, she will still be part of the crew. They can portray it as her being reborn or upgraded. While everyone is fighting in the Lobby, the 8th crewmember will be working on the ship. It would probably be his/her design. Then, when the Strawhat pirates come, he/she will surprise them with the ship and ask to join the crew. We'll then know more about the person as more episodes go by. Oh, and the reason why Luffy lets him/her into the crew so easily is because as a hobbie, he/she is a musician.
bobrobberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 00:16   Link #70
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrobberts
I don't think Franky will be the 8th crewmember. Something about him seems off. The way he looks, his voice, and even his back story doesn't seem to fit the rest of the crew.
Sorry, but just because you don't like the way he looks doesn't mean he can't join. Look at Chopper. He's way more different than anyone else. All their backstories are entirely different. I don't see how any of them "fit" with each other more than another. Actually Luffy's past is the most different from everyone else's.

Quote:
Yeah he has a tragic past, but it doesn't seem so tragic compared with everyone else.
Yeah, seeing your father/mentor get accused of a crime he didn't commit and get shot right in front of you and as a sacrifice, get carried off to be executed so you don't have to be isn't as tragic as seeing your friend's arm get bit off from saving you but otherwise fine.

Quote:
The things that happened to him was his fault, whereas the rest of the crew are victims of the situation. He shouldn't have built the warship, but at the same time, Iceburg has been telling him that for years.
Luffy got himself into a bad situation by not trusting Shanks and going off to confront a dangerous man. It WASN'T Franky's fault that his ships were stolen and used for evil. He could have been more careful about them, but that's like placing the blame of a rape on the girl because she was dessed immodestly. And TOM said it was perfectly good for him to build those ships.

Quote:
Also, he has Franky Family. Where ever he goes, they'll go with him.
Who's to say? Oda mentioned in an SBS that Franky Family are made up of people who failed to get into Galley-la. I wouldn't be surprised if that is still their dream. Remember that Sanji said he'd never leave Baratie either.

Quote:
I think the 8th crewmember will be someone not shown. Someone we haven't met.
Here's my take on what might happen. Goin Merry sank. Even if you bring it up, you can't restore it. However, you can salvage pieces of it. The head piece is probably the most important. They're going to put that on a new ship. They may even use the same wood from Goin Merry to built parts of the ship. This way, she will still be part of the crew. They can portray it as her being reborn or upgraded. While everyone is fighting in the Lobby, the 8th crewmember will be working on the ship. It would probably be his/her design. Then, when the Strawhat pirates come, he/she will surprise them with the ship and ask to join the crew. We'll then know more about the person as more episodes go by. Oh, and the reason why Luffy lets him/her into the crew so easily is because as a hobbie, he/she is a musician.
OK, that smells so much of a bad Mary Sue that it's sickening. XD

No, no no. That's bad storywriting. It's entirely possible that it'll turn out that nobody joins this arc. But if it's anyone, it'll be Franky. Otherwise, big waste of character development.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 01:27   Link #71
bobrobberts
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Looks is everything when reading manga. You may not like it, but people don't want to see an ugly character. It's the mentality of the people. This is the reason why most main characters are appealling (Ussopp is an exception, but he's comic relief). Chopper obviously appeals to girls.

You cannot also compare Luffy's past with Franky. Luffy was a child when he saw Shanks arm missing. Seeing something like that is more tramatic when you're a child than a teenager. Look at Robin and the Buster Call. Though Franky's past is tragic, it doesn't compare with the crew. Every crew member's tragic past happened when they were children. Franky's past happened when he was a teenager.

Also, children do stupid things. You shouldn't be surprised if he confronts a dangerous man when he's pissed. When you're a teeenager, it's different. Though teenagers do many stupid things, they do know the difference between right and wrong. So going around building warships and thinking it's okay is just asking for trouble. Also, he puts it in a place when everyone can take it. I agree with you that a girl who gets raped because she wore something skimpy should never be blamed. But the analogy is wrong. A much better analogy would be, a guy wearing an expensive watch and walking into the ghettos in the middle of the night without even making an effort to hide it.

Though Franky Family are not his real family, he won't abandon them. They're portrayed more like brothers and sisters. Sanji's case was different. I got the feeling that he had a friend-relationship with the other cooks.

Don't be too quick to dismiss my story. There will be a carpenter by the end of the arc. I have a weird feeling it's a girl. Also, character development is only necessary for that arc. Franky is important for the Water 7 arc, that's the reason why he got so many manga pages devoted to him. Think of Norland Montblanc. They spent time on him because it was necessary to explain the plot. When this arc is over, I have a feeling they'll introduce a new character and that character will be the next crew member.
bobrobberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 02:07   Link #72
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrobberts
Looks is everything when reading manga. You may not like it, but people don't want to see an ugly character.

