AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-05-29, 16:57   Link #81
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
DrFuko, you must have not read the flashback chapters on Robin's past. While Nami watch her adapted mother died, Robin was pulled away from her birth mother right after she meet her again knowing that her mother will get killed by the Marine.

Then she watched everyone that were ever nice to her get slaghtered, including her new best friend. Not to mention that even before thwn her uncle's family that took her in while her mom have away treated her like sh#t and as were most of the villagers.

The only reason she ends up betraying every group she join was because everyone that took her in after the incident ends up betraying her first and selling her out in order to get the bounties. These incedent twisted the way she approach things.

I'll admit that Nami had a sad past, but compare to Robin's she's obviously in second place along with Franky in Strawhat crew (provided that Franky do join as 8th member) as far as tragic past go.

After all, Nami still have her adapted sister that she can confide in and villigers that loves her even if they went algon with Nami's act. But Robin have no one.....

Last edited by Undertaker; 2006-05-31 at 00:45.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 23:24   Link #82
AMS
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
I would like the new ship to resemble going merry with luffy's seat the head of going merry. And the new member will and better be Franky.
AMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 22:29   Link #83
badmanversion1
LandLubber
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Isn't Franky a dis-mantler ??? i know he "was" a shipwright but ....


ahhh doesn't matter , i like his reactions to the dumb situations the SH's get into so i hope he can get luffy to trust him after the whole ussopp thing and join he does pull out guitars and play music abit


or maybe it was all a ruse by oda and the new member is actually "Bob" Who live in impel down
badmanversion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 06:46   Link #84
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Middle of insanity
Well, I seriously think it'll be franky. All my rumors I have on hand say otherwise, but then again, a lot of them are from huge fanboys, so take what they say with a grain of salt. I've certainly learned to. lol. Oda's leading us too close to making Franky an official naka to NOT think he's going to be the 8th person. Which still begs the question about the Going Merry since you see it in the OP, yet it's supposidly dead.
__________________
Visit my new writing website at:
www.realmsofimagination.net
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 14:15   Link #85
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
They have no new ship to show. What else can they do?

Meh, don't listen to fanboys. They know nothing that anyone else knows. There haven't been any industry/author leaked rumors, so anything they say is only their opinion.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 04:22   Link #86
Nameless
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
They have no new ship to show. What else can they do?

Meh, don't listen to fanboys. They know nothing that anyone else knows. There haven't been any industry/author leaked rumors, so anything they say is only their opinion.
Only post that matters.

Chuixupo sealed this thread a few posts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrobberts
Your right about shallow people. Shallow people only want to see good looking people as main characters. But unfortunately for you, shallow people are the ones who controls the entertainment industry. And even if the art of One Piece is "ugly", the main characters are still the good looking ones compared with the other characters that you see.
Wow, so Usopp being on the show just completely went over your head? Do you even watch One Piece? Vivi was hot, fans wanted her to stay, but she DIDNT. I'll give you a hint, the manga One Piece has gone on for a VERY long time. It's arguably one of the most successful manga franchises in HISTORY. No other anime has prolonged this one and retained its popularity. Not even Dragon Ball can compare, because even that sold out.

You honestly think the writers give a crap what fanboys think? I think at this point, they know that sticking to how they want the story to go is what will make One Piece a successful story, and it is true.

They're consistent, that's the beautiful thing about One Piece. Vivi isn't coming back to the crew, and if she is, she won't be the 8th, because they're introducing an 8th crew member soon and she's NOWHERE near this Water 7 arc. If she was going to come back, they'd at least hint her involvement in the arc, but such is not the case.

Quote:
I disagree. Nami > Robin. Secondary mother killed in front of her when she was a child (not to mention that she carried much of the guilt), child labor for the guy that killed your mother and enslaved your village, was considered a traitor by everyone who she cares about...
Ahh, another fan emerges. Sorry brother, but Nami is young, Robin is a very mature woman. While Nami can still be called a girl on one hand, Robin is very much a woman. Nami suffered what... I believe it was 10 years of servitude to Arlong? She was 18 when she met Luffy and he took her when she was 8? Robin suffered twenty years of struggle and heartache, and to top it off, after the 20 years the thing she chased after was failed. At least after 10 years Nami saw her village be freed. Robin is STILL searching for what she wanted, and to top it off she was forced to go against her nakama after joining Luffy's crew and work with villains again.

