AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-06-12, 21:18   Link #1
shaolo

S-Freedom+I-Justice+Destiny+Legend=Evolution?

Quote:
This just in from the Japanese news site Char's Custom Blog...

The latest Gundam Seed Destiny publication, Takeshobo's Perfect Archive Series: Gundam Seed Destiny, includes a special Q&A with setting advisor Shigeru Morita and Sunrise's setting production department. In an excerpt posted on Char's Custom Blog, Morita explains the fabled "new power source" of the Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice: hyper deuterion.

Yep, that's right. The new Freedom and Justice use the same power source as ZAFT's Destiny and Legend Gundams (as well as the Providence ZAKU from the Destiny MSV series). As in the kit manuals, Morita describes this as a hybrid power system which includes both deuterion technology and a nuclear engine, and he adds that "since the two generators complement one another, in theory power-downs won't occur. It's the same as a nuclear aircraft carrier with a ten-year fuel supply cycle." When he's asked how come the Destiny runs out of power during the battle at Orb, he laughs and asks that we just assume its deuterion charge couldn't keep up.

There's some followup discussion on a related message board which clarifies this a bit. Apparently the deuterion system simply functions like a capacitor or battery, storing power from the nuclear engine in the form of deuterions and then converting them back to electricity as needed, so that the mobile suit never runs out of power. (Despite Morita's excuses, the Char's Custom Blog writer grumbles that the Destiny's power-down is probably just a case of writer error.) In this case, I suppose that earlier deuterion-based mobile suits actually store their energy in the form of deuterions, rather than using the deuterion beam as a means to recharge a conventional battery.

Meanwhile, if the Strike Freedom is powered by a hyper deuterion system, I guess the "laser-ignited fusion engine" mentioned in the package text of the Cosmic Region action figure must refer to its propulsion system rather than its power source, just as other folks suggested in an earlier thread. (This is the same propulsion system used by the Archangel.)

And lastly, as per a recent DOM Trooper thread, the MSV profile for the DOM Trooper original version indicates that its Screaming Nimbus force field is based on Mirage Colloid technology, which may account for its vague resemblance to the Destiny's wings. This means that the Destiny, Legend, Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, and DOM Trooper are all in violation of the Junius Treaty, which probably won't come as a surprise to the viewer.

-- Mark

While this doesn't explain in great detall and this may or may not be official, the thread http://s11.invisionfree.com/Gundam_E...?showtopic=642 from Gundam Evolution do shed some light on the Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Reactor.
shaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-12, 21:26   Link #2
shaolo

The Title for this thread is wrong. It's supposed to be S-Freedom+I-Justice+Destiny+Legend=Hyper-Deuterion Nuclear Reactor?
Old 2006-06-14, 00:19   Link #3
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
I also wonder about the deuterion beam thing. If it was just an upgrade of Impulse with all Silhouettes in one frame (Destiny), it should also be able to utilize the deuterion beam power up from the Minerva, right?

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 08:51   Link #4
Strike Mk.II

The 1st Generation mobile suits (and Gundams) used battery that directly stored energy and required the typical electric recharge.

Similarily with the 1st Generation line of nuclear powered mobile suits for example Freedom, the energy created from its nuclear engine would be used to constantly charge Freedom's battery/capacitor so its energy wouldnt run out.

Okay here we go I think this is basically what Shigeru Morita was trying to say:

The 2nd Generation of Gundams (Saviour, Impulse, Chaos etc) used a new type of battery where energy would be stored in the battery in the form of deuterions, then converted in to electricity when needed. The battery could store more energy this way and provide a longer operating time and power output to the arnaments. Unlike normal battery, this type can be recharged almost immediatly.

The 2nd Generation Nuclear gundams (Strike Freedom, Destiny etc) use a new hyper deuterion nuclear system that incorporates this new battery technology.
The energy created from the nuclear engine would be stored in the battery in the form of deuterions then converted to electricty when needed. The battery/capacitor is therefore being constantly replenished by the nuclear engine thus energy shouldnt run out.

In the case of Destiny's battery/capacitor being low on energy in ep 42, It proberly was just the writers error.
My own explanation for that though is that Destiny's WOL uses a lot of energy, and because it was being constantly used the battery was being drained faster than it could be recharged. Thats just my own view of what I think the writer for that ep was trying to go for, even if it was plot device

Honestly though, I wish they'd give this info from the start. Destiny, Legend, Strike Freedom, Infinite justice all use Hyper Duetrion Nuclear system, and that also means they are all equipped with nuclear jammer cancellers as well. That also means they are violating Junius 7 treaty which means illegal

Last edited by Strike Mk.II; 2006-06-14 at 16:13.
Strike Mk.II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 09:36   Link #5
shaolo

It,s the same thing I get from the other forum and yes this info should have been out from the start.
Old 2006-06-14, 09:43   Link #6
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolo
It,s the same thing I get from the other forum and yes this info should have been out from the start.
Knowing the way things worked out amongst the animation team, they probably didn't have time to iron out all the details until recently. During the time GSD was being aired, contradictory information on the details of CE were being released by different staff members. They didn't give us the information then, likely because they couldn't.
Old 2006-06-14, 09:56   Link #7
shaolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Knowing the way things worked out amongst the animation team, they probably didn't have time to iron out all the details until recently. During the time GSD was being aired, contradictory information on the details of CE were being released by different staff members. They didn't give us the information then, likely because they couldn't.
But this is one of many things that the staff and others have to iron out.
Old 2006-06-14, 10:11   Link #8
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolo
But this is one of many things that the staff and others have to iron out.
...and they did, but only way after the fact.

Those who had been reading the various past interviews of GSD staff would realise there are discrepancies in their explanation of mysteries in the show. Quite simply, there was chaos in the technical details involving the entire CE universe, and only recently did the details get sorted out. It's not that the staff members don't have explanations; they simply didn't agree with each other on who's explanations were more correct.
Old 2006-06-14, 10:33   Link #9
shaolo

Well better late than never.
Old 2006-06-14, 22:24   Link #10
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
I thought Destiny was low on power also because it copped a direct rail cannon hit which caused the PS armor to drain more power?
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-14, 23:59   Link #11
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Flores
I thought Destiny was low on power also because it copped a direct rail cannon hit which caused the PS armor to drain more power?
The issue, is that a nuclear engine MS isn't suppose to be low on power at all. I am hoping that scene would be retconed and removed in the compilation, but that may be too much to ask.