It's the mentality of the people. This is the reason why most main characters are appealling (Ussopp is an exception, but he's comic relief). Chopper obviously appeals to girls.
Only to extremely shallow people. And that's an opinion, which if you noticed, not all people share. Just like the people who won't watch One Piece because they say "The art is ugly". Yet One Piece is one of the most popular mangas in Japan in history.
And I do NOT think Franky is ugly at all. I think it's a great, attractive, wonderfully designed character. And I also happen think Usopp is pretty hot also. And he's NOT comic relief. Not anymore than Luffy is. If that's what you think, you have a lot of poor misunderstandings about the characters in One Piece.

Quote:
You cannot also compare Luffy's past with Franky. Luffy was a child when he saw Shanks arm missing. Seeing something like that is more tramatic when you're a child than a teenager.
Oh, that's bull. Trauma is trauma. And who cares? You're going off onto points that mean absolutely nothing. I think you're thinking way too hard about it when the answers right under your nose.

Quote:
A much better analogy would be, a guy wearing an expensive watch and walking into the ghettos in the middle of the night without even making an effort to hide it.
That's a bad analogy too, because there wasn't anything particularly threatening about the people in Water 7. You could walk into a ritsy restaurant in Beverly Hills and get your expensive watch stolen by an intelligent, scheming criminal who was keeping an eye out for such things. That is more akin to Franky's situation.

Quote:
Though Franky Family are not his real family, he won't abandon them.
And for this you have no proof.



Quote:
Don't be too quick to dismiss my story. There will be a carpenter by the end of the arc. I have a weird feeling it's a girl.
*dismisses*
If you're right about that, I'll eat my underwear.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 02:42   Link #73
bobrobberts
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
I'll hold you to that. Let's wait and see who the shipwright will be.

Your right about shallow people. Shallow people only want to see good looking people as main characters. But unfortunately for you, shallow people are the ones who controls the entertainment industry. And even if the art of One Piece is "ugly", the main characters are still the good looking ones compared with the other characters that you see.
bobrobberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 02:57   Link #74
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Looks is everything when reading manga. You may not like it, but people don't want to see an ugly character. It's the mentality of the people. This is the reason why most main characters are appealling (Ussopp is an exception, but he's comic relief). Chopper obviously appeals to girls.
this is Oda we're talking about...
Oda has a very unique style to his art very unlike other mangas... looking at most of his character designs you can tell that making them look cool/pretty is not his priority

Quote:
You cannot also compare Luffy's past with Franky. Luffy was a child when he saw Shanks arm missing. Seeing something like that is more tramatic when you're a child than a teenager. Look at Robin and the Buster Call. Though Franky's past is tragic, it doesn't compare with the crew. Every crew member's tragic past happened when they were children. Franky's past happened when he was a teenager.

Also, children do stupid things. You shouldn't be surprised if he confronts a dangerous man when he's pissed. When you're a teeenager, it's different. Though teenagers do many stupid things, they do know the difference between right and wrong. So going around building warships and thinking it's okay is just asking for trouble. Also, he puts it in a place when everyone can take it. I agree with you that a girl who gets raped because she wore something skimpy should never be blamed. But the analogy is wrong. A much better analogy would be, a guy wearing an expensive watch and walking into the ghettos in the middle of the night without even making an effort to hide it.
Now this is bull... just because he's older doesn't make it anymore his fault or any less tramatic... hell, placing more blame on Franky only adds to the tradgedy he felt at that time, and serves to add impact to his life... what would you say is more tradegic, watching your mentor die, or watching your mentor die partly due to you making a stupid mistakes... Watching your mentor die only leaves you with the "i wish i could have help him feeling"... but when it's party your fault, not only do you wish you could have helped them, but you also learn a very powerful lesson in your life...

IMO, Franky's past outweighs a number of the crew members
And don't even try to compare Franky's past with Robin's, cause Robin's past outweighs ALL of the strawhats

Hell, when it comes to flashback legths, i think Franky's is the second longest as well, falling behind Robin's...

Quote:
Though Franky Family are not his real family, he won't abandon them. They're portrayed more like brothers and sisters. Sanji's case was different. I got the feeling that he had a friend-relationship with the other cooks.
Ya, but after enies lobby, Franky will probably never be able to rest peaceful at water 7, cause i highly doubt the marines will remain quiet about him... Since franky family and the galley-la are all faceless, unimportatant poeple they probably won't be hunted down after they escape... Franky on the other hand is well known to the mairnes, he will need to move on if he doesn't want to get caught by the marines, and it's gonna be pretty hard for him to take his whole family with him...