My heart goes to Robin and I love every member of SH, not one over another.

If you seriously think Nami's backstory outweighs Robin's in tragedy, then you need to rewatch the Crocodile arc/Robin's backstory, because you're very sadly mistaken. The only reason it can be interpreted that Nami's past outweighs hers, is because in the Arlong arc, the entire arc was based on her past, whereas Luffy's grudge with Crocodile had nothing to do with Robin, it had to do with Vivi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyone
Masira
NO.

Good day, sirs.
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 15:55   Link #87
DrFuko
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless
If you seriously think Nami's backstory outweighs Robin's in tragedy, then you need to rewatch the Crocodile arc/Robin's backstory, because you're very sadly mistaken. The only reason it can be interpreted that Nami's past outweighs hers, is because in the Arlong arc, the entire arc was based on her past, whereas Luffy's grudge with Crocodile had nothing to do with Robin, it had to do with Vivi.
Ahhhhh, finally a post that is worthwhile.

Is it better to live a life of refusal and mental torture than to live a life of loneliness and utter guilt? Keep in mind that Nami had to betray every person she was with in order to get money to pay off her ¨debt.¨ Regardless, this is a moot point. This is like implying that dying from a nuclear explosion is worse than dying from a bullet to your head. In the end, you can die instantaneously from both.

I believe that both woman´s emotional trauma are overkill. Then, there is the notion of Nami´s physical slavery. She was, after all, working for her mother´s declared assassin. So is 20 years of mental distress worth 10 years of mental AND physical bondage? Some might say yes, some might say no. My opinion is that one is not obviously superior over the other.

Even if you DO regard Robin´s past to be MUCH worse than Nami´s, Nami´s past is still nothing to scoff at.
DrFuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 16:37   Link #88
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuko
I believe that both woman´s emotional trauma are overkill. Then, there is the notion of Nami´s physical slavery. She was, after all, working for her mother´s declared assassin. So is 20 years of mental distress worth 10 years of mental AND physical bondage? Some might say yes, some might say no. My opinion is that one is not obviously superior over the other.
Robin had a great deal of physical distress aswell... She was on the marines most wanted and being sold out by everyone she ever came close to trusting... and when she was on the run from the marines she was working for any employer that was willing to take her in... and considering most of her employers were pirates and criminals, working for them was probably about as bad (give or take) as working for Arlong (physically speaking)... so Robin's got 20 years of physical distress aswell

Quote:
Even if you DO regard Robin´s past to be MUCH worse than Nami´s, Nami´s past is still nothing to scoff at.
now i don't think anyone was argueing that Nami's distress was nothing...
just that one outways the other... i'd probably list Robin first and Nami second then probably Franky
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 23:24   Link #89
d.Lughie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuko
Ahhhhh, finally a post that is worthwhile.

Is it better to live a life of refusal and mental torture than to live a life of loneliness and utter guilt? Keep in mind that Nami had to betray every person she was with in order to get money to pay off her ¨debt.¨ Regardless, this is a moot point. This is like implying that dying from a nuclear explosion is worse than dying from a bullet to your head. In the end, you can die instantaneously from both.

.
wow.. Robin had to betray all her nakama that she truly loved and they are the only people she really loved and the only people that loved her...
d.Lughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 09:00   Link #90
ShikaShika
無罪
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: もう東京ではない
Age: 33
I don't really think you can compare the two, they're both awful. Though personally I'm having a hard time thinking up anything worse than having to watch your surrogate mother being shot and killed right before your eyes, knowing it was going to happen and not being able to do anything about it. I think that moment outways any specific moment in Robin's childhood, but Robin's agony went on much longer, so on a whole, I just don't think you can compare the two...
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 19:36   Link #91
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika
I don't really think you can compare the two, they're both awful. Though personally I'm having a hard time thinking up anything worse than having to watch your surrogate mother being shot and killed right before your eyes, knowing it was going to happen and not being able to do anything about it. I think that moment outways any specific moment in Robin's childhood, but Robin's agony went on much longer, so on a whole, I just don't think you can compare the two...

If it is just that one thing, than there is certainly a point to be made. Like you said, see someone die is worse than knowing someone is gonna die.

But it was not just that one thing, like my reply stated on top of this page which DrFuko so convenetly left un-discussed, The WHOLE island was destroyed and its villagers massacared, and Robin did see that happen, including seeing her best friend frozen, and her mentor shot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuko
Is it better to live a life of refusal and mental torture than to live a life of loneliness and utter guilt? Keep in mind that Nami had to betray every person she was with in order to get money to pay off her ¨debt.¨ Regardless, this is a moot point. This is like implying that dying from a nuclear explosion is worse than dying from a bullet to your head. In the end, you can die instantaneously from both.

I believe that both woman´s emotional trauma are overkill. Then, there is the notion of Nami´s physical slavery. She was, after all, working for her mother´s declared assassin. So is 20 years of mental distress worth 10 years of mental AND physical bondage? Some might say yes, some might say no. My opinion is that one is not obviously superior over the other.

While Nami is physically enslaved by Arlong, she is able to find comfort with her surrogate sister and knowing that her village is at least safe [albeit act as Arlong's hostages]. In addition Nami feel no remorse in her betraying untill she met Luffy. She think those that were betrayed deserve it and treated as sort of revenge for her as well. On the other hand, Robin have NO ONE to turn to during those times and was betrayed many times before she started to betray others as a protective measure [from being betrayed].

So when the two compare, Nami at least has some freedom to do most things as long as she draw sea maps, has place to turn to when she can hold on anymore and need some comfort, and s find some channel to release some of the bad things happen to her by betraying and stealing from pirates, but Robin has nothing, she can only keep on betraying other and running away just to survive.

Also keep in mind that even before the Buster Call incident, Robin had a crappy life already. Her mother left her to her brother only to have her aunt treat her like a dog. she got beaten just for trying out her cousin's cloth, eating only dry bread while they goes out to celebrate, and still get yelled for eating too much. Not to mention most villager and all the kid look at her like a monster and freak of nature and try to put her down as much as possible.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuko
Even if you DO regard Robin´s past to be MUCH worse than Nami´s, Nami´s past is still nothing to scoff at.
Agree, While I do regard Robin's past to be much worse than Nami's Nami's past still out weight every other StrawHat Pirate by miles with exception of maybe Franky if he joins.

IMO, Robin has the worst past with a comfortable lead over Nami who in turn have confortable lead over Franky, than it's distant fourth for Chopper follow by Sanji then Zorro with Usopp and Luffy dead last. That last three has it easy compare to others.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 19:38   Link #92
forest child
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Age: 21
Uhhhhhhhhhhh........whats Robin's past?
forest child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 19:45   Link #93
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Uuuuh, why not just read the story and find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker
IMO, Robin has the worst past with a comfortable lead over Nami who in turn have confortable lead over Franky, than it's distant fourth for Chopper follow by Sanji then Zorro with Usopp and Luffy dead last. That last three has it easy compare to others.
You're entitled to your opinion of who's past you think is saddest, but saying "they had it easy" and "they're dead last" just because they didn't have as much over-the-top tear-jerking screen time devoted to them is pushing it to far.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 19:53   Link #94
forest child
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Age: 21
Yeah......Robin's had it pretty bad hasn't she?
forest child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-13, 20:38   Link #95
Undertaker
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuixupu
Uuuuh, why not just read the story and find out?



You're entitled to your opinion of who's past you think is saddest, but saying "they had it easy" and "they're dead last" just because they didn't have as much over-the-top tear-jerking screen time devoted to them is pushing it to far.

Come down, I just didn't want to go into another big paragraph comparing each cases. But since you questions my use of word and make me sound like a troll, then I'll offer my defense.

First like you said it is my opinion, but up-till the ranking I offer facts and compare them and state my case, there is no need to treat the whole thing like a troll post.

Luffy is dead last in my ranking, how would you perfer me to say it? It is just a common pharase use to describe people who come in last.

Now, OK, "they had it easy" might sound a little over-board, but again what pharase do you expect me to use when IMO they are having easier life than rest of the crew.

Both Luffy and Usopp and to certain extend Zorro, all has reasonablly happy or normal childhood despise the event that took place. Luffy didn't decide to be a pirate because Shanks saved him and lost his arm, The event only further his desire to be a pirate [Luffy already stated his desire of wanting to be a pirate before the event in manga] and prompt the vow of returning Strawhat to Shank. Other then have he had a perfectly happy childhood and is living his dream.