Quote:
Don't be too quick to dismiss my story. There will be a carpenter by the end of the arc. I have a weird feeling it's a girl.
"i think Franky is ugly, and annoying... screw character development, i'd rather have some random nameless hot chick"

yes... Oda spends a huge amount of time detailing a character who also happens to be a shipwright, which is one crew member that the straw hats needs... and he's just gonna throw it ALL away for some random shipwright who had absoltuly no role in this entire arc... oh ya... that's GREAT storywriting....

Quote:
Franky is important for the Water 7 arc, that's the reason why he got so many manga pages devoted to him. Think of Norland Montblanc. They spent time on him because it was necessary to explain the plot. When this arc is over, I have a feeling they'll introduce a new character and that character will be the next crew member.
Bah... the only non-strawhat who can campare to Franky's level of development would proabbly be Vivi... though unlike Vivi Franky has fighting skills, has skills (shipwright) that that the straw hat crew desperatly needs, is a criminal (not royalty) and also has a very long tragic flashback (Vivi's troubles occured more recently) which serves to shape his entire character...

seriously, if Oda really was gonna just throw away Franky like that he would not have placed so much focus on him... Oda COULD have told Franky's flashback in just one chapter, maybe less... it would have the same impact, but ofcourse, if he's not gonna be a crew member, then the impact doesn't matter as much as just the information about him... and Oda COULD have also had him drop out of sight after he burned up the blueprints, instead of having play a role in the battle against CP9... afterall, there is little imporantce if using franky THAT much when he's just gonna become a thing of the past...

Face it, Oda has placed a HUGE amount of work into Franky's character, more work then he has placed in most other characters when they were first showed up...

Quote:
Shallow people only want to see good looking people as main characters. But unfortunately for you, shallow people are the ones who controls the entertainment industry.
And unfortunatly for your story, unlike the entertainment industry Oda isn't that shallow... His whole art sytle reflects that he doesn't give a damn about popular opinion... If he really cared that much he would have tried to shift his style to something more common and he proabbly would have redesigned many of his characters
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-25, 12:38   Link #75
d.Lughie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Actually, I thought Franky was a stupid character at first..

Well.. it turned out that he was one of the most interesting character there..
Not only is he a combination of Ace Ventura + Popeye... What really amazes me is that.. he is a cyborg.. he uses parts of his bodies to attack.. clearly this is something im going to look forward if he joins...

Franky's moves could be spoiler so..
Spoiler:
d.Lughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 03:04   Link #76
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Just to point out one thing on bobrobberts's Luffy vs. Franky's past theory:

When Franky was Luffy's age, he was ABANDONED by his parents. Which is worse? see a friend's arm got cut off but there still are family and friend in village that love you when you grow up, or get abandoned by your parents, got a mentor who took you in only to see him get arrest because of something you made, and then had a NEAR DEATH experience......


Not to mention in the end of Franky's flashback it showed that his dream was simply to build a Dream Ship like Tom did, a Dream Ship that can sail to all parts of the world. Is it just me, or does that dream perfectly compliments everyone else's dream [except for Zoro] in Luffy's Crew?


I'll also admit that I didn't really like Franky at first, but he quickly grew on me in both his personality and ability. Right now one of my top five character along with Luffy, Robin, Zoro, and Mihawk.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 19:54   Link #77
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Yeah, that's a good point, I forgot about that. Having your parents dump you off is one of the worst things that can happen to a kid.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 20:34   Link #78
willynilly
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
iIs obvious he'll join. Because if you noticed anyone who beats or fights with the main enemy or one of the main enemies top henchmen they becomes a crewmember.
For example:
Zoro- defeated axe-hand
Ussopp- well he really didnt beat anyone, just helped in defeating Claw's crew
Sanji- fought Kreig and his top henchmen
Nami- she did try to fight Arlong, but it was pointless. But it was obvious she was gonna join.
Chopper- he fought Wapol and beat his two henchmen
Robin- tried to kill Crocodile, but lost
And finally Franky- he's currently helping Luffy's crew defeat CP9

So its kind of obvious if you look at whats in front of you
willynilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-28, 21:39   Link #79
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Ussopp- well he really didnt beat anyone, just helped in defeating Claw's crew
He took out Jango.

I don't think there is any particular requirement, though. Everything about Franky does point to him joining. One other thing I can point out is that every crewmember has some connection or fasciantion with pirates. Franky was abandoned from a pirate ship, and showed fascination in building a pirate ship.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-29, 02:24   Link #80
DrFuko
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
this is Oda we're talking about...
Robin's past outweighs ALL of the strawhats
I disagree. Nami > Robin. Secondary mother killed in front of her when she was a child (not to mention that she carried much of the guilt), child labor for the guy that killed your mother and enslaved your village, was considered a traitor by everyone who she cares about...

beats the sheer guilt of the bloody buster call and the guilt of her constant betrayal.

Well... maybe they are quite similar, but Robin's past definitely does not outweight Nami's by the large margin you claim.
DrFuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.