Same can be said of Usopp, though the fact that his mother died of sickness, caused the change in ways he act with lying [albeit with good intension] and and over-exaduration. It did little to change how he looks at thing and how to live as well. Even though he could easily blame his father for leaving as the cause of his mother's death, he did not blame Jesupp. He still think him as a hero and want to be like him. And again, he had a fairly happy childhood.

Zorro's case is a bit special because of the timing of the event. Just when Zorro come to understand how the girl felt and they made the vows and promise to be the best swordsman/woman, she died the next day and in such a frigil and ridicule way for a swordsman that cause Zorro's reactiion. He is really the first one that got his life changed and the his view of the world changed due to an event that while the event ifself if not as big a deal and less tramatic, it is MORE influencial then either Luffy or Usopp's past. And while it is unknown if Zorro's childhood is happy due to his personality, it can be assume that at least he had a normal life in the dojo as a trainee can be.


My point is, compare to the rest of the crew, Luffy and Usopp at least enjoy their live up now which is more than I can said for the rest of the crew.

And while you have problem with me use of word, I also have problem with yours. You can easily stateing my choose of words is not appropriate instead of sticking to someone with "as much over-the-top tear-jerking screen time devoted to them is pushing it to far"

Trolls are something I hate in forums, since I was a Admin in now off-line Forum Neko Family. As such, I also find your tone confrontive.

You made me sound like a troll that I'm not. If it is not your intention then you just make same mistake as I did. However if it is your intention, then I have nothing more to say to you except that you are excatly the same type of person you think I am.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 01:27   Link #96
Chuixupu
Shikachu
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Huh? How the heck did I make your post sound like a troll post? If I thought your post was trollish, I wouldn't have responded at all other than saying it was trollish. All I did was give my own opinion in return, and I get this long-winded reply of hurt ego. Sheesh, sorry man.
I don't think you're any particular type of person at all. I think you're reading far too much between the lines.

I think there's a good chance that we haven't seen all of Luffy's past. There might be a lot tied into the history of One Piece that we aren't allowed to see yet, though from what we did see, it's true that it's not incredibly sad.

As for Usopp, I really do think he childhood was very sad, when you consider the fact that he was left all alone for most of his life. He seemed to have no friends until he met those 3 younger kids, which was a lot later on, and they don't exactly seem like the kind of friends you can go to for advice, they more or less looked up to him. It also is almost morbidly sad that he so resisted believing his mother's death that he actually ran around still yelling that the pirates were coming even AFTER she died. And I'm still not entirely convinced that his admiration for his father isn't covering some hidden anger. It's always been Usopp's personality to cover the truth with what he wants to believe in its place. Take Going Merry, for instance.

I'm not saying that because I think that it rivals Robin's past or anything, I just don't like it when people look at something so EXTREME and act like the other childhoods are nothing. You may not be doing that, it's just a little bit of pent up frustration from so many people who DO that.

Last edited by Chuixupu; 2006-06-14 at 01:41.
Chuixupu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 01:48   Link #97
Nameless
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Again I agree with Chuixupu, and you have to remember, the extremes of a person's past can all fuel a certain type of lifestyle.

Take Chopper's past for example or even Zoro's.

While sorrow and rage is a good device to fuel courage/heroism, they're not the only ones. Admiration is a good one (Luffy to Shanks), dream-chasing (Sanji).

It's not like Zoro's past was too great either. I think his connection with whats-her-face was just as meaningful as the connection between Nami and her mother and Luffy and Shanks. His story is kind of sad too because the way she died was so sudden and he made a lifelong commitment to her.

It's also sad that he comes across a girl that looks EXACTLY like her and we can all tell he's hiding his feelings in regards to her too, that's why he tries to "tough guy" it and runs away from her.

Everyone on Luffy's ship has a connection and deep past that makes their commitment stronger. One person's past isn't so important as to overshadow everyone else's. Even Vivi's past was rather compelling. The thing that's so impacting about Luffy is that he's very head strong about BEING there for everyone else. That's why they become his nakama to begin with.
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 08:34   Link #98
forest child
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Age: 21
Robin's past was the worst. Then its Nami, then Sanji, then Chopper, then Zolo, then Usopp, and lastly, Luffy.
forest child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 10:46   Link #99
karumofin
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
however, i honestly think that luffy hasnt had his "real" flashback yet.
karumofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 15:44   Link #100
d.Lughie
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
wow.. that'd be cool.. if that isn't the real flashback..

why do I now think that.. of all the SH.. Luffy is the one we don't know the most??
d.Lughